{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Radio Nottingham to broadcast commentary

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Radio Nottingham to broadcast commentary

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:31 am

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Re: Radio Nottingham to broadcast commentary

Postby wayno cordiniho » Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:34 am

Brilliant news, fingers crossed for a successful season
wayno cordiniho
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:37 am

what’s happened to “you know who” & his all about him show ?
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:40 am

Do we keep Jake or does Charlie slater return with his tail between his legs?
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:45 am

Jake will be doing the commentary
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Laney_MTFC » Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:54 am

will it still be on 103.2 as well?
Laney_MTFC
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:59 am

What!!!!

Free to air commentary. Does that mean the Wii can be retired and Spiro can afford a packet of crisps?
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Bros » Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:04 am

Martin will this affect the superb job that you do on ifollow
Nunc est bibendum
Bros
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:05 am

Laney_MTFC wrote:will it still be on 103.2 as well?

no. More details in the announcement above
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:06 am

Bros wrote:Martin will this affect the superb job that you do on ifollow

thank you. No it won't.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby bear 73 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:30 am

Just feel gutted for Craig Priest he must be terribly disappointed, like many on the media side their heart and soull are in the club.
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby HitchcocksShins » Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:41 am

Personally feel overjoyed for Jason Harrison getting let free from his radio studio prison
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby SeanieStag » Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:33 am

Well according to the Radio Nottingham schedule they're broadcasting from Nottingham Pride tomorrow, no mention of any football commentary. Am I right in thinking that Radio Nottingham also hold the commentary rights to Forest and County games too? How are they going to juggle all that if everyone plays at the same time? I will miss listening to Mansfield 103.2 and their dedicated coverage. I've a feeling that we'll be behind County in the pecking order even if they are a league below if the BBC hold all the rights.
SeanieStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby mtfcmatters » Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:43 am

bear 73 wrote:Just feel gutted for Craig Priest he must be terribly disappointed, like many on the media side their heart and soull are in the club.

Thank you mate! I thought I'd pop on and clear up the 103.2 thing (as best I can) as I'm being asked here there and everywhere.

So it's worth starting off by saying that we (103) are very disappointed in the outcome and have been trying to strike a deal for a long time, so us not doing coverage is certainly NOT for the want of trying.

Many independent commercial stations don’t bother covering their local club because it’s not practically viable, where as we had BIG plans for this season, integrating the podcast more and making 103.2 really feel like a place Stags fans could rely on – creating content that captured the emotion of following Mansfield Town FC! Something I hope we did to a degree last season when I took over in November.

To do coverage of any form, there are two huge stumbling blocks; licencing/ costs, and an agreement with the club – and at this stage, those stumbling blocks can’t be passed, the second stumbling block is now obvious IMO as the BBC (as they have done with a number of football clubs this summer) have struck a deal - I wish them, and in particular Jake, who's a top lad, well.

Anyway, I don’t know exact figures, but the licencing cost is a big chunk to swallow, you’ve also got staffing costs to add to that which over the course of a season is a lot! Anyway, to cover that you need commercial sponsors and there wasn't one to the level that we’d need to proceed - even away from sports coverage, the sales team have a tough enough job getting people given the state of the financial world at the moment!

I do know that everyone behind the scenes at 103.2 has worked tirelessly to try and sort something, but as with everything – the deal needed to benefit all parties.

On a personal level, I'm gutted and a little bit broken - I'll be back on the terraces of course, but it's going to take me a while to enjoy it again - anyone who knows me will know why commentating on Stags games meant the world to me, I'm honored to have covered the majority of last season and to finish at Wembley with two good mates alongside me is something i'll cherish forever.

As for the Podcast, well that's another story! Doing the radio stuff really helped it to grow and to be honest, without it, I don't have as much drive to carry on doing it. BUT, I know that people enjoy listening and it gives me a reason (for my own mental health) to keep going to games, so for now - it continues, especially as there's not really any other shows out there for Stags fans which is why we started it six years ago anyway!

Thanks for the lovely comments dotted around the internet, again - best wishes to Jake & the team at the BBC for the next three seasons.
mtfcmatters
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby part time pete » Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:34 am

SeanieStag wrote:Well according to the Radio Nottingham schedule they're broadcasting from Nottingham Pride tomorrow, no mention of any football commentary. Am I right in thinking that Radio Nottingham also hold the commentary rights to Forest and County games too? How are they going to juggle all that if everyone plays at the same time? I will miss listening to Mansfield 103.2 and their dedicated coverage. I've a feeling that we'll be behind County in the pecking order even if they are a league below if the BBC hold all the rights.

Radio Nottingham broadcast on a number of frequencies, the Stags will only be on 95.5fm.

Not sure you can get that on a DAB receiver or on the internet.

The 103.8 fm frequency will be used for other stuff.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:06 am

part time pete wrote:
SeanieStag wrote:Well according to the Radio Nottingham schedule they're broadcasting from Nottingham Pride tomorrow, no mention of any football commentary. Am I right in thinking that Radio Nottingham also hold the commentary rights to Forest and County games too? How are they going to juggle all that if everyone plays at the same time? I will miss listening to Mansfield 103.2 and their dedicated coverage. I've a feeling that we'll be behind County in the pecking order even if they are a league below if the BBC hold all the rights.

Radio Nottingham broadcast on a number of frequencies, the Stags will only be on 95.5fm.

Not sure you can get that on a DAB receiver or on the internet.

The 103.8 fm frequency will be used for other stuff.

The Stags commentary will be on 95.5. Presumably Forest on 103.8, County on DAB and online.
Stags commentary will not be on the Radio Nottingham website.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Pitkin » Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:10 pm

mtfcmatters wrote:
bear 73 wrote:Just feel gutted for Craig Priest he must be terribly disappointed, like many on the media side their heart and soull are in the club.

Thank you mate! I thought I'd pop on and clear up the 103.2 thing (as best I can) as I'm being asked here there and everywhere.

So it's worth starting off by saying that we (103) are very disappointed in the outcome and have been trying to strike a deal for a long time, so us not doing coverage is certainly NOT for the want of trying.

Many independent commercial stations don’t bother covering their local club because it’s not practically viable, where as we had BIG plans for this season, integrating the podcast more and making 103.2 really feel like a place Stags fans could rely on – creating content that captured the emotion of following Mansfield Town FC! Something I hope we did to a degree last season when I took over in November.

To do coverage of any form, there are two huge stumbling blocks; licencing/ costs, and an agreement with the club – and at this stage, those stumbling blocks can’t be passed, the second stumbling block is now obvious IMO as the BBC (as they have done with a number of football clubs this summer) have struck a deal - I wish them, and in particular Jake, who's a top lad, well.

Anyway, I don’t know exact figures, but the licencing cost is a big chunk to swallow, you’ve also got staffing costs to add to that which over the course of a season is a lot! Anyway, to cover that you need commercial sponsors and there wasn't one to the level that we’d need to proceed - even away from sports coverage, the sales team have a tough enough job getting people given the state of the financial world at the moment!

I do know that everyone behind the scenes at 103.2 has worked tirelessly to try and sort something, but as with everything – the deal needed to benefit all parties.

On a personal level, I'm gutted and a little bit broken - I'll be back on the terraces of course, but it's going to take me a while to enjoy it again - anyone who knows me will know why commentating on Stags games meant the world to me, I'm honored to have covered the majority of last season and to finish at Wembley with two good mates alongside me is something i'll cherish forever.

As for the Podcast, well that's another story! Doing the radio stuff really helped it to grow and to be honest, without it, I don't have as much drive to carry on doing it. BUT, I know that people enjoy listening and it gives me a reason (for my own mental health) to keep going to games, so for now - it continues, especially as there's not really any other shows out there for Stags fans which is why we started it six years ago anyway!

Thanks for the lovely comments dotted around the internet, again - best wishes to Jake & the team at the BBC for the next three seasons.

What a great answer Craig, you're an intelligent lad who clearly loves his team and football in general. I suspect that one day if not at Mansfield your broadcasting career will take flight somewhere else.
Pitkin
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby SeanieStag » Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:20 pm

Thanks for clarifying all of this.
SeanieStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby yorkshire stag » Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:29 pm

Pitkin wrote:
mtfcmatters wrote:

What a great answer Craig, you're an intelligent lad who clearly loves his team and football in general. I suspect that one day if not at Mansfield your broadcasting career will take flight somewhere else.

keep it going young un, i’m on holiday atm and enjoyed catching up on all your episodes

keep the faith
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:43 pm

Thank the Lord that Mansfield Town are news in the county. Wish 102.3 all the best with the run chase :roll:
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Martian » Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:30 pm

Don't think I can get Radio Nottingham on 95.5 FM out here near Newark - I'll have to drive west and listen in the car
Martian
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Spiritater » Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:53 pm

Martian wrote:Don't think I can get Radio Nottingham on 95.5 FM out here near Newark - I'll have to drive west and listen in the car

Or pay for Iflollow
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:02 pm

As much as everyone feels for Craig I am glad that Radio Nottm have now full home and away broadcasting rights.
Not so long back (in case anyone has forgotten) 103.3 had the commentary rights and chose not to do any. Instead they took the stance that they'd just do updates on away games whilst then sucking up to Florist and the bloody Run Chase saying they could not justify doing full commo as the listener figures didn't warrant it.
So in that respect they only have themselves to blame.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:06 pm

Listening to In the Game with Jake at the moment. All about the Stags
Have 102.3 anything on about the Stags this evening?
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby HitchcocksShins » Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:08 pm

Spiritater wrote:
Martian wrote:Don't think I can get Radio Nottingham on 95.5 FM out here near Newark - I'll have to drive west and listen in the car

Or pay for Iflollow

Or go to every single game
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum