{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Fixtures released - start away at Salford

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Fixtures released - start away at Salford

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:26 am

Paulstag wrote:No home games in November?

not in the league. FA Cup on Nov 5 and 26
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby ST4GS » Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:29 am

Salford was last away game last season and first away this upcoming season and Colchester vice versa.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby stag324 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:39 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Having looked at that little lot, it confirms in my mind that it will be very difficult to achieve promotion this year.

I really don't understand why you think this before a ball is even kicked?

Maybe I did the wrong thing, along with 3000+ other fans in buying a season ticket.

Who would have thought these were the teams we were going to play this season
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:43 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Having looked at that little lot, it confirms in my mind that it will be very difficult to achieve promotion this year.

It’s been very difficult for us for my entire life :lol:

Even when we have managed promotions it’s never been at a canter.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:54 am

There’s an easy way……well you know the rest
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:15 am

scotsstag wrote:
Bros wrote:Our 2 Tues night away fixtures are Carlisle and Newport. I don't think the EFL like us

Yep, and the 3 home ones are Wimbledon, Newport and Carlisle.
Can't see much of a revenue boost from traveling fans for those 3 :roll:

Hasn't that been intentionally done for all clubs for quite a while now ?
The theory being that long distance games bring less away fans anyway, so the assumption is that the loss of travellers by moving it to Tuesday is lower.
Just throwing random figures around - if you work on the theory that a Tuesday game would have 50% less travellers than the same team on a Saturday, a local team might bring 1000 on a Saturday whereas a long distance team might only bring 200, so the 50% loss for the local team if it was on Tuesday would be 500 less travelling fans, as opposed to 100 less for a long distance team.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:26 am

The fixtures do look difficult. Promotion will be hard and we need some quality in.

4 have to go up though.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Bros » Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:32 am

Dave Wayne wrote:
scotsstag wrote:
Bros wrote:Our 2 Tues night away fixtures are Carlisle and Newport. I don't think the EFL like us

The theory being that long distance games bring less away fans anyway, so the assumption is that the loss of travellers by moving it to Tuesday is lower.
Just throwing random figures around - if you work on the theory that a Tuesday game would have 50% less travellers than the same team on a Saturday, a local team might bring 1000 on a Saturday whereas a long distance team might only bring 200, so the 50% loss for the local team if it was on Tuesday would be 500 less travelling fans, as opposed to 100 less for a long distance team.

Let's wait and see who the likes of Gillingham Sutton and Crawley get for their away night matches.
It has also been pointed out to me that we have Hartlepool away between Christmas and New year. That'll be a cold night
Nunc est bibendum
Bros
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:35 am

stag324 wrote:

I really don't understand why you think this before a ball is even kicked?

Maybe I did the wrong thing, along with 3000+ other fans in buying a season ticket.

Who would have thought these were the teams we were going to play this season

Having watched them for more than 50 years, I think I have just about grasped the standard of teams in this division and compare their potential to our own team. Ok, we haven’t seen our full squad yet but the main structure of the team is in place and other teams are already showing their intent with some of the signings already made.

Prior to the end of last season, it was obvious that this year’s division was going to be very competitive and will be for several years to come. We’ve had a bit of luck with Wrexham failing to get up but that’s as far as it goes.

If you think we have a side which is nailed on for top three, that’s fair enough but I don’t think it is that easy and certainly wouldn’t buy a season ticket just because I thought we were going to walk the league.

Given our high tempo pressing game I feel it is fair to expect both suspensions and injuries to disrupt a settled team but also accept that Nigel will rotate his players accordingly.

With my expected level of the opposition’s abilities I don’t yet think we have a side capable of a top three finish unless we are extremely lucky with injuries and suspensions. If we bolster the defence and strike force in this transfer window, my opinion may change but the incomings will have to be quality signings.

I look forward to being proven incorrect.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:40 am

arsene wengers coat wrote:The fixtures do look difficult. Promotion will be hard and we need some quality in.

4 have to go up though.

We knew the teams before the fixtures came out. Each one home and away
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:44 am

Sneag wrote:I thought I was over Wembley, then I saw that very uninspiring fixture list.

Port vale are at home to fleetwood on opening game of the season if that helps any :lol:

But yes, it’s reminded me of how sadly we cocked up once more on the big stage and miss out on all those amazing fixtures vale will enjoy.

Guess we’ve just got to go again.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:53 am

Bros wrote:
Dave Wayne wrote:
scotsstag wrote:

Let's wait and see who the likes of Gillingham Sutton and Crawley get for their away night matches.
It has also been pointed out to me that we have Hartlepool away between Christmas and New year. That'll be a cold night

Tuesday 16th August
Crawley Town v Northampton Town
Crewe Alexandra v Sutton United
Gillingham v Harrogate Town

Tuesday 13th September
Crawley Town v Stockport County
Grimsby Town v Gillingham
Swindon Town v Sutton United
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:08 am

I thought it was standard you got the longer games on a tuesday night on purpose.

As mentioned higher up, you’d have your more local games on a saturday for attendances.

Take doncaster, could easily take 3,000 there on a Saturday, probably 1,500 on a tuesday.

Go to newport on a saturday we might take 400, a tuesday night - 150 or so (of course those figures are rough guesses but you get the point)
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Beyond The Pale » Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:09 am

The end of the season looks ridiculous for all teams, just because of the World Cup... Seven games in April before any postponements through the winter months meaning rearranged fixtures to come in March & April. You can almost guarantee the season being extended.

There will be a lot of tired legs & probably injuries because of this too, i'm sure our Wembley performance was inept because of fatigue & the amount of games played over the last month or so of last season - More than any other team I believe.
I backed my car into a cop car the other day, he just drove off, sometimes life's okay...
Beyond The Pale
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:26 am

:) All tough games from the first to the last .

:D But one thing for sure The Amber & Blue Army will be there backing them all the way :clap: :clap:
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:52 pm

Well what an uninspiring pile of raspberry they are. Not even anything to really look forward to. At least last year we all thought the FGR game would have something riding on it.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:01 pm

I think the fixture list is better than last season. Stockport, Grimsby, Crewe, Doncaster all decent trips.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:18 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:I think the fixture list is better than last season. Stockport, Grimsby, Crewe, Doncaster all decent trips.

Crewe :shock:
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:48 pm

Dan wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:I think the fixture list is better than last season. Stockport, Grimsby, Crewe, Doncaster all decent trips.

Crewe :shock:

Yeah. Not too far, family close by and plenty of pubs around the ground.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:18 pm

I think long distance Tuesday is also down to ifollow. Some people don't do long trips at all so if they make the long trips on a Tuesday then more will pay for ifollow. Keep the closer games to a Saturday and more will attend physically. Or set up a vpn and buy ifollow.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:56 pm

gazza1988 wrote:I think long distance Tuesday is also down to ifollow. Some people don't do long trips at all so if they make the long trips on a Tuesday then more will pay for ifollow. Keep the closer games to a Saturday and more will attend physically. Or set up a vpn and buy ifollow.

Yes, it'd be a proper spectacle if everyone just watched on ifollow :roll: I really hope they find a way to close that loophole.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:14 am

Rob wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:I think long distance Tuesday is also down to ifollow. Some people don't do long trips at all so if they make the long trips on a Tuesday then more will pay for ifollow. Keep the closer games to a Saturday and more will attend physically. Or set up a vpn and buy ifollow.

Yes, it'd be a proper spectacle if everyone just watched on ifollow :roll: I really hope they find a way to close that loophole.

I didn't say everyone. I meant that for long trips where a small percentage of our home gates travel it makes the game more accessible for people to watch.

That loophole can only be closed properly if they ban overseas on a Saturday 3pm as well.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:35 am

It seems unusual that both the first and last games of the season are away.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:02 am

oldweststander wrote:It seems unusual that both the first and last games of the season are away.

I think we were at home for both last season so probably just evening things up.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:10 am

oldweststander wrote:It seems unusual that both the first and last games of the season are away.
Check out past seasons then. It is more common than you think for the Stags
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum