{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Officials - again

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Officials - again

Postby stag324 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:56 am

Is it just me but are the officials getting worse and worse each season?

I sit in the lower west stand block C and the lineswoman last night missed at least 3/4 clear offsides and a number of fouls.

At one point the ball went out, and neither the ref or her knew which way to give it, so the Derby player just picked the ball up and took the throw - in.

Are linespeople know longer allowed to flag for fouls because last night and on Saturday it appeared that they wasn't. As for the 4th official, what is their role?

They never intervene or is their job really a time timekeeper?

Rant over, great performance last night and its a shame we didn't progress.

See you all on Saturday
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: Officials - again

Postby zod » Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:26 am

4th Official is there to keep the peace between the managers and assist the officials on the pitch with added time, subs etc.
Ultimately the control of the game is down to the referee, linespeople (or whatever we need to call them) can advise the ref of incidents but he can overrule them.
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby maverick34 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:28 am

Have to agree about the lineswomen last night. Was struggling to keep up with the pace of play at times and caught ball watching (leading to missed offsides on at least 3/4 occasions in the first half - arguably one of which for their opener), then very quick to flag in the second half for offsides, again potentially costing us the leveller which was ruled out at the start of the second half (I too was sat in block C so didn't have the best view of this one, so will reserve full judgement until I've seen it again on video).
As for the fouls that weren't flagged for, although she can assist the referee, the ref himself was certainly in a good enough position to see the majority of those that he missed. I think overall the match officials were once again poor, but we move on, with more important things to come with the league.
maverick34
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:31 am

Anyone know or seen how/why Swans goal was offside? I haven't seen it back yet
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby maverick34 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:41 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:Anyone know or seen how/why Swans goal was offside? I haven't seen it back yet

Like I've said above, I'm waiting to watch it back myself. There was obviously a challenge where the ball has deflected to Swan, in my eyes its whether the ball has gone forwards or backwards where the argument lies. If it goes forward, assuming its off a forward (can't remember who as I immediately looked towards the lino knowing what was gonna happen) then its offside, if it goes backwards then its a good goal and should have stood.
maverick34
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Hon Sec » Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:18 pm

I was in QLE and to me the ball come out to Swan off the keeper and he put it in the net.
Hon Sec
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:20 pm

It was disallowed for offside. He was offside when Clarke shot. Only possible watching it again is that number 30 got a touch before the keeper saved.
Last edited by MTFCMusings on Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:22 pm

Hon Sec wrote:I was in QLE and to me the ball come out to Swan off the keeper and he put it in the net.

Think your misunderstanding the offside rule, it doesn’t matter if it came off the keeper, it matters where Swan was when Clarke took the shot.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:26 pm

Did anyone else think that it should have been a penalty for Stags instead of a free kick outside the box late on
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby zod » Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:58 pm

yellowstagsfan wrote:Did anyone else think that it should have been a penalty for Stags instead of a free kick outside the box late on

It certainly looked like it could have been given.
Maybe initial contact was just outside
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Vantage007 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:13 pm

I sit IG lower B and have to agree that the lino this side hasn't a clue. She just could not keep up with play and probably couldn't cope with all of the noise in her ear from behind but that's her fault for making such bad decisions.
Following MTFC since 1967!
Vantage007
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum