{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Salford Score Fred sponsored by Beermen.

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Salford Score Fred sponsored by Beermen.

Postby smulls » Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:41 pm

Vice President wrote:
northern stag wrote:Meanwhile I was at Morecambe v Shrewsbury watching Faz Rawson deservedly pick up Sponsors MOM….league 1 and he didn’t put a foot wrong !!

I think we were right to let Faz go.
Harbottle is his replacement - let's wait and see.

Harbottle is more comfortable with the ball than Faz!! He didn’t put a foot wrong either.
smulls
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Billy the fish » Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:06 pm

smulls wrote:
Vice President wrote:
northern stag wrote:Meanwhile I was at Morecambe v Shrewsbury watching Faz Rawson deservedly pick up Sponsors MOM….league 1 and he didn’t put a foot wrong !!

I think we were right to let Faz go.
Harbottle is his replacement - let's wait and see.

Harbottle is more comfortable with the ball than Faz!! He didn’t put a foot wrong either.

I think Rawson would walk into this side under any other manager , He’s prone to the odd mistake but over a season he’s a decent honest L4 defender
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby Class of 02 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:51 pm

Didn't go today but it looks like Akins is going to be a problem this season if the team is going to be set up to accommodate him?
Class of 02
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:07 pm

Class of 02 wrote:Didn't go today but it looks like Akins is going to be a problem this season if the team is going to be set up to accommodate him?

Akins is not the problem and was not the problem today.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:14 pm

Akins was no worse or no better than anyone today, no one had a stinker, they were all average. I’d say Harbottle was our best player, followed by everyone else.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:56 pm

If you didn't go to the game and judged it based on the stats, you would think we dominated the game but Salford just took their few chances.

But stats dressed that performance up big time.

Loads of possession without purpose. So much sideways and backwards passing, no movement between the lines and no players making proactive forward runs.

Plenty of corners that were delivered poorly, so no real danger at all.

We still could have perhaps scored one, but there's an awful lot of improvement to come after watching that.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:01 pm

stagmanrob wrote:If you didn't go to the game and judged it based on the stats, you would think we dominated the game but Salford just took their few chances.

But stats dressed that performance up big time.

Loads of possession without purpose. So much sideways and backwards passing, no movement between the lines and no players making proactive forward runs.

Plenty of corners that were delivered poorly, so no real danger at all.

We still could have perhaps scored one, but there's an awful lot of improvement to come after watching that.

I would say we created three very good chances that I can remember off the top of my head, as well as a handful of half chances. We created as much as they of not more. The caveat is that the game state was such that Salford didn’t need to create a hatful of chances.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:15 pm

Salford had two shots and scored two goals in the 1st half. They were both poor goals to concede after Macca failed to win the ball and Maris lost possession after being possibly fouled. Hiram Boateng should have pulled a goal back for the Stags but shot wide.

We dominated possession (61%) but we did not take our chances. Plenty of possession but not enough penetration. Rhys Oates could have scored two goals in the 2nd half and I'm not sure how Lucas Akins did not get on the end of Macca's cross. Our final ball and cross was poor throughout the game. Set pieces were very poor. We did not look like scoring from our nine corners and two free kicks with many of them being over hit to the far post. My initial impression is that Riley Harbottle is better on the ball than Farrend Rawson but he is not as commanding in the air. Stephen Quinn was below his best. He struggled to get into the game in the 1st half. He improved in the 2nd half but I would have subbed him earlier. Will Swan was not strong enough up front and was knocked off the ball too easily but this also applied at times to Lucas Akins and Rhys Oates. Swan did make a couple of runs but the ball was not played to him and Macca hit a few pointless long balls down the line. Akins looked like he was still lacking confidence. When he won the ball on the edge of Salford's area in the 2nd half he should have got a shot off on goal but he passed to Rhys Oates. I don't think Oates would have passed in the same position. I met a Burton fan on Thursday in The Cavern in Liverpool and he was telling me what a good player Akins was for Burton. He was quite surprised when I told him that the jury was still out for most Stags fans.

It's a big ask for Riley Harbottle and Will Swan to come into a League 2 promotion side with four league starts between them. I still think we need an experienced commanding centre half at the back. This arguably cost us promotion last season. We did not improve until John Joe O'Toole arrived on the scene. We also need another experienced centre forward to replace Danny Johnson. We could be in trouble if Rhys Oates was injured.

It was difficult to pick a man of the match. Jordan Bowery deserves credit for playing in three different positions and did ok at centre half. Perhaps he should have started there. Christy Pym is very comfortable on the ball and passed the ball well and made a good save. Hiram Boateng did ok but could have scored in both halves.

The three/five at the back is a work in progress and looks promising but we need to kick into gear as soon as possible.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:16 pm

he will only succeed if he stops playing his favourites who aren’t good enough.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:21 pm

adamstag wrote:he will only succeed if he stops playing his favourites who aren’t good enough.

If there were any non ex-Burton players who weren't performing regularly, they'd be out of the team after at most, two bad performances.

He can't keep providing blind loyalty to his ex players hoping they can resurrect the form they gave him in the past....how many times do they have to play poorly before he takes them out?

If they were still playing as well as they were back when Cloughie had them, then Burton wouldn't have binned them off would they?

He might need to face facts that he's flogging a dead horse trying to get performances out of certain players whose abilities are obviously not what they once were.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby diablo » Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:11 pm

I forecast a 2-0 defeat ..we had Hawkins suspended.. Wallace, Law and Perch out injured with Quinn and Lapslie doubtful before the game, Quinn was obviously not fully fit but still started..on top of which he puts Gordon, Hewitt, Lapslie and Clarke on the bench...He then throws in 2 untried and untested kids and puts out a bizarre unbalanced formation..surely any three of Gordon, Hewitt, Lapslie and Clarke should have started ahead of Swan, Harbottle and the still hapless but willing Akins...We need an experienced centre half in the Faz mould and another experienced striker like Danny Johnson...Players need to aspire to greater things a Manager needs to inspire his players , today neither of these things happened.
diablo
First Team
First Team

Postby Walton Stag » Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:24 am

adamstag wrote:he will only succeed if he stops playing his favourites who aren’t good enough.

Who are these favourites exactly? And who would you have played in their place yesterday?
Walton Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby St Hilary Stag » Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:49 am

Surely we cant keep playing Swan up front ,,,,,,, does nothing for me & to light weight !
Far South West's number ONE fan
'
St Hilary Stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:17 am

I don’t blame a single player for yesterday’s performance.

When you line up with such a bizarre team selection your confidence must be knocked before a ball is even kicked.

These players aren’t mugs and they know the strengths and weaknesses of their team mates. They knew they were going into a tough game and also have been best placed to make a judgement when training this week.

I’m sure they all believe in Clough and what he’s doing but much more of that combination of selection and tactics (tactics are fine with the correct personnel) and it will be difficult to lift their confidence back to a win at all costs mentality.

I know Clough is much better than that and is the right one but he needs to put his hands up and not stubbornly press on regardless.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:44 am

I thought Swan did fine yesterday. A few times he chased balls and if boeteng had his finishing boots on he would have had an assist.

We can't complain that oates had no service and feeding of scraps and then lambast Swan for not being as involved.

Yesterday was a good example of why having lots of "versatile" players covering random positions isn't great.

We lost Perch and look what we happened to the side to accommodate that single centre half that was missing from the squad. LWB moved to CB, forward moved to LWB.

You know it's bad when we are clamouring for the return of last seasons makeshift centre half.

What I find most odd is Clough inherited a side to play this system, refused to play it and shoehorned players into a back 4. Worked for Macca but didn't for Gordon. Signs a RB and plays him at CB clearly needing a CB and results are crap until he signed one and moved the RB to RB. Then builds a side suited to a back 4 and shoehorn players in to a back 3 system.

Hawkins would be a decent addition to the back line in the middle of a back 3. However I also think with the freedom given to the 2 wing backs and the crosses we can put in Hawkins would get a fair few goals up top and can set up other players. Especially if we are reverting to aimless long balls like we did yesterday.

Now it is very very early in the season and Clough may have identified alot of this and is making moves to rectify it in the transfer market. There's still 4 and a bit weeks to go.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:58 am

Spiritater wrote::coys: We were doomed on Sunday by the Beermen I'm afraid.

;) ;)

Not a good day at the office , long way to go yet , #KeepTheFaith#
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:59 am

Here’s my 2 pence worth:

Nigel got that wrong yesterday, he once again shows his stubbornness, I get he wants to play 5 at the back but did we really need to do it yesterday? Did we really need to play 3 players out of position? He could of gone 4 at the back and played the diamond which was so effective last season. The team played like complete strangers yesterday. We were so easily opened up and had nothing upfront.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:22 am

Midfield totally by passed and over run some of the time. I would play Ollie Clarke from the start, with Boetang and one of Maris/Lapslie.
As others have said we really need a quality centre half and a striker. Its not a season to waste waiting to find out if Swan can play mens football. Gordon should have started.
And he must stop picking his team around Akins and to a lesser extent shoe horning Bowery in as well in positions he cant play in.. I'll get my hat on.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby Speccy » Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:26 am

It looked to me like the biggest problem yesterday was composure. Very reminiscent of the start we made last season, no lack of effort but a lack of clear thinking.
It sounds daft but I think they’re trying too hard.
The best football we played last season was when we kept the ball in the opposition half and passed the hell out of teams. We often made it look like a training session in a game and for me that’s all down to composure.
I don’t think there was much wrong with the formation or team selection, not ideal having players out of position but they’re all experienced enough to get on with it, it’s all they’ve done for their entire lives!
It will come, we could do with a few pizza cup games or games against the divisions less strong sides to instil a bit of confidence.
Chin up. Long way to go yet.
Speccy
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby oldweststander » Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:47 am

lifestags wrote:Here’s my 2 pence worth:

Nigel got that wrong yesterday, he once again shows his stubbornness, I get he wants to play 5 at the back but did we really need to do it yesterday? Did we really need to play 3 players out of position? He could of gone 4 at the back and played the diamond which was so effective last season. The team played like complete strangers yesterday. We were so easily opened up and had nothing upfront.

That's how I see it too
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Stagdale » Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:48 am

victor A block wrote:Midfield totally by passed and over run some of the time. I would play Ollie Clarke from the start, with Boetang and one of Maris/Lapslie.
As others have said we really need a quality centre half and a striker. Its not a season to waste waiting to find out if Swan can play mens football. Gordon should have started.
And he must stop picking his team around Akins and to a lesser extent shoe horning Bowery in as well in positions he cant play in.. I'll get my hat on.

Absolutely spot on this comment and gets to the root of Mansfield's problems, which were also obvious last season. To be a serious promotion contender you have to bury some sides. Last season we only beat one team by more than 2 goals.....Scunthorpe, when they were dead and buried and the poorest team I have ever seen in league 2.
Stagdale
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby adamstag » Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:16 am

It’s why pre season results mean so little.

Yesterday the team looked like they’d never met each other.

One of the best wide players in the league in centre defence? surely gordon would have played?

His fascination with the hapless (though again played out of position) akins is just bizarre, let it go nigel - you don’t have to start him.

Better 2nd half and oates was unlucky not to score towards the end.

For all the stuff mentioned in pre season etc tjat in honesty was a pile of raspberries
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:50 am

Love a good Sunday morning read of the match thread after being at the game..

It's a good chuckle..
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:58 pm

So we had Perch, wallace, Law injured, and Hewitt, Gordon not match fit, Hawkins banned, and O"Toole with a knee problem.
six defenders not fully fit or available, and team selection was limited.
Our performance was poor Clough agreed with the fans , i thought we were still in pre-season we were off the pace.
But still the game was won because they took their chances and we did not.
We knew having a short break would affect the players and Clough has reflected the season starting early has done us no favours.
Losing games is common in football and we move on
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:30 pm

:good_post: :good_post:
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum