{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Timewasting

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Timewasting

Postby YellaFella 75 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:44 pm

Does anyone think that a goalkeeper will ever get sent off for persistent timewasting? I've seen many keepers get booked (including the one last night) and also warned after being booked but they never get sent off. Surely if one ref has the balls to send a keeper off it will put an end to this behaviour and make the game much better to watch.
YellaFella 75
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Re: Timewasting

Postby oldweststander » Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:15 pm

YellaFella 75 wrote:Does anyone think that a goalkeeper will ever get sent off for persistent timewasting? I've seen many keepers get booked (including the one last night) and also warned after being booked but they never get sent off. Surely if one ref has the balls to send a keeper off it will put an end to this behaviour and make the game much better to watch.

I agree, same goes for shirt pulling in the penalty area. As soon as refs grow a pair and start giving penalties for such the quicker it will be stamped out. Tug someone's shirt anywhere but the penalty area is an immediate free kick and maybe a yellow card.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby wayno cordiniho » Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:33 pm

No… refs don’t have the cahunas.
wayno cordiniho
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:14 am

I remember when referees were told to strictly enforce the six second rule with goalkeepers having the ball in their hands.They started the season off giving out plenty of indirect free kicks in the box to try and persuade the keeper to speed up the game.

It only lasted one season, but as far as I am aware, I don't remember that rule ever changing (forgive me if I am wrong?)

If it hasn't changed, keepers cling onto the ball for way longer than that every single time - sometimes excessively when they are winning the game.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Elkesley Stag » Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:43 am

Agree with the goalkeeper time wasting , when a keeper catches a ball completely unchallenged and then drops down on to the floor the referee should be clocking the time . Always seems to me the Time wasting does not bother the referees until the keeper gets back on to his feet. Equally why are most bookings for time wasting made in the last 10 minutes of a game ? .some teams waste time once they are a goal up regardless of how much time has been played
Elkesley Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby essexstags » Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:33 am

Elkesley Stag wrote:Agree with the goalkeeper time wasting , when a keeper catches a ball completely unchallenged and then drops down on to the floor the referee should be clocking the time . Always seems to me the Time wasting does not bother the referees until the keeper gets back on to his feet. Equally why are most bookings for time wasting made in the last 10 minutes of a game ? .some teams waste time once they are a goal up regardless of how much time has been played

Like Sutton, all of last season!
Scored in front of the North Stand in April 1993. I was a Mascot but they all count.
essexstags
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:45 am

Many referees turn a blind eye to a keeper timewasting because it gives them time to run back up the pitch to get in position and/or get their breath back.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:32 pm

Derby's keeper was really annoying me .I was hoping we would cause him to make a mistake and give a goal away.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby YellaFella 75 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:57 pm

Had a quick word with him after the game, put it to him that he had been very lucky and he agreed, said " don't know how it stayed out of the net" and he hoped he'd not used all his luck in one go.
YellaFella 75
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby pemill » Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:44 pm

In my opinion time wasting, arguing with the referees, diving, gesturing to the ref to get an opposition player carded shirt pulling is considered by the EFL and PL to be part of the excitement of football, hence they do diddly squat about it.

To true supporters of football in means something but that isn't who the EFL and particularly the PL are catering for.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:48 pm

stagmanrob wrote:I remember when referees were told to strictly enforce the six second rule with goalkeepers having the ball in their hands.They started the season off giving out plenty of indirect free kicks in the box to try and persuade the keeper to speed up the game.

It only lasted one season, but as far as I am aware, I don't remember that rule ever changing (forgive me if I am wrong?)

If it hasn't changed, keepers cling onto the ball for way longer than that every single time - sometimes excessively when they are winning the game.

I remember this and it make the game much faster and meant that players had to get back into position. For me, the annoyance is that the laws are there to help the refs but they appear to ignore them or are instructed to do so
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:51 pm

georgefostersbeard wrote:
stagmanrob wrote:I remember when referees were told to strictly enforce the six second rule with goalkeepers having the ball in their hands.They started the season off giving out plenty of indirect free kicks in the box to try and persuade the keeper to speed up the game.

I remember this and it make the game much faster and meant that players had to get back into position. For me, the annoyance is that the laws are there to help the refs but they appear to ignore them or are instructed to do so

Another thing I've noticed over the years is when keepers kick the ball from their hands they usually end up near the edge of the D outside the area when kicking. I thought goalies were meant to stay in their area for their kicks.

I guess it's not much different to players gaining a few yards on a throw in
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:55 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
georgefostersbeard wrote:

Another thing I've noticed over the years is when keepers kick the ball from their hands they usually end up near the edge of the D outside the area when kicking. I thought goalies were meant to stay in their area for their kicks.

I guess it's not much different to players gaining a few yards on a throw in

A keeper has to release the ball from his hands before he goes outside the area, but can kick it outside the area.

The 6 second law remains in place and is generally ignored at all levels.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Elkesley Stag » Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:44 pm

pemill wrote:In my opinion time wasting, arguing with the referees, diving, gesturing to the ref to get an opposition player carded shirt pulling is considered by the EFL and PL to be part of the excitement of football, hence they do diddly squat about it.

To true supporters of football in means something but that isn't who the EFL and particularly the PL are catering for.

Read an article about Michael Oliver where he had watched the Chelsea v Leeds cup final and he would have shown 11 red cards .

How the game has changed now , I reckon the referee from the 1970 cup final would give a similar amount of red cards for the type of things you mentioned if he watched a game now . If ungentlemanly conduct was still being used most teams would end up 3 or 4 players down every game . For anyone not old enough to remember ungentlemanly conduct it is what the Orient player did when pretending to offer the ball to a stags player and then throwing it over his head when he tried to collect it .

Not suggesting we go back to the days of Chopper Harris and Norman bites yer legs Hunter , somewhere half way between ripping legs off and hitting them with the soggy end and constant cheating will be fine.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62548431

Thats certainly stirred things up
Elkesley Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum