{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Nartey Released By Burnley. Will We?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Nartey Released By Burnley. Will We?

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:09 am

Nartey got injured during his debut and then played injured at Walsall. I don’t think he was injured when we signed him.

He looked to me like someone who could play in a back three as a centre back. That’s where he played for Burton in L1 and did well there.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:55 am

gazza1988 wrote:
Jimstag wrote:Don’t think we will, even if the rumours are true that he was injured from the start and therefore capable of more he potentially hid it from us which would mean we couldn’t trust him? I expect Clough to have other options in the pipeline.

It's no rumour. Clough signed a known injured player on loan well 2. Because he signed both Will Forrester and Nartey on loan who were recovering from injuries.

Or was Nartey injured here after a few games? We had that many injuries back then I'm not 100% sure. Forrester definitely was injured.

IIRC Forrester was apparently a couple of weeks off fitness when we signed him and then just kept having setback after setback. I did think he looked steady in the games he played.

Nartey was also coming back to fitness when we signed him I think, was unfit as hell when he played and then got injured and was never seen again
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:33 am

I have thought to myself a few times, if we’d have signed O’Toole on deadline day instead of 6 weeks later, would we have picked up enough points for autos?
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Johnny Rotten » Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:50 pm

I understand the concern in signing him but to say not good enough etc is harsh esp when about twelve months ago we signed Hewitt who had a 'string' of relegations under his belt and the same comments were banded about but that didn't turn out so bad, eh?
@orpington_stag
London & SE Stags Lead
APFSCIL Vice Chair
Ex-Away day fancy dress/theme planner
Johnny Rotten
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:04 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:
Jimstag wrote:Don’t think we will, even if the rumours are true that he was injured from the start and therefore capable of more he potentially hid it from us which would mean we couldn’t trust him? I expect Clough to have other options in the pipeline.

It's no rumour. Clough signed a known injured player on loan well 2. Because he signed both Will Forrester and Nartey on loan who were recovering from injuries.

Or was Nartey injured here after a few games? We had that many injuries back then I'm not 100% sure. Forrester definitely was injured.

IIRC Forrester was apparently a couple of weeks off fitness when we signed him and then just kept having setback after setback. I did think he looked steady in the games he played.

Nartey was also coming back to fitness when we signed him I think, was unfit as hell when he played and then got injured and was never seen again

Yeah, did a bit of searching and looked at the article where they both signed, you are correct, my apologies. Forrester had a ankle injury and there is no mention of a injury for Nartey.

Fitness did look an issue though. So either he missed pre-season due to injury (found no mention of an injury then just mention that he tried to stay fit an injury free over last summer) or had a light pre season after an injury in the season but again I'm not certain.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:05 pm

Forrester started four games for us and we won all four of those games.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Ethers1979 » Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:38 pm

part time pete wrote:Forrester started four games for us and we won all four of those games.

Brilliant away to Donny
Ethers1979
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Jun 11, 2022 4:57 pm

Nartey was also the worst header of a ball for a defender I’ve ever seen. Looked good when the ball was on the deck but he certainly didn’t look like a defender at all.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Tawnystag » Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:02 pm

Singularly the worst performance I’ve ever seen by a player in a Stags shirt at Walsall away. Something was definitely up that day. It’s impossible to be a professional football and be that bad.
Tawnystag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:28 am

Tawnystag wrote:Singularly the worst performance I’ve ever seen by a player in a Stags shirt at Walsall away. Something was definitely up that day. It’s impossible to be a professional football and be that bad.

Yes, it’s known as playing the whole game and most of the previous game with an injury which then kept him out for nearly three months :lol:
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:43 am

Tawnystag wrote:Singularly the worst performance I’ve ever seen by a player in a Stags shirt at Walsall away. Something was definitely up that day. It’s impossible to be a professional football and be that bad.

Worse then Hewitt?
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:21 am

I think he might be amongst several who train with us over the summer who weeventually don't sign.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:12 pm

Richard Nartey has got to be better than what he showed in his two league starts for the Stags. He likes working with Nigel Clough so no harm in inviting him in for pre-season training.

We need another big top quality centre half signing though. We don't want to make the same mistake as last season. We should have signed two quality centre halfs in the summer transfer window after the Tom Naylor deal collapsed but if we had then we may not have signed John Joe O'Toole later. We should also have signed John Joe O'Toole much earlier. I think Nigel Clough mentioned that some of his backroom staff wanted to bring him in earlier. Nigel must have had a few doubts from John Joe playing at Burton.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Hitchcocks size 10s » Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:05 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:

Worse then Hewitt?

Funniest thing I’ve seen on a football pitch was when we played Walsall away and after a disastrous first half, the 2nd half was only a few minutes in when that Walsall striker literally put Nartey on his backside and then galloped away and scored the 3rd goal, while Nartey is still sat on his backside with his hands in the air claiming the player fouled him, Me and my lad was still laughing about it on the way home.
Hitchcocks size 10s
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby adamstag » Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:31 pm

If the lads been at burnley he’s obviously had something about him, somewhere.

whereas i don’t think we’ll see him playing for us, i find it hard to believe he was as bad as he was for us in those games.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Kernow » Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:10 am

Got to be better options out there.
Kernow
Manager
Manager

Postby zod » Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:24 am

He was terrible, if Clough signs him again he'd need to check-in at Millbrook.
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum