{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Mansfield sign Anthony Hartigan

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Stags sign Anthony Hartigan from AFC Wimbledon

Postby Class of 02 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:42 pm

Makes sense considering the injuries we have in this position and Quinns age. Do we think this means a midfielder going out as well though?
Class of 02
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:43 pm

Perhaps points to thoughts in the back of Clough’s head to revert back to the diamond at some point?
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:45 pm

Stags to move to 3-6-1?
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:48 pm

full interview available on iFollow
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:50 pm

Class of 02 wrote:Makes sense considering the injuries we have in this position and Quinns age. Do we think this means a midfielder going out as well though?
Yes I think it does.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:56 pm

Here’s what to expect :

Very tidy in possession. Will sit at base of midfield in main, possession metronome type, not quickest feet, isn't too press resistant but can spray for run at times, confident and with targets he'll top progressive passing charts for league no issue lacks mobility and power out of possession, snappy enough but not gonna dominate 2nd balls or be a ball winner. Needs legs around him
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby zod » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:56 pm

Stag95 wrote:Cracking signing at this level, if we needed a midfielder I’d be thrilled. Unless one is leaving it’s a very strange decision.

As I said in another thread, I’ve a feeling it may be Clarke.
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:00 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:full interview available on iFollow

says he prides himself in his set pieces.
Been training with a Strength & Conditioning coach 5 days per week.

What's your aim here? "To get promoted."
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Re: FLW: Mansfield in advanced talks to sign Anthony Hartiga

Postby adamstag » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:01 pm

Welcome the new lad,

Given we’ve already a top midfield but are clearly short in defence and uptop i assume there’s more to come? only 24 though so encouraging
hopefully we won’t be playing wingers in defence safurday :lol:
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby wayno cordiniho » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:08 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Here’s what to expect :

Very tidy in possession. Will sit at base of midfield in main, possession metronome type, not quickest feet, isn't too press resistant but can spray for run at times, confident and with targets he'll top progressive passing charts for league no issue lacks mobility and power out of possession, snappy enough but not gonna dominate 2nd balls or be a ball winner. Needs legs around him

Like the sound of progressive passing whatever that is, we’re too laboured and side to side or backward passes when teams don’t press us
wayno cordiniho
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:08 pm

Hope we don’t start to lose that bite and press in midfield that made us so good for a period last season, that we know we have in our locker.

Boateng is leggy but more over a long distance than 5-10 yards. Not expecting Hartigan to be quick over short bursts or have bags of energy, and Quinn will probably be with them too who isn’t as mobile as he once was. They all have other qualities which are an asset no doubt, but we need to be conscious that we don’t fall in to the same traps as last year by picking midfielders together that don’t compliment each other.

Let’s hope he improves us though, there’s a lot of competition for places in this area so hopefully worth our while. For his age he has played an impressive amount of games in League One so that is really promising.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Scothie the Stag » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:17 pm

adamstag wrote:Welcome the new lad,

Given we’ve already a top midfield but are clearly short in defence and uptop i assume there’s more to come? only 24 though so encouraging

He's 22.
Scothie the Stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:17 pm

Interesting. Doesn’t sound like there’d be room for him AND Maris in our midfield. Will be one or the other.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:17 pm

adamstag wrote:Welcome the new lad,

He's 22, we just had to pay a compensation fee because he's under the age of 24!
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:17 pm

wayno cordiniho wrote:

Like the sound of progressive passing whatever that is, we’re too laboured and side to side or backward passes when teams don’t press us

Basically a forward pass of more than ten yards.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:18 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
wayno cordiniho wrote:

Basically a forward pass of more than ten yards.

sounds like HOOF to me :lol: ;)
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:19 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:Don't talk about replacements Martin.... might get confused :lol:

I'm confusing nothing, just quoting what was said.

Gazza put it on a plate for everyone here: viewtopic.php?p=962557#p962557

still need a CB
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Re: Mansfield sign Anthony Hartigan

Postby Richard Cranium » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:28 pm

Why? We've got 5
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:34 pm

who's opinion is this Sam?

No mention of his set pieces seems quite an omission from the summary
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby gazza1988 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:37 pm

Well listening to what Clough has said in the past few weeks it would seem we are done with signings (we have 19 outfield now). Unless 1 goes out. Now this piece of business means we perhaps have a surplus in midfield and other clubs might want to take advantage of that and bid for one of our "surplus" midfielders.

Also, Clough did say Clarke has the right attributes to be a centre back and Lapslie is an option up front. So signing Hartigan could mean tht is like signing a forward and a defender. In a roundabout way. I have reservations about that plan though, truth be told.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:42 pm

I hope when the lad reads social media to see what fans are saying about him joining he doesn't get confused and take the general lack of enthusiasm or excitement the wrong way.

We should be buzzing about this, I've heard really good things about his ability to get on the ball and get his team moving forward at pace and that his set pieces are on the money 9/10 of the time.

I get the feeling the management team rate him really highly as well.

I for one think he'll be a real asset to us going forward.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:47 pm

broomo wrote:I hope when the lad reads social media to see what fans are saying about him joining he doesn't get confused and take the general lack of enthusiasm or excitement the wrong way.

We should be buzzing about this, I've heard really good things about his ability to get on the ball and get his team moving forward at pace and that his set pieces are on the money 9/10 of the time.

I get the feeling the management team rate him really highly as well.

I for one think he'll be a real asset to us going forward.

I think alot/most are pinning their hopes on these last signings as a defender or a striker so that's maybe where the lack of excitement comes from. I'm excited to see the lad play, had championship clubs looking at him not long ago and has a lot of experience in league one for a young lad and if set pieces are his strong point that's a bonus. Feel like we've not had a good set piece taker since Chris Clements :lol:

Welcome to MTFC :coys:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:57 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:

who's opinion is this Sam?

No mention of his set pieces seems quite an omission from the summary

A professional analyst.

Re his set pieces, across his whole career he has 15 assists total out of 166 games. That obviously won’t tell the whole story, but it doesn’t suggest a prolific provider in any form, never mind set pieces.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:02 pm

Maybe that is how his assists have come about?
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:07 pm

So he says he prides himself in his set pieces yet a "professional analyst" doesn't even mention them. Right.
Dan
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum