{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Please Don't go Quinney

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Please Don't go Quinney

Postby the saint » Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:33 pm

Do'nt retire or go Quinney ... we still need you ... your experience and skill will be missed ...

dont
the saint
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Re: Please Do'nt go Quinney

Postby oldweststander » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:08 am

Believe me, age and old injuries eventually catches up with us all.

Quinny has played for years with ankle issues, towards the end of last season he picked up a persistent hip injury and was only half the player.

If finance allows, I'd love to see him join the coaching staff etc.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:49 am

Good luck to him in whatever he decides to do, but he let us down big time more than once last season with his ridiculous on field tantrums.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Staghammer » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:56 am

It was quite obvious to me personally speaking that the rigors and demands of a season where fixtures piled up towards the back end of the season took its toll on his performances. Can a player at his age now meet that demand again plus contribute in a constant and consistent way to the side, only the man himself can answer that
Staghammer
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Oladamber66 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:06 am

Dont agree with letting us down.... he’s a player with passion and gives us 100% as well as having bags of experience and
a Motivator on the pitch... but age I'm afraid is not on his side ... i think he might have another season in him Hopefully!?
Oladamber66
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Elkesley Stag » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:34 am

Oladamber66 wrote:Dont agree with letting us down.... he’s a player with passion and gives us 100% as well as having bags of experience and
a Motivator on the pitch... but age I'm afraid is not on his side ... i think he might have another season in him Hopefully!?

6 game ban for being over passionate did let us down
Elkesley Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby 1970Stag » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:38 am

My worry is he's holding out for a 2 year contract which will leave us saddled with another player past his prime.
There are better younger cheaper faster players out there.
For such an experienced player, his ill discipline costs us points last season, as it did throughout the team.
1970Stag
Manager
Manager

Re: Please Don't go Quinney

Postby Oladamber66 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:57 am

Ok fair enough ..but over zealous and poor decisions from refs don't help ... but he did more good than bad over the season
Oladamber66
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:27 am

1970Stag wrote:My worry is he's holding out for a 2 year contract which will leave us saddled with another player past his prime.
For such an experienced player, his ill discipline costs us points last season, as it did throughout the team.

Don’t see why that would be the case, he signed a one year deal last summer.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:35 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
1970Stag wrote:My worry is he's holding out for a 2 year contract which will leave us saddled with another player past his prime.

Because we've been handing out much longer term contracts since then?
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:37 am

the saint wrote:Do'nt retire or go Quinney ... we still need you ... your experience and skill will be missed ...

Like an old dog sometimes you just have to let go ..

dont
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby Nottsstag100 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:43 am

Don't believe that this is the case, I was told by a player that earlier in the season he was considering retirement at the end of the season regardless of what happened, ie promotion.

My only thoughts are that because of the way it all ended at Wembley he may stay another season, if he still feels like he can contribute in rotation with the likes of boateng.

Therefore I believe he is probably still in discussions with his family as to whether to retire or give it one more go.

Regardless of what happens he has been a great addition and I wish him well.
:mtfc:
Nottsstag100
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Stag95 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:45 am

Hope he stays, he’s been very good for us. However there is a hotheaded side to him that I can’t imagine Clough is a fan of.
Stag95
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:04 pm

victor A block wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

Because we've been handing out much longer term contracts since then?

Not to players of his age we haven’t.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:18 pm

There isn't great deal of sentiment in football.

The most Quinny could expect is a one year deal, as Perch has accepted, injuries add a different dimension.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:51 pm

Milner of Mansfield!!! Give him another year imo. It’s more than just his ability, it’s his presence on and off the pitch.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby CassellsCap » Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:17 pm

Hope we keep him another year. Quality player that can play a big part even if only in 30 min spells. On a tough night away in middle of winter his football brain can change a game with one pass... it’s a long season and even ten games from quinny can give us that extra experience when needed.
CassellsCap
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby stag324 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:36 pm

How many games did we win when he wasn’t playing?

We need him and Macca together down the left
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:42 pm

I hope he signs on for another year, but don’t want us to feel compelled to start him every week without fail. We have plenty of good options in midfield, and you could see it was starting to catch up with Quinn towards the back end of the season after playing nearly every game when available.

If we were more selective for his games I’m sure we could get some top performances out of him again.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:57 pm

Listened to an interview with Mark Bonner talking about Wes Hoolahan at Cambridge.

He talked of the need of finding the balance between him being their best player, and him not being able to play every week. Think we've got to do that with Quinn. He's probably, ability wise, our best player and definitely worth his place in the squad. He can't play every week as he did last year through injuries etc. Think that's why we've signed Boateng and maybe looking at others to cover when he's not there as we definitely had a dip in performance level when Quinn didn't play (especially with McLaughlin).

A lot of recency bias going on this thread with Quinn, he was our best player for a good third of the season. He's still got loads to offer.
Last edited by James on Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:13 pm

James wrote:Listened to an interview with Mark Bonner talking about Wes Hoolahan at Cambridge.

He talked of the need of finding the balance between him being their best player, and him not being able to play every week. Think we've got to do that with Quinn. He's probably, ability wise, our best player and definitely worth his place in the squad. He can't play every week as he did last year through injuries etc. Think that's why we've signed Boateng and maybe looking at others to cover when he's not there as we definitely had a dip in performance level when Quinn didn't play (especially with McLaughlin).

A lot of recency bias going on this thred with Quinn, he was our best player for a good third of the season. He's still got loads to offer.

The question is, does he beleive he can still offer it?

We can say what we like but at the end of the day it is his body and his family.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:37 pm

He will make a decision soon I expect.If he signs for another year he won't expect to play every game and probably won't be fit enough.I like him in the team for his experience and heart.Very similar to Jamma but a far better player.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:49 pm

Calm down lads and lasses.

Monday.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:22 pm

Forgot about the 5 subs rule.

Keep him, absolutely being able to bring him on/off and still having subs, keeping Quinn fresh as possible for longer will really help us.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:48 pm

Sedgwick wrote:Forgot about the 5 subs rule.

Keep him, absolutely being able to bring him on/off and still having subs, keeping Quinn fresh as possible for longer will really help us.

Definitely, no doubt about it we are a better side when he plays.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum