{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Question on online behaviour

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Question on online behaviour

Postby broomo » Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:11 pm

Just watched a very good 3 minute video from Paul Warne the Rotherham manager about fans and social media. (it's on twitter for those who care to watch it.

One of the things he mentioned was fans expectations and how he couldn't believe Man Utd fans were booing their own team 45 minutes into the season.

The question?

If you knew your views were somehow getting back to the manager and/or players and having an effect on them, would you still be critical?

*you and your are general and not poster specific*
broomo
Manager
Manager

Re: Question on online behaviour

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:33 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby arsene wengers coat » Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:39 pm

The internet offers endless communication between all of humanity. But instead of embracing a massive extension of our social circles online, we seem to be reverting to tribalism and conflict online.

While we generally conduct our real-life interactions with strangers politely and respectfully, online we can be horrible.

In most part, people post to like-minded people and it sort of becomes an echo chamber where particular behaviour, like posting outrage is rewarded with likes from the posters community. That in turn makes posting their 'outrage' become a habit for personal confirmation, without regard to the real life consequences.

It's unlikely a lot of views would be.expressed so harshly if they were made to be exchanged face to face with the recipient.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Bungle01 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:45 pm

Broomo, I take your point and personally I am not one to be overly vocal regarding criticism. However, I think we have to accept that this happens in any walk of life to varying degrees. The whole Utd fans booing a new manager 45 min into a game is crazy but could be taken as showing displeasure towards the players effort, again not saying this is correct. I think to expect that criticism should not happen is misguided (Not suggesting that is what you put merely making a statement). In my profession I often deal with disgruntled individuals, some of these I will move on from very quickly and some of them I learn from. Unfortunately for Nigel, in football everyone is an expert.
Bungle01
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Stag95 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:47 pm

I think any lack of effort or want of trying and we should definitely show our frustration. Where the manager has got it wrong and needs to change it up as well.

But I think our fans are very fair, Nigel has said plenty of times before that even on our worst ever run there weren’t many boos. United fans booing a new manager after 45 mins just shows how spoilt they are - its beautiful to see.
Stag95
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:57 pm

It depends what that effect is.

Do you think Nigel gives 2 hoots what my opinion is? I don't think he does. Would I say it to his face? I would if he asked, I'm well aware that my opinion matters very little to Clough. However, I'm not privy to behind the scenes information. So Clough's decisions I criticise could be perfectly valid and I would do the same. Or he had other options but went for his "dependables" instead. I don't know.

Will that stop me voicing my opinion on here? No. At a game I'm 100% behind the lot of them. They all get my unrivalled support. Last the players want to hear is their own supporters giving them stick. My opinion is it helps noone and my criticism live helps nobody and if it has any effect at all it will be negative.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:57 pm

I’ve had a few players contact me on Twitter over comments I’ve made on there or when I used to do my blog. Usually they’re pretty understanding.

I’ve no doubt they read the comments on there, but usually the players know themselves if they’ve had a good/bad game. As long as you keep it football related rather than personal comments I think it’s fine.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:03 pm

I wonder sometimes what our reaction would be if we received similar comments in our working lives.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Speccy » Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:12 pm

Amber Andy wrote:I wonder sometimes what our reaction would be if we received similar comments in our working lives.

I suspect most of us don’t have thousands of people paying money to come and watch us work.

If they can’t handle a few moans and online rants then get another job and give someone else a chance.
Speccy
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:19 pm

I think plenty of professionals come in for online and face to face abuse, usually from people who haven’t got a clue what they are talking about. Look at any of our emergency services for instance and you will find plenty of examples.

That said there is no excuse for name calling or personal abuse and comments should be restricted to genuinely held views. It’s what you expect on a fan website.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby BigGuy » Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:22 pm

Ironic its posted on the platform that produces the most bile, troll infested individuals known to man.
BigGuy
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Beano » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:37 pm

Working in public entertainment whether that be professional sport, music, theatre, film etc etc etc has positives and negatives.

Positives are financial, fame, public adoration, etc etc

Negatives are harsh criticism, and job security

Providing the criticism doesn’t cross the line to personal abuse, anyone entering these professions should expect to take the pos/negs. (Sports critics have been around since Hercules dropped a discus on his sandalled big toe)

Social media has made public figures far more accessible to the general public, and some members of the general public are morons.

I’m sure the ManU stuff is as much about their current owners, something we can all probably relate to.
Beano
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum