{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

rumours on new signings

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: rumours on new signings

Postby stagmanrob » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:57 pm

We desperately need one in.
Ideally I'd like a decent centre half so we can free up Hawkins as a striker.
Not only is Hawkins a decent striker, he scares me to death playing at the back and being relied upon to distribute the ball a lot.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:14 am

stagmanrob wrote:We desperately need one in.
Not only is Hawkins a decent striker, he scares me to death playing at the back and being relied upon to distribute the ball a lot.

Who could, in all honesty, disagree with that comment?
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby wink68 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:23 am

oldweststander wrote:

Nigel Clough.
wink68
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:28 am

wink68 wrote:
oldweststander wrote:

Nigel Clough.

never a truer word spoken
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Stagsfan11 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:45 pm

So according to this thread, we are a LWB, RWB, CB & a CF short? It’s gonna be a long season it seems!
Stagsfan11
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby wink68 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:09 pm

Stagsfan11 wrote:So according to this thread, we are a LWB, RWB, CB & a CF short? It’s gonna be a long season it seems!

Play everyone in their best position and we are a centre back short if we continue to play with 3.
wink68
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:42 pm

wink68 wrote:
Stagsfan11 wrote:So according to this thread, we are a LWB, RWB, CB & a CF short? It’s gonna be a long season it seems!

Play everyone in their best position and we are a centre back short if we continue to play with 3.

Again a quality CB short, i’m really at a loss why we int on this
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:02 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:
wink68 wrote:
oldweststander wrote:

Nigel Clough.

Don't you think he knows that.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:28 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:
wink68 wrote:
oldweststander wrote:

Nigel Clough.

Don't you think he knows that.

Hard to believe he does. In interviews he said he wasn't after a midfielder unless one went out. Signed one, none have gone out.
Then he claims Bowery can play anywhere, and fill in at centre half where necessary. So far he has made several defensive howlers in the few games he has been employed in a defensive position.
He signed Hawkins as a striker, but put him as a centre half when we had an injury crisis (fair enough) yet he has kept him there even though it is evident that it is not his best position and he terrifies you at times with his lack of pace and urgency.
He has only gone on record too as having said he is after a striker.

So going on what evidence we have, I don't think he does want another centre half no.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:19 am

Hartigan is a good signing. Clubs at a higher level than us were keen to sign him.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:23 am

Amber Andy wrote:Hartigan is a good signing. Clubs at a higher level than us were keen to sign him.

Yes he is.

I don’t think anyone is arguing with the quality of the signings we’ve made and they all have the potential to improve the team. It’s the balance around the defence that is causing the anxiety and doubts.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:37 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:Hartigan is a good signing. Clubs at a higher level than us were keen to sign him.

Yes he is.

I don’t think anyone is arguing with the quality of the signings we’ve made and they all have the potential to improve the team. It’s the balance around the defence that is causing the anxiety and doubts.

Could it be that the quality of centre half we undoubtedly require is proving hard to sign ? The targets were Brayford and Naylor.
Brayford is currently an integral part of Burton's side. The less said about Naylor the better.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:44 am

Amber Andy wrote:

Yes he is.

Could it be that the quality of centre half we undoubtedly require is proving hard to sign ? The targets were Brayford and Naylor.
Brayford is currently an integral part of Burton's side. The less said about Naylor the better.

Andy it’s the 22/23 season not last year. Those two targets went ages ago and I sincerely hope we have been looking at newer ones or we are truly lacking. I’m sure players have been identified and if one is signed I’ll be happy.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Gruff » Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:51 am

Just adjusting my tin hat....

Whilst I would love a new quality signing, this has to fit in with Clough's plans and the clubs budget. We obviously missed out on a quality forward, and Clough believes that DJ is either not match fit enough or does not fit the style of play we require.

As his Dad proved, you can convert centre forwards to centre backs (Kenny Burns), and that gives an awful lot of flexibility in the team without having to use substitutes, 5-3-2 to 4-3-3 with an additional proven forward on the pitch.

I actually like what Clough has done, and think the way we have been playing football over the past 10 months has been some of the best I've witnessed from the Stags. The standard of football in League 2 is by far the highest it has been for years, and I don't think knee-jerk signings (Grant, Murphy) is the ansewr

I think if the current squad can stay in touch with the leading pack up until Christmas, we might see somebody appear on a permanent basis during the next transfer window, but I am not personally expecting anything else to materialise before this window closes.
Gruff
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby part time pete » Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:18 am

yorkshire stag wrote:
wink68 wrote:

Surely he has just signed a number five, Hartigan has the number 5 shirt. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:01 pm

part time pete wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:
wink68 wrote:

Surely he has just signed a number five, Hartigan has the number 5 shirt. :lol: :lol: :lol:

:D you not be laughing when he plays him at CB, it’s been a blast this transfer window / not
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:21 pm

Amber Andy wrote:

Yes he is.

Andy it’s the 22/23 season not last year. Those two targets went ages ago and I sincerely hope we have been looking at newer ones or we are truly lacking. I’m sure players have been identified and if one is signed I’ll be happy.
Yes it is 22/23 season. The point I'm trying to make is that making quality signings is difficult. The same has happened this season with strikers and no doubt NC tried to get Brayford again. Had we got him or Naylor, Hawkins would have played up front and that could well have pushed us into the too three.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:05 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

Yes he is.

Yes it is 22/23 season. The point I'm trying to make is that making quality signings is difficult. The same has happened this season with strikers and no doubt NC tried to get Brayford again. Had we got him or Naylor, Hawkins would have played up front and that could well have pushed us into the too three.

then you learn from your mistakes, his plan B CB is ?
there are other options & teams
his stubbiness maybe is undoing, as has cost him in the past, i truly hope his CB search comes good i do
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:26 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

then you learn from your mistakes, his plan B CB is ?
there are other options & teams
his stubbiness maybe is undoing, as has cost him in the past, i truly hope his CB search comes good i do

I know he's put a few pounds on since his playing days but he's not that stubby.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:27 pm

Thing is... he has never mentioned he's after another centre back. He mentioned a striker in his last presser after the derby game.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:39 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:Thing is... he has never mentioned he's after another centre back. He mentioned a striker in his last presser after the derby game.

which is crackers when you have Hawkins, if it’s only one more in, then it has to be a CB if we are to persist with his mystical 3 at the back
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:41 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:Thing is... he has never mentioned he's after another centre back. He mentioned a striker in his last presser after the derby game.

which is crackers when you have Hawkins, if it’s only one more in, then it has to be a CB if we are to persist with his mystical 3 at the back

Let's wait and see. I think you might be disappointed. Anything could happen in these last 3 weeks of the window .
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Johnny H » Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:49 pm

Pierre from Shrewsbury would be ideal
I am sure he was released....but not sure if he is still a free agent
Johnny H
Manager
Manager

Postby IAmTheStag » Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:25 pm

We are definitely looking at someone. There was a guy with the full Mansfield training gear on walking around with George Cooper at the game Tuesday night. 100% confident it wasn’t someone from our staff or youth team. Smaller build than Cooper. Black ethnicity.
IAmTheStag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby daddycool » Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:43 am

Mendes Gomes at Luton is available for a loan excellent goal scorer at this level
daddycool
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum