{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Longstaff to leave Newcastle

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Longstaff to leave Newcastle

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:22 pm

MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Re: Players Released, Transfers & Loans 2022-2023

Postby BH_Stag » Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:23 pm

Avoid!
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:37 pm

Bananas. He'd be an amazing addition on a permanent.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:48 pm

Please don’t sign him. Can’t be doing with watching the midfield carry him for a full season.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:57 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:Bananas. He'd be an amazing addition on a permanent.

Slow, weak, and largely anonymous throughout games. When out of possession it is like playing with 10 men as his physical attributes mean he is very easily bypassed and it puts us on the back foot when he’s treading water. Not the kind of midfielder required in League 2 for me, and we already have better options in the squad for this level. Can’t knock his goal attribution but in my opinion they masked average at best performances. Think we would get close to as many goals out of Lapslie too. Did anyone ever walk away thinking that he ran the show or got the game by the scruff of the neck?

Before he joined I thought we used to run all over teams in midfield (after the bad run and when we got a full side together that is). Nobody could compete with us in there but from when he got in to the side I thought there was a drop off in how we controlled games and got on top of the opposition personally.

He’s technically a tidy player, and would probably benefit from playing in a higher league (which I’m sure is where he will end up) where there is generally a bit more space.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:23 pm

Did you watch him play for us?
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:30 pm

Longstaff will score goals at this level and probably L1 - the issue is the sort of player that he is does not work with how we play.

Either way he’s going to have to take a wage cut.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:44 pm

Yes Sedgwick, I saw a young lad who has barely played first team football in the season, turn up and score 6 goals in half a season, and assist a few more goals too.

He did tire, and he did appear weak, but allow him some time to grow, settle, find some rhythm. If we got him back, he'd do well, especially in an environment where there is no 'parent club' to intervene.

He'd have significant sell on value, but I doubt we could afford him.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:06 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:Yes Sedgwick, I saw a young lad who has barely played first team football in the season, turn up and score 6 goals in half a season, and assist a few more goals too.

He did tire, and he did appear weak, but allow him some time to grow, settle, find some rhythm. If we got him back, he'd do well, especially in an environment where there is no 'parent club' to intervene.

I agree.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Stag95 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:03 pm

Rumoured to be on 20k p/w at the minute - we’ve got no chance. Also he got 8 goal contributions in 18 games, clubs in higher divisions with deeper pockets will take the plunge.
Stag95
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:10 pm

He was never Premiership quality. Will end up league one or higher
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:10 pm

Sedgwick wrote:

Back stabbing again sedgy no need for it , giving players a extra season when they are young can make a big difference.
Longstaff as another years contract at Newcastle so very little chance of him coming here.
He came with it a big reputation at the business end of the season when real pressure was on results.
Our aim was to challenge for promotion and getting to a Wembley final made it a very good effort.
And if Murphy had headed into the net, Longstaff would have had a assist.
Good luck to the lad
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:18 pm

bear 73 wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

Back stabbing again sedgy no need for it , giving players a extra season when they are young can make a big difference.
Longstaff as another years contract at Newcastle so very little chance of him coming here.
He came with it a big reputation at the business end of the season when real pressure was on results.
Our aim was to challenge for promotion and getting to a Wembley final made it a very good effort.
And if Murphy had headed into the net, Longstaff would have had a assist.
Good luck to the lad

Good luck to Longstaff, say what you will, he will play higher than L2.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Re: Longstaff to leave Newcastle

Postby Realitycheck82 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:39 pm

No thankyou! Can't run,weak in the tackle never wins a header.. league 2 is all about winning 2nd balls! Its a good job he's got a good agent!
Realitycheck82
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby my name is jonas » Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:45 pm

Really don’t get the folk hating on Longstaff.

Imagine he was our third top scorer at least, was largely influential throughout.
Was poor for about 20 mins in the second half vs Northampton and in the final where everyone was bad, but for some reason is copping a lot of the flack like he was meant to single handedly win us every game just because he came from a Prem side.

Would love him back but we have no chance, L1 easy, if not Championship.
my name is jonas
First Team
First Team

Postby 1966Stag » Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:01 pm

Took this from Martin's match report for the play off semi first leg:

Lovely football as the Stags played the ball around on the right before Longstaff played a great crossfield pass to Murphy just inside the area on the left. Murphy took a couple of touches on to his left foot to create space to smash a low cross across the six yard box. It took the slightest deflection off the boot of the keeper and Bowery coming in at the far post turned it into the net from a tight angle.

Hope our new signings/current players are something special this year otherwise they are going to be slaughtered on here
1966Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:10 pm

1966Stag wrote:Took this from Martin's match report for the play off semi first leg:

Lovely football as the Stags played the ball around on the right before Longstaff played a great crossfield pass to Murphy just inside the area on the left. Murphy took a couple of touches on to his left foot to create space to smash a low cross across the six yard box. It took the slightest deflection off the boot of the keeper and Bowery coming in at the far post turned it into the net from a tight angle.

Hope our new signings/current players are something special this year otherwise they are going to be slaughtered on here

You could pluck out that extract from Martins reports, or you could refer to his average rating of the pair, Longstaff 6.69 (4th lowest) and Murphy 6.56 (2nd lowest).
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:15 pm

There was flashes of good play from them 1966Stag but nothing consistent about them at all.

Have to disagree Jonas that he was largely influential. He didn’t dictate play or set the tone like you would have hoped (like Maris can), his creativity didn’t stand out as being head and shoulders above anyone else (like Quinn’s can), he hampered us defensively big time and didn’t win any battles.

Even when he scored his overall performance was quite quiet. I recall the run of 3 goals in 3 games he had against Bradford, Exeter, and Tranmere. You’d barely have known he was on the pitch if not for the goals in any of those games (he was okay against Exeter but nothing special). Goal v Sutton took a heavy deflection when the game was already gone and they had had the run of the midfield all afternoon.

Goals are goals at the end of the day though so will always hold a value, but personally feel they were offset by limiting us in other areas. Again, I genuinely can’t recall a game where I came away thinking he looked great
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:23 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:Yes Sedgwick, I saw a young lad who has barely played first team football in the season, turn up and score 6 goals in half a season, and assist a few more goals too.

So 6 goals, mostly tap ins.. makes up for being completely anonymous for most of the game does it? Overall he didnt do enough to show hes what we need, never seen a player of his supposed quality fail to get involved in almost every game he played in, often completely disappeared and struggled.

If we signed him he wouldn't get on the bench imo, certainly doesn't start. So he wouldn't settle and "grow", Clarke,Laps, Quinn, Maris, Wallace, Boateng all above him and much more suited to how we play and the league were in. He probably wont be in league two because of his reputation, scored against united and played for Newcastle... about all hes done. But will need to be at club where he will play every game and develop.. he wont get that here.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby 1966Stag » Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:57 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
1966Stag wrote:Took this from Martin's match report for the play off semi first leg:

You could pluck out that extract from Martins reports, or you could refer to his average rating of the pair, Longstaff 6.69 (4th lowest) and Murphy 6.56 (2nd lowest).

Just imagine dropping from premier league to league 2 with opposition players wanting to put him in his place week after week - must take a bit of getting used to.

The bit I picked out from the report stuck with me because it got me on my feet cheering - I prefer doing that to criticising and booing. Each to their own I suppose.
1966Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Dan » Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:58 pm

Bit harsh those %’s seeing as though all the other players had 5 months longer to score more points.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:23 pm

I wish the lad well, wherever he ends up.

He did ok for us and certainly contributed more than some of the guru's on here are making out.

Occasionally tried to hard to play the killer ball, when he kept it simple he (and we) looked good.

He'll end up playing at a higher level even if he did join us for another season.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:36 pm

broomo wrote:I wish the lad well, wherever he ends up.

He did ok for us and certainly contributed more than some of the guru's on here are making out.

Occasionally tried to hard to play the killer ball, when he kept it simple he (and we) looked good.

He'll end up playing at a higher level even if he did join us for another season.

I think what people are saying is that he was incredibly detrimental to our effort to winning midfield battles. Every single game he plays he’s the slowest, weakest, smallest and most lightweight player on the pitch. He’s okay on the ball but nothing special for this level and in my opinion any ability he had on the ball didn’t make up for how much he weakened us as a team off the ball.

Maris, Boateng, Lapslie and Clarke are better and more well-rounded, reliable players than him. Stirk has similar limitations to Longstaff concerning a lack of size, athleticism, tackling ability etc but he at least had the ability to dictate play at times which I never saw once from Longstaff.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:26 am

Dan wrote:Bit harsh those %’s seeing as though all the other players had 5 months longer to score more points.

That’s one way of looking at it. Or, you could say less games to put in bad performances, including missing the 14 game winless run….

It’s a small sample size, but that’s what we have to go on.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:27 am

Don't think he was anything dazzling at all considering the huge drop in level.

Would have expected him to stand out technically and with speed of thought, something Premier League quality players have in spades to seperate them as the cream - but he didn't really did he?

Quinny and Perch, despite their ageing legs, you can still see that they have played at the top. Would a non-follower of the English game have been able to watch us play and pick out the Premier League loanee? I highly doubt it.

I'm not even confident he'd do it at higher levels than us (personal opinion) either. When you compare him to another loanee we had in Ben Whiteman, who was a top all round midfielder - and Whiteman is in the Championship. He did stand out as a player that was clearly too good for us and the level.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum