{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Do we actually need another centre back

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Do we actually need another centre back

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:30 pm

Rob, I think Perch, Hewitt, Hawkins, O'Toole, Harbottle are sufficient options for centre half. Of course I would have liked to have signed Fraser Horsfall, so would every club in League Two.

You are free to disagree, that's what the forum is for.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Rob » Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:39 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:Rob, I think Perch, Hewitt, Hawkins, O'Toole, Harbottle are sufficient options for centre half. Of course I would have liked to have signed Fraser Horsfall, so would every club in League Two.

Well obviously I do disagree, as do most others on here and I suspect in the wider fan base. Only one of those you list is a natural CB, that just can't be right. Fingers crossed we get away with it, we didn't last week.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:47 pm

Rob wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:Rob, I think Perch, Hewitt, Hawkins, O'Toole, Harbottle are sufficient options for centre half. Of course I would have liked to have signed Fraser Horsfall, so would every club in League Two.

Well obviously I do disagree, as do most others on here and I suspect in the wider fan base. Only one of those you list is a natural CB, that just can't be right. Fingers crossed we get away with it, we didn't last week.

we didn't get away with it last week because only two of the five were available to start, obviously.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Rob » Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:13 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
Rob wrote:

we didn't get away with it last week because only two of the five were available to start, obviously.

Exactly, if we'd had one more Macca would have played wide left. This needing one more CB isn't new .....
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:20 pm

gazza1988 wrote:Oates, Swan, Bowery, Akins, Hawkins and Gale. They are our striker options. Why would we need a 7th competing for 2 spaces, when 5 defenders is plenty competing for 3?

Who is covering Macca? Or is he playing 90 minutes of 46 league games and however many cup games there is.

If I remember correctly, last season, when Macca was out, we had perch, Hewitt and Akins all play left back we've had Bowery at LWB I this season. Who thinks they are viable options if Macca is out for a few weeks?

Oates will score plenty if fit. Hawkins might make double figures if he plays as a striker constantly. Swan is pretty much unknown but looks lightweight so far. Gale will probably go out on loan. If you are expecting Bowery and Akins to fire us to promotion, I woudnt bother putting Ipswich, Portsmouth etc in the sat nav for next season. We need a striker IMO.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:25 pm

I don't have the historical knowledge of Mansfield so can only compare it to a different club.

Nigel was sacked at Derby over a long running difference of opinion over not signing another centre half.

He thought Buxton was good enough. The fans and the CEO didn't.

NC went on record as saying the squad was good enough and for the first time since he took over they would challenge for the play offs.

In fact before sacking him the CEO had agreed to sign Zak Whitbread on loan with a guaranteed "buy" in place once the loan was completed. Paying huge wages for a lad coming back from a long term injury.

Buxton went on to be an ever present and a club legend, Whitbread was injured for pretty much 2 years.

Why am I posting that?

Last season Nigel said he'd got a squad capable of challenging for promotion.

This season he has said he thinks we're good enough to go one better.

He's not a bad judge of the make up of his squad, if a quality centre half or striker becomes available and fits within the budget, I suspect he'd sign them but for now, he's happy to go with what we've got.

If Nigel thinks we've got enough of a squad to challenge, I would trust that he's right.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:27 pm

broomo wrote:I don't have the historical knowledge of Mansfield so can only compare it to a different club.

Nigel was sacked at Derby over a long running difference of opinion over not signing another centre half.

NC went on record as saying the squad was good enough and for the first time since he took over they would challenge for the play offs.

In fact before sacking him the CEO had agreed to sign Zak Whitbread on loan with a guaranteed "buy" in place once the loan was completed. Paying huge wages for a lad coming back from a long term injury.

Buxton went on to be an ever present and a club legend, Whitbread was injured for pretty much 2 years.

Why am I posting that?

He's not a bad judge of the make up of his squad, if a quality centre half or striker becomes available and fits within the budget, I suspect he'd sign them but for now, he's happy to go with what we've got.

If Nigel thinks we've got enough of a squad to challenge, I would trust that he's right.

Do you think we have enough quality up front without relying on Oates?
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby Rigsby » Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:30 pm

victor A block wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:Oates, Swan, Bowery, Akins, Hawkins and Gale. They are our striker options. Why would we need a 7th competing for 2 spaces, when 5 defenders is plenty competing for 3?

Who is covering Macca? Or is he playing 90 minutes of 46 league games and however many cup games there is.

If I remember correctly, last season, when Macca was out, we had perch, Hewitt and Akins all play left back we've had Bowery at LWB I this season. Who thinks they are viable options if Macca is out for a few weeks?

Oates will score plenty if fit. Hawkins might make double figures if he plays as a striker constantly. Swan is pretty much unknown but looks lightweight so far. Gale will probably go out on loan. If you are expecting Bowery and Akins to fire us to promotion, I woudnt bother putting Ipswich, Portsmouth etc in the sat nav for next season. We need a striker IMO.

I reckon Hawkins will be CB rather than a striker. I'm sure I saw an interview somewhere where he pretty much said that.
Rigsby
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby yorkshire stag » Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:37 pm

we still don’t have enough quality to play three at the back imo

it’s as clear as day to some, however not to others it would seem
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:39 pm

broomo wrote:I don't have the historical knowledge of Mansfield so can only compare it to a different club.

Why am I posting that?

Nice story Broomo but Buxton was a centre half with plenty of experience and our one time captain. He was also relatively young and able to learn. He had also played for Clough as a centre half at Burton and Nigel had seen him develop and recognised his potential.

Contrast that with our current situation with a 30 year old centre forward with little defensive experience playing at the heart of our defence and expected to be the king pin of a team looking for automatic promotion.

The two situations simply don’t compare especially when you look at what defensive cover we have available.

The only thing that will settle this debate is another 45 league two games and then we will know the answer. Unless of course we sign a recognised centre half before then.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:43 pm

victor A block wrote:

Why am I posting that?

Honestly, I'd like to see us bring in one more attacking option but again I know we bid for 2 strikers/attacking forwards and one of those would have blown fans socks off.

Unfortunately neither came off; so now I'd prefer to wait for someone of that quality than to rush to sign another body for the sake of it.

It would be awful if either of those 2 became available in January and we'd spent our budget on a make weight.

I believe we've got goals in us with the current squad anyone quality coming in now or January will hopefully be the cherry on top.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:46 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:

Why am I posting that?

Nice story Broomo but Buxton was a centre half with plenty of experience and our one time captain. He was also relatively young and able to learn. He had also played for Clough as a centre half at Burton and Nigel had seen him develop and recognised his potential.

Contrast that with our current situation with a 30 year old centre forward with little defensive experience playing at the heart of our defence and expected to be the king pin of a team looking for automatic promotion.

The two situations simply don’t compare especially when you look at what defensive cover we have available.

The only thing that will settle this debate is another 45 league two games and then we will know the answer. Unless of course we sign a recognised centre half before then.

I agree with that part 100%

It just appears not many others do. To judge it after one game definitively is a bit hasty, in my opinion.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:56 pm

Broomo, I’m not so sure posters are judging the situation after one game but more looking at the squad set up.

Hawkins didn’t even play last week so I don’t see how people could judge him on the team’s performance. I’m personally pleased he didn’t play as I think he would have really struggled with Salfords style and things could have been even worse. Although we conceded two goals we did restrict chances and I still think Maris was fouled in the build up to the second.

Unlike other posters, I am also not desperate for another striker as goals will come from all areas. We do however need at least one centre half and a versatile experienced defender to cover across the back.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:59 pm

Rather have good cover for Macca than another centre back right now.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:04 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:Rather have good cover for Macca than another centre back right now.

I know that Wallace is currently injured but I see him as stand in for Macca. I think it would be a waste to sign another player just to warm the bench.

As I said above, a versatile experienced defender who can play across the back 4/5 would be very welcome to cover each position.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:06 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Broomo, I’m not so sure posters are judging the situation after one game but more looking at the squad set up.

Hawkins didn’t even play last week so I don’t see how people could judge him on the team’s performance. I’m personally pleased he didn’t play as I think he would have really struggled with Salfords style and things could have been even worse. Although we conceded two goals we did restrict chances and I still think Maris was fouled in the build up to the second.

Unlike other posters, I am also not desperate for another striker as goals will come from all areas. We do however need at least one centre half and a versatile experienced defender to cover across the back.

How many should we sign though?

Let's say his first choice in a 3-5-2 was O'Toole, Hawkins, Perch (with Hewitt and Harbottle as back up) Harbottle being brought in to get games and experience.

Bring in another centre half and suddenly Harbottle (or one other) is 6th choice and that is if we stick to the 3 all season, for the games we go back to a flat 4 he drops further down the pecking order?

I don't think we need to sign anybody for those occasional games 2 of the 5 are unavailable.

I get that not everyone, in fact hardly anyone agrees but that's the way I see it.

We can't sign a big enough squad to cover every eventuality; if we did we'd have a lot of unhappy players sitting in the stands.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:15 pm

Firstly I don’t think Harbottle is here as backup.

I wouldn’t count Hewitt as he would be my first choice right back/wing back. I think Nigel is also not sure about Gordon certainly at right back. That really only leaves you one absentee if you are playing with 3 centre backs which is the position most likely to pick up suspensions. If Macca is injured you could well need Hewitt on that side of the pitch.

A good solid centre half would plug any gaps and should add much needed pace if Harbottle isn’t on the pitch. Hawkins would be my back up and could also cover if Oates is injured. So get the right centre half and a number of potential problems have a solution.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:32 pm

our defence isn’t good enough quality wise, this will come back to bite us
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:36 pm

broomo wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Broomo, I’m not so sure posters are judging the situation after one game but more looking at the squad set up.

Let's say his first choice in a 3-5-2 was O'Toole, Hawkins, Perch (with Hewitt and Harbottle as back up) Harbottle being brought in to get games and experience.

Bring in another centre half and suddenly Harbottle (or one other) is 6th choice and that is if we stick to the 3 all season, for the games we go back to a flat 4 he drops further down the pecking order?

I don't think we need to sign anybody for those occasional games 2 of the 5 are unavailable.

I get that not everyone, in fact hardly anyone agrees but that's the way I see it.

We can't sign a big enough squad to cover every eventuality; if we did we'd have a lot of unhappy players sitting in the stands.

I know I wasn't asked but for me you need 2 players for each spot on the team. So on our current setup it's be 6 CB, 2 RWB, 2 LWB, 2DM, 4 CM and 2 CF. Then youth fringe to gain experience once injuries set in.

That's 22 players in total with 20 outfield players.

I am intrigued, if you would indulge me, how you see the squad following the above (obviously Clough only has 19 outfield players so one will be down) and the rules are as follows:

1. only 1 player may be selected for one position (you can only play one player in one position at any one time.
2. If a player is picked for a position and it isn't their strongest position then put in brackets where their you think their best position is (Say you think Akins is best at RW but you've picked him for RWB, Just a note that I don't think Akins did as bad as some make out at RWB last Saturday)
3. Name players in order of strength in the role/position with the first being the best player in that role/position and and the last being the "worst" (not necessarily meaning they are bad players but just not as good as the others)

GK:
RWB:
CB:
LWB:
DM:
CM:
CF:

I'm just curious where you see players playing. If anyone else wants to have a go
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:54 pm

broomo wrote:
victor A block wrote:

Why am I posting that?

Honestly, I'd like to see us bring in one more attacking option but again I know we bid for 2 strikers/attacking forwards and one of those would have blown fans socks off.

Unfortunately neither came off; so now I'd prefer to wait for someone of that quality than to rush to sign another body for the sake of it.

It would be awful if either of those 2 became available in January and we'd spent our budget on a make weight.

I believe we've got goals in us with the current squad anyone quality coming in now or January will hopefully be the cherry on top.

You can tell us who they are now we've not signed them :D
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Suttonian » Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:30 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
I know I wasn't asked but for me you need 2 players for each spot on the team. So on our current setup it's be 6 CB, 2 RWB, 2 LWB, 2DM, 4 CM and 2 CF. Then youth fringe to gain experience once injuries set in.

I am intrigued, if you would indulge me, how you see the squad following the above (obviously Clough only has 19 outfield players so one will be down) and the rules are as follows:

1. only 1 player may be selected for one position (you can only play one player in one position at any one time.
2. If a player is picked for a position and it isn't their strongest position then put in brackets where their you think their best position is (Say you think Akins is best at RW but you've picked him for RWB, Just a note that I don't think Akins did as bad as some make out at RWB last Saturday)
3. Name players in order of strength in the role/position with the first being the best player in that role/position and and the last being the "worst" (not necessarily meaning they are bad players but just not as good as the others)

GK:
RWB:
CB:
LWB:
DM:
CM:
CF:

I'm just curious where you see players playing. If anyone else wants to have a go

Only my opinion but this

GK: Pym, Flinders
RWB: Gordon(RW)
CB: O'Toole(DM), Hewitt(RB), Perch, Harbottle
LWB: McLaughlin (LM or LB)
DM: Maris, Clarke, Wallace(LB)
CM:Boateng, Lapslie(AM), Quinn(LW), Law, Hartigan(not seen him play yet)
CF: Oates, Hawkins, Bowery, Swan, Akins(no idea what position to put him in)

Everyone else will probably be sent out on loan
Last edited by Suttonian on Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Suttonian
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:34 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
broomo wrote:

GK:
RWB:
CB:
LWB:
DM:
CM:
CF:

Pym, Flinders
Gordon, Akins
O’Toole, Hawkins, Perch, Harbottle, Hewitt, Cooper
Macca, Wallace
Maris, Hartigan
Quinn, Boateng, Clarke, Lapslie
Oates, Bowery, Swan, Gale

That’s utilising the two youth players. You also have Law to fit in somewhere. Could have him is a CM and Lapslie at RWB where Clough has used him a couple of times. Akins up top and Gale drops out.

Not necessarily what I’d choose to do but there is two players for every position there.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:45 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Firstly I don’t think Harbottle is here as backup.

I wouldn’t count Hewitt as he would be my first choice right back/wing back. I think Nigel is also not sure about Gordon certainly at right back. That really only leaves you one absentee if you are playing with 3 centre backs which is the position most likely to pick up suspensions. If Macca is injured you could well need Hewitt on that side of the pitch.

A good solid centre half would plug any gaps and should add much needed pace if Harbottle isn’t on the pitch. Hawkins would be my back up and could also cover if Oates is injured. So get the right centre half and a number of potential problems have a solution.

We already have the solutions to a number of potential problems.

Look, I was as angry and disappointed as anyone else at Hawkins after the PO final but to suggest he's anything other than a key player for us is ludicrous, we seem to be forgetting he was an integral part of the team that went on to show not only promotion but title winning form from Tranmere onwards.

For all the talk of him struggling with pace, how often did we get beaten by a team who tore us apart through the middle? Add to that he weighed in with the odd goal here and there and I just don't get the disrespect he's been shown.

I'd have him in my team alongside O'Toole whichever formation we played.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:49 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:our defence isn’t good enough quality wise, this will come back to bite us

Well that's that then. Season ticket for sale £200. Paid £325
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:50 pm

Dan wrote:
broomo wrote:
victor A block wrote:

Why am I posting that?

You can tell us who they are now we've not signed them :D

Sorry Dan but I won't do that in case we're back in for either at some point.

I've told one poster off the forum a couple of snippets, that's 'cos I trust him not to blab and also I was tired of people saying I was lying. And I haven't even told him everything as I was asked not to.

It's up to him whether he wants to say if I was lying or not.
broomo
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum