{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Salford Score Fred sponsored by Beermen.

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Salford Score Fred sponsored by Beermen.

Postby Walton Stag » Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:47 am

Walton Stag wrote:
adamstag wrote:he will only succeed if he stops playing his favourites who aren’t good enough.

Who are these favourites exactly? And who would you have played in their place yesterday?

“ Yesterday the team looked like they’d never met each other.

One of the best wide players in the league in centre defence? surely gordon would have played?

His fascination with the hapless (though again played out of position) akins is just bizarre, let it go nigel - you don’t have to start him.”

So,just Akins then?
Walton Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:30 am

The main priority for Nigel Clough should be to strengthen our defence. If you go away to Salford and have 61% possession, 9 corners, 5 free kicks and create 4 decent chances then you should be coming away with a draw at least. Our defending was far too soft. We conceded goals from a throw in and a counter attack where we lost the ball in Salford's half.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:43 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:The main priority for Nigel Clough should be to strengthen our defence. If you go away to Salford and have 61% possession, 9 corners, 5 free kicks and create 4 decent chances then you should be coming away with a draw at least. Our defending was far too soft. We conceded goals from a throw in and a counter attack where we lost the ball in Salford's half.

I agree with poor defending and a lack lustra performance but even then we wasted so many clear cut chances.
Playing 3 at the back means we have to have quality and pace
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby scotsstag » Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:47 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:The main priority for Nigel Clough should be to strengthen our defence. If you go away to Salford and have 61% possession, 9 corners, 5 free kicks and create 4 decent chances then you should be coming away with a draw at least. Our defending was far too soft. We conceded goals from a throw in and a counter attack where we lost the ball in Salford's half.

Agree fully that our defending was soft, but surely the stats you've stated say we need someone who can convert all of those various opportunities more.
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:52 am

gazza1988 wrote:We probably won that on Xg...... Just saying. ;)

Yes, we did 0.9 to 1.6 xGs

Makes you wonder if we are just missing that fox in the box striker like…………..DJ
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:32 pm

part time pete wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:We probably won that on Xg...... Just saying. ;)

Yes, we did 0.9 to 1.6 xGs

Makes you wonder if we are just missing that fox in the box striker like…………..DJ

For footballing reasons we don't, apparently :roll:
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:26 am

broomo wrote:
Big yella wrote:
broomo wrote:As always, I'll be very interested to see how long the matchday thread is when we beat Tranmere.

This place is horrible bordering on embarrassing yesterday and today.

Give it a rest.
Saint Nigel got it wrong yesterday.
He can’t admit it.
You can’t admit it.
No one is shocked at either of those.

All I do is say it as I see it. I'll leave it to folk like you to turn into a stupid personal issue.

All of this "Saint Nigel" stuff is as boring as it is daft. I just trust him more than you do to get it right more often than wrong.

I trust him more than me to get it right, but yet again you avoid the simple yes or no answer because you just can’t see past your “Saint Nigel” outlook.

Did he get the team selection and tactics right or wrong on Saturday, yes or no?

Go on you can do it.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby Stag95 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:54 am

People’s obsessions with Broomo and Bear is very strange. Nigel got it wrong clearly but I do not understand making a big deal trying to force them to say that.
Stag95
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:04 am

Big yella wrote:
broomo wrote:
Big yella wrote:
broomo wrote:As always, I'll be very interested to see how long the matchday thread is when we beat Tranmere.

Give it a rest.
He can’t admit it.
You can’t admit it.

All I do is say it as I see it. I'll leave it to folk like you to turn into a stupid personal issue.

All of this "Saint Nigel" stuff is as boring as it is daft. I just trust him more than you do to get it right more often than wrong.

I trust him more than me to get it right, but yet again you avoid the simple yes or no answer because you just can’t see past your “Saint Nigel” outlook.

Did he get the team selection and tactics right or wrong on Saturday, yes or no?

Go on you can do it.

Except it'a not a simple yes or no and the reality is I don't know the answer. We did however lose the game.

You can trot out this saint nigel raspberrys all you like but it changes nothing.

Would Harbottle and Maris have made the same mistakes if Macca was playing left back in a four? Would we have taken our chances if Hewitt or Gordon were playing right back?

No-one will ever know, not me, not you and not saint nigel.

There has been so much rubbish spouted this past few days that if I took notice and believed it all, we won't win a game all season as we've apparently got no defenders, no goal scorers, our players are going to get sent off every week, our manager is an idiot, the players should be picking the side based on how they feel training went that week, we haven't and won't sign enough quality, Quinns attitude stinks, Akins is only playing cos he's Clough's mate, Hawkins is a liability and folk hope Johnson (who doesn't play for us) scores boatloads of goals to teach Nigel a lesson and opposition scouts will be able to work out how to beat us every game.

All of this after one game that I'm fairly confident not everyone who has commented has even seen.

But to you, everything will be better if I, a forum poster with no more knowledge than any one else of how to pick or set up a side to win a game, blames the manager?

I'm flattered but you over estimate my skills.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:48 am

Stag95 wrote:People’s obsessions with Broomo and Bear is very strange. Nigel got it wrong clearly but I do not understand making a big deal trying to force them to say that.

You can tell Big Yella really has it in for them, he posted straight after a mention of xG and didn’t slag it off :lol:
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:15 am

broomo wrote:
Big yella wrote:
broomo wrote:
Big yella wrote:

Give it a rest.
He can’t admit it.
You can’t admit it.

Go on you can do it.

Except it'a not a simple yes or no and the reality is I don't know the answer. We did however lose the game.

You can trot out this saint nigel raspberrys all you like but it changes nothing.

Would Harbottle and Maris have made the same mistakes if Macca was playing left back in a four? Would we have taken our chances if Hewitt or Gordon were playing right back?

There has been so much rubbish spouted this past few days that if I took notice and believed it all, we won't win a game all season as we've apparently got no defenders, no goal scorers, our players are going to get sent off every week, our manager is an idiot, the players should be picking the side based on how they feel training went that week, we haven't and won't sign enough quality, Quinns attitude stinks, Akins is only playing cos he's Clough's mate, Hawkins is a liability and folk hope Johnson (who doesn't play for us) scores boatloads of goals to teach Nigel a lesson and opposition scouts will be able to work out how to beat us every game.

All of this after one game that I'm fairly confident not everyone who has commented has even seen.

But to you, everything will be better if I, a forum poster with no more knowledge than any one else of how to pick or set up a side to win a game, blames the manager?

great post broomo, one of the very few who actually speak sense on here.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:39 am

broomo wrote:
Big yella wrote:
broomo wrote:
Big yella wrote:

Give it a rest.
He can’t admit it.
You can’t admit it.

Go on you can do it.

Knew you couldn’t do it. :roll: :roll:
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:50 am

I don't think there has been an overeaction reading this thread. People point out clear frustration on how this has unfolded.

Bar the obvious poster its clear to see that EVERYONE looked at that team and agrees the team selection, retaining the formation with wing backs was the wrong call today. We didnt have fit enough players to fulfil it which resulted in players out of position. Although those players out of position didnt directly impact the goals, it 100% impacted the course of the game over 90mins.

Anyway, I trust clough to get it right, especially when we have a fit squad.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:07 am

PEAR CIDER wrote:I don't think there has been an overeaction reading this thread. People point out clear frustration on how this has unfolded.

Bar the obvious poster its clear to see that EVERYONE looked at that team and agrees the team selection, retaining the formation with wing backs was the wrong call today. We didnt have fit enough players to fulfil it which resulted in players out of position. Although those players out of position didnt directly impact the goals, it 100% impacted the course of the game over 90mins.

I am not sure you can say everyone bar one, unless I am the one.

If we played a back four, who was fit enough to start to play right back, Akins?

If so then it is the same team with Akins just playing deeper.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby bear 73 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:44 am

Live game, - Ifollow,-E-F-L highlights - Stagsnet report by Martin -, Lomas of the Chad, Clough - Extended highlights and broomo, Waiting for Mansfield Matters Podcast.
We were Lac lustra and off the pace, and still if we took 4 golden chances we still could have got something.
No body looks at the league table until after about 12 games when it starts to take shape.
All that happened on Sat was predicted injuries, lack of rest with the playoffs and world cup.
Still the fact was it was a poor performance.
It takes time tio analyse any game and this game was lost by poor defending and wasted goal oppurtunities.
And we have to ask ourselves why attack our own players and staff is that being suportive.
broomo is right we get more support on here when we lose. perhaps not a lot to say when we win.
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:46 am

part time pete wrote:
PEAR CIDER wrote:I don't think there has been an overeaction reading this thread. People point out clear frustration on how this has unfolded.

I am not sure you can say everyone bar one, unless I am the one.

If we played a back four, who was fit enough to start to play right back, Akins?

If so then it is the same team with Akins just playing deeper.

I have not seen one person agreeing with Bowery at LWB and Macca and LCB. Yes, Aikens at right back where he has played before. which then makes the formation the same that won us many a game as last season
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:06 am

:D Where is our new fredder , don't be shy , i wait till we have a full squad ;) :lol: :lol: ;)
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:33 am

Whoscored Ratings

Whoscored clearly do not deduct marks for defensive errors or missing chances in their ratigs. They do add marks on for goals and asssts.

Stephen McLaughlin 7.2 (Should be much lower. At fault for both goals)
Stephen Quinn 6.8 (Disappointing 1st half. Much better 2nd half)
Hiram Boateng 6.6 (Missed two chances)
Rhys Oates 6.5 (Missed two chances)
Jordan Bowery 6.3 (Should be higher up. Had a reasonable game playing in three different positions)
Lucas Akins 6.3 (Still waiting for that big impact. Good ball to set up Rhys Oates)
Riley Harbottle 6.2 (At fault for first goal)
George Maris 6.1 (At fault for second goal)
John Joe O'Toole 6.0 (Should be higher up. A few stray passes but no defensive errors. Good block in 2nd half)
Will Swann 6.0 (One good cross but struggled to make an impact)
Christy Pym 5.9 (Should be higher up. Made a couple of good saves but probably given a low rating by whoscored because he did not have much to do)

Salford City
Brandon Thomas Asante 8.2
Richard Nartey 7.9
Theo Vassell 7.7

Touches
Jordan Bowery 84
Riley Harbottle 83
Stephen McLaughlin 82
Hiram Boateng 78
John Joe O'Toole 76
Stephen Quinn 66
Lucas Akins 69
Richard Nartey 58

Accurate Passes
Riley Harbottle 57
Jordan Bowery 56
John-Joe O'Toole 55
Stephen McLaughlin 49
Stephen Quinn 48
Hiram Boateng 46
Elliott Watt 42

Pass Success Rate
Lucas Akins 91%
Jordan Bowery 88%
Elliot Watt 88%
Stephen Quinn 87%
Stephen McLaughlin 86%
George Maris 85%
Riley Harbottle 83%
John Joe O'Toole 80%

Key Passes
Stephen Quinn 4
Stephen McLaughlin 3
Lucas Akins 2
Brandon Thomas-Asante 2
Elliot Watt 2

Defensive Aerials
Theo Vassell 6
Richard Nartey 5
Ibou Touray 4
Brandon Thomas-Asante 3
Riley Harbottle 3

Tackles
Hiram Boateng 4
George Lapslie(Sub) 3
Richard Nartey 3
Conor McAleny 2
Elliott Hewitt(Sub) 2

Interceptions
Jordan Bowery 3
Stephen McLaughlin 3
Ryan Watson 3
Theo Vassell 3
Richard Nartey 3

Clearances
Richard Nartey 9
Theo Vassell 6
Ibou Touray 4
Ryan Watson 3
Ryan Leak(Sub) 3
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:56 am

You certainly make a good case for them being nonsense Tippy
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:10 am

As I’ve said before, the ratings are a nonsense.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:49 am

You can argue with the ratings but the individual data usually points reasonably accurately to who played well and who did not.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum