{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Longstaff to leave Newcastle

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Longstaff to leave Newcastle

Postby daddycool » Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:50 am

He will get snapped up at a higher level than us that’s for sure , no fee to pay brings a decent wage into play . Not sure I would sign him ,I think Lapslie would have got his goals playing regular and probably Clarke when fit .
So it’s a no from me
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby stag324 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:09 am

He is not a league 2 player and that is why he looked so poor.

He will end up in either the championship or top 6 league 1 team
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:53 am

I thought he was ok. The one thing he lacks is pace. He must’ve been our top scorer/assist leader in his few months here. When we were on our winning run we weren’t exactly hammering teams and inversely when we were beaten, we weren’t getting tonked either. We weren’t a great league two side without him or with him. We were a good league two side. I don’t think he improved us enough to take him back however. I prefer Clarke and Maris to him, but do we judge him harshly due to the pedigree he came with. Possibly!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:36 am

Longstaff will not be in our pay bracket & tbh he’s not in one of the positions Cloughie is looking to strengthen is he
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:16 pm

Given we’re still interested in Stirk at the right price, you’d have to conclude he’s not against adding another midfielder to the squad.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:21 pm

I don’t think we can rule out anyone really. Didn’t we sign Oates “because he became available”?
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:15 pm

Dan wrote:I don’t think we can rule out anyone really. Didn’t we sign Oates “because he became available”?

Yep. Lots of names fly about at different times during the summer

Funnily enough you think ah we've missed on x player, but clubs that rush and sign 10 players immediately to impress everyone end up missing out on better players.

We have a good squad, doesn't need lots of work, happy with our current approach
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:57 pm

Apparently Sheffield Wednesday watched him a lot whilst he was here. Now he’s available for transfer we might get to find out what they thought of him.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:59 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Apparently Sheffield Wednesday watched him a lot whilst he was here. Now he’s available for transfer we might get to find out what they thought of him.

If I was scouting him it would be too lightweight , easily brushed off the ball , doesn’t track back … definitely living in the shadow of his brother. Stay well clear .. foot note keep an eye on Oates !!
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:54 pm

https://the72.co.uk/2022/07/07/newcastl ... r-reveals/

He 'shone' for Mansfield, according to the author.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby eggy » Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:17 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:https://the72.co.uk/2022/07/07/newcastle-united-man-set-for-summer-move-was-scouted-heavily-by-sheffield-wednesday-last-season-reporter-reveals/

He 'shone' for Mansfield, according to the author.

Same author who claimed we had a bid accepted for Tom Nichols
eggy
Manager
Manager

Postby Calstag » Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:28 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:I thought he was ok. The one thing he lacks is pace. He must’ve been our top scorer/assist leader in his few months here. When we were on our winning run we weren’t exactly hammering teams and inversely when we were beaten, we weren’t getting tonked either. We weren’t a great league two side without him or with him. We were a good league two side. I don’t think he improved us enough to take him back however. I prefer Clarke and Maris to him, but do we judge him harshly due to the pedigree he came with. Possibly!!!

Totally agreed, and tbh I don’t get the criticism considering his stats of goals and assists…. I thought he was good overall
Calstag
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:28 am

Calstag wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:I thought he was ok. The one thing he lacks is pace. He must’ve been our top scorer/assist leader in his few months here. When we were on our winning run we weren’t exactly hammering teams and inversely when we were beaten, we weren’t getting tonked either. We weren’t a great league two side without him or with him. We were a good league two side. I don’t think he improved us enough to take him back however. I prefer Clarke and Maris to him, but do we judge him harshly due to the pedigree he came with. Possibly!!!

Totally agreed, and tbh I don’t get the criticism considering his stats of goals and assists…. I thought he was good overall

Went missing in games far too often, my opinion.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Vantage007 » Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:27 pm

Doubt he would've been given the contract at Newcastle if he wasn't 'good enough'. Maybe a contract rather than a loan would take some pressure off the lad. I saw some quality in him and I do agree that he was sometimes average at best.
Following MTFC since 1967!
Vantage007
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby cassellswasmagic » Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:34 pm

oldweststander wrote:
Calstag wrote:

Went missing in games far too often, my opinion.

A few did. I agree though, to some extent you’d expect him coming from where he does, to grab a game by the scruff of the neck!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:31 pm

He was no Ben Whiteman, let’s just leave the argument there.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:34 pm

I am Spartacus wrote:He was no Ben Whiteman, let’s just leave the argument there.

Was he a Timi (I love you) Elsnik?
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:39 pm

Big yella wrote:
I am Spartacus wrote:He was no Ben Whiteman, let’s just leave the argument there.

Was he a Timi (I love you) Elsnik?

Two differing players with two differing affections from me!! Enjoying the training back in your homeland???? :D :D
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:15 am

I do wonder though if sharpe did meet someone from newcastle out in the west indies or whatever whether longstaff was bought into the team and whether clough was consulted or told.

Gusss well never know as even if that was the case the club party line would never admit that.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:22 am

adamstag wrote:I do wonder though if sharpe did meet someone from newcastle out in the west indies or whatever whether longstaff was bought into the team and whether clough was consulted or told.

Gusss well never know as even if that was the case the club party line would never admit that.

I don't think Clough would be our manager if someone else was signing players for him without telling him, don't think he'd stand for that
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:01 pm

adamstag wrote:I do wonder though if sharpe did meet someone from newcastle out in the west indies or whatever whether longstaff was bought into the team and whether clough was consulted or told.

you don't need to wonder whether Clough was consulted. It was totally his decision to sign him, though came from Sharpe's chance contact in the first place.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby adamstag » Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:21 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:

I don't think Clough would be our manager if someone else was signing players for him without telling him, don't think he'd stand for that

i can’t imagine he would have stood for it in fairness
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby wayno cordiniho » Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:36 pm

I think if you’d said to any L2 manager, do you want a premier league youngster for the last half of the season… they’d snap your hands off
wayno cordiniho
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:31 pm

wayno cordiniho wrote:I think if you’d said to any L2 manager, do you want a premier league youngster for the last half of the season… they’d snap your hands off
Of course they would.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:15 pm

Imagine if the opposite was true.

Like the season ended the way it did and it was revealed we could have took the on loan super cheap and we decided not to. This place would be in uproar.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum