{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Danny Johnson

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Danny Johnson

Postby Dan » Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:13 pm

zod wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:
Rob wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
five to three wrote:You could argue that DJ is starting to need more time on the pitch. Clear message here .

We need to get Akins Oates and DKD in the team up front imo. They were great yesterday and linked up well. Johnson is only gonna be used if there's a forced sub through injury or if we need a goal in the last 15 minutes

Yes those three looked very good. Johnson won't even get in the squad when players come back, he adds absolutely nothing.

DJ hasn’t impressed me in any game he’s played in. Doesn’t suit us at all.

I don't get what he was doing differently at Walsall.

Scoring goals!
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:13 pm

If DJ had been afforded the same amount of game time as Akins then I'm sure he would have adjusted to our game plan and certainly bagged more goals for sure.

I get the impression it's something personal between Clough & Johnson, no matter how much PR they do to try and put a different spin on it.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:41 pm

pemill wrote:If DJ had been afforded the same amount of game time as Akins then I'm sure he would have adjusted to our game plan and certainly bagged more goals for sure.

I get the impression it's something personal between Clough & Johnson, no matter how much PR they do to try and put a different spin on it.

Maybe. Also worth noting, Akins has been playing in a few different positions, whereas DJ can’t really. Some players just suit some teams and not others!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:57 pm

pemill wrote:If DJ had been afforded the same amount of game time as Akins then I'm sure he would have adjusted to our game plan and certainly bagged more goals for sure.

I would argue that there has not been any evidence from his play to back that up. It seems an argument based on hope rather than experience of his matches since he joined
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:24 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:

Maybe. Also worth noting, Akins has been playing in a few different positions, whereas DJ can’t really. Some players just suit some teams and not others!

Also even when Akins was struggling for form he was putting a shift in.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:05 pm

Sneag wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:

Also even when Akins was struggling for form he was putting a shift in.

He’s impressed recently.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:24 pm

DJ plays a different game to how we play, that's why Clough let him go out on loan in the first place, and would have preferred to sell him - he's only playing because we're about 2 injuries away from putting some of the Under 15's in. Walsall play a game that suits him, we play a different game - Walsall have scored 40 goals all season, we've scored 59, we've had the 2nd most shots in the league, I'm going to go with our game and not Walsalls. He's been training with the first team for the best part of 3 months, the same length of time as Keillor Dunn who has popped 5 in and assisted 3, so he's had plenty of time to adjust if he was that type of player but he simply doesn't play the same game as we play - his strengths are in a team like Walsall, not in a team like ours. It doesn't make him a bad player, us a bad team or Clough a bad manager. I don't want to say that it's not rocket science, but it's not rocket science.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:30 am

Marky Mark wrote:

DJ plays a different game to how we play, that's why Clough let him go out on loan in the first place, and would have preferred to sell him - he's only playing because we're about 2 injuries away from putting some of the Under 15's in. Walsall play a game that suits him, we play a different game - Walsall have scored 40 goals all season, we've scored 59, we've had the 2nd most shots in the league, I'm going to go with our game and not Walsalls. He's been training with the first team for the best part of 3 months, the same length of time as Keillor Dunn who has popped 5 in and assisted 3, so he's had plenty of time to adjust if he was that type of player but he simply doesn't play the same game as we play - his strengths are in a team like Walsall, not in a team like ours. It doesn't make him a bad player, us a bad team or Clough a bad manager. I don't want to say that it's not rocket science, but it's not rocket science.

I get all that Mark but my comment is , then why sign DJ in the first place if he's obviously so different to what NC wants from his players, and especially forwards? Did we just "do a Chelsea" and sign him because he was available or who made the decision that he was right for us and then, oooops, he wasn't?? Someone's judgement was wrong.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:48 am

In my opinion Clough underestimated league 2. He thought it was still the classic target man and poacher combo was needed for promotion. That's why he signed Hawkins too. Clough had never managed in league 2 before he joined us. It's been either championship/league 1 or non-league. He left Burton 13 points clear at the top of the conference in January of the 08/09 season. Took over a side closer to the conference than league 1.

I'm of the opinion that had we not required Hawkins to play at the back we would have played DJ more and got better returns. Him and Hawks would have been plan B (or plan A against certain opposition) but it wasn't to be.

DJ would suit a counter attacking side or a direct side. We favour a pressing side. But there are times we've gone direct and/or counter attacked.

There are times where he's come on and we've settled for a point and tried to nick one on the counter. Issue is we've swapped to that with 10-15 minutes to go. Our tired and already "thin on numbers" defence can't always get the ball out to counter. It's unfortunate but happens.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:57 am

Chrisuknottm wrote:
Marky Mark wrote:

I get all that Mark but my comment is , then why sign DJ in the first place if he's obviously so different to what NC wants from his players, and especially forwards? Did we just "do a Chelsea" and sign him because he was available or who made the decision that he was right for us and then, oooops, he wasn't?? Someone's judgement was wrong.

Go through his permanent signings and judge whether they are a good fit and have gone into regular first team selections and then judge whether Johnson is an outlier or if this is a significant mistake which indicates a problem.
I would fear someone judging me in my work on one decision over two years without judging it against all of the others.
Last edited by georgefostersbeard on Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:04 am

Marky Mark wrote:

If he does not fit here who scouted him and signed him?
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:21 am

DJ was brought in to play off Hawkins with Oates or Lapslie behind, that’s how we started in his first game v Bristol Rovers and a couple after that. I can’t remember the exact chain of events but we started getting injuries, both DJ and in defence, so Clough moved Hawkins to defence and Oates further up front meaning we didn’t play with an out and out target man that DJs game suits to play off, and it never went back. Things change, the DJ situation obviously did, injuries didn’t help, and the move around meant ultimately that he became surplus to requirements because there were others that were better for the team in his position in a changed style. He would have been long gone, knocking in goals for a team that suits his style of play if Clough had his way. That he’s still here at all for us to debate to death isn’t of Clough’s choosing, I’m sure of that.

Oates wasn’t brought here as an out and out forward, but things have changed and now he is, that’s the other side of change.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:48 am

Oates was initially swapping with Lapslie and was not a big hit at first. Moving him up front and centre, even at the cost of Johnson, seems sensible
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Elkesley Stag » Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:24 pm

Marky Mark wrote:DJ was brought in to play off Hawkins with Oates or Lapslie behind, that’s how we started in his first game v Bristol Rovers and a couple after that. I can’t remember the exact chain of events but we started getting injuries, both DJ and in defence, so Clough moved Hawkins to defence and Oates further up front meaning we didn’t play with an out and out target man that DJs game suits to play off, and it never went back. Things change, the DJ situation obviously did, injuries didn’t help, and the move around meant ultimately that he became surplus to requirements because there were others that were better for the team in his position in a changed style. He would have been long gone, knocking in goals for a team that suits his style of play if Clough had his way. That he’s still here at all for us to debate to death isn’t of Clough’s choosing, I’m sure of that.

Oates wasn’t brought here as an out and out forward, but things have changed and now he is, that’s the other side of change.

the season before Johnson signed he scored the most goals from the fewest chances created . We created loads of chances but scored nowhere near enough . Play him alongside a big target man ( Hawkins ) and in theory its a perfect solution. The options we had were , Oates runs defenders ragged and then Hawkins and Johnson offer something totally different against tired defenders or Hawkins and Johnson pull defenders all over the place before Oates races past shattered defenders .Choose your starting 11 based upon the oppositions weakness and in theory you have two equally good striking options that very seldom play past more than 65 or 70 minutes a game. When Hawkins moved to defence we played the same system , one up front. Oates was far more capable of playing the lone striker role .
Elkesley Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:22 pm

gazza1988 wrote:In my opinion Clough underestimated league 2. He thought it was still the classic target man and poacher combo was needed for promotion. That's why he signed Hawkins too. Clough had never managed in league 2 before he joined us. It's been either championship/league 1 or non-league. He left Burton 13 points clear at the top of the conference in January of the 08/09 season. Took over a side closer to the conference than league 1.

I'm of the opinion that had we not required Hawkins to play at the back we would have played DJ more and got better returns. Him and Hawks would have been plan B (or plan A against certain opposition) but it wasn't to be.

DJ would suit a counter attacking side or a direct side. We favour a pressing side. But there are times we've gone direct and/or counter attacked.

There are times where he's come on and we've settled for a point and tried to nick one on the counter. Issue is we've swapped to that with 10-15 minutes to go. Our tired and already "thin on numbers" defence can't always get the ball out to counter. It's unfortunate but happens.

Tha’s forrit nah.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Costastag » Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:32 pm

His dad signed justin fashanua and that went well everybody gets one wrong now and then look at fergie and gary birtles it happens
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby ST4GS » Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:04 pm

Costastag wrote:His dad signed justin fashanua and that went well everybody gets one wrong now and then look at fergie and gary birtles it happens

Fergie and Birtles? How are they connected?
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:24 pm

ST4GS wrote:
Costastag wrote:His dad signed justin fashanua and that went well everybody gets one wrong now and then look at fergie and gary birtles it happens

I think he meant Neil Webb. ;)
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby CassellsCap » Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:18 pm

All this about Danny Johnson, just lay off the bloke . He’s a human being, a footballer with a short career and things might not of worked out but we have a manager who knows him, players who know and train with him everyday. He is most probably a nice bloke so good luck and all the best ..
CassellsCap
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Costastag » Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:22 am

Dave Wayne wrote:
ST4GS wrote:

I thought fergie signed birtles but looking back im probably wrong there :(
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:02 am

Think it was Ron Atkinson?
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby NEStag » Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:33 am

Dave Sexton signed Garry Birtles.
NEStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Dave Wayne » Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:13 pm

Costastag wrote:
Dave Wayne wrote:
ST4GS wrote:

I thought fergie signed birtles but looking back im probably wrong there :(

Probably ? I don't think it's in doubt. ;)
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum