{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Rawson signs for Morecambe

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Rawson signs for Morecambe

Postby The One » Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:05 pm

Tre Cool wrote:Interesting how many of our players from last season and in 2018 gained a 'promotion' even though our team couldn't.

Rawson
Charlsley
McDonald
White
CJ
Could count Benning I suppose, to name a few.

White ?
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:15 pm

Rob wrote:
Stoney wrote:How on earth has he got a move to League One?

Because, like Bowery, he is absolutely nowhere near as bad as some on here make out. I'm not even remotely surprised.

I actually think he was our best defender but prone to the odd error costly in some cases but that can be said of any League 4 player . Never given a chance after that game .
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:17 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Rob wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:He’s not L1 level. Morecambe have a budget which which means they’re limited to signing players who would usually be playing in L2. He’s fine for L2 but we had better centre backs at the club. He was our fourth choice, and when you’re looking to improve you move your fourth choice on and bring in a new first choice.

So if actually playing in League 1 doesn't qualify as being "League 1 level", what does?

Performing like a L1 player. Rawson hasn’t even shown in his time here that he’s a consistently good L2 player.

Being signed by a club in a particular division doesn’t automatically make you that standard of player.

So what you are saying is your personal view of the player is more important than the actual league he is in when determining his level. I suspect Derek Adams does think he's League 1 level.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:18 pm

Rob wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Rob wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:He’s not L1 level. Morecambe have a budget which which means they’re limited to signing players who would usually be playing in L2. He’s fine for L2 but we had better centre backs at the club. He was our fourth choice, and when you’re looking to improve you move your fourth choice on and bring in a new first choice.

So if actually playing in League 1 doesn't qualify as being "League 1 level", what does?

Performing like a L1 player. Rawson hasn’t even shown in his time here that he’s a consistently good L2 player.

Being signed by a club in a particular division doesn’t automatically make you that standard of player.

So what you are saying is your personal view of the player is more important than the actual league he is in when determining his level. I suspect Derek Adams does think he's League 1 level.

Do you think Keaton Ward is a L2 player?

I’m surprised at the nonsensical angle you’re taking Rob when you’ve spent the last 18 months dining out on saying Alistair Smith was a L2 player when he wasn’t playing in L2 :lol:
Last edited by MTFCMusings on Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:25 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Rob wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Rob wrote:

That’s a different scenario ward hasn’t had the game time for one reason or another
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby Stagsfan11 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:26 pm

Nowhere near as bad as some have made him out to be, but it was the right time for him to go.

Good luck to him, always came across as a nice lad and always gave his all.
Stagsfan11
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Berryhillstagno1 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:29 pm

Having seen Rawson perform at nearly all the games he played for us last season, I would say he was MOM material in several. Silly sending off v Barrow and a costly back pass v Sutton Utd. Immense in my opinion v Bradford City. I would have kept him for sure. Adams does have an ability with certain players to help them develop. I hope he can do it with Faz. Best of luck with your new club, wouldn't enjoy the travelling though
Berryhillstagno1
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby stagmanrob » Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:01 pm

Stags fans always seem to have short memories. Rawson was the best player at Bradford away. Had some very solid games for us.

Where he went wrong was after the early gaffe against Sutton, rather than raise his game and shrug it off to make up for it, he went the other way - his head completely dropped and he got worse. Clough referenced that in his post match interview and pretty much put the loss on Rawson.
He was straight in the bomb squad after that, never got near the team.

I think he's better than Hawkins, who don't forget made a far costlier error in our biggest game of the season, by making two stupid challenges and getting himself sent off.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:02 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Rob wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Rob wrote:

I’m surprised at the nonsensical angle you’re taking Rob when you’ve spent the last 18 months dining out on saying Alistair Smith was a L2 player when he wasn’t playing in L2 :lol:

What you've said about Smith not being league two standard when he was playing in the conference is the exact same as what you're saying about Rawson... Like Smith, in a year times Rawson would have probably played enough games in league one to say he's made the step up.

Plays in league one he's league one standard, in the eyes of a league one manager too, I'd go off that rather than your usual only my opinion is right attitude.

Faz is a good league two player, nowhere near as bad as some are making out.. has plenty of experience at this level. He will play plenty of games in league one nd be more than comfortable. It's not a massive step up. Sometimes players get their break joining a smaller team with a lower budget in a higher or lower league, like Smith. Just the way they get their chance. Doesn't automatically mean they aren't actually good enough.

To just dismiss him as not good enough is nonsense. I can guarantee for a fact you wouldn't say the same about O'Keefe who you rate highly despite never really watching and he's again similar to Faz, a decent league two player playing in league one at a small club because their both good enough.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:14 pm

Right ok so you’re allowed an opinion about a player which is different to a managers, but when I have one it’s now allowed :lol: and then I’m the one who is insisting only my opinion is right. Classic.

You’re right, I wouldn’t say the same about O’Keeffe because I’ve always rated him as a good League Two player. What relevant that has to this debate I’m not sure.

You seem to be suggesting that whatever level club you’ve signed for, you are as good as that level, which is just not the case.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:16 pm

Billy the fish wrote:
Rob wrote:
Stoney wrote:How on earth has he got a move to League One?

Because, like Bowery, he is absolutely nowhere near as bad as some on here make out. I'm not even remotely surprised.

I actually think he was our best defender but prone to the odd error costly in some cases but that can be said of any League 4 player . Never given a chance after that game .

Rawson had plenty of chances in his two years here and didn't take them.

He was our best defender on his day, but also looked like he had never played a game of football some games. We can do better.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:16 pm

Rawson's contract was up and clearly NC thought he could get better and probably for less.

Time will tell.

Good luck to Farrand, hope he does well.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:37 pm

Nartey is a premier league centre back. He signed for Chelsea aged 9.;)
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby HitchcocksShins » Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:54 pm

Difficult to argue one side or another with full conviction on this topic but L1 is a bit surprising.
Overall I'd say he'd be a decent conference defender, average to good League Two, bottom half to relegation battle League One.
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:10 am

Decent guy and decent defender
Surprised he has secured league 1 berth though
He probably wishes he never left FGR lol
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby stag324 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:39 am

good player and better than Hawkins.

However, what was his attitude like? What was he like in training?

All these things have an importance. some more than others for different managers.

Clough seems to appreciate hard work and effort over ability.... wait Murphy was the exception ..
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby James » Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:53 am

stag324 wrote:good player and better than Hawkins.

All these things have an importance. some more than others for different managers.

Clough seems to appreciate hard work and effort over ability.... wait Murphy was the exception ..

Murphy worked hard for the team, just didn't bring the quality we expected.
James
Manager
Manager

Postby stag324 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:25 pm

James wrote:

Murphy worked hard for the team, just didn't bring the quality we expected

My point exactly about Clough, hard work is higher up his requirements than ability
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby yorkstag » Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:53 pm

I think some of the comments on here are rather rose tinted.
I’m sure Faz is a great guy and I’m delighted he has found another club.
He was immense at Bradford but that was by far and away his best performance in a Stags shirt - he has always had an error in him and tended to head balls up in the air not away
In true Stagsnet fashion a thread can’t praise a player without criticising another. Hawkins has made errors and cost us notably at Newport and Wembley but for me Hawkins at the top of his game is better than Faz at the top of his.
Just my view and clearly Nigel’s.
Let’s see who we bring into replace Faz and then take a view. Bear in mind he was out of contract Hawks isnt so it wasn’t either or.
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:18 pm

yorkstag wrote:I think some of the comments on here are rather rose tinted.
I’m sure Faz is a great guy and I’m delighted he has found another club.
He was immense at Bradford but that was by far and away his best performance in a Stags shirt - he has always had an error in him and tended to head balls up in the air not away
In true Stagsnet fashion a thread can’t praise a player without criticising another. Hawkins has made errors and cost us notably at Newport and Wembley but for me Hawkins at the top of his game is better than Faz at the top of his.
Just my view and clearly Nigel’s.
Let’s see who we bring into replace Faz and then take a view. Bear in mind he was out of contract Hawks isnt so it wasn’t either or.

Sorry Yorkstag but I totally disagree with that. I would certainly have Rawson ahead of Hawkins but that doesn’t mean either can’t do a reasonable job. For clarity I don’t think either are good enough all rounders to be in a promotion winning side without good support at the side of them and see them both as the weaker partner of a central pairing.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:38 pm

stag324 wrote:
James wrote:

Murphy worked hard for the team, just didn't bring the quality we expected

My point exactly about Clough, hard work is higher up his requirements than ability

And so it should be at this level. Getting both isn’t so easy.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Curry 9 Brace 7 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:59 pm

Good luck Faz is what i say. Cant be doing with all these know all know nowts like Stoney
Curry 9 Brace 7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Speccy » Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:07 pm

We need at least one proper centre back to come in. Someone strong, a good reader of the game, good in the air and composed.
A George foster or Les Robinson type.
I don’t think we have a player currently at the club that fits that description despite having several players that can ‘do a job’ there.
Speccy
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby adamstag » Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:33 pm

Rawson was an average league 2 player at best and not what you’d be looking for to mount a promotion push, he prone to many lapses and poor performances with a sprinkling of something else every 2 months or so.

That he’s ended up at morecambe is more to do with their budget than his ability.

Wish the lad all the best of course, but glad he’s not with us next season.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby ian23 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:54 pm

Speccy wrote:We need at least one proper centre back to come in. Someone strong, a good reader of the game, good in the air and composed.
A George foster or Les Robinson type.
I don’t think we have a player currently at the club that fits that description despite having several players that can ‘do a job’ there.

Hold on, the average age is already creeping up
ian23
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum