{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Gary Crosby

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Gary Crosby

Postby oldweststander » Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:19 pm

I know Gary Crosby is the assistant manager at the One Call but what does he do in that role. I read, sometime ago, he doesn't attend matches, does he scout forthcoming opponents etc?
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Re: Gary Crosby

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:04 pm

He does attend some matches. I think he watches the upcoming opposition.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby adamstag » Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:17 pm

So he’s a scout.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:38 pm

He watches the games from up in the stand/gantry/Directors box depending on where we are.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:20 pm

Thanks for that Dan.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:54 pm

oldweststander wrote:I know Gary Crosby is the assistant manager at the One Call but what does he do in that role. I read, sometime ago, he doesn't attend matches, does he scout forthcoming opponents etc?

He assists the manager.... Imagine that will range from a variety of different tasks depending on what Nigel wants. Usually offering a different opinion and experience watching from a different view point.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:36 pm

I assume he will report to Clough. I would wager most teams previous matches are available to watch back. He will watch them, as will Clough and then discuss what to do to counter threats and how we can threaten them in return. Decide what to focus on in training. Implement the training. Maybe Clough takes 1 group and Crosby another to work on different things.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:16 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
oldweststander wrote:I know Gary Crosby is the assistant manager at the One Call but what does he do in that role. I read, sometime ago, he doesn't attend matches, does he scout forthcoming opponents etc?

He assists the manager.... Imagine that will range from a variety of different tasks depending on what Nigel wants. Usually offering a different opinion and experience watching from a different view point.

bit like me from the WSU :D & i tell Cloughie for free
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:17 pm

oldweststander wrote:Thanks for that Dan.

No worries mate. I saw him in the directors box and also the tv gantry at Field Mill this season and he was at the back of the stand at Scunthorpe behind the dugouts last season and kept coming down to talk to NC and AG
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:09 pm

He was also watching the three games the fringe players played at Basford in the county cup.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Speccy » Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:17 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
oldweststander wrote:I know Gary Crosby is the assistant manager

He assists the manager....

Controversial.
Speccy
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby georgefostersbeard » Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:12 pm

I remember when we beat Cheltenham playing three up front. Clough said that Crosby had watched in their last game and came up with the strategy to beat them. I also am sure I read somewhere that Crosby has rarely attended match days when working with Clough at previous clubs as he thinks he can be more use scouting.
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:38 pm

It makes sense.

Simon Clough is head of recruitment so he will look at transfer targets.

We need someone to watch our next opponents (like I said there's match video but you only see what the cameraman let's you see. Unless they have access to alternate views?) and unless they have a transfer target playing for them then Crosby can't be at 2 places at the same time.

If we are playing and our next opponents aren't then we utilise Crosby as an extra set of eyes on match days.

Andy Garner is first team coach so would be better placed to sit alongside Clough. He's trained the players all week working on our opponents weaknesses so could be better placed to offer a 2nd opinion on what to do to combat what's happening on the pitch.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum