{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Tranny score fred sponsored by Oates 2 or more

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Tranny score fred sponsored by Oates 2 or more

Postby oldweststander » Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:21 pm

MobileStag wrote:I wasn't at the game but just from watching the extended highlights I have a question for those who attended about Pym:

Are the majority of his kicks flat or is it just that the highlights package only included kicks that looked like this? Doesn't seem to punt it high in the air to set up a contested header between striker and centre back and instead seems to hit quite flat kicks, a few cases where they went to Oates' and Akins' chest?

Impressed by him so far :D

His distribution is far better than Bishop, his kicks are flat and seem to find their man, unfortunately winning headers up front is something we are not equipped to do.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:31 pm

oldweststander wrote:
MobileStag wrote:I wasn't at the game but just from watching the extended highlights I have a question for those who attended about Pym:

Are the majority of his kicks flat or is it just that the highlights package only included kicks that looked like this? Doesn't seem to punt it high in the air to set up a contested header between striker and centre back and instead seems to hit quite flat kicks, a few cases where they went to Oates' and Akins' chest?

Impressed by him so far :D

His distribution is far better than Bishop, his kicks are flat and seem to find their man, unfortunately winning headers up front is something we are not equipped to do.

His distribution and control of are excellent
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:33 pm

Just trying to join the dots here, so dont shoot me for trying to work out what is happening. I guess the clamour is for an out and out goal scoring striker, and I think naturally as supporters that's what we're all looking towards because goalkeepers save shots, defenders defend and strikers strike, dont they?. But the big clue here is that NC has literally just let an out and out goal scoring striker go 'for footballing reasons' - which says to me that he looking for his striker to contribute more football wise than just goals, which might mean that a player playing in a strikers position might not score as many goals individually but that their overall play will cause the team to score more goals than an out and out striker would do. Which then points towards players like Akins/Bowery/AN Other being not necessarily a striking striker but someone who plays in that area who gets in the way and creates and provides for others, whilst also weighing in with the odd goal or two. So maybe the reason why we're so well off midfield wise, yet surprisingly still signing players there is that these are the players who are expected to step up and score more than an average midfield might do.
It'd be interesting to see our goals and assists by position, compared with other teams - I wonder if our 'strikers' assist more than other teams do, and our midfield score more than other teams.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:47 pm

I think you are correct in that Clough wants his strikers to provide goal scoring opportunities for others. However, I still feel that we need a natural goal scorer in the squad. I don't think we would have had any of the promotions over the last 50 years if we hadn't have had that type of player. (e.g. Matt Green, Chris Greenacre, Stant, Cassells, Ernie Moss, Ray Clarke etc.) Those promotions would not have happened without their goals.
Akins & Bowrey, for all their running around simply won't score enough goals to get us promoted. For that reason, I still feel that we are deficient in the striker/goal scoring department. This has not been addressed over the summer. We are actually weaker up front than we were last season - and that wasn't good enough. I hope we bring in that player quickly.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:01 pm

Vice President wrote:I think you are correct in that Clough wants his strikers to provide goal scoring opportunities for others. However, I still feel that we need a natural goal scorer in the squad. I don't think we would have had any of the promotions over the last 50 years if we hadn't have had that type of player. (e.g. Matt Green, Chris Greenacre, Stant, Cassells, Ernie Moss, Ray Clarke etc.) Those promotions would not have happened without their goals.
Akins & Bowrey, for all their running around simply won't score enough goals to get us promoted. For that reason, I still feel that we are deficient in the striker/goal scoring department. This has not been addressed over the summer. We are actually weaker up front than we were last season - and that wasn't good enough. I hope we bring in that player quickly.

You say that, but the 2/3rds of the season where we played without an ‘out and out goalscorer’ we took 66 points from 32 games.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby wink68 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:10 pm

Marky Mark wrote:Just trying to join the dots here, so dont shoot me for trying to work out what is happening. I guess the clamour is for an out and out goal scoring striker, and I think naturally as supporters that's what we're all looking towards because goalkeepers save shots, defenders defend and strikers strike, dont they?. But the big clue here is that NC has literally just let an out and out goal scoring striker go 'for footballing reasons' - which says to me that he looking for his striker to contribute more football wise than just goals, which might mean that a player playing in a strikers position might not score as many goals individually but that their overall play will cause the team to score more goals than an out and out striker would do. Which then points towards players like Akins/Bowery/AN Other being not necessarily a striking striker but someone who plays in that area who gets in the way and creates and provides for others, whilst also weighing in with the odd goal or two. So maybe the reason why we're so well off midfield wise, yet surprisingly still signing players there is that these are the players who are expected to step up and score more than an average midfield might do.
It'd be interesting to see our goals and assists by position, compared with other teams - I wonder if our 'strikers' assist more than other teams do, and our midfield score more than other teams.

As well as Akins did holding the ball up he never gets himself into goalscoring positions. Hawkins looks much better in a 3 where he can challenge their striker and not be exposed 1 on 1 on the floor. But for me we need a proper ce tre half and Hawkins up top where he can do the job Akins did yesterday but also get in the area and get on the end of things. He may not be prolific but he got double figures in him, Akins want get in 10 goalscoring positions all season no mind goals.
wink68
Manager
Manager

Postby Ralphy » Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:12 pm

Why not swap Hewitt for Hawkins at the back and send Hawkins up front for Akins?
Ralphy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Marky Mark » Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:13 pm

I get the feeling, given the whole structure has been changed to accommodate him in a Back 3, and NC has said that a CB isn’t a priority, that if you’re waiting for Hawkins to go upfront then dont go holding your breath until it happens.
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby HitchcocksShins » Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:14 pm

Traditionally we're not really a team that has an out and out quality goal scorer. We've had roughly 6 in the last, like... 30 years? So to lean into that and require the whole team to chip in may be a very astute gamble, but ultimately it is a gamble.
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:20 pm

Even Tom Nichols, who is the only forward player that we’ve been linked with describes himself as ‘a platform to play off’. "they play up to me and I try to hold the ball up and get the team up the pitch"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:37 pm

HitchcocksShins wrote:Traditionally we're not really a team that has an out and out quality goal scorer. We've had roughly 6 in the last, like... 30 years? So to lean into that and require the whole team to chip in may be a very astute gamble, but ultimately it is a gamble.

Agreed. And I think that might have something to do with the lack of success/just missing out. Whilst we have invested heavily in players over the last few years we haven't done very well at procuring a quality goal scorer. (I think Matt Green is the only one in the last 20 years, since Greenacre - with Maynard & Walker being in the same class, but with a limited, temporary contribution).
We need the next Matt Green type goal-scoring striker ... and yes, it may require the cheque book.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:59 pm

I was very impressed with Akins yesterday. The oft mentioned 20-goal forward doesn't actually score in many games I remember looking into a few of yours who scored 20+goals and found they actually only scored in 17bgames they played in. I think it was Tyler Walker who last scored 20+ goals for us in a season and he only scored in 17 or 18 games. He missed a few games for his stupid red card and played in all the rest.

Anyone else remember that infamous "Tyler Walker" walker thread? Because he took his time getting I to the swing of things.

Akins would have capped his performance off with an excellent goal yesterday, worthy of goal of month, but instead their keeper's save is a contender for save of the month. Akins would have deserved that as well.

As for page numbers. People have more to say when we lose. To be fair last week was an away game so more were on here than yesterday. Have a look earlier during the game. I was largely posting on my own Where's an away game more people come on to read my posts and react to them. Either to agree or to disagree or fill in their opinion. I noticed a lack of posts during the game. I'm not saying theres not more posts after a loss because there is. That's part and parcel of this message board or any social media.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Elkesley Stag » Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:03 pm

Posted before on a different thread , think mr Clough would be happier with a team that scored 70 plus goals a season than an individual striker scoring 20 plus or a pair of strikers getting 30 plus.Always good to have the leagues top scorer in your side but being reliant upon one player is not necessarily a good thing. I reckon we should be thinking is the current team being set up to score goals from midfield, set pieces and midfield runners.
Elkesley Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Marky Mark » Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:10 pm

The irony is that the last striker before Walker to get 20 league goals a season was Micky Boulding - in the side that got relegated out of the league. When we got to the play off final in 2003 our highest scorer was midfielder Liam Lawrence (think there was around 12 penalties in that) but if I also remember the hardly prolific Junior Mendes was our out and out striker. I think Matt Green was also a converted attacking midfielder, in the same vein as Oates, when he came to us - and was largely unprolific before that.
Last edited by Marky Mark on Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:22 pm

Marky Mark wrote:The irony is that the last striker before Walker to get 20 league goals a season was Micky Boulding - in the side that got relegated out of the league. When we got to the play off final in 2003 our highest scorer was midfielder Liam Lawrence (think there was around 12 penalties in that) but if I also remember the hardly prolific Junior Mendes was our out and out striker.

We need a Phil stant type player knocks the Centre backs about but knew where the net was too . Oates needs help and also so easy for the opposition to defend against by dropping back and denying him space to run into .
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby Johnny H » Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:14 pm

Last season NC stated he wanted a dominant centre half whonwill head everything clear and if rumours are to be believed we tried and failed to sign the lad from Oldham (Thankfully I might add)
I think he sees Hawkins as this dominant centre half.......I was very critical last season of Hawkins but lets hope he is better suited to a back three.....he played well yesterday but better footballing teams may cause him more of an issue.
Ironiacally though |I do agree that hawkins would be an ideal partner for Oates, he can hold the ball up, flick it on and get in the box for crosses from the advancing wing backs we now play with.

NC stated he wanted to sign a Number 10 style forward (Nicols from Crawley) and I overheard a conversation yesterday where someone said we had also bid and failed to sign the lad from Notts County a month or so ago (Rodrigues was the player I think ??)
Johnson in my opinion would guarantee 15+ goals a season if he was fit but NC wants more than just goals from his strikers......lets hope we continue to keep clean sheets
Johnny H
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:24 pm

Billy the fish wrote:
Marky Mark wrote:The irony is that the last striker before Walker to get 20 league goals a season was Micky Boulding - in the side that got relegated out of the league. When we got to the play off final in 2003 our highest scorer was midfielder Liam Lawrence (think there was around 12 penalties in that) but if I also remember the hardly prolific Junior Mendes was our out and out striker.

We need a Phil stant type player knocks the Centre backs about but knew where the net was too . Oates needs help and also so easy for the opposition to defend against by dropping back and denying him space to run into .

lol if ever there was a player for us over the years who fitted his nick name it was Stanty, he feared no man, it was a privilege to watch Psycho

oh for a modern day Phil Stant
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:47 pm

Hemmings is that type of striker.He is physical and scores goals unlike Bowery who does control the ball very well is not aggresive enough.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby HU7stag » Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:35 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:
Billy the fish wrote:

lol if ever there was a player for us over the years who fitted his nick name it was Stanty, he feared no man, it was a privilege to watch Psycho

oh for a modern day Phil Stant

He was at the game yesterday. Proper partnership between Wilko & Stanty.
HU7stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:50 pm

Ralphy wrote:Why not swap Hewitt for Hawkins at the back and send Hawkins up front for Akins?

This could be a option i am sure the manager is aware of it
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:44 pm

bear 73 wrote:
Ralphy wrote:Why not swap Hewitt for Hawkins at the back and send Hawkins up front for Akins?

This could be a option i am sure the manager is aware of it

Swapping and changing NC will be on Stars In Their Eyes Soon :lol: :lol:
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby wink68 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:53 pm

No. A proper centre half.
wink68
Manager
Manager

Postby wink68 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:59 pm

Marky Mark wrote:I get the feeling, given the whole structure has been changed to accommodate him in a Back 3, and NC has said that a CB isn’t a priority, that if you’re waiting for Hawkins to go upfront then dont go holding your breath until it happens.

If Hawkins is at the back we need a striker. If he goes up front we need a defender. Not sure about NC and a small versatile squad. Versatile is OK for couple of games but we look like having 3 players every game not in their natural position. So far Hawkins Akins, Bowery and Macca all played in positions that yes they can play there but not their best. It will catch up with us in the end.
wink68
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:17 pm

gazza1988 wrote:I was very impressed with Akins yesterday. The oft mentioned 20-goal forward doesn't actually score in many games I remember looking into a few of yours who scored 20+goals and found they actually only scored in 17bgames they played in. I think it was Tyler Walker who last scored 20+ goals for us in a season and he only scored in 17 or 18 games. He missed a few games for his stupid red card and played in all the rest.

Anyone else remember that infamous "Tyler Walker" walker thread? Because he took his time getting I to the swing of things.

Akins would have capped his performance off with an excellent goal yesterday, worthy of goal of month, but instead their keeper's save is a contender for save of the month. Akins would have deserved that as well.

As for page numbers. People have more to say when we lose. To be fair last week was an away game so more were on here than yesterday. Have a look earlier during the game. I was largely posting on my own Where's an away game more people come on to read my posts and react to them. Either to agree or to disagree or fill in their opinion. I noticed a lack of posts during the game. I'm not saying theres not more posts after a loss because there is. That's part and parcel of this message board or any social media.

I get your point but would say we probably took 3 or 400 to Salford and it takes 2 and half hours to get home. So 400 watch it and there's 375+ comments before midnight on the day.

6,000+ home fans and probably back on their sofas within an hour. Yet the thread is dead by 9pm.

15 x the number of people watched it = 33% less comment on it.

It's a strange one.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Scothie the Stag » Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:50 pm

broomo wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:I was very impressed with Akins yesterday. The oft mentioned 20-goal forward doesn't actually score in many games I remember looking into a few of yours who scored 20+goals and found they actually only scored in 17bgames they played in. I think it was Tyler Walker who last scored 20+ goals for us in a season and he only scored in 17 or 18 games. He missed a few games for his stupid red card and played in all the rest.

I get your point but would say we probably took 3 or 400 to Salford and it takes 2 and half hours to get home. So 400 watch it and there's 375+ comments before midnight on the day.

6,000+ home fans and probably back on their sofas within an hour. Yet the thread is dead by 9pm.

15 x the number of people watched it = 33% less comment on it.

It's a strange one.

I don't know if I'm misunderstanding your post, and I'm not commenting either way on the validity of attendance vs number of posts, but we took 1,109 to Salford.
Scothie the Stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum