{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

rumours on new signings

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: rumours on new signings

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:07 pm

I have no problem with the signing of Flinders or the probable signing of Brayford. However, the final two or three signings need to be young blood, with energy and pace.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:26 pm

Amber Andy wrote:I have no problem with the signing of Flinders or the probable signing of Brayford. However, the final two or three signings need to be young blood, with energy and pace.

They need to be whomever Nigel decides he wants. He knows what he's doing. If he signs another 3 oldies, I'll welcome them and reserve judgement until they play.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:57 pm

Amber Andy wrote:I have no problem with the signing of Flinders or the probable signing of Brayford. However, the final two or three signings need to be young blood, with energy and pace.

Agreed, in fairness it’s kinda obvious and i’m sure nigel will get some pace in, especially another defender and midfielder.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:28 pm

scotsstag wrote:
Captain Cunno wrote:A bit like broomo said Murphy would be our best player then...

Yep, and that Akins will score 15 goals a season easily in that league. :roll:

A lot were saying the same about Bowery and he came good after looking poor. A pre season under Clough will help
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:27 pm

Jacobs staying at Pompey
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby scotsstag » Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:40 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
scotsstag wrote:
Captain Cunno wrote:A bit like broomo said Murphy would be our best player then...

A lot were saying the same about Bowery and he came good after looking poor. A pre season under Clough will help

Akins has never scored 15 in a season anywhere in any division.
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby MOTG » Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:54 am

Elkesley Stag wrote:Akins will turn out to be a good sighing , it was just made at the wrong time .

I believe he will too mate
MOTG
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby oldweststander » Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:00 am

scotsstag wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
scotsstag wrote:

Not forgetting that Bowery missed most of pre season last year with Covid.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:07 am

scotsstag wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
scotsstag wrote:

I don't think he was just a striker for Burton so I think you're being harsh. Oates didn't manage 15 this season and he's been one of our best players. Akins will still contribute positively imo
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:38 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
scotsstag wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
scotsstag wrote:

I don't think he was just a striker for Burton so I think you're being harsh. Oates didn't manage 15 this season and he's been one of our best players. Akins will still contribute positively imo

Akins shown against Northamton away what he can add to the squad, as a right wing back, He spent 8 years at Burton and made a club record in appearances and goals scored in the football league.
Won two promotions and played in the Championship for Little old Burton for two seasons.
only got away from the league 1 club after three transfer request to join Mansfield.
Most of his goals scored came from right wing back, 14 goals in a Clough team is good, .and spent in higher division.
His only ambition is to help the team achieve their goal, whether from starting or from the bench,
And he has a two and a half year contract to do just that,
And Mansfield Town are delighted to sign him, that will do for me[
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:59 pm

Not a new signing rumour but maybe a blessing for our academy...

Derby (drink) takeover not happening, personally think Ashley will buy it, buy start on -20 and scrap all of their academy but currently coaches reluctantly looking at finding their youth players new clubs locally to go continue their development without much disruption to their careers. Could be us, county, forest etc all getting a handful of talented players for nothing
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:25 pm

Bish thanking the club for last season on his social media, is that his goodbye ?

Maris comments “what a club” under the video clip of the season looked a bit more promising, time will tell
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:26 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:Bish thanking the club for last season on his social media, is that his goodbye ?

Maris comments “what a club” under the video clip of the season looked a bit more promising, time will tell

Maris has already extended for a year, the club had an option on him Dave.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:28 pm

Rob wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:Bish thanking the club for last season on his social media, is that his goodbye ?

Ummm does that mean we would get a fee or happy to stay ?

hope it’s the latter mate
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:30 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:
Rob wrote:

All depends if a club comes in with a bid we are happy with ultimately.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:32 pm

Bishop did the same on instagram a day or two after the final. Just doing the same on twitter, adding he hadn't been on twitter for a while.

Maris was in the retained list, he is staying. Like any player, there could always be a bid during a transfer window, but I doubt it.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Rob » Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:32 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:
Rob wrote:

Well we'd get a fee if we sold him, but I suspect he'll be here next year. I'd hope the manager realises that his name is one of the first on the team sheet. As others have said, it wasn't necessarily the January signings that played poorly (though some did), but the bigger impact was what it had on the likes of Maris and Stirk, who had both been outstanding up until Feb/Mar.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:37 pm

bear 73 wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
scotsstag wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

Akins shown against Northamton away what he can add to the squad, as a right wing back, He spent 8 years at Burton and made a club record in appearances and goals scored in the football league.
Won two promotions and played in the Championship for Little old Burton for two seasons.
only got away from the league 1 club after three transfer request to join Mansfield.
Most of his goals scored came from right wing back, 14 goals in a Clough team is good, .and spent in higher division.
His only ambition is to help the team achieve their goal, whether from starting or from the bench,
And he has a two and a half year contract to do just that,
And Mansfield Town are delighted to sign him, that will do for me[

I'd be very happy with a back 3 and Akins and Gordon compete for RWB. I'd be more inclined to class Hewitt as a CB in a back 3. Big bonus is if we need to switch to a back 4 then Hewitt is more than capable to go in at right back. Just need LWB, as good as Macca is he won't play 90 minutes of every single game running up and down that left wing all game.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Ad » Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:10 pm

Agreed, I'd much prefer Hewitt as a third CB. His work rate is good but his positioning is sometimes poor at RB. Akins or Gordon helping him out on that side would cover that.
Amber Ad
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:32 pm

Amber Ad wrote:Agreed, I'd much prefer Hewitt as a third CB. His work rate is good but his positioning is sometimes poor at RB. Akins or Gordon helping him out on that side would cover that.

Would not play Hewitt at CB personally.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Johnny H » Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:49 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Amber Ad wrote:Agreed, I'd much prefer Hewitt as a third CB. His work rate is good but his positioning is sometimes poor at RB. Akins or Gordon helping him out on that side would cover that.

Hewitt was excellent at CB in the wins against Exeter and Bradford......far better CB than Hawkins
Johnny H
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:09 pm

Johnny H wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

Hewitt was excellent at CB in the wins against Exeter and Bradford......far better CB than Hawkins

Weren't there some absolute horror shows with him at CB? Those are two games he did play well, but Hawkins has played very well at centre back too most of the season so I disagree that Hewitt is far better
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:22 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Johnny H wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

Weren't there some absolute horror shows with him at CB? Those are two games he did play well, but Hawkins has played very well at centre back too most of the season so I disagree that Hewitt is far better

Hawkins is a liability in central defence against any team with pace , his distribution is shocking trying to play out.
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:24 pm

Billy the fish wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
Johnny H wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

Hawkins is a liability in central defence against any team with pace , his distribution is shocking trying to play out.

He still had a good season. He was better than Rawson anyway and I'm sure we will sign a new centre half.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:26 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Johnny H wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

He had a shocker of a second half against Bradford at home but wasn’t that at RB? I might be wrong. I too would rather he was at CB and get a decent RB. That would balance both sides of the pitch. Overall Hewitt was one of our consistent performers imo.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum