{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Danny Johnson

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Danny Johnson

Postby Conker » Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:36 am

Gale is leaving on loan and Hawkins is a CB mostly in his eyes so definitely we could do with one incoming that is a likely starter.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:11 pm

Bowery and Akins are engine room players. They are in attacking positions ideally but will be needed to fill in elsewhere at time. They also don't get the goals regularly enough to be relied on as an out and out striker.

Hawkins I think is making the transition from CF to CB insofar as Nigel's team selection being concerned. He is a big part of the back 3 now.

Gale and swan too young to comment on their goal return and it'd be unfair to saddle them with with the burden of expectations of goal returns at their stages in development.

Oates is the key. We have to play to set him free and compliment his skills and abilities. But even he had Barron patches last season.

I think we DO need another striker. One that can reliably notch a few but also rotate across the attacking positions among all the partnership possibilities.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:25 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:Bowery and Akins are engine room players. They are in attacking positions ideally but will be needed to fill in elsewhere at time. They also don't get the goals regularly enough to be relied on as an out and out striker.

Hawkins I think is making the transition from CF to CB insofar as Nigel's team selection being concerned. He is a big part of the back 3 now.

Gale and swan too young to comment on their goal return and it'd be unfair to saddle them with with the burden of expectations of goal returns at their stages in development.

Oates is the key. We have to play to set him free and compliment his skills and abilities. But even he had Barron patches last season.

I think we DO need another striker. One that can reliably notch a few but also rotate across the attacking positions among all the partnership possibilities.

Completely agree. Oates is the standout forward but he is also quite prone to picking up strains or knocks because of the type of player he is - further reason to strengthen.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:33 pm

"Walsall goal-hero Danny Johnson has batted off speculation about his future and says he is just enjoying his football at the the Poundland Bescot Stadium for now. Johnson was the main man on Saturday, popping up with a 92nd minute winner to earn Walsall all three points against Crawley when it looked like they might have to settle for one. Talk after the game inevitably turned to the on-loan Mansfield marksman's future, and whether Walsall will be able to keep him for the rest of the season. But Johnson said he would 'live for the moment' and was just glad to be back on the score sheet again with his tenth of the season and said he had set himself a target of 15 by Christmas.

He said: "That is the best I have managed before so I want to match that. I had been a bit concerned by my lack of goals in recent weeks so it was nice to score against Crawley - particularly the winner of course but I was just relieved to see it go in. I am enjoying my football and everyone seems happy at the moment with me and the atmosphere is good so I don't think of anything else except the next game. Although I don't get obsessed with goal records, my best is 15 by Christmas and that is achievable so I will be looking to achieve that and see what happens in January."

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/fo ... eculation/
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:38 pm

Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:13 pm

Will be interesting to see what goes on in Jan with him!
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:18 pm

Nice to see a footballer getting his “your, you’re” right!
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:19 pm

Dan wrote:Nice to see a footballer getting his “your, you’re” right!

Your not wrong they're Dan ;)
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:19 pm

:lol: :lol:
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:52 pm

Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby victor A block » Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:14 pm

If we aren't going to sign another striker then bring him back.
Akins and Bowery won't score them, Swan is still learning and Oates is prone to injury and like any striker will have a barren spell.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby Costastag » Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:13 pm

part time pete wrote:https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/walsall-fc/2022/12/19/walsall-have-a-plan-b-for-striker/

A bit of paper talk here about DJ

Hes hardly going to admit they desperately want him
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Costastag » Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:16 pm

Suppose its a question of ,can we sign a better replacement ,if not dont sell him ,if yes sign em ,simple and probably way off the mark
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:43 pm

No point in having a player who doesn't want to be here. Just get a fee that reflects the value he provides Walsall. Then move on.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:49 pm

Amber Andy wrote:No point in having a player who doesn't want to be here. Just get a fee that reflects the value he provides Walsall. Then move on.

I agree. Plus if he isn't sold, he'll just leave for nothing in the summer.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:42 pm

Would he want to come back and play now even though under contract
Not sure I would after settling and feeling good at Walsall
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:51 am

Danny Johnson will never play for Mansfield again...
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:58 pm

Why would he want to play for Clough, even though he scores goals he would be at best 2nd choice to Akins for instance

There's only one reason we should keep him and that's to stop any threat from Walsall but if we have to do that it just shows where we are as an automatic promotion contender.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby zod » Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:14 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:Danny Johnson will never play for Mansfield again...

Not this week anyway.
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby stag324 » Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:06 pm

We should just let him go. I find it would be a very poor reflection on us if we try and hold onto him till the summer
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:17 pm

stag324 wrote:We should just let him go. I find it would be a very poor reflection on us if we try and hold onto him till the summer

I don't think we'll just keep him here doing nothing. JR will want the funds and I bet Nigel would like the Dosh to spend on someone else
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:39 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:Danny Johnson will never play for Mansfield again...

But will he Play for Walsall again ??
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby BenJwells » Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:22 pm

JR's decision surely. Sounds like Clough would give him a go but the club will likely want to cash in on one of the leagues best goal scorers

Depends what the club see as worth more.... risk playing him and seeing if he will score enough and do enough to help us achieve our main aim Or cash value for a player that will go for free in a few months.
BenJwells
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby adamstag » Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:07 pm

If he’s going to walsall which we all assume he will there has to be a replacement, must as there needs to be reinforcements in defence.

Trust him as a manager i do, but he can’t afford yet another failure of a transfer window on the bounce from the summer.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:43 pm

adamstag wrote:If he’s going to walsall which we all assume he will there has to be a replacement, must as there needs to be reinforcements in defence.

Trust him as a manager i do, but he can’t afford yet another failure of a transfer window on the bounce from the summer.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see him go back to orient
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum