{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Message to Nigel

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Message to Nigel

Postby yorkshire stag » Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:57 am

:coys:
oldweststander wrote:
PaulG wrote:There's a clear distinction to be made here between opinions and criticism, particularly arrogant criticism of a long-standing and successful manager. To suggest that NC is clearly blind to the truth if he can't see that we need a defender or a striker is arrogance beyond belief. To express an opinion that we might be better off with one or both is fine. The fact is that NC knows more about how to build a squad than everyone on here combined. This site is for expressing opinions, but to suggest that you know better than the manager and his staff, given their record, is arrogant nonsense.

Not seen such a following since the Bible was published.

I rate Nigel and it is not arrogant to suggest he accepts having a unreliable
central defence then suggests Clarke and Bowery can play there, that is pure tosh.

JJ best of the bunch, Hewitt mistake prone, Hawkins ok in the air, Harbottle learning his trade.

Crying out for experience and mobility at the back. Then move Hawkins up front where he posses a danger but not a danger to us

That's me done, said my piece.

Absolutely spot on youth, how some don’t see this is absolutely baffling to me
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Stagspur » Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:22 pm

Paul G Can you please let the stagsnet members know what opinions we are all allowed

Many thanks
Stagspur
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:24 pm

This type of thread (three games in) is in my opinion unhelpful.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:38 pm

Amber Andy wrote:This type of thread (three games in) is in my opinion unhelpful.

Absolutely!
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:40 pm

Broomo, regarding what sandy pate said about flipping what you said and turn it back on yourself. He could do and I'll show how

You say people reckon that had he done something different automatically means we'd have a more positive result. That's the part that can be flipped on yourself.

You appear to suggest that whatever result Clough got was the absolute best we could have got. Nothing more could have been done about the result

Now I personally don't think you actually hold that opinion. However there are a few times where, reading a post of yours, it could be applied.

Clough does what he feels is best, as he should. It's his job. I'm certain Clough would agree that playes and managements careers live and die by their decisions.

On a fans forum, to some people, some players are as good as their last good game and others are only as good as their last bad game. It's part and parcel of a fans forum.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby PaulG » Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:46 pm

Stagspur, in both my posts on this topic, I've drawn a clear distinction between opinion and criticism. That some posters can't distinguish between the two is the problem.
PaulG
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby broomo » Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:49 pm

gazza1988 wrote:Broomo, regarding what sandy pate said about flipping what you said and turn it back on yourself. He could do and I'll show how

You say people reckon that had he done something different automatically means we'd have a more positive result. That's the part that can be flipped on yourself.

You appear to suggest that whatever result Clough got was the absolute best we could have got. Nothing more could have been done about the result

Now I personally don't think you actually hold that opinion. However there are a few times where, reading a post of yours, it could be applied.

Clough does what he feels is best, as he should. It's his job. I'm certain Clough would agree that playes and managements careers live and die by their decisions.

On a fans forum, to some people, some players are as good as their last good game and others are only as good as their last bad game. It's part and parcel of a fans forum.

Except I'm not suggesting that at all. I'm suggesting I don't know for certain and neither do they/you.

I can't help that posters read things into my posts that aren't there.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby HitchcocksShins » Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:59 pm

What a fun read
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:29 pm

broomo wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:Broomo, regarding what sandy pate said about flipping what you said and turn it back on yourself. He could do and I'll show how

Except I'm not suggesting that at all. I'm suggesting I don't know for certain and neither do they/you.

Exactly. You aren't suggesting it but some posts it can be implied. It's the Same the other way around.

We are reading text. Very difficult to, at times, detect tone. I've read posts in ways the person who posted didn't intend. Queried and set straight. Job done.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Random Hero » Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:34 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
broomo wrote:

Exactly. You aren't suggesting it but some posts it can be implied. It's the Same the other way around.

We are reading text. Very difficult to, at times, detect tone. I've read posts in ways the person who posted didn't intend. Queried and set straight. Job done.

An der Elbe, werden Träume wahr
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:40 pm

broomo wrote:

Except you are suggesting Saint Nigel never gets it wrong. Just about everyone on this board knows that Bowery never has been, isn’t, and never will be a centre half. The poor bloke got sent off on Tuesday because he has no idea what he is doing back there and got caught in no man’s land and so had to commit a professional foul.

Yet according to you Saint Nigel can’t be criticised for that decision because; he’s the manager; he sees them in training; he’s got the experience etc etc. Well he can be and he should be. Bowery can’t play centre half end of, and if Saint Nigel puts him there again it’s a mistake, full stop.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:57 pm

It was an experiment in a cup game. Occasionally they pay off Remember Dudley Roberts centre half to centre forward. For goodness sake ! What an awful thread.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:59 pm

Big yella wrote:
broomo wrote:

Except you are suggesting Saint Nigel never gets it wrong. Just about everyone on this board knows that Bowery never has been, isn’t, and never will be a centre half. The poor bloke got sent off on Tuesday because he has no idea what he is doing back there and got caught in no man’s land and so had to commit a professional foul.

Yet according to you Saint Nigel can’t be criticised for that decision because; he’s the manager; he sees them in training; he’s got the experience etc etc. Well he can be and he should be. Bowery can’t play centre half end of, and if Saint Nigel puts him there again it’s a mistake, full stop.

Where's this Saint Nigel raspberrys come from? Knock it off.

Criticise all you want, just don't complain when I a) don't join in or b) pull up ridiculous over the top comments.

I really don't get your fascination of needing me to have a go at him.

We went through this last season remember? Long season ahead, poor team selection, rubbish transfer window, blah blah blah.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby PaulG » Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:26 pm

It clearly isn't the case that everyone one here knows that Bowery will never be a centre back. No-one on here has seen him play there except for half a match against opponents from a higher league. So what's the basis for your certainty, and what makes you sure that NC must be wrong? Even more so with Clarke, who none of us have ever seen play there, but perhaps NC has, in training. Or, if he hasn't, he may have seen aspects of their abilities which could be adapted to playing centre back. It's your certainty that NC is wrong, based on an almost complete absence of evidence, that seems odd.
PaulG
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:06 pm

PaulG wrote:It clearly isn't the case that everyone one here knows that Bowery will never be a centre back. No-one on here has seen him play there except for half a match against opponents from a higher league. So what's the basis for your certainty, and what makes you sure that NC must be wrong? Even more so with Clarke, who none of us have ever seen play there, but perhaps NC has, in training. Or, if he hasn't, he may have seen aspects of their abilities which could be adapted to playing centre back. It's your certainty that NC is wrong, based on an almost complete absence of evidence, that seems odd.
Spot on.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:19 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
PaulG wrote:It clearly isn't the case that everyone one here knows that Bowery will never be a centre back. No-one on here has seen him play there except for half a match against opponents from a higher league. So what's the basis for your certainty, and what makes you sure that NC must be wrong? Even more so with Clarke, who none of us have ever seen play there, but perhaps NC has, in training. Or, if he hasn't, he may have seen aspects of their abilities which could be adapted to playing centre back. It's your certainty that NC is wrong, based on an almost complete absence of evidence, that seems odd.
Spot on.

A bit like Nigel being wrong over Hewitt, who you want released Andy :lol:

Why are you so certain NC is wrong over Hewitt, after all he let two other defenders go who are now playing in League 1 and kept Hewitt who you claim isn't good enough for League 2.

It is quite clear that many fans (me included) believe we need another centre back and there is nothing wrong with saying that and also having the view that the manager is wrong if he decides not to strengthen that area before the window closes.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:21 pm

Rob, I don't recall saying NC was wrong over Hewitt.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:06 pm

Yeah… Bowery just isn’t a centre back though is he. He’s been bad whenever he’s played there for us. Was shocking there the other week vs Oldham. It’s not his fault though, he’s a striker! :lol:

Clarke’s never played at CB and frankly he’s not big enough to play there. Just sign a proper CB so that we don’t have to think about shoehorning strikers and midfielders into playing centre back. It would also allow us to play Hawkins up top where he’s clearly more effective.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:12 pm

Amber Andy wrote:Rob, I don't recall saying NC was wrong over Hewitt.

So you think he was right to keep Hewitt then, even though you think he's non-league standard and should be released?
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:58 pm

Clough says that if a player comes available that improves us then he'll look at them, so I guess that doesn't make it position specific - if a CH comes up then it allows him to move Hawkins up, if a forward becomes available then it allows him to play Hawkins at CB. Hawkins is the fulcrum here, and allows Clough flexibility. I know the Ron Managers on here aren't able to see past 442, pace and a 20 goal a season striker, but it's not Cloughs fault that he's not doing what you're jumping up and down on the spot about. I dont understand what he's thinking sometimes either, but he's a manager and I just post on the internet.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:17 pm

Rob wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:Rob, I don't recall saying NC was wrong over Hewitt.

So you think he was right to keep Hewitt then, even though you think he's non-league standard and should be released?
No I would have kept Rawson and let Hewitt go. However, I don't profess to know better than NC.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Ralphy » Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:21 pm

I don’t get why so many on here are making the assumption that NC is not even looking for either a CH or striker? We’ve had the scatter gun effect of Evans and now we have someone that has the clubs best interest at heart and won’t go spending the money for the sake of it. Quite possible that as the transfer window drags on that one or two from up the leagues become available. I’m sure all will agree that the signings of Pym, Boateng and Hartigan are serious upgrades on what we already have!! Just let the team develop, we are gonna be fine at least we ain’t talking about relegation anymore!!
Ralphy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Big yella » Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:37 pm

broomo wrote:
Big yella wrote:
broomo wrote:

It clearly comes from your total inability to find the slightest fault in anything he does.

Criticise all you want, just don't complain when I a) don't join in or b) pull up ridiculous over the top comments.
No one expects you join in with any criticism of him. If he sent the u18’s out to face Orient on Saturday you’d defend the choice.

It’s not a fascination, it’s just highlighting your heavily biased and skewed opinion that he can do know wrong.

We went through this last season remember? Long season ahead, poor team selection, rubbish transfer window, blah blah blah.
Please find my posts from last season calling out his transfer window.

I’m clearly not the only one who thinks your ‘ridiculous and over the top’ defence of everything Saint Nigel does is laughable.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:43 pm

Big yella wrote:
broomo wrote:
Big yella wrote:
broomo wrote:

It clearly comes from your total inability to find the slightest fault in anything he does.

No one expects you join in with any criticism of him. If he sent the u18’s out to face Orient on Saturday you’d defend the choice.

It’s not a fascination, it’s just highlighting your heavily biased and skewed opinion that he can do know wrong.

Please find my posts from last season calling out his transfer window.

I’m clearly not the only one who thinks your ‘ridiculous and over the top’ defence of everything Saint Nigel does is laughable.
Ralphy wrote:I don’t get why so many on here are making the assumption that NC is not even looking for either a CH or striker? We’ve had the scatter gun effect of Evans and now we have someone that has the clubs best interest at heart and won’t go spending the money for the sake of it. Quite possible that as the transfer window drags on that one or two from up the leagues become available. I’m sure all will agree that the signings of Pym, Boateng and Hartigan are serious upgrades on what we already have!! Just let the team develop, we are gonna be fine at least we ain’t talking about relegation anymore!!

Nevertheless you Big yella and those like minded are in the small minority.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby scotsstag » Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:49 pm

Says who??
You?
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum