{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Danny Johnson

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Danny Johnson

Postby Billy the fish » Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:42 pm

bear 73 wrote:johnson taking some shifting he likes it here, staying fit on full wages and sranding bye when called upon.
He his fighting for his place, Like Stech did
Clough has expierience in paying players to leave

I hope not Bear I believe we actually paid a fee for him then to pay him off would be bad business from an experienced manager indeed .
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:10 pm

Billy the fish wrote:
bear 73 wrote:johnson taking some shifting he likes it here, staying fit on full wages and sranding bye when called upon.
He his fighting for his place, Like Stech did
Clough has expierience in paying players to leave

I hope not Bear I believe we actually paid a fee for him then to pay him off would be bad business from an experienced manager indeed .

be interesting to see who blinks first here DJ or Cloughie
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Speccy » Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:28 pm

Well if he is fighting for his place then he’s exactly the type of player you’d want at the club.
Speccy
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby lifestags » Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:41 pm

We didn’t pay for Johnson, he was out of contract…. I think.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Johnny H » Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:50 pm

Speccy wrote:Well if he is fighting for his place then he’s exactly the type of player you’d want at the club.

100% this....
DJ started as first choice and scored a few goals early on.
He then got injured and once fit scored a hat trick against NUFC U23's....he was superb in front of goal that night and if memory serves me right he linked up play quite well too.

He unfortunately got injured again when scoring his third goal and never really got a chance after that......he has 20-30 mins at times but it was obvious that NC didnt rate him and NC's first team X1's became strange at times.

I would be more than happy for DJ to be our back up striker......he needs to play in a front 2 and it scares me that NC will leave Oates / Akins up top alone and isolated in some games.....352 is the way forward for me, even 442 in a diamond.......but not 541 or 451 as our defence isnt good enough and we dont score lots of goals
Johnny H
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:51 pm

lifestags wrote:We didn’t pay for Johnson, he was out of contract…. I think.

correct
see https://stagsnet.net/news/newsdetails.php?newsid=10126
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Billy the fish » Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:58 pm

Stags’ boss Nigel Clough said: “We needed a goalscorer and that’s where Danny fits the bill.

“We were impressed with the variety of goals he scored last season, with not too many situations and chances created for him. He scored 20 goals last season and I’m hoping that with the way we play, and the number of chances we create for him, he’ll get even more.

Thanks Martin just shows either misjudgement or poorly managed ?
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:13 pm

Billy the fish wrote:Stags’ boss Nigel Clough said: “We needed a goalscorer and that’s where Danny fits the bill.

“We were impressed with the variety of goals he scored last season, with not too many situations and chances created for him. He scored 20 goals last season and I’m hoping that with the way we play, and the number of chances we create for him, he’ll get even more.

Basically somethings kicked off behind the scenes and it’s been covered over.

It’s a shame as he’s got brilliant ability.

I wish him all the best if he moves to a new club.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Speccy » Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:26 pm

Who blinks first, cover ups, fallings out, it’s all very exciting.
Maybe he just got injured and found it hard to get back into the 11?
Speccy
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Stag95 » Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:30 pm

Johnson got injured literally just as our form was turning. Scored a hat trick against Newcastle U23s. If he hadnt had gotten injured then he would have had a decent stretch as a starter. We then went on our best run in history with Bowery and Oates absolutely killing it, these things happen in football - fine margins.
Stag95
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:07 pm

Billy the fish wrote:Stags’ boss Nigel Clough said: “We needed a goalscorer and that’s where Danny fits the bill.

Think the clue is in the comments.

20/21
shots : 61
goals : 17
conversion : 28%
shots per 90mins : 1.64

21/22
shots : 32
goals : 4
conversion : 13%
shots per 90mins : 2.85

Very basic analysis obviously, Clough thought he was getting a lethal marksman but DJ was more like a bloke down the funfair with a gun with a rigged sight.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:09 pm

Stag95 wrote:Johnson got injured literally just as our form was turning. Scored a hat trick against Newcastle U23s. If he hadnt had gotten injured then he would have had a decent stretch as a starter. We then went on our best run in history with Bowery and Oates absolutely killing it, these things happen in football - fine margins.

:lol: or he had a fall out with Clough
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:39 pm

More it's and maybe's than the Tory leader contest promises.

We don't know what, if anything, happened between DJ and Nigel.

My view is he got injured at the wrong time for a long time, bad luck I'd say but just my opinion
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:52 pm

Not seen many good things from him in a stags shirt, sometimes in the right place at the right time but overall poor, I don't get the love in with him at all or the desperate clamour for him to come on and save the day towards the end of last year when he was out of form and coming back from several injuries... at a decent standard hes had one good season in his career.

45 minutes he got against Scunthorpe, the worst side we've seen for a long time and he struggled

The previous year for orient he got 14 goals pretty quickly, got injured and then after Christmas scored 3. (7 in the calendar year once at Mansfield in 2021)

Clearly not the player they thought they were signing since that injury at orient. Personally can only see this pattern continuing.

Wish him all the best but stags can do better.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Opus » Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:53 pm

Whatever has happened is now history.
The tragedy is that Danny is looking for a club, and Nigel looking for a striker.
Could have been a match made in heaven had things worked out differently
Opus
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:04 pm

Sedgwick wrote:Not seen many good things from him in a stags shirt, sometimes in the right place at the right time but overall poor, I don't get the love in with him at all or the desperate clamour for him to come on and save the day towards the end of last year when he was out of form and coming back from several injuries... at a decent standard hes had one good season in his career.

45 minutes he got against Scunthorpe, the worst side we've seen for a long time and he struggled

The previous year for orient he got 14 goals pretty quickly, got injured and then after Christmas scored 3. (7 in the calendar year once at Mansfield in 2021)

Clearly not the player they thought they were signing since that injury at orient. Personally can only see this pattern continuing.

Wish him all the best but stags can do better.

You sure? I remember different. So does Martin's report and ratings for that game.

Johnson (for McLaughlin, 45 mins) 7.5 Went close a couple of times, as the keeper saved his chip and then he fired into the side netting. Did well.

I remember him being very limited in game time. Getting 5 minutes here and there and because he didn't score in those 5 minutes people went on like he'd never score.

Fact remains that for a large chunk of the season he had the best goals to minutes ratio out of all of the forwards. Oates eventually took the 1st spot.

In the games when Oates was injured I don't think any of our players playing as a striker got a goal, at all. Maybe DJ was frustrated about that. You have to realise that one was a winger/wingback carrying a knock and the other a forward who, since scoring vs Colchester on 8th Feb, went on to score 2 more regular league goals. 1 against Rochdale on 22nd March and the other vs FGR on the final day. Wouldn't you be pretty miffed if you were brought in to score goals and the gaffer gave you a few minutes here and there and when the goal getter got injured he carried on with Akins and Bowery?

It's all really rather irrelevant though. I like the look of Swan and whilst I'd be happy enough for DJ to stay, he's got alot more competition this season.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:48 am

None of our strikers scored when Oates was injured but we did score 6 goals in 4 games, 7 if you include Murphy’s at Carlisle which was not given.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:57 am

Quite correct. 6 goals in 4 games. 4 were against Scunthorpe in a 4-0 win. The ither 2 goals were in a 3-2 loss against Sutton utd. The remaining 2 games were both losses and firing blanks.

Again I'd be pretty miffed if i was just getting a few minutes here and there to show my worth.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:01 am

gazza1988 wrote:Quite correct. 6 goals in 4 games. 4 were against Scunthorpe in a 4-0 win. The ither 2 goals were in a 3-2 loss against Sutton utd. The remaining 2 games were both losses and firing blanks.

Again I'd be pretty miffed if i was just getting a few minutes here and there to show my worth.

Johnson got minutes in all four of those games, including a half against Scunthorpe and half an hour against Forest Green. The stats show he had more shots per minute than he did whilst at Orient the previous season. More chances with half the conversion rate of the previous season. He wasn’t the player Clough thought he was getting.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:15 am

22 league appearances. 11 of those were coming on for less than 30 minutes of regular time. I'd argue that he wasn't given much opportunity to show his worth. Considering match fitness. He needed more than 10 minute cameos.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Stagspur » Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:19 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:Quite correct. 6 goals in 4 games. 4 were against Scunthorpe in a 4-0 win. The ither 2 goals were in a 3-2 loss against Sutton utd. The remaining 2 games were both losses and firing blanks.

Johnson got minutes in all four of those games, including a half against Scunthorpe and half an hour against Forest Green. The stats show he had more shots per minute than he did whilst at Orient the previous season. More chances with half the conversion rate of the previous season. He wasn’t the player Clough thought he was getting.

I'd think that Johnsons stats stack up well in comparison to the likes of Bowery Akins .
Johnson was trying to impress NC and force his way into the side , prove himself , a quality I admire, maybe a reason why having so many attempts?
And actually Oats Johnson would be a good partnership given the chance to flourish
Stagspur
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:23 am

We’ll never know because he’s highly unlikely to get another chance to prove himself here. I can’t say I’ll miss him very much if he does go from what I saw of him here.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:25 am

Stagspur wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

I'd think that Johnsons stats stack up well in comparison to the likes of Bowery Akins .
Johnson was trying to impress NC and force his way into the side , prove himself , a quality I admire, maybe a reason why having so many attempts?
And actually Oats Johnson would be a good partnership given the chance to flourish

Stats in front of goal perhaps stack up well as against Bowery and Akins, but how many defensive headers does Johnson win from opposing corner kicks.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:57 am

What has defensive headers got to do with it? I'd rather we just got defenders in that can do it.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:10 am

"Johnson (for McLaughlin, 45 mins) 7.5 Went close a couple of times, as the keeper saved his chip and then he fired into the side netting. Did well."

7.5 for that... wow. He was garbage, off the pace and really struggled against an awful side. Both those efforts were weak, How can you even try and spin that as "did well" :lol:

not remotely the player we thought he would be and we'll be fine without him
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum