{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Sheffield Utd, pre-season behind closed doors game, Tues 8pm

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Sheffield Utd, pre-season behind closed doors game, Tues

Postby Spiritater » Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:27 am

Dark times for Mansfield ahead with the police force we have.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:06 pm

With SAG being a function of a local authority then the discussions, decisions and reasons behind any decision they make should come under the Freedom Of Information act. I've made a FOI request to Nottinghamshire County Council for any SAG minutes involving the club in the last 24 months. They have 20 days to respond. I'll update when/if I get a reply.

The link to the request is here if anyone wants to keep an eye on it

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... ng-1329984
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:14 pm

One would hooe that the fact that the leader of the County Council and recipient of donations and free tickets from the club owners as the local MP might intervene
Last edited by georgefostersbeard on Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Old timer » Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:16 pm

This cost us money with the Sheff Utd game being played behind closed doors. There appears to be a bias in deciding what is happening in these local games. It's time for our local MP to step up and answer the question as to why we appear to be treated differently. He seems happy to have himself pictured with our ex PM with a Stags shirt. He should put some effort into actually putting himself forward as a representative for the club. He should remember that he is in a marginal seat. Other than that the club should put in a FOI Freedom Of Information request to see what is actually being said behind the scenes. If there is a logic behind these decisions then we need to see it in writing because we are currently baffled by it all. Why are the plod and SAG so against us and what is their rationality?

I have written to Bradley before about a complaint I had about something unrelated. He wrote to completely the wrong people to get a response and for me it summed him up. I had hoped for better. I feel that he's more interested in getting sound bites and pictures for himself on national and local radio than actually addressing real local issues.

Just noticed your post Marky Mark as I was typing.
Last edited by Old timer on Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:11 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Old timer
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Rob » Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:17 pm

Marky Mark wrote:With SAG being a function of a local authority then the discussions, decisions and reasons behind any decision they make should come under the Freedom Of Information act. I've made a FOI request to Nottinghamshire County Council for any SAG minutes involving the club in the last 24 months. They have 20 days to respond. I'll update when/if I get a reply.

Isn't our local MP, Two-Jobs Bradley, also the head of Notts County Council? It'll be interesting to see the response. Of course, if the Council were implicit in the decision to "request" the game be played behind closed doors then our towns own MP has played his part.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:34 pm

Might be worth someone writing to Bradley too, to see what his view of it is, ultimately some of his constituents are going to be impacted if they start bringing games forwards to 12pm. I'm fortunately not a constituent so he wouldn't have to reply to me.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:55 pm

Rob wrote:
Marky Mark wrote:With SAG being a function of a local authority then the discussions, decisions and reasons behind any decision they make should come under the Freedom Of Information act. I've made a FOI request to Nottinghamshire County Council for any SAG minutes involving the club in the last 24 months. They have 20 days to respond. I'll update when/if I get a reply.

Isn't our local MP, Two-Jobs Bradley, also the head of Notts County Council? It'll be interesting to see the response. Of course, if the Council were implicit in the decision to "request" the game be played behind closed doors then our towns own MP has played his part.

typical Tories, i’m sure come re-election time he will dust off his home shirt for his new true blue mates to vote him back in
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Johnny H » Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:18 pm

I no longer have any involvement with Policing football matches within Notts......5th season coming up !!

But I can guarantee that Notts Police did not tell MTFC they had to play behind closed doors....they have no authority to do that.

What I imagine happened was that NP told MTFC that the game would have to be a Policed fixture (The disorder last time v SUFC shows this and the potential repercussions).
MTFC then decided they wouldn't pay, so had no fans in to watch a game that would have potentially only had 3-4k in too watch.....

NCFC would happily have swallowed the Policing bill for last night as they knew they would get 12-15k
Johnny H
Manager
Manager

Postby Stag95 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:58 pm

Well if that’s the case they must have put forward an absolute ridiculous amount of policing for us to not be able to make money on 40k gate receipts.
Stag95
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:32 pm

Stag95 wrote:Well if that’s the case they must have put forward an absolute ridiculous amount of policing for us to not be able to make money on 40k gate receipts.
Yes it must have been.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby PaulG » Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:40 pm

If that turns out to be the case, there will be those on here regretting their waspish comments about our MP!
PaulG
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Sneag » Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:00 pm

PaulG wrote:If that turns out to be the case, there will be those on here regretting their waspish comments about our MP!

Nah, he's a strawberry regardless.

Sorry Martin, he's given me an open goal there. :lol:
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:08 pm

I doubt policing inside the ground would be that expensive. Total season costs for all 4 divisions in 19/20 was £8m. That's very roughly 4k per game. Clearly most of this was in the Prem/Champ.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foo ... 83893.html
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:04 pm

Using basic figures let’s say the coppers were on £30 an hour (generous knowing what the base pay is) - substantially less that the average wage.

Say there were 50 of them for example - say they worked 5 hours - that still comes in at £7,300 odd

The argument to say mansfield agreed to it looks clearly inaccurate, and in fairness rather basic.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:16 pm

Johnny H wrote:I no longer have any involvement with Policing football matches within Notts......5th season coming up !!

But I can guarantee that Notts Police did not tell MTFC they had to play behind closed doors....they have no authority to do that.

What I imagine happened was that NP told MTFC that the game would have to be a Policed fixture (The disorder last time v SUFC shows this and the potential repercussions).
MTFC then decided they wouldn't pay, so had no fans in to watch a game that would have potentially only had 3-4k in too watch.....

NCFC would happily have swallowed the Policing bill for last night as they knew they would get 12-15k

So basically they forced the clubs hand to play behind closed doors then...
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby bmthstag » Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:05 am

adamstag wrote:Using basic figures let’s say the coppers were on £30 an hour (generous knowing what the base pay is) - substantially less that the average wage.

Say there were 50 of them for example - say they worked 5 hours - that still comes in at £7,300 odd

The argument to say mansfield agreed to it looks clearly inaccurate, and in fairness rather basic.

I suspect the charge would be way more than £30 per hour… they’d factor in a share of all the overheads, additional charges for bringing people in off their rest days/holidays etc.
bmthstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby I am Spartacus » Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:39 am

Johnny H wrote:I no longer have any involvement with Policing football matches within Notts......5th season coming up !!

Well said Johnny, this is the reasoning behind it in a nutshell. Police would have informed the club based upon the intelligence at the time. We and Sheffield Utd have history, that given the travel time, is more than likely to be repeated. Why burden the club with the expense of policing the ground, the tax payer with the cost of policing the town and surrounding area for a friendly? A few years ago we had a game against Villa cancelled for the same reason.

The same people on here complaining about a practice game, which for all intents as purposes it is, being played behind closed doors are the same ones that would moan about over policing in the town and wasting taxpayers money if the day was incident free or complaining they had to cower in a shop doorway as the police did nothing whilst the game played on Notts Road was BBC vs MSE.

So you didn’t get to watch a practice game, the club has loads of behind closed doors game all season. Can’t hear you moaning about them (for your information most of them are terrible to watch as I have officiated some).

Enjoy the game Saturday, it’s when proper football starts and then you will, hopefully not this season, have some real substance to your moaning.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Stag95 » Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:47 am

Spot the copper.
Stag95
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:50 am

I am Spartacus wrote:

Well said Johnny, this is the reasoning behind it in a nutshell. Police would have informed the club based upon the intelligence at the time. We and Sheffield Utd have history, that given the travel time, is more than likely to be repeated. Why burden the club with the expense of policing the ground, the tax payer with the cost of policing the town and surrounding area for a friendly? A few years ago we had a game against Villa cancelled for the same reason.

The same people on here complaining about a practice game, which for all intents as purposes it is, being played behind closed doors are the same ones that would moan about over policing in the town and wasting taxpayers money if the day was incident free or complaining they had to cower in a shop doorway as the police did nothing whilst the game played on Notts Road was BBC vs MSE.

So you didn’t get to watch a practice game, the club has loads of behind closed doors game all season. Can’t hear you moaning about them (for your information most of them are terrible to watch as I have officiated some).

Enjoy the game Saturday, it’s when proper football starts and then you will, hopefully not this season, have some real substance to your moaning.
Hardly a practice game. The chance to see a championship side and to view our new players. I wonder if the County v Forest game was seen as a practice game or a prestige game by County fans ?
Last edited by Amber Andy on Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:50 am

Stag95 wrote:Spot the copper.

Nah! So wrong.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:03 pm

Big yella wrote:

Nah! So wrong.

Since when have I been a copper????
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:06 pm

I am Spartacus wrote:
Big yella wrote:

Nah! So wrong.

I said he was wrong. Your are a blind, unfit, no common sense, ginger minger referee, but not a copper. ;)
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:08 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
I am Spartacus wrote:

Hardly a practice game. The chance to see a championship side and to view our new players. I wonder if the County v Forest game was seen as a practice game or a prestige game by County fans ?

Practice game. Stags play Championship sides all the time, occasionally a Premier side. Depends on both clubs needs at the time. If you are calling Forest v County a prestige game then you have not that great a grip on football. All the Forest and County fans at work called it a friendly. A well attended one as they got to see new signings. If your definition of prestigious is seeing a new signing then why didn’t the Mill have 5,000 plus for the Rotherham game?
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:08 pm

Big yella wrote:
I am Spartacus wrote:
Big yella wrote:

Nah! So wrong.

I said he was wrong. Your are a blind, unfit, no common sense, ginger minger referee, but not a copper. ;)

Are you flirting with me again???
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum