{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Derby Fred sponsored by I did it in a previous life

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Derby Fred sponsored by I did it in a previous life

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:00 pm

BH_Stag wrote:Had to settle for the radio whilst away tonight, sounds like we gave it a good go second half. TalkSPORT 2 were full of praise for us but sounds like their two subs made the difference,

Considering Akins injured and Bowery banned I would expect Gordon RWB and Swan to partner Oates on Saturday at Orient.

That leaves us with no sub striker though, which shows just how quickly different situations can materialise. We have our forward options playing every position on the pitch so tiredness/injuries/Bans are inevitable and when we need to change the front our options can quickly become limited as we are now seeing. One injury and one ban and all of a sudden we don’t have a real sub striker?

For me It’s absolutely imperative that we sign either another forward, or another CB to free Hawkins up to play up top. Heading in to a game already with no sub striker should be a bit of a warning sign imo.

On the game though, it’s a shame not to go through. Sick of going out early doors in this competition when there’s a host of premier league clubs in round 2. Our record since coming up has been pretty poor in the competition, but at least it sounds like we made a good fight of it. Bigger game coming up on Saturday.

You lament the lack of options we have now but had Clough not out bowery and centre half and brought on a centre half on the bench, like Harbottle, then our substitute forward wouldn't have got sent off in that scenario.

Bowery suspended and likely Akins injured. Still leaves Oates, Swan, Hawkins and Gale as forward options (only need 2 to start) . We have plenty of options up front. With Perch injured and Hawkins moved up front. We have Hewitt, JJOT and Harbottle to play CB (Cooper too but we could have named more subs tonight but didn't include him) to compete for 3 starting spots.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:01 pm

adamstag wrote:
Cleveland_Stag wrote:Does anyone know for definite whether Bowery’s red card bans him for league games?

Yes

Any suspension will be just 1 game for professional foul.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:03 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:
Cleveland_Stag wrote:Does anyone know for definite whether Bowery’s red card bans him for league games?

A quick Google search says that yellow cards picked up in the competitions are competition specific but red cards carry over to league games?

I was under the impression that all cards are competition specific though.

Correct, yellows competition specific, reds across all, slight difference for PJT.

Thanks for clarifying.

Have I got confused with league red cards being league specific? I'm sure I remember someone getting sent off in the league but being available for a cup game due to it.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:04 pm

Well that’s part of the problem isn’t it Gazza, that’s what I’m saying? We have our sub strikers playing week in week out at CB, LWB, RWB or wherever else so these things like injuries, suspensions, tiredness down the line are going to happen. Then we don’t tend to have much in terms of fresh legs in forward areas to bring on.

We have Oates and Swan next game. Hawkins will still be preferred at CB, and Gale is a youngster and not yet fully dependable. Do just think we could do with one more option, whether that be a striker or a defender that frees Hawkins up properly
Last edited by BH_Stag on Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:06 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:Had to settle for the radio whilst away tonight, sounds like we gave it a good go second half. TalkSPORT 2 were full of praise for us but sounds like their two subs made the difference,

Considering Akins injured and Bowery banned I would expect Gordon RWB and Swan to partner Oates on Saturday at Orient.

That leaves us with no sub striker though, which shows just how quickly different situations can materialise. We have our forward options playing every position on the pitch so tiredness/injuries/Bans are inevitable and when we need to change the front our options can quickly become limited as we are now seeing. One injury and one ban and all of a sudden we don’t have a real sub striker?

For me It’s absolutely imperative that we sign either another forward, or another CB to free Hawkins up to play up top. Heading in to a game already with no sub striker should be a bit of a warning sign imo.

On the game though, it’s a shame not to go through. Sick of going out early doors in this competition when there’s a host of premier league clubs in round 2. Our record since coming up has been pretty poor in the competition, but at least it sounds like we made a good fight of it. Bigger game coming up on Saturday.

You lament the lack of options we have now but had Clough not out bowery and centre half and brought on a centre half on the bench, like Harbottle, then our substitute forward wouldn't have got sent off in that scenario.

Bowery suspended and likely Akins injured. Still leaves Oates, Swan, Hawkins and Gale as forward options (only need 2 to start) . We have plenty of options up front. With Perch injured and Hawkins moved up front. We have Hewitt, JJOT and Harbottle to play CB (Cooper too but we could have named more subs tonight but didn't include him) to compete for 3 starting spots.

Cooper is out injured for 2 weeks.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:06 pm

I don't know what everyone else thought but thought we played quite well tonight, gave the ball away a little too much but we didn't look out of our depths. They had to bring on a championship quality player to change the game for them as we were in the ascendancy.

If we play like that against L2 teams we'll rip them. I didn't think we'd get anything and I said a 2-1 loss, but I'm not that bothered about it... just didn't wanna get embarrassed tonight and that didn't happen.

Buzzing to see Gordon have a great game, it's what we've been missing down that right hand side. Lapslie had a good game too and Swan unlucky to not get on the score sheet.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Stag95 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:08 pm

Just got home. Very good performance from us going forward, defensively pretty poor. Can’t fault the effort put in. Thought the ref and lineswoman were absolutely woeful.

Hartigan first 20 minutes looked very very good, really solid on the ball and chased everything down. Just couldn’t quite find our rhythm first half.

Hawkins going up top was a game changer, they could not handle him. Why on Earth we took him off I’ll never know, very strange decision. And to play Bowery at CB? Clough must be the only person in the stadium who thinks that’s a good idea.

Clarke played well when he came on. Swann and Gordon had very good games I thought. Gordon has to be first choice RWB.
Stag95
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:11 pm

BH_Stag wrote:Well that’s part of the problem isn’t it Gazza, that’s what I’m saying? We have our sub strikers playing week in week out at CB, LWB, RWB or wherever else so these things like injuries, suspensions, tiredness down the line are going to happen. Then we don’t tend to have much in terms of fresh legs in forward areas to bring on.

Yes, still 6 options for 2 spaces is plenty. Clough said Cooper and Gale will go out on loan once everyone is fit and available. is that ever going to happen?

We are starting forwards in positions we already have better suited players fit and available for.

It's LWB for me. Law is injured, Wallace is injured and that leaves Macca. Macca picked up a knock today. He can't wedge Bowery in there on Saturday as he's suspended. Hewitt at LWB?

Macca might not be fit or he might even play injured on Saturday.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:12 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:

A quick Google search says that yellow cards picked up in the competitions are competition specific but red cards carry over to league games?

I was under the impression that all cards are competition specific though.

Correct, yellows competition specific, reds across all, slight difference for PJT.

Thanks for clarifying.

Have I got confused with league red cards being league specific? I'm sure I remember someone getting sent off in the league but being available for a cup game due to it.

Think you must be thinking of the PJ Trophy, when Quinn played during his six game ban last season. Bans don’t apply to the PJ Trophy unless picked up in that competition.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:17 pm

Thanks Musings. I must be getting mixed up. In fairness we don't "do" the EFL Cup so easy mistake to make :lol:

Thanks broomo for the clarification on Cooper.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:18 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:Well that’s part of the problem isn’t it Gazza, that’s what I’m saying? We have our sub strikers playing week in week out at CB, LWB, RWB or wherever else so these things like injuries, suspensions, tiredness down the line are going to happen. Then we don’t tend to have much in terms of fresh legs in forward areas to bring on.

Yes, still 6 options for 2 spaces is plenty. Clough said Cooper and Gale will go out on loan once everyone is fit and available. is that ever going to happen?

We are starting forwards in positions we already have better suited players fit and available for.

It's LWB for me. Law is injured, Wallace is injured and that leaves Macca. Macca picked up a knock today. He can't wedge Bowery in there on Saturday as he's suspended. Hewitt at LWB?

Macca might not be fit or he might even play injured on Saturday.

Those 6 options don’t carry as far though when half of them are being used frequently in other areas. Vs Tranmere for example 4 of those 6 started, so as far as fresh legs are concerned it was Swan and Gale, both very inexperienced. 2 of those 6 are now out, and one is youth teamer so you can see how a situation can change quickly and you can become stretched.

Don’t disagree on other areas. We are overloaded with midfield options at the expense of other areas but it’s something we will need to manage for the moment anyway.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:21 pm

I'm in complete agreement BH_Stag.

Too many midfielders,

In my opinion. Too many of our players seem to be jack's of all trades(positions) but masters of none. Or rather master of one but doesn't get played there often enough.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Old timer » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:27 pm

That lineswoman was shocking. Wasn't keeping up with play. She didn't just get one decision wrong in their favour but she was consistently bad and 95% of the time gave the wrong decisions in favour of Derby. It will be interesting to see how the goal we scored could have been offside and whether Derby were offside in the build up to their first goal. I hope we never see her again as a lino in one of our games. And I would have said the same if she had been a bloke.
Old timer
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Blackburn Stag » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:30 pm

five to three wrote:Our last two sendings off were forwards playing at centre half! This really is getting annoying.

Young daughter said to me after seeing the game outcome, "Dad, how come Bowery was sent off?" I explained. "But isn't Bowery a forward?"
Out of the mouths of babes.
Blackburn Stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:32 pm

Hawkins is still our second best striker, for what it’s worth. He’s 10 times better up front than he is at the back. Derby couldn’t handle him up top tonight and he took his goal superbly well. As soon as he got subbed off we didn’t look nearly as threatening.

Signing a genuine centre back and therefore allowing Hawkins to bolster our forward options would make a huge difference. He’d start up top with Oates if it was up to me!
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Stag95 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:33 pm

Cleveland_Stag wrote:Hawkins is still our second best striker, for what it’s worth. He’s 10 times better up front than he is at the back. Derby couldn’t handle him up top tonight and he took his goal superbly well. As soon as he got subbed off we didn’t look nearly as threatening.

Signing a genuine centre back and therefore allowing Hawkins to bolster our forward options would make a huge difference. He’d start up top with Oates if it was up to me!

Agreed.
Stag95
Manager
Manager

Postby Wil0211 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:36 pm

Notes from tonight's game.

. Hawkins is a better striker than he is defender
. Bowery is not a centre back.
. The lineswoman should never officiate again
. We are a far better side when Maris is playing
. Hartigan looks a proper player
. Derby are a horrible team with a horrible set of self entitled fans
. Swan with the right service could have a good season
. We were the better side over 90 minutes and should have won
Wil0211
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:40 pm

Wil0211 wrote:Notes from tonight's game.

. Hawkins is a better striker than he is defender
. Bowery is not a centre back.
. The lineswoman should never officiate again
. We are a far better side when Maris is playing
. Hartigan looks a proper player
. Derby are a horrible team with a horrible set of self entitled fans
. Swan with the right service could have a good season
. We were the better side over 90 minutes and should have won

In other words, we didn’t learn anything then? :lol:
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:45 pm

It’s almost as if we need another quality CB lol
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby wayno cordiniho » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:50 pm

Excellent entertainment that, gave it a real go and if we play like that consistently we’ll roll over a lot of teams. Only some last ditch luck and questionable offside calls stopped us earning a draw which we prob deserved on balance. Liked the look of the Hawkins/Swan combo up top
wayno cordiniho
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:52 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:It’s almost as if we need another quality CB lol

You’d have to assume he’s got something in the pipeline?

I appreciate he can touch on the stubborn side like his old man but it’s so ridiculously obvious it’s unreal.

Literally that one CB could make the difference between an ok season and a great season.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:55 pm

post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:55 pm

Excellent performance and a highly entertaining game, we deserved at least a draw and pens. Gordon did well but my MOM was Lapslie. Clarke again did well as sub and was the stimulus for a very strong 2nd half which we totally dominated until their ill deserved 2nd. A word on the Derby fans, took them two minutes to start chanting scabs, how embarrassing for them, basically a slightly bigger, more pathetic version of Cheaterfield.

It also demonstrated once again how badly we need a CB. Bowery is not a CB and Hawkins had a bit of a mare 1st half but was a real threat when moved up front.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Stag95 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:56 pm

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/12669424/mansfield-town-1-2-derby-county

What sort of raspberries highlights package misses out 2 disallowed goals and us hitting the bar twice.
Last edited by Stag95 on Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stag95
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:57 pm

Nice outbof context quote in there. "we pick the team backwards" :lol: in context it was about keeping the next league game in mind.

Seems Clough is waiting for Perch and Wallace to get fit and send the young lads out and then bring 1 more in.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum