{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Lorient away scorefred sponsered by D block broken seat

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Lorient away sponsered by #FreeDerbyOne

Postby Spiritater » Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:54 am

STAGS FOR LIFE wrote:
Spiritater wrote:It's gonna be tough. T'fred isn't happy being excluded, too many things wrong here.

Nigel you need a PROPER CB asap youth.

;) ;)

Well we move on to next game and hopefully a win.

New fredder needed , don't be shy , could be chance to set us a decent run of form :D :D

Yep my young apprentice, t'fred was doomed before the Derby game by elitest thinking and one of the beermen palming t'fred out. Then leaving t'fred out when starting up the O's one
Elementary mistakes from amateurs. T'fred is till it dies from adverse results and not just for league games ;)
Last edited by Spiritater on Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Re: Lorient away scorefred sponsered by D block broken seat

Postby part time pete » Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:48 am

It was good to see us win yesterday…………..

2.1 xGs to 1.0 xGs
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:10 am

tillydog123 wrote:This injury issue is very worrisome
Sandy and Co from the golden era never missed a game !!

Because back then they had small squads and just pumped them full of cortisone. That's why so many footballers from that era hobbled about in their later years. Thankfully, times have moved on and players ate treated as human beings, not just a commodity.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:21 am

That shows how dominant we were.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby SeanieStag » Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:56 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:
SeanieStag wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
Johnny H wrote:I am hearing lots of the same...."we played well and deserved to win" etc etc.
I see NC again bemoans the fact we are missiNg chances to win games........HE HAS BEEN SAYING THE SAME IN VIRTUALLY EVERY AWAY GAME FOR WELL OVER 12 MONTHS NOW !!
But he has failed to rectify it and we still have our 3 main strikers at the club who will struggle to score 30 league goals between them this season, and thats if they play in attack

So Clough out then?

He’s got a point. Scoring has been a major issue from the start. How many games have we scored more than 1 goal in, in all this time? Clough knows the problems as we all do and the fans are getting frustrated that we haven’t solved them yet. It’s difficult getting the players we need. The club and Clough are trying I’m sure, but it’s still frustrating as we are so close. It’s looking like it’s going to be another wasted year as we still haven’t got all the pieces of the jigsaw together and that is what hurts. Fans have been crying out for success for years and the fear is that we’ll be waiting ever longer.

Yeah let's sack him and go back to step 1 where ANOTHER manager wants a clear out.

Some of you need to remember what it was like under Dempster and Coughlan, the grass isn't always greener on the other side..

This isn't me saying everything is perfect, because it isn't.

'looks like another year wasted' we've played three league games. The impatience of some fans is just incredible and makes me laugh.

I don't want NC sacked and have never said that. I'm justified in being pessimistic because we haven't addressed our weaknesses from last season. We are short of pace, have not recruited a proven goalscorer and lack an experienced mobile centre back. Derby did us for pace, we can't score and our makeshift defence has gifted multiple goals. It wasn't good enough last season so why should it be good enough for this? Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
SeanieStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Marky Mark » Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:05 am

Everyone knows we need someone to put the ball in the net, even NC. The difference is in the level of tantrum we're having about it.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:20 am

Marky Mark wrote:Everyone knows we need someone to put the ball in the net, even NC. The difference is in the level of tantrum we're having about it.

Just because someone wishes to express an opinion on a discussion board doesn’t mean they are having a tantrum.

I’m not as worried about a striker as I am about the defence. Do you not think that the recurring problem of giving away soft goals could have something to do with the fact we haven’t got the balance of experience right?

I actually thought we looked better yesterday against a side that played the ball on the floor and ran at us. I’m not so sure we would have been as solid if Hawkins had played in the middle of the three but Hewitt would not have been as effective against a team who put high balls in.

We were unlucky not to score and in most games at least two of those chances would have gone in.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:37 pm

Im so frustrated coming away with nothing, we played them off the park, and with 5 quality players out injured, and as i know Boateng and Maris carrying a injury.
Im so proud all the players gave 100%.
I have witnessed many a game like this when the ball just wont go in, their effots on goal being the home team was poor.
i am afraid in football it is a pill you have to take
it is how you move forward that is important, its gone forget it,
With the penalty it was a gift that lifted them and not us.
To miss so many chances and a penalty on the same day, it was not to be
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:47 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
Marky Mark wrote:Everyone knows we need someone to put the ball in the net, even NC. The difference is in the level of tantrum we're having about it.

Just because someone wishes to express an opinion on a discussion board doesn’t mean they are having a tantrum.

I’m not as worried about a striker as I am about the defence. Do you not think that the recurring problem of giving away soft goals could have something to do with the fact we haven’t got the balance of experience right?

I actually thought we looked better yesterday against a side that played the ball on the floor and ran at us. I’m not so sure we would have been as solid if Hawkins had played in the middle of the three but Hewitt would not have been as effective against a team who put high balls in.

We were unlucky not to score and in most games at least two of those chances would have gone in.

I think that the issue is not tantrum or no tantrum as people are expressing opinions. What is so clear is that this moving into being a projection board rather than a discussion board which is why is feels like MM's point is right.

Is it the balance of experience or balance of players skills? I have to say I don't know. Harbottle is the least experience and it appears is a good addition, O'Toole is getting positive reviews this season so it does look like the area for discussion is the third berth in the back three (or the formation.). To be honest I don't know what the answer is now that we have let Sweeney and Rawson go over past seasons
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:52 pm

georgefostersbeard wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:

I think that the issue is not tantrum or no tantrum as people are expressing opinions. What is so clear is that this moving into being a projection board rather than a discussion board which is why is feels like MM's point is right.

Is it the balance of experience or balance of players skills? I have to say I don't know. Harbottle is the least experience and it appears is a good addition, O'Toole is getting positive reviews this season so it does look like the area for discussion is the third berth in the back three (or the formation.). To be honest I don't know what the answer is now that we have let Sweeney and Rawson go over past seasons

It's not just about the merits of the current centre backs, it's also about numbers. We're already, 2 games in, having to play players like Hewitt at CB when I'm sure the manager would rather play him at RWB. It's not having a tantrum to suggest our squad is shy of a CB and striker, it's actually pretty obvious.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:26 pm

*whispers*
I think O’Toole has looked somewhat shaky so far this season.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:26 pm

I don't think Mark was saying the content of the messages was tantrumy, it was the tone and derisive language within them.
There are those posting largely in support of the management team who think that there are new faces needed particularly in those two positions.

The frustration for me is when people seem to be wholly unaware that we have had significant offers rejected and project that Clough doesn't want a striker
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:31 pm

Cleveland_Stag wrote:*whispers*
I think O’Toole has looked somewhat shaky so far this season.

I think he's been fine
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:36 pm

georgefostersbeard wrote:I don't think Mark was saying the content of the messages was tantrumy, it was the tone and derisive language within them.
There are those posting largely in support of the management team who think that there are new faces needed particularly in those two positions.

The frustration for me is when people seem to be wholly unaware that we have had significant offers rejected and project that Clough doesn't want a striker

He has said he's not looking for a CB though. As you know I fully support Clough and take a very long term view of his appointment, however, that doesn't mean I think everything he does is right. Dropping Maris last season, I think, cost us top 3 for example. This season we are stronger with the keepers, have a lot of depth in midfield but are lacking a bit of quality competition at CB and up front. We may yet fill those two positions, but we should have done it in June, not Aug/Sep.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:12 pm

georgefostersbeard wrote:I don't think Mark was saying the content of the messages was tantrumy, it was the tone and derisive language within them.

The distinction isn't tantrum or no tantrum, there are shades of grey. Everyone at the club knows we need someone to put the ball in the net, Clough even acknowledged it yesterday, and they've had bids turned down for forwards. It's not as if they dont know and aren't doing anything about it; they're seeing the same things as us, they're saying it in public and they're trying to do something about it - Evans would have had 5 in by now, and not seen 4 of them play. It's like kicking off because you want some sweets, whilst walking through the sweet shop door. We're all frustrated, but bloody hell if we didnt get out of our half yesterday then we'd have something to moan about, but we missed a penalty, at least 3 one-on-ones, around double the amount of shots the home team had, and should have beat the team currently at the top of the league at least 5-0, at their own ground - their manager even said they got away with one. This is 4 days after some were saying the performance against Derby was one of the best in recent seasons. I genuinely dont know how people think.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:23 pm

He’s said he wants a striker GFB, unfortunately none of us know the surrounding reasons why we haven’t got one coming in. I think we’ll struggle to get someone decent in now. Hope I’m wrong!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:50 am

He might have hoped to be able to wait until bargain week.

That last week of the window where teams and players lower their demands to get players off their wage bill (or to enable them to sign another player) or to have a deal in place for the players to secure some.

We had bids turned down for players. If those same players are still looking to be sold by their clubs then in the final days of the window they might just accept a previous offer from us to get rid.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:04 am

gazza1988 wrote:He might have hoped to be able to wait until bargain week.

That last week of the window where teams and players lower their demands to get players off their wage bill (or to enable them to sign another player) or to have a deal in place for the players to secure some.

We had bids turned down for players. If those same players are still looking to be sold by their clubs then in the final days of the window they might just accept a previous offer from us to get rid.

I think that is the plan. I think it will be either a defender or striker. Whichever it is will determine where Hawkins plays.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:07 pm

Just watched the game on iFollow. Overall the Stags did not dominate possession and the midfield as much as they had done against Salford and Tranmere. We should have been easily 2-0 up at half time. We were a little disappointing going forward in the 2nd half.

We conceded another soft goal straight through the middle. All three league goals conceded have been through the middle. Elliott Hewitt, John Joe O’Toole and Riley Harbottle were all at fault although they had played well up to that point.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:09 pm

Whoscored Ratings
Stephen McLaughlin 6.9
Riley Harbottle 6.9
Rhys Oates 6.9
Elliott Hewitt 6.7
Stephen Quinn 6.7
Kellan Gordon 6.7