{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Danny Johnson

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Danny Johnson

Postby Rob » Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:57 am

Sedgwick wrote:"Johnson (for McLaughlin, 45 mins) 7.5 Went close a couple of times, as the keeper saved his chip and then he fired into the side netting. Did well."

7.5 for that... wow. He was garbage, off the pace and really struggled against an awful side. Both those efforts were weak, How can you even try and spin that as "did well" :lol:

not remotely the player we thought he would be and we'll be fine without him

I agree, he failed to take his chance and was a huge disappointment, in fact the exact opposite of Oates. Good luck to him wherever he ends up, but let's hope for both parties sake he gets a move soon.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:00 am

Orient fans weren't bothered when he left saying he never recovered from his injury. They were much more displeased at the exit of Conor Wilkinson to Walsall last season.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:30 am

I think he's just a victim of a change in circumstances going off around him - if you look at the first few matches of last season he was up front with Hawkins, with Oates just behind and I think that's what Hawkins and Johnson were signed to be: a big target man and a goal poacher running off him. Then he lost a bit of form, was on the bench and then we had the whole injury and suspension problems in the bad run, and the team ended up having to look and play differently without him with Hawkins at the back and Oates running the channels up front, then he got injured when the side were breaking records. In amidst all of this Oates' played himself into being a more out and out striker, when it felt like he was signed to rival Lapslie for the role of just behind the strikers (I think I remember NC mentioning something about Oates rivalling Lapslie and the surprise when Oates started in place of Lapslie v's Bristol Rovers).

The other thing about Danny is that he's a goal poacher, and those types of players tend to have runs of scoring when they're always in the right place at the right time, and runs of not scoring when they're just off it and it looks awful. It's never felt like he's had a long enough run in the side to get a rhythm going, but it's neither his fault nor the teams - the team just doesn't play to his style anymore. Good luck to him.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:13 pm

Its very strange clubs dont want a 20 goal striker did Clough say i club showing interest.
I thought Johnson and Hawkins would be gone by now.
I dont believe Johnson learned their is no I in team, Clough does not hold grudges.
Hawkins is a different kettle of fish, gave his all last season and played for the team.
A few hick-upps along the way, then a almighty meltdown at Wembley of all places.
On the face of it he has been forgiven, and welcomed back into the fold, it was his phone that the music came from.
Will Johnson be invilved against Sheff Utd he needs game time,
A nice game of poker going on
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:39 pm

bear 73 wrote:Its very strange clubs dont want a 20 goal striker did Clough say i club showing interest.
I dont believe Johnson learned their is no I in team, Clough does not hold grudges.
Hawkins is a different kettle of fish, gave his all last season and played for the team.
A few hick-upps along the way, then a almighty meltdown at Wembley of all places.
On the face of it he has been forgiven, and welcomed back into the fold, it was his phone that the music came from.

:?
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:44 pm

Glad u quoted him on this one Dan as I don't have the displeasure of seeing his ludicrous posts due to the foe option....

Clough doesn't hold grudges..... chortle

Hawkins would be gone by now......guffaw

Utter tosh.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:22 pm

Dan wrote:
bear 73 wrote:Its very strange clubs dont want a 20 goal striker did Clough say i club showing interest.

:?

What rubbish, give yourself a shake.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:33 pm

I have to say DJ is a great footballer who score goals. That’s what we wanted when we signed him and then changes our style.

Can we please stop abusing him. If he moves on good luck.
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:29 pm

yorkstag wrote:I have to say DJ is a great footballer who score goals. That’s what we wanted when we signed him and then changes our style.

Can we please stop abusing him. If he moves on good luck.

I don't see anyone abusing him. (might have missed it)

I see one or two trying to peddle a falling out or something kicking off behind the scenes.

I can imagine Danny isn't best pleased with how things have gone for him here, but he won't be the only one. We signed him expecting goals and for whatever reason we didn't get them.

Chalk this one down to some transfers work, some don't. He's certainly not become a poor player overnight and I'm sure all of us will wish him well wherever he goes as long at it's not at the expense of our success.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:33 pm

Good point Broomo - over reacted to the comment 'impersonated a a footballer'.

I actually think he would score goals if played
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:47 pm

Bear he was a 20 goal striker two seasons ago and we are probably trying to recoup the high wages he’s been on , if I’m right he had plenty of offers before joining us . It hasn’t worked so we either pay him another year and play him or we offload if anyone is prepared to pay him the money he will be on now and that’s the sticking point .
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:13 pm

umm was hoping DJ would have gone by now, can’t see us getting another striker in till he goes
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby zod » Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:21 am

yorkshire stag wrote:umm was hoping DJ would have gone by now, can’t see us getting another striker in till he goes

I don’t think he’s going anywhere yet.
Otherwise, he wouldn’t have played last night.
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:26 am

zod wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:umm was hoping DJ would have gone by now, can’t see us getting another striker in till he goes

I think last night was just getting whoever out there with how hot it was and let Johnson get some minutes in. Be weird if Clough did a U turn on him now
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:42 am

Not skating or abusing Johnson but very happy if we offload him.
Since his injury, I know he hasn't had a run in the team but he showed nothing to indicate he was ready to come back and score a hatful.
These things happen, move him on and sign someone else
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:40 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:
zod wrote:

I think last night was just getting whoever out there with how hot it was and let Johnson get some minutes in. Be weird if Clough did a U turn on him now

From Cloughs interview last night: they were planning to give each player a maximum of 60 minutes each but in 3 lots of 30 minutes - they’d worked it all out before the game but then Swan reported in injured so NC said that they had to replace him with DJ - he said they didn’t want to do it because another club is very interested and were worried about injuries, but that he came through ok.
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:42 am

Marky Mark wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
zod wrote:

From Cloughs interview last night: they were planning to give each player a maximum of 60 minutes each but in 3 lots of 30 minutes - they’d worked it all out before the game but then Swan reported in injured so NC said that they had to replace him with DJ - he said they didn’t want to do it because another club is very interested and were worried about injuries, but that he came through ok.

As I thought! Hope we get him shifted soon and get a replacement in
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:10 am

Walsall fans think they are interested. Danny Johnson played with Conor Wilkinson at Orient.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tim Tagg » Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:42 am

Just hear say while waiting for tkts apparently johnson is all set for crawley, he played for them in a friendly other day is what was said and this was someone fm the club !
Don't shoot the msnger
Tim Tagg
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Stag95 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:13 am

Walsall fans posting compilations of him on Twitter now. I still think we’re holding out for a decent fee and played him last night to make them play their hand.
Stag95
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:32 am

Stag95 wrote:

Walsall fans posting compilations of him on Twitter now. I still think we’re holding out for a decent fee and played him last night to make them play their hand.

NC explained exactly why he played him last night, and couldn't have been more clear about wanting him to move on in the interview. I dont think playing him had any other reason.
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:43 am

Stevo: "Any news on the elusive striker?"
NC: "We've had a few bids rejected in the last couple of weeks, there's a possibility of one on loan, so we've got a few plates spinning as the saying goes at the moment, but it might well be dependent on something happening with Danny Johnson which we're not too far away with"
Stevo: "He's still likely to go out is he, as he played some part tonight?"
NC: " Yeah, we were short of bodies tonight, ideally we didnt want to risk him get injured but it wasn't that sort of game, so it was good for him to get 45 minutes under his belt as well. Danny has never been a problem honestly since Day 1 when he came in, it's just in a football sense it's just not quite worked out"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:05 pm

Doesn’t look like he’s going to Walsall. They’ve not heard anything back from him though deal between clubs agreed
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:28 pm

yellowstagsfan wrote:Doesn’t look like he’s going to Walsall. They’ve not heard anything back from him though deal between clubs agreed

where's it say that?
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:10 pm

Tim Tagg wrote:Just hear say while waiting for tkts apparently johnson is all set for crawley, he played for them in a friendly other day is what was said and this was someone fm the club !
Don't shoot the msnger

A Trialist did score a hatrick for Crawley recently in a friendly.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum