{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Danny Johnson

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Danny Johnson

Postby Sue » Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:55 pm

gazza1988 wrote:Just to be clear. We can't believe what Nigel Clough and Danny Johnson say about a potential bust up between Nigel Clough and Danny Johnson because someone's auntie thrice removed has a pet dog whose brother went to the same dog park as Nigel and his dog and that dog said they had a bust up?

The way I see it we've now got both sides of the story. They match up. So either they did have a bust up and, like grown up adults, buried the hatchet. Or it just never happened. either way it is irrelevant now.

Good post. Onwards and upwards. COYS.
Sue
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby pemill » Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:08 pm

The sooner he scores the sooner this 'noise' disappears, hope he bags one Saturday

:coys:
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:24 pm

Sue wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:Just to be clear. We can't believe what Nigel Clough and Danny Johnson say about a potential bust up between Nigel Clough and Danny Johnson because someone's auntie thrice removed has a pet dog whose brother went to the same dog park as Nigel and his dog and that dog said they had a bust up?

The way I see it we've now got both sides of the story. They match up. So either they did have a bust up and, like grown up adults, buried the hatchet. Or it just never happened. either way it is irrelevant now.

Good post. Onwards and upwards. COYS.

Sense at last.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:37 am

From Walsall Express:

"Supporters at a Fans Focus meeting at Bescot Stadium were told the club had resisted the temptation to go beyond what was reasonable to keep the 15-goal striker who was recalled by parent club Mansfield Town. Co chairman Leigh Pomlett said he and Benjamin Boycott had worked 'tirelessly' to negotiate with the East Midlands club until finally giving up halfway through the Salford away game on January 31 when it was clear they were going to have to pay a lot more than their ownj valuation.

Pomlett said: "We would have been paying for a player until the end of the season and the money Mansfield were asking was far too high, not just for us but for all other clubs because he didn't leave. Danny loved being at Walsall and Ben and I fought tooth and nail to keep him, we both had one-on-ones with him and there was no doubt where he wanted to be. Deadline day was a pressure cooker to try and keep him and negotiate with Mansfield and I never want to go through that again. But we resisted temptation to go beyond what was reasonable and whilst I agree he could have made a significant difference in terms of goal scoring, we weren't going to bust our budget for him."

Chief executive Stefan Gamble said keeping loan players was always a difficult balancing act. He said: "I think all clubs depend on loan deals to an extent and we have done well out of it this season with Danny Johnson and Liam Bennett for two but there are always two parties in a negotiation. DJ leaving here was the last thing he wanted to do. We thought we were going to be able to get a deal done. We had to be realistic and have a plan B for if it didn't happen. We were able to bring in Matty (Stevens) on deadline day and that deal was going on during the Salford game. He and Jamille Matt scored nearly 50 goals between them at this level last season and through injury and getting back to match fitness we have yet to see what they can really do but we will.

"Liam (Bennett) leaving was unavoidable as Cambridge wanted him back. He probably played his best football here and was outstanding but that doesn't help when you are trying to keep the player."

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/fo ... y-johnson/
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby wink68 » Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:55 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:From Walsall Express:

"Supporters at a Fans Focus meeting at Bescot Stadium were told the club had resisted the temptation to go beyond what was reasonable to keep the 15-goal striker who was recalled by parent club Mansfield Town. Co chairman Leigh Pomlett said he and Benjamin Boycott had worked 'tirelessly' to negotiate with the East Midlands club until finally giving up halfway through the Salford away game on January 31 when it was clear they were going to have to pay a lot more than their ownj valuation.

Pomlett said: "We would have been paying for a player until the end of the season and the money Mansfield were asking was far too high, not just for us but for all other clubs because he didn't leave. Danny loved being at Walsall and Ben and I fought tooth and nail to keep him, we both had one-on-ones with him and there was no doubt where he wanted to be. Deadline day was a pressure cooker to try and keep him and negotiate with Mansfield and I never want to go through that again. But we resisted temptation to go beyond what was reasonable and whilst I agree he could have made a significant difference in terms of goal scoring, we weren't going to bust our budget for him."

Chief executive Stefan Gamble said keeping loan players was always a difficult balancing act. He said: "I think all clubs depend on loan deals to an extent and we have done well out of it this season with Danny Johnson and Liam Bennett for two but there are always two parties in a negotiation. DJ leaving here was the last thing he wanted to do. We thought we were going to be able to get a deal done. We had to be realistic and have a plan B for if it didn't happen. We were able to bring in Matty (Stevens) on deadline day and that deal was going on during the Salford game. He and Jamille Matt scored nearly 50 goals between them at this level last season and through injury and getting back to match fitness we have yet to see what they can really do but we will.

"Liam (Bennett) leaving was unavoidable as Cambridge wanted him back. He probably played his best football here and was outstanding but that doesn't help when you are trying to keep the player."

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/fo ... y-johnson/

Wanted to be at Walsall that much he would only sign for 5 months.
wink68
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:23 am

Exactly that
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby bigalstag1 » Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:41 am

Always nice to see history being rewritten.
bigalstag1
First Team
First Team

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:43 am

They are hardly likely to have said anything different to their supporters.

It’s their loss as they now have no chance of promotion this year and I’m sure it has reduced our pressure as they aren’t breathing down our neck.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:24 pm

I'm pretty sure DJ has a deal lined up with another club for next season. He will be looking for a nice juicy signing on fee as well as there will be no transfer fee being paid by his new club.

Corey O'Keefe only signed a 6 month deal at Rochdale and then signed for FGR in League 1.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:34 pm

"and the money Mansfield were asking was far too high, not just for us but for all other clubs because he didn't leave."

This is not correct because other clubs were prepared to pay what the Stags wanted but DJ did not want to join those clubs. Gillingham was mentioned on twitter as being one of them.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby HitchcocksShins » Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:14 pm

O'Keefe, goes from potentially relegating a team from League Two, to potentially relegating a team from League One :lol: what a guy
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:31 pm

Reding between the lines and other reports at the time, it is likely the following things happened.

1. we had a valuation, Walsall wanted to pay less. We let his loan expire.
2. Other clubs, Gillingham (as said above) and Colchester (I remember their name being mentioned around that time, could be about something else though), were interested and tabled bids. DJ refused to join them, presumably because they are in a relegation battle.
3. Walsall struggled for goals and came back with a higher offer but we said no because Gills/Colchester offered an acceptable bid.

It was incorrect that nobody else wanted to pay what he was valued at.

Another lie in there too, They say we recalled him. His loan expired, he played for them on the 14th Jan and his loan expired on 15th Jan. recall is when a club ends the loan early. His expired so he returned.

They could have said the truth. Mansfield received a higher offer for Danny which Danny rejected for us because he wants to stay with us where he's scoring regularly. Mansfield want the money 2 other clubs were willing to pay. We didn't want to pay that for a 6 months contract Danny wanted. We therefore didn't sign Danny Johnson.

Instead of " :cry: :cry: :cry: Those Mansfield town meanies refused a lower offer than 2 other clubs were willing to pay, despite us whining about it in the press and stomping our feet really really loudly. :cry:"
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:47 pm

#FreeDannyJohnson
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:02 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:#FreeDannyJohnson
I think that's what Walsall were hoping for......... a free Danny Johnson. :D
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:24 pm

gazza1988 wrote:Reding between the lines and other reports at the time, it is likely the following things happened.

2. Other clubs, Gillingham (as said above) and Colchester (I remember their name being mentioned around that time, could be about something else though), were interested and tabled bids. DJ refused to join them, presumably because they are in a relegation battle.
3. Walsall struggled for goals and came back with a higher offer but we said no because Gills/Colchester offered an acceptable bid.

Another lie in there too, They say we recalled him. His loan expired, he played for them on the 14th Jan and his loan expired on 15th Jan. recall is when a club ends the loan early. His expired so he returned.

They could have said the truth. Mansfield received a higher offer for Danny which Danny rejected for us because he wants to stay with us where he's scoring regularly. Mansfield want the money 2 other clubs were willing to pay. We didn't want to pay that for a 6 months contract Danny wanted. We therefore didn't sign Danny Johnson.

Instead of " :cry: :cry: :cry: Those Mansfield town meanies refused a lower offer than 2 other clubs were willing to pay, despite us whining about it in the press and stomping our feet really really loudly. :cry:"

It was stated by one of the clubs that DJ had said to them that he didn't want to sign anywhere for longer than the rest of the season, that's basically the start, middle and end of the story. We wanted a fee for someone who would only sign for 5 months, and no-one was prepared to pay a fee for that. If Walsall had wanted DJ as much as they said they did, then they'd have paid the fee, and if DJ wanted to be at Walsall as much as he said he did then he'd have signed for longer. That's it.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:39 pm

The problem is, we've also suffered because we have a player who's garbage. We'd have been much better off letting him go for a bag of wurthers and bringing in someone who wants to play for us and maybe in a position we need, like wingback.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:58 pm

Rob wrote:The problem is, we've also suffered because we have a player who's garbage. We'd have been much better off letting him go for a bag of wurthers and bringing in someone who wants to play for us and maybe in a position we need, like wingback.

Maybe ineffective is a better description when playing for us. He certainly wasn't garbage for Walsall or Leyton Orient.

Maybe we didn't sell him for a bag of wurthers, because there was a slim chance he would continue his Walsall form with us.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:31 pm

Marky Mark wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:Reding between the lines and other reports at the time, it is likely the following things happened.

It was stated by one of the clubs that DJ had said to them that he didn't want to sign anywhere for longer than the rest of the season, that's basically the start, middle and end of the story. We wanted a fee for someone who would only sign for 5 months, and no-one was prepared to pay a fee for that. If Walsall had wanted DJ as much as they said they did, then they'd have paid the fee, and if DJ wanted to be at Walsall as much as he said he did then he'd have signed for longer. That's it.

He wanted to stay at Walsall, but only because he was getting opportunities and scoring goals. Even their Co-chairman said he'd only sign for them until the end of the season.

He's wanting to play at a higher level. He's happy to be here because we are in the promotion hunt. He wants to be in league 1 next season. He sees his big chance coming when he's unattached to a club. He's turns 31 next season so this is his last chance to play league 1 football.

That's what I think this is all about. He will stay here or go to Walsall. We were most likely to be promoted out the 2, he was most likely to score goals there. Either way it looks good on your cv. 16 goals in all comps (over 36 appearances) over a season so far, plus he can point out he's barely got a chance here and he got a good goal return before joining us with orient.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:15 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
Rob wrote:The problem is, we've also suffered because we have a player who's garbage. We'd have been much better off letting him go for a bag of wurthers and bringing in someone who wants to play for us and maybe in a position we need, like wingback.

Maybe ineffective is a better description when playing for us. He certainly wasn't garbage for Walsall or Leyton Orient.

Maybe we didn't sell him for a bag of wurthers, because there was a slim chance he would continue his Walsall form with us.

I don't give a toss how he played for other clubs, for us he's been utter garbage, 5 goals in 29 games barely breaking sweat. Will Swan, non-stop working his absolute ass off, 9 goals in 23 games.

As for continuing his Walsall form with us, that's just not true, Clough was never going to pick him and its only chronic injuries that have given him a chance, one which he has done the opposite of grasping.

Thankfully he'll be gone in the summer, he's in my Stags biggest waster 11 :D
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:38 pm

Blimey, I agree with Rob!
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:06 pm

Richard Cranium wrote:Blimey, I agree with Rob!

raspberrys, I must be wrong.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:21 am

You normally are
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby MansfieldMick » Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:41 am

Rob wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

I don't give a toss how he played for other clubs, for us he's been utter garbage, 5 goals in 29 games barely breaking sweat. Will Swan, non-stop working his absolute ass off, 9 goals in 23 games.

As for continuing his Walsall form with us, that's just not true, Clough was never going to pick him and its only chronic injuries that have given him a chance, one which he has done the opposite of grasping.

Thankfully he'll be gone in the summer, he's in my Stags biggest waster 11 :D

I would add Boateng to that list, biggest disappointment for years IMHO
MansfieldMick
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bear 73 » Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:36 pm

What a day i agree with Rob.
Johnson has no future with this club and staying injury free is a priority for him
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby stagone1959 » Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:32 pm

Richard Cranium wrote:You normally are

Calvin Andrew what a tommy tanker.
There is some serious competition for an all time gash 11,don't think Danny Johnson gets in,maybe on bench.He's used to that.
stagone1959
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum