{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Sheffield Utd, pre-season behind closed doors game, Tues 8pm

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Sheffield Utd, pre-season behind closed doors game, Tues

Postby Speccy » Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:20 pm

Sedgwick wrote:Hawkins did well... hes not half as bad as people make out. Quite good at getting a foot in and making a good tackle.. I think being in a back 3 will help him.

He scares the ship out of me. He’s doesn’t look comfortable playing at the back to me. I thought we’d have addressed our central defense as a priority this time round.
I’m not convinced about Harbottle either although most people seem to be singing his praises.
Not knocking anyone, Hawkins is an asset and Harbottle is young and will obviously need a few games to adjust to his surroundings in league 2.

It’s definitely looking like a ‘both teams to score’ type of season. Again.
Speccy
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:23 pm

Speccy wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:Hawkins did well... hes not half as bad as people make out. Quite good at getting a foot in and making a good tackle.. I think being in a back 3 will help him.

He scares the ship out of me. He’s doesn’t look comfortable playing at the back to me. I thought we’d have addressed our central defense as a priority this time round.
I’m not convinced about Harbottle either although most people seem to be singing his praises.
Not knocking anyone, Hawkins is an asset and Harbottle is young and will obviously need a few games to adjust to his surroundings in league 2.

It’s definitely looking like a ‘both teams to score’ type of season. Again.

I think the defence looked quite good against Rotherham and Sheffield United. It was obvious Hawkins wasn't going to move up front when last season there was opportunity to do so.

Harbottle has looked good so far, although that was one game he looks the part to me.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:28 pm

Hawkins is banned for the first game ain’t he? And they have that 8ft tall striker too.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:30 pm

lifestags wrote:Hawkins is banned for the first game ain’t he? And they have that 8ft tall striker too.

no. I thought he was but it turns out the play-offs are considered a standalone tournament, so he isn't
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby broomo » Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:28 am

Martin Shaw wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:
broomo wrote:Are we getting the full match replay or were the streaming issues so bad there's no point?

The full match replay will be available on iFollow Stags but I don't know when Alex will have loaded it.

The streaming issues were on Sheffield United TV. We didn't attempt to stream it.

Second half is available. Don't know when first half will be on.

Thanks (and to Alex as well).

Watched it in the early hours and while United looked decent in posession, it's tough to judge as they and we clearly weren't full throttle.

We did play some lovely stuff though, no matter who was on the pitch or where. We look good.

Gordon put 3 great balls in and looked fit and strong, if he can be even half way to consistent with his crossing he'll be a real asset.

Boateng just oozes class and it's probably him i'm most excited by this season. I really think he'll dominate and I could see us beating a lot of teams comfortably with the midfield we've got.

To think we were missing one of our biggest outlets in Macca as well. Teams will be blown away by our attacking threat and that's with or without the potential new striker coming in.

Get ready for an entertaining, attacking, goals filled season. It's going to be a belter.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:43 pm

I have been impressed with Gale and Cooper they have not looked out of place, but pre-season friendlys are about fitness and formations and staying injury free.
I feel sorry for Perch Wallace and Hewitt injury will have a impact on their fitness for the new season and they will be playiing catch up.
So far its been a good work out for the lads, and team selection will be harder than last year, but with 5 subs it will suit us.
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby maverick34 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:51 pm

bear 73 wrote:I have been impressed with Gale and Cooper they have not looked out of place, but pre-season friendlys are about fitness and formations and staying injury free.
I feel sorry for Perch Wallace and Hewitt injury will have a impact on their fitness for the new season and they will be playing catch up.
So far its been a good work out for the lads, and team selection will be harder than last year, but with 5 subs it will suit us.

And hopefully when back to fitness, the 5 sub rule will help ease the reintroduction of those injured by being able to gradually increase their match minutes over a number of games. In turn this should hopefully prevent said injuries reoccurring.
maverick34
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby tillydog123 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:54 pm

I don’t know much about players and football strategy but not sure why Gale will go out on loan
Should he not start a game in League 2 ??
Anybody advise me Iam confused ??
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:04 pm

Gale's best option is to try a loan at a top end NL team till Jan. If he smashes 10-12 at that level then :mexicanwave:
If he struggles to make any impact then we will know
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Stag95 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:09 pm

4 goals in 11 games at NL North level shows he’s ready for a loan to the National League for sure.
Stag95
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:12 pm

broomo wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:
broomo wrote:Are we getting the full match replay or were the streaming issues so bad there's no point?

The full match replay will be available on iFollow Stags but I don't know when Alex will have loaded it.

The streaming issues were on Sheffield United TV. We didn't attempt to stream it.

Second half is available. Don't know when first half will be on.

Thanks (and to Alex as well).

Watched it in the early hours and while United looked decent in posession, it's tough to judge as they and we clearly weren't full throttle.

We did play some lovely stuff though, no matter who was on the pitch or where. We look good.

Gordon put 3 great balls in and looked fit and strong, if he can be even half way to consistent with his crossing he'll be a real asset.

Boateng just oozes class and it's probably him i'm most excited by this season. I really think he'll dominate and I could see us beating a lot of teams comfortably with the midfield we've got.

To think we were missing one of our biggest outlets in Macca as well. Teams will be blown away by our attacking threat and that's with or without the potential new striker coming in.

Get ready for an entertaining, attacking, goals filled season. It's going to be a belter.

Different from the rest...
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:12 pm

With us having 5 subs I'd hope Gale would be involved in the first team. Name 18 players on your matchday squad and you can use 16 of them. That's nigh on our first team every game.

I'd rather we keep him here and see how many minutes he gets. National league can loan in at any point (unless they have transfer windows again?) so if by mid October we can evaluate. We might find a team with a striker injury crisis who would be willing to play him.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:59 pm

He’s good. If he has 8 good games out of 10, for a league two player it ain’t half bad. Yes he gets turned easily by the quick and nimble players at times, but who doesn’t at any level. In the majority of games last season he played well, he just screwed up in the PO final. I’d rather he was a Stag than face him, and I bet other clubs would have him in a heartbeat!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:55 pm

Seeing County v Forest being played in front of fans tonight makes Notts plod's insistance that this game was played behind closed doors all the more galling.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:08 pm

Sold 11,000 so far.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:24 pm

Sneag wrote:Seeing County v Forest being played in front of fans tonight makes Notts plod's insistance that this game was played behind closed doors all the more galling.
Smacks of double standards. Maybe they could explain the difference !
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:33 pm

Probably shouldn't wish this but hope it kicks off after the game and makes the plod look even dafter.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:37 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:Probably shouldn't wish this but hope it kicks off after the game and makes the plod look even dafter.

It’s definitely going to kick off.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:49 pm

Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:07 am

Dan wrote:

absolute joke this, same force but allow both Notts teams to play each other
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:14 am

yorkshire stag wrote:
Dan wrote:

absolute joke this, same force but allow both Notts teams to play each other

I suspect we could have played if we had paid the police bill. However Meadow Lane is covered by a different SAG group. Ours involves Nottinghamshire County Council led by Ben, whereas Meadow Lane involves Nottingham City Council.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:23 am

14k at Meadow Lane yet we had to play behind closed doors.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:02 am

Videos of fans fighting stewards too.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Stag95 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:09 am

How did they think this would be okay and Sheff United not be? Notts plod are beyond awful.
Stag95
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:18 am

What was Notts County Councils role too? They are on the SAG and they would have been part of the advice to the Stags, I wonder what they said to the club? I'm guessing we'll never know.
Rob
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum