{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Salford Score Fred sponsored by Beermen.

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Salford Score Fred sponsored by Beermen.

Postby 1970Stag » Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:53 pm

Giving teams a head start was a problem last season wasn't it, nice to see we've snuffed out that problem...
1970Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:54 pm

:coys: We were doomed on Sunday by the Beermen I'm afraid.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:54 pm

We seem to have gone 4-2-4 with Hewitt and Bowery at CB.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:55 pm

so completed baffled by his formation & team selection today, what on earth was that all about ?
Last edited by yorkshire stag on Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:55 pm

Lapslie finds boeteng just inside the area but his low cross is blocked.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:56 pm

Marky Mark wrote:To be fair, we should have won this. They’re no better than us, we’ve just given them a head start again and not been able to finish

It’s about putting the ball in the opposition net we’ve really threatened, but some may feel we are still going to walk this league …. We’ve failed to address our weaknesses from last season and that will tell if not sorted asap..
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:56 pm

FT its a 2-0 loss for the Stags.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:57 pm

Some bizarre decisions today by Clough. Bowery has played three different positions and not one of them in an attacking role despite being primarily a striker and us trailing for 95% of the game
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby SeanieStag » Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:59 pm

Billy the fish wrote:
Marky Mark wrote:To be fair, we should have won this. They’re no better than us, we’ve just given them a head start again and not been able to finish

It’s about putting the ball in the opposition net we’ve really threatened, but some may feel we are still going to walk this league …. We’ve failed to address our weaknesses from last season and that will tell if not sorted asap..

If only we could get hold of a striker who knocks in hat-tricks for fun.
SeanieStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Johnny H » Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:59 pm

stag324 wrote:Clough has let us down today with this team and all the changes in formation.

Fitting around his favourites players

Just like Wembley

Get ready for the usual NC interview......
Individual mistakes costing us goals and failing to hit the target and put the ball in the net.

He has never yet stated he got things wrong......and his stubbornness is his biggest failure !
Johnny H
Manager
Manager

Postby CassellsCap » Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:00 pm

9 corners . 14 shots off target . 15 players used... ?? Zero goals
CassellsCap
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Conker » Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:00 pm

Never read too much in to the opening game, obviously disappointing nevertheless - both attacks that led to the goals were due to poor mistakes from our end and we lacked any quality in front of goal ourselves.

I believe Clough is the man for the job obviously like the majority of Mansfield fans, that’s without question, but he can be a proper weirdo at times just to fit in his favourites.

No professional manager should think it’s a sound, reasonable idea to play probably the best left sided full back in the division at CB, I don’t care if it’s a back three, it’s a ridiculous decision.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby tmwilson » Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:03 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:so completed baffled by his formation & team selection today, what on earth was that all about ?

Spot on. I said last season, Cloughie one of the best managers we have had but definitely one of the most confusing
tmwilson
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:05 pm

Cloughs decisions in the last 2 competitive games have bordered on negligent. A complete unwillingness to see things from an objective point of view due to a stubbornness of either picking certain personnel or a certain formation. I’ll say that I’m generally a big fan of Clough as well.

Today was baffling. We played a back 5 where only 2 players across that 5 were in a natural position…. We kept that formation to our complete detriment for 90 minutes and neither of those 2 players finished the game :lol:

Nothing he did made any sense whatsoever. What makes it worse for me is it was pretty clear this would happen today, could see it coming.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby lancer » Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:09 pm

Clough needs to hold his hands up on this one I’m afraid, learn by it and move on. End of
lancer
First Team
First Team

Postby Mansf1eld » Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:09 pm

That was absolute dross.
:evil: Against Modern Football :evil:
Mansf1eld
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:10 pm

BH_Stag wrote:Cloughs decisions in the last 2 competitive games have bordered on negligent. A complete unwillingness to see things from an objective point of view due to a stubbornness of either picking certain personnel or a certain formation. I’ll say that I’m generally a big fan of Clough as well.

Today was baffling. We played a back 5 where only 2 players across that 5 were in a natural position…. We kept that formation to our complete detriment for 90 minutes and neither of those 2 players finished the game :lol:

Nothing he did made any sense whatsoever. What makes it worse for me is it was pretty clear this would happen today, could see it coming.

completely agree, let’s see if any of the reporters had the bottle to ask him what everyone else was thinking ?
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:10 pm

Oh dear, Nigel saying it'll take us a couple of months to get up to speed
Re-run of last season?
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:14 pm

BH_Stag wrote:Cloughs decisions in the last 2 competitive games have bordered on negligent. A complete unwillingness to see things from an objective point of view due to a stubbornness of either picking certain personnel or a certain formation. I’ll say that I’m generally a big fan of Clough as well.

Sheff Utd supporting mate told me when we appointed NC get ready for Negative Nigel he try’s to live in his dads footsteps but ain’t got a tactical clue..
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby HitchcocksShins » Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:14 pm

CassellsCap wrote:9 corners . 14 shots off target . 15 players used... ?? Zero goals

A loss, an ex player having a great game against us, their keeper pulling off a fantastic save at a pivotal moment of the game and an ex Stag scoring a hat trick for their new club.

Life as an MTFC fan
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:16 pm

The story of that game was that we gave them a 2 goal and 45 minute head start with the questionable starting line up, and then threw in 2 missed open goals for good measure. They barely had a kick second half until the last 10 minutes, they didn’t need one though.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:17 pm

It looks like we are in for a long season if that’s the yardstick.

We should have scored 4 or 5 but credit to Salford for their game plan.

It’s obvious we need another centre half and please don’t tell me we would have been better with Hawkins as Salford didn’t play a high lump it game. Hawkins would have been turned inside out with those forwards.

It would appear we can’t rely on the midfield to put the ball in the net but Lapslie did liven things up when he came on.

Much improvement needed as on that display we will be at the wrong end of the table. Clough should take that on the chin and learn from it. He has most of the players he needs but needs to look hard at his favourites.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Stagdale » Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:24 pm

I question NC’s recruitment. For me we need to sign permanently a GK,CH and CF and build the rest around this spine. I accept that Pym will probably be a permanent signing at the end of the season and is a very good signing. But two key positions on loan is a mistake. Even if they do the job we have to sign replacements next season. Oh for a proven striker!!!

Team selection today absolutely baffling. Square pegs in round holes yet again. Player of last season played out of position.Bizarre! It certainly looks like some players are on the team sheet no matter what.

It is the first game of the season so there is a long way to go but without a solid defence promotion will be very difficult to achieve.
Stagdale
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Jamie » Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:25 pm

Not a great start but some of the tears on here are funny. We've had a strong pre season but yes lost the first game. Its not like there's not another 135 points to play for or anything...
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:26 pm

I agree with most of the comments about team selection.

Both goals came from balls into the Macca’s area, where a proper centre back should have been playing.

As soon as we brought Hewitt on and had players playing in more natural positions we became the better side and created some decent opportunities and limited them to very little.

Bad result but no need to over react.

I though Nartey was pretty solid for them.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum