{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Mansfield sign Anthony Hartigan

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Mansfield sign Anthony Hartigan

Postby oldweststander » Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:40 pm

broomo wrote:I hope folk give him a chance and don't start watching him with a view to confirming those (written) prejudices.

Again, maybe blind trust from me but I fancy our scouting team are better equipped as football judges than a couple of Wimbledon fans on twitter

He's come here for a fresh start. Let's give him one and hopefully enjoy and appreciate what he does bring rather than what he might not.

Too many on Stagsnet believe what they see on Twitter, could it be those Wombles are just peed off because he has left them?
    oldweststander
    Manager
    Manager

Postby NEStag » Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:42 pm

Let’s give him a chance on what he does on the pitch, rather than commentary on Twitter.
    NEStag
    Subs Bench
    Subs Bench

Postby bobbystagsfan » Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:54 pm

Let's give him one game before we say he's crap :lol:

Wonder if he'll start tomorrow, could see him instead of Maris who didn't have a good game last week
    bobbystagsfan
    Manager
    Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:59 pm

I expect him to start and it will be very interesting to see who doesn’t make the squad. It could be a clue as to who may be leaving.
    Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
    Sandy Pate Best Stag
    Manager
    Manager

Postby daddycool » Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:57 am

Probably on the bench tomorrow , and starting Tuesday
    daddycool
    Manager
    Manager

Postby wayno cordiniho » Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:25 am

NEStag wrote:Let’s give him a chance on what he does on the pitch, rather than commentary on Twitter.

People are too lazy to form their own opinions about stuff these days, much easier to parrot someone random from the internet
    wayno cordiniho
    Manager
    Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:56 am

victor A block wrote:
    Cleveland_Stag wrote:
    MTFCMusings wrote:Here’s what to expect :

Very tidy in possession. Will sit at base of midfield in main, possession metronome type, not quickest feet, isn't too press resistant but can spray for run at times, confident and with targets he'll top progressive passing charts for league no issue lacks mobility and power out of possession, snappy enough but not gonna dominate 2nd balls or be a ball winner. Needs legs around him

Interesting. Doesn’t sound like there’d be room for him AND Maris in our midfield. Will be one or the other.

Don't get the Maris love in. Average end of last season and poor last week. Prefer Clarke in there personally.
    I would agree with that.
    Amber Andy
    Manager
    Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:58 am

Hartigan is number 5 if anyone cares :lol:
    bobbystagsfan
    Manager
    Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:17 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:Hartigan is number 5 if anyone cares :lol:

Nooooo!!!!! :lol:
    Tippy Tappy Football
    Manager
    Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:28 am

Nigel Clough may have different plans for Anthony Hartigan. I can't see him playing or lasting long as a defensive midfield player in a NC team if he is not a great tackler especially as Nigel hammered George Maris and Ryan Stirk for not tackling at Tranmere last season. This was a little unfair on Ryan Stirk who made a good tackle in the 1st half which set up a counter attack and who made the most tackles in the game.

If Anthony Hartigan's main strength is his crossing and passing then Nigel might play him in right midfield to whip in crosses. He might even play him as a No 10 as he was talking about signing another player to unlock defences.
    Tippy Tappy Football
    Manager
    Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:30 am

I dont get the Akins or Bowery, Maris or Hartigan they are all in the same squad they can play togeather or cover a certain position if one is injured or out of sorts
    bear 73
    Manager
    Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:45 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:Hartigan is number 5 if anyone cares :lol:

I thought you were joking about that.

Just wow.

It seems to answer the question about a centre half though.
    Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
    Sandy Pate Best Stag
    Manager
    Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:45 pm

Looked brilliant when he came on
    Theirs not to reason why
    Theirs but to do and die
    Into the valley of Death
    Rode the Six Hundred
    Spiritater
    Manager
    Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:10 pm

the interview hasn't been written up anywhere else, so I've transcribed it for the News archive:

Anthony Hartigan talks to iFollow Stags

Q: Why did you come here?
    "The staff worked hard and showed a really keen interest to get me in. I want to be part of a successful team.

"It was a difficult decision to leave AFC Wimbledon. But I needed a change, a different working environment. A different test for myself.

"I want to get back to my old self and hit the levels I know I'm capable of.

"We had a few good cup runs (at AFC Wimbledon), and playing at Wembley against Tottenham was a highlight.

"The relegation last year was the lowest point in my career, something I never want to happen again.

"Last season was a stop-start season for me. Up to Christmas was really good, I had good performances. But we couldn't seem to get a win after Christmas. I had a few injuries after Christmas and it was stop-start for me.

"I see myself as someone who likes to be creative, get on the ball, work hard.

"I played quite deep in midfield last season. I can play in the holding role, but I can also see myself getting forward and using my energy to get up and down the pitch.

"I take massive pride in my set pieces, it's a big part of my game. I try to practice and practice. We scored from a load of free kicks last year. Also from a direct shooting position as well.

"I've been training with a Strength & Conditioning coach, one of my friends called No (?spelling), I've been training with him 5 times per week.

"You can only do so much training by yourself but I feel that I'm at a good place physically to get straight involved."

Q: What's your aim here?
    "To get promoted."
    "Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
    Martin Shaw
    Site Admin

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:55 pm

Spiritater wrote:Looked brilliant when he came on

You’re very easily impressed Spiro but I like it :lol:
    MTFCMusings
    Manager
    Manager