{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

rumours on new signings

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: rumours on new signings

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:25 pm

Exeter played Josh Key at CB on Saturday and had a load of youth teamers on the bench too, wonder what their message board is like ;) :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:28 pm

Marky Mark wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:At least we've moved on from the flitcroft Evans debate, its defender gate now :D

& wouldn’t we be a great side with a quality CB to command the back line

I'm genuinely getting to the point of wondering whether there's another Mansfield Town in a parallel universe that you actually watch, one without 5 centre backs, who haven't got 88 points in the last 44 games, where the manager has given some hint at all that he's looking at signing a commanding centre back to walk into the first team, that just happens to be out of contract.

We could not concede another goal for the rest of the season and he will still peddle the same line...

It's like when you know your in the wrong with your Mrs but won't ever admit for fear of the gloating from her :lol:
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:13 pm

but i’m not wrong & im not alone in thinking it too, by “luck” we have got through with those three not being injured & two of them are not CBs & the other is still learning

we are lucky atm with the defence not by good planning, or do the happy flappy clappy suck ups disagree with that too ?
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:25 pm

Yes I disagree with it.

You continue to bring up that Harbottle is still learning but not mentioning that so far he’s been pretty good. Hawkins I would say had been very good so far this season.

Hewitt, Perch and O’Toole (as has Hawkins) have all played over 50 games at centre back in their careers, and have all started in winning line ups this season.

We’ve 13 league games between now and the window opening, having already played ten. Our defensive record is not significantly worse than anyone other than Orient.

If three of them are unavailable at the same time then we may be in a bit of trouble, but that would be extremely unlucky.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:32 pm

so you are extremely happy with the quality of those three playing CB & don’t think we need to improve for a promotion achieving club this season ?
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Herts Stag » Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:53 pm

Moan, moan, moan about CB's and just remind me where are we in the table? We are more than adequately coping Yorkie. If we weren't I may join you in complaining. We have a flexible squad with players who can adapt. I know it's a silly comparison so don't jump down my throat, but Ajax operated on a similar basis with players who could play in may different positions. JJ was excellent last season and Ollie H has proved more than capable. Perchy shows his experience and not his age. Harbottle has also been very good and has a touch of class that shows why he was Forest's Under 23's. I guess you will still keep on with this big bee in your bonnet which is a shame because you normally post a lot of good sense.
Herts Stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Herts Stag » Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:55 pm

By the way Yorkie in answer to the question, I am happy with the CB's we have.
Herts Stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bear 73 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:56 pm

Just listened to the Clough interview and he again talks about quality not quantity and is happy to go with 19 outfield players.
A fact that some do not like we still have to work within budget, most teams if they dont score they are short of strikers.
Concede and you need better defenders, all clubs have this problem.
On sat we had two central defenders on the bench both have served us well.
On the BBC it said we have had the best start for 5 years and have had,
Law and Swan coming back from injury, and Boeteng, Oates, Hartigan a big miss from the squad.
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:56 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:so you are extremely happy with the quality of those three playing CB & don’t think we need to improve for a promotion achieving club this season ?

I’m content, yes.

You’ve already decided we won’t get promoted (massively sticking your neck out with an 83% chance of being right). I prefer to wait and see.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:22 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:but i’m not wrong & im not alone in thinking it too, by “luck” we have got through with those three not being injured & two of them are not CBs & the other is still learning

we are lucky atm with the defence not by good planning, or do the happy flappy clappy suck ups disagree with that too ?

It's going to be a long old season for you continually howling this at the moon when Clough has never given the slightest indication that he agrees with you - from Clough's perspective he thinks we have 5 centre-backs. Will there ever be a point where you accept that Clough doesn't want what you say we need, has never said we do, and that the luck you say we have is actually his design? 88 points from 44 games, 1 goal conceded in open play in the last 4 league games, 6th place in the league says he's right. You need to try another hobby, you'll never be happy. Enjoy the ride.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:37 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:but i’m not wrong & im not alone in thinking it too, by “luck” we have got through with those three not being injured & two of them are not CBs & the other is still learning

Happy clappy flappy suck ups?

Jesus Christ.

I've never understood why positive fans are painted as the enemy.

I understand it even less when we've got 88 points from the last 44 games and there's every reason to be positive.

In my opinion you suck the enjoyment out of football when it's there to be enjoyed.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:57 pm

Heard it all now, Yorksha stag is right and Cloughie wrong.

5 players playing for 3 positions, I'm happy. Other than Hawkins which one isn't a centre back anyway? Hawkins has done fine there so far this season aswell, just as he did last bar the only match that those who no better than the manager choose to remember
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:43 pm

broomo wrote:

Jesus Christ.

I understand it even less when we've got 88 points from the last 44 games and there's every reason to be positive.

In my opinion you suck the enjoyment out of football when it's there to be enjoyed.

“we’ve” got 88 points :lol: :lol: you a Mansfield fan now then ?
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:45 pm

Herts Stag wrote:By the way Yorkie in answer to the question, I am happy with the CB's we have.

you only answered half the question bud !
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:02 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:
broomo wrote:

Jesus Christ.

Yawn.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:18 pm

broomo wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:
broomo wrote:

Jesus Christ.

Yawn.

if ta cap fits :D
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:19 pm

Apparently Gareth Southgate has just announced that following his latest mistake against Germany, he is dropping Harry McGuire from his squad. No-one has to worry though as he has a ready made replacement in Harry Kane.

What a ludicrous idea that is.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:21 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:
broomo wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:
broomo wrote:

Jesus Christ.

Yawn.

if ta cap fits :D

Yawn.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:25 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Apparently Gareth Southgate has just announced that following his latest mistake against Germany, he is dropping Harry McGuire from his squad. No-one has to worry though as he has a ready made replacement in Harry Kane.

Apparently there's 5 centre backs at a football club that has got 88 points out of the last 44, conceded one goal from open play in the last 4 league games, reached their highest finish in 20 years and are 6th in the league - but some people wont accept that they're centre backs, even though most of them have played more games at centre back for the club than any other position, because they say they aren't.

Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:04 pm

Marky Mark wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Apparently Gareth Southgate has just announced that following his latest mistake against Germany, he is dropping Harry McGuire from his squad. No-one has to worry though as he has a ready made replacement in Harry Kane.

Apparently there's 5 centre backs at a football club that has got 88 points out of the last 44, conceded one goal from open play in the last 4 league games, reached their highest finish in 20 years and are 6th in the league - but some people wont accept that they're centre backs, even though most of them have played more games at centre back for the club than any other position, because they say they aren't.

If we get through the season and achieve automatic promotion without signing a centre back then I will declare Nigel a God.

The fact that we have only conceded one goal from open play is down to atrocious finishing particularly by Carlisle along with some good play by our recognised centre half. It is not down to our defence being super efficient. In respect of gaining 88 points that is not in the same season and has got us precisely nowhere so far. Additionally we have a different team from last year’s. 6th position is not our stated aim and if we finish there we will have fallen short of our ultimate goal.

We will not be able to judge this point until the season has run it’s course and if you are correct, you may laugh all you want to then. I will not be laughing if I am correct.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:16 pm

So weird that some are so hard up to give praise.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:25 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
Marky Mark wrote:

If we get through the season and achieve automatic promotion without signing a centre back then I will declare Nigel a God.

The fact that we have only conceded one goal from open play is down to atrocious finishing particularly by Carlisle along with some good play by our recognised centre half. It is not down to our defence being super efficient. In respect of gaining 88 points that is not in the same season and has got us precisely nowhere so far. Additionally we have a different team from last year’s. 6th position is not our stated aim and if we finish there we will have fallen short of our ultimate goal.

We will not be able to judge this point until the season has run it’s course and if you are correct, you may laugh all you want to then. I will not be laughing if I am correct.

I guess the difference is that I feel he’s done enough to earn up front faith, and you’re waiting till he delivers.
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:37 pm

Wish I had a time machine and could take a few of you back to the Dempster and Coughlan era.. not saying Clough is perfect but jeez those two nearly took us down a division back to that hell hole. Could make some realise that we're in good hands right now and there are so many more positives than negatives right now.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby halifaxstag » Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:15 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
yorkstag wrote:Hawkins gets some v unfair criticism as does Wallace. We are doing fine and as someone said we can look again in Jan.

Wallace is a good squad player. Great cross from him on Saturday. Don't think he'll set the league on fire, but will do a good enough job for us when called upon.

And Wallace can play centre back as well….
halifaxstag
First Team
First Team

Postby Rob » Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:28 pm

halifaxstag wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
yorkstag wrote:Hawkins gets some v unfair criticism as does Wallace. We are doing fine and as someone said we can look again in Jan.

Wallace is a good squad player. Great cross from him on Saturday. Don't think he'll set the league on fire, but will do a good enough job for us when called upon.

And Wallace can play centre back as well….

So can Bowery and Macca, no doubt Maris could give it a craic too, so in fact we have 9 centre backs. Dunno what the fuss is about :lol:
Rob
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum