{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Rawson signs for Morecambe

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Rawson signs for Morecambe

Postby Marky Mark » Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:12 pm

"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Re: Rawson signs for Morecambe

Postby Stoney » Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:38 pm

How on earth has he got a move to League One?
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:39 pm

Stoney wrote:How on earth has he got a move to League One?

Because, like Bowery, he is absolutely nowhere near as bad as some on here make out. I'm not even remotely surprised.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:44 pm

Rob wrote:

Because, like Bowery, he is absolutely nowhere near as bad as some on here make out. I'm not even remotely surprised.

I dunno that back pass against FGR still haunts me
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:56 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Stoney » Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:58 pm

Rob wrote:

Bowery could easily play League One. Rawson is nowhere near that level. When a quick player runs at him he's had it. Plenty of mistakes in him. He's a half decent league two centre half at best.
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby wayno cordiniho » Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:14 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Rob wrote:

I think it was Sutton?
wayno cordiniho
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:16 pm

I dont think he's ever let us down drastically more than any other League Two player would do. If he was more consistent he'd probably be higher than League One, on his day he's a really good defender. One game he's brilliant, the next you wonder if he's got the right legs on.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:17 pm

All our supposed rejects move up a level.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:24 pm

Rawson would be more suited to the conference than league 1
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:24 pm

wayno cordiniho wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
Rob wrote:

I think it was Sutton?

Yep sorry, you're right! Sutton it was
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:30 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
wayno cordiniho wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
Rob wrote:

I think it was Sutton?

Yep sorry, you're right! Sutton it was

Interesting how things pan out . Had he not made that error he would probably have still been in the team playing at Wembley. IMO a better centre half than Hawkins, although unfortunately neither of them (along with John Joe) have any pace.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby Tre Cool » Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:46 pm

Interesting how many of our players from last season and in 2018 gained a 'promotion' even though our team couldn't.

Rawson
Charlsley
McDonald
White
CJ
Could count Benning I suppose, to name a few.
Tre Cool
First Team
First Team

Postby Rob » Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:58 pm

Stoney wrote:
Rob wrote:

Bowery could easily play League One. Rawson is nowhere near that level. When a quick player runs at him he's had it. Plenty of mistakes in him. He's a half decent league two centre half at best.

He clearly is that level, as that is exactly where he is now playing - better judges than you and I think so.

He did have a few poor games, who didn't, but I probably would have kept him for next season. I agree with the points Victor and Mark have made.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:04 pm

Good Luck to him !
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:04 pm

Good luck to him always gave his best for us.
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:06 pm

Adams will get the best out of him and make him do a job consistently. Morecambes squad are mostly average league two players but he gets them working hard and getting results.

Rawson is easily good enough for league one. It's not that much of a step up like people think.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Johan » Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:24 pm

Marky Mark wrote:I dont think he's ever let us down drastically more than any other League Two player would do.

I disagree. I desperately wanted Rawson to become a no-nonsense fourth division defender who won everything in the air.

Unfortunately he always had a mistake in him and would often switch off at corners or free-kicks. Come the end of the season a striker was keeping him out of the team and no one raised an eyebrow when he was released.

However I hope he kicks on and fulfils his potential because he seems like a genuinely nice lad.
Johan
First Team
First Team

Postby Stoney » Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:38 pm

Rob wrote:
Stoney wrote:
Rob wrote:

He clearly is that level, as that is exactly where he is now playing - better judges than you and I think so.

He did have a few poor games, who didn't, but I probably would have kept him for next season. I agree with the points Victor and Mark have made.

He's got a contract at that level but I think he will be shown up by the better quality of strikers in that league. Time will tell :)
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:55 pm

Stoney wrote:
Rob wrote:
Stoney wrote:
Rob wrote:

He's got a contract at that level but I think he will be shown up by the better quality of strikers in that league. Time will tell :)

I'll await a bashing from you when he scores an og and is red carded in his first game :lol:
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:23 pm

I thought he was fairly steady if he had a good run in the team and a decent partner at the side of him.

I would have picked him above Hawkins unless we were playing a team like Northampton and the extra height was essential. Yes he had the odd poor (occasionally very poor) game but that was usually when he was short of match practice. Not the fastest but yards ahead of Hawkins most of the time.

All of that said, I still don’t think he is consistent enough for a title winning team which is why I feel it is vital we sign a top class centre half this summer. If we don’t we won’t finish top three.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:26 pm

Couldn’t agree with Rob more tbh. Nowhere near as bad as folk make out. Him and JJ should’ve been the CB pairing. He made a howler v Sutton. Lots of players have the odd howler. He’s a top end league 2 or league 1 defender imo.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:41 pm

He’s not L1 level. Morecambe have a budget which means they’re limited to signing players who would usually be playing in L2. He’s fine for L2 but we had better centre backs at the club. He was our fourth choice, and when you’re looking to improve you move your fourth choice on and bring in a new first choice.
Last edited by MTFCMusings on Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:50 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:He’s not L1 level. Morecambe have a budget which which means they’re limited to signing players who would usually be playing in L2. He’s fine for L2 but we had better centre backs at the club. He was our fourth choice, and when you’re looking to improve you move your fourth choice on and bring in a new first choice.

So if actually playing in League 1 doesn't qualify as being "League 1 level", what does?
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:54 pm

Rob wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:He’s not L1 level. Morecambe have a budget which which means they’re limited to signing players who would usually be playing in L2. He’s fine for L2 but we had better centre backs at the club. He was our fourth choice, and when you’re looking to improve you move your fourth choice on and bring in a new first choice.

So if actually playing in League 1 doesn't qualify as being "League 1 level", what does?

Performing like a L1 player. Rawson hasn’t even shown in his time here that he’s a consistently good L2 player.

Being signed by a club in a particular division doesn’t automatically make you that standard of player.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum