{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

New ticket system

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: New ticket system

Postby Dan » Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:32 pm

Rob wrote:Looking at the clips of the game on ITV 4 there is absolutely no way was the attendance 7,100. Somethings gone wrong somewhere :lol:

Do you think there were more mate?
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Calstag » Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:05 am

Hopefully teething problems today, queues were ridiculous tbh
Calstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:53 am

In WSU where I sit there were loadsa spaces. Many like Yorkie were on their jolly's. No way was it 7k+
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby 88BenM » Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:59 am

Is the new ticket system more accurate than the old one? And the ground does hold in excess of 9k overall? 1k empty seats in the North Stand and 1k empty seats in the rest of the ground. QLE seemed pretty full from where I sat, so maybe plausible?
88BenM
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:06 am

Look on match highlights.
Loadsa spaces in QL
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:36 am

Dan wrote:
Rob wrote:Looking at the clips of the game on ITV 4 there is absolutely no way was the attendance 7,100. Somethings gone wrong somewhere :lol:

Do you think there were more mate?

Less.

That’s implying there were 6,500 odd home fans - there weren’t, how you miscount by 1,800 is a cracking effort.

The original 5,300 sounded about right
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:40 am

I thought 5300 was about right. Family area in WSL as empty, lots of odd spare seats everywhere, poor away following.

5300 means about 200 paid on the day, the rest were ST and away fans. 7100 is bonkers.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:42 am

I’d imagine we’re counting all season ticket holders added to pay/ticket on the day
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:30 am

Marky Mark wrote:I’d imagine we’re counting all season ticket holders added to pay/ticket on the day

That’s what i thought.

If so, it’s wrong.

you count what’s in the ground.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:28 am

Marky Mark wrote:I’d imagine we’re counting all season ticket holders added to pay/ticket on the day

That could be right, I picked my ST up at about 2.30 (took 15 seconds cass ;) ) and there were hundreds of cards in the 2 boxes. 5300 seems about right, which in itself is a great attendance for August.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:18 am

Rob wrote:

That could be right, I picked my ST up at about 2.30 (took 15 seconds cass ;) ) and there were hundreds of cards in the 2 boxes. 5300 seems about right, which in itself is a great attendance for August.
What I can't understand is a difference of 1800 between the announced crowd and corrected crowd figures. An 1800 error factor is astonishing. You could imagine a few hundred at best regarding non attending season ticket holders maybe.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby NIGEL » Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:40 am

Our attendances are increasing, so why don't we open the turnstiles 90 minutes before kick-off as they do at 90% of most other grounds. It was a new ticket system for people who didn't go to the Rotherham friendly. On Saturday, I was outside QLE at 1.50. The ground was declared open sometime between 2 and 2.05 and I had no problem getting in with a season ticket card, but it was 2.15 before I got in because of the queue even at that time. Hopefully as we get used to the system the problems will be sorted.
NIGEL
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby zod » Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:44 am

The scanners were incorrectly showing some season tickets as already admitted.
The clown on the gate was trying to say I was using someone else's ticket. Until the bloke on the adjacent turnstile had the exact same problem.
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:56 am

ST4GS wrote:
Rob wrote:

What I can't understand is a difference of 1800 between the announced crowd and corrected crowd figures. An 1800 error factor is astonishing. You could imagine a few hundred at best regarding non attending season ticket holders maybe.

Feels like the announced attendance might have been actual clicks through the turnstyle, I guess with the new system you know whether those clicks are season ticket holders or match day ticket holders. So the inflated number will probably be season ticket holders not attending added to it.

5344 (originally announced figure) - 621 (away fans) = 4723 home clicks (season ticket holders and match day tickets)
7128 (official figure) - 621 away fans = 6507 home 'fans'

6507 - 4723 = 1784 non attending season ticket holders
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby zod » Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:59 am

Marky Mark wrote:
ST4GS wrote:
Rob wrote:

Feels like the announced attendance might have been actual clicks through the turnstyle, I guess with the new system you know whether those clicks are season ticket holders or match day ticket holders. So the inflated number will probably be season ticket holders not attending added to it.

5344 (originally announced figure) - 621 (away fans) = 4723 home clicks (season ticket holders and match day tickets)
7128 (official figure) - 621 away fans = 6507 home 'fans'

6507 - 4723 = 1784 non attending season ticket holders

Didn't Chesterfield do the non-attending season ticket trick first? :lol:
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:09 am

I wonder whether there is an accounting tax benefit to spreading out season ticket income by game, rather than all upfront, with the result being that you have to account for all season ticket holders every game? Maybe some of our resident tax experts could advise?

Edit: interesting article, apologies for it being the Daily Heil though

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... sales.html
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby PaulG » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:13 am

I'm not convinced that there's anything wrong with the recorded attendance reflecting the number of people who have paid to attend the match. If there's an acknowledged convention which says that's wrong, then fair enough, but otherwise, why is that figure any less relevant than the number of actual bums on seats?
PaulG
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Marky Mark » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:21 am

PaulG wrote:I'm not convinced that there's anything wrong with the recorded attendance reflecting the number of people who have paid to attend the match. If there's an acknowledged convention which says that's wrong, then fair enough, but otherwise, why is that figure any less relevant than the number of actual bums on seats?

I agree, I guess it might mess with staff and stewarding planning purposes as you'd always have to plan to expect 4,500 season ticket holders, plus 2,000 pay on the dayers. So that's probably why Rob got his cup of tea quicker than usual if they planned staff for 6,500 but there were only 4,700
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:40 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:I've asked a question or two about the attendance. Hopefully be in a position to clarify in the week

I promised I would say a word to clarify the attendance vs Tranmere. Here it is

UPDATE ON THE ATTENDANCE:
I promised I would say a word on the attendance.
The attendance was initially announced at the ground as
5,344 (621 from Tranmere); ie 4,723 home fans
I was told at full time this was an error, which was realised shortly after the announcement.
The attendance was then amended on social media later to:
7,128 (621 from Tranmere); ie 6,507 home fans
Contrast this with the attendance for the previous home game, vs Northampton play-off semi final 1st leg:
7,469 (1221 from Northampton); ie 6,248 home fans
Anyone who was at both games will know that plainly there were a lot more home fans in the ground for the Northampton game. However that is not reflected in the figures (6,507 home fans vs Tranmere, 6,248 home fans vs Northampton).
The explanation from the club is as follows:
“The club includes all pre-sales in its official attendance figure. This is also the practice for many clubs”
So it is clear that a fairly large number of home fans with pre-sales (a season ticket for example) did not actually attend the Tranmere game, but are still counted in the attendance.
It is not too surprising that a number of season ticket holders didn’t turn up given the huge number of season tickets sold this season (4,450), and that in August a fair proportion of fans will be away on holiday for example.
The practice of including all season tickets regardless of whether they attended in the official attendance figure has been routine from Premier League (Arsenal for example), down to League One (Charlton for example), down to non-league (Chesterfield for example) for several years. As they say, if you can’t beat them, join them!
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Marky Mark » Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:49 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:I've asked a question or two about the attendance. Hopefully be in a position to clarify in the week

I promised I would say a word to clarify the attendance vs Tranmere. Here it is

UPDATE ON THE ATTENDANCE:
I promised I would say a word on the attendance.
The attendance was initially announced at the ground as
5,344 (621 from Tranmere); ie 4,723 home fans
I was told at full time this was an error, which was realised shortly after the announcement.
The attendance was then amended on social media later to:
7,128 (621 from Tranmere); ie 6,507 home fans
Contrast this with the attendance for the previous home game, vs Northampton play-off semi final 1st leg:
7,469 (1221 from Northampton); ie 6,248 home fans
Anyone who was at both games will know that plainly there were a lot more home fans in the ground for the Northampton game. However that is not reflected in the figures (6,507 home fans vs Tranmere, 6,248 home fans vs Northampton).
The explanation from the club is as follows:
“The club includes all pre-sales in its official attendance figure. This is also the practice for many clubs”
So it is clear that a fairly large number of home fans with pre-sales (a season ticket for example) did not actually attend the Tranmere game, but are still counted in the attendance.
It is not too surprising that a number of season ticket holders didn’t turn up given the huge number of season tickets sold this season (4,450), and that in August a fair proportion of fans will be away on holiday for example.
The practice of including all season tickets regardless of whether they attended in the official attendance figure has been routine from Premier League (Arsenal for example), down to League One (Charlton for example), down to non-league (Chesterfield for example) for several years. As they say, if you can’t beat them, join them!

The error being that it was communicated, not that it wasn't the number of fans in the ground, presumably.
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Stag95 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:52 pm

With how cheap some of the QLE season tickets were I assume most games will have 100s of season ticket holders missing.
Stag95
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:53 pm

might be a reasonable guess Marky! But not for me to say.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Marky Mark » Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:04 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:might be a reasonable guess Marky! But not for me to say.

To be honest, it's good to have a bit of a benchmark view on what the attendance split between season ticket and non season ticket holders is. The amazing thing (to me) is that despite selling 4,500 season tickets there are still 1,900 fans paying to get in - that can only be great news. I didn't think we'd get anywhere near that many.
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:04 pm

Quite a few empty seats around me in the upper tier, which is only the case early august usually. QLE looked pretty full.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:11 pm

So Martin, given the club have not previously included non-attending fans in an attendance it makes a bit if a mockery of our attendance comparisons. I know for absolute certain that the announced crowd has been previously based on "clicks", I assume that has now changed? Doesn't seem right to me, it is called "attendance" for a reason :lol:
Rob
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum