{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Clough press Conference Tues 2 Aug

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Clough press Conference Tues 2 Aug

Postby Captain Cunno » Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:21 pm

bear 73 wrote:
Big yella wrote:What’s the stumbling block, the strikers been told he’ll be right wing back on Saturday.

No he will know that he must be a utility player not a onr trick pony

Wow just Wow....

The gold medal of sticking up for Clough posts goes to Bear...
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:33 pm

I think the player will be Broom. Would be just like Peterborough to demand a little bit more after agreeing a deal with us.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:41 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:
bear 73 wrote:
Big yella wrote:What’s the stumbling block, the strikers been told he’ll be right wing back on Saturday.

No he will know that he must be a utility player not a onr trick pony

Wow just Wow....

The gold medal of sticking up for Clough posts goes to Bear...

;)

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:49 pm

If it is broom, then surely a midfielder has to leave to make way.

Hypothetically having Broom, Boateng, Maris, Quinn, Clarke, Lapslie and technically Wallace and O'Toole in midfield would be insane :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby halifaxstag » Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:16 pm

Rob wrote:His mention of a 3 sided ground in terms of atmosphere is quite clearly made in a "bad way" gazza, unless you think he means 3 sided grounds do have a better atmosphere :lol:

Clough quite clearly said that because all the home crowd are in just two stands that it creates a better atmosphere and feels like there are double the number in. So the comments were made in a good way. Sorry to burst your negative bubble.
halifaxstag
First Team
First Team

Postby wayno cordiniho » Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:21 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:If it is broom, then surely a midfielder has to leave to make way.

Hypothetically having Broom, Boateng, Maris, Quinn, Clarke, Lapslie and technically Wallace and O'Toole in midfield would be insane :lol:

If it is Broom, he must play sweeper surely
wayno cordiniho
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:30 pm

If he is letting Gale go on loan when the deal is done I suspect it is a striker.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby ElwoodBlues » Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:32 pm

All rumours but surely we should move on from signing Broom.
We don't need Midfielders
He clearly doesn't want to be here, and paying Peterborough Money for him when they are desperate to get rid .

Just doesn't add up to me.
And if young Nigel says he's happy
He must be happy
He must be happy
He must be happy in his world
ElwoodBlues
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:39 pm

Clough alluded to Ollie Clarke being utilised as a centre back. So maybe, We are signing a midfielder to move Clarke into defence?
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:41 pm

Maybe we should just sign a striker and a centre half because there the positions we actually need and stop asking playing to do jobs they can’t.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:48 pm

lifestags wrote:Maybe we should just sign a striker and a centre half because there the positions we actually need and stop asking playing to do jobs they can’t.

Clough said 19 outfield players. We are on 18 and are sticking with 19.

So basically if this deal comes off then we are done for this window unless our any of our players gather interest and they will be replaced. Gale and Cooper going out on loan doesn't count towards the totals and won't be replaced.

So if it isn't a defender/wing back we will lose a CB option on loan and won't be replaced.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:48 pm

gazza1988 wrote:Clough alluded to Ollie Clarke being utilised as a centre back. So maybe, We are signing a midfielder to move Clarke into defence?

Gazza, no :lol:

It was just a sound bite after he played there in a meaningless game for 30 minutes and was asked about it. Really don’t believe there was too much substance behind it.

If we keep thinking that strikers and midfielders can just go and play in defence then we will not go up.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:53 pm

BH_Stag wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:Clough alluded to Ollie Clarke being utilised as a centre back. So maybe, We are signing a midfielder to move Clarke into defence?

It was just a sound bite after he played there in a meaningless game for 30 minutes and was asked about it. Really don’t believe there was too much substance behind it.

If we keep thinking that strikers and midfielders can just go and play in defence then we will not go up.

Preaching to the choir my friend. Was more tongue in cheek just couldn't get my fat fingers to tap on the smilie with it's tongue out, got fed up and just posted it. could've just typed the : and P together to get it. Been a long day.

In a game with something like10 minutes left and we need someone to play CB because we don't have any other option then I'm fine with it.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Johnny H » Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:55 pm

I still think its Nicols....and the stumbling block is Crawley being unable to buy a replacement so far.
Early in the season NC said he wanted a 'Number 10 style player, someone to play off a front man and play in the hole behind.
That is not Swan........Just a hunch on Nicols though
Last edited by Johnny H on Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny H
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:55 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:

Preaching to the choir my friend. Was more tongue in cheek just couldn't get my fat fingers to tap on the smilie with it's tongue out, got fed up and just posted it. could've just typed the : and P together to get it. Been a long day.

In a game with something like10 minutes left and we need someone to play CB because we don't have any other option then I'm fine with it.

:lol: Fair enough! With all the talk of versatility it’s hard to tell at the minute!
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:07 pm

halifaxstag wrote:
Rob wrote:His mention of a 3 sided ground in terms of atmosphere is quite clearly made in a "bad way" gazza, unless you think he means 3 sided grounds do have a better atmosphere :lol:

Clough quite clearly said that because all the home crowd are in just two stands that it creates a better atmosphere and feels like there are double the number in. So the comments were made in a good way. Sorry to burst your negative bubble.

Clough is on record as saying he wants our ground to have 4 sides and to have home fans behind each goal. Furthermore, why is it negative to want us to have a 4 sided ground? Nothing about my post was negative, other than unsurprisingly I'd like to see the Bish redeveloped, as would Clough and I suspect most Stags fans.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby halifaxstag » Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:52 pm

Rob wrote:
halifaxstag wrote:

Clough is on record as saying he wants our ground to have 4 sides and to have home fans behind each goal. Furthermore, why is it negative to want us to have a 4 sided ground? Nothing about my post was negative, other than unsurprisingly I'd like to see the Bish redeveloped, as would Clough and I suspect most Stags fans.

It is not negative to want the Bishop Street developed or to have home fans behind both goals, but on this occasion you assumed that Clough’s comments were made in a bad way, which they were not.
halifaxstag
First Team
First Team

Postby Dan » Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:57 pm

So once again no one on here knows for definite who it is.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:42 pm

Dan wrote:So once again no one on here knows for definite who it is.

I do.

It's not Broom or Nichols or even John Akinde.

Maybe if certain people didn't post absolute raspberry about a person I care a lot about I'd be a bit more forthcoming.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:11 pm

halifaxstag wrote:
Rob wrote:
halifaxstag wrote:

It is not negative to want the Bishop Street developed or to have home fans behind both goals, but on this occasion you assumed that Clough’s comments were made in a bad way, which they were not.

I'm not sure what you are getting at, there are few on here who have been more supportive of Clough than me .......... I haven't listened to the interview and was making a comment to gazza in jest following very lengthy discussions about the ground etc, hence the lol. Next time I see the manager I'll ask him if he wants a 3 or 4 sided ground ;) I think we both know the answer to that.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Nottsstag100 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:36 pm

broomo wrote:

I do.

Maybe if certain people didn't post absolute raspberry about a person I care a lot about I'd be a bit more forthcoming.

can we have a clue on the position pls?
Nottsstag100
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby stagmanrob » Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:35 am

Nottsstag100 wrote:
broomo wrote:

I do.

can we have a clue on the position pls?

Centre forward, right or left wing back, or centre half all rolled into one.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:23 am

broomo wrote:

I do.

I need a word with my source :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:41 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:
broomo wrote:

I do.

I need a word with my source :lol:

:D :coys:
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:57 am

I found his comments on the Forest lads quite interesting regarding not wanting to start them straight away, and phase them in gradually as they adapted to mens football.

I get that logic with Swan as to be honest I don’t expect him to be a key player, but was surprised to hear that they were his thoughts about Harbottle.

It was pretty widely accepted that we needed to sign a Centre Back that was going to come in and improve the starting 11 from the off and make a big impact, but seemingly Clough was happy to sign someone who he essentially expected to be a squad player for at least for the early stages. That surprised me considering the switch to the 3 as well.

3 points are worth the same now as they are at any stage of the season so let’s hope he can get up to speed quicker than Clough imagined.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum