{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

rumours on new signings

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: rumours on new signings

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:33 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
Marky Mark wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Apparently Gareth Southgate has just announced that following his latest mistake against Germany, he is dropping Harry McGuire from his squad. No-one has to worry though as he has a ready made replacement in Harry Kane.

What a ludicrous idea that is.

Apparently there's 5 centre backs at a football club that has got 88 points out of the last 44, conceded one goal from open play in the last 4 league games, reached their highest finish in 20 years and are 6th in the league - but some people wont accept that they're centre backs, even though most of them have played more games at centre back for the club than any other position, because they say they aren't.

If we get through the season and achieve automatic promotion without signing a centre back then I will declare Nigel a God.

The fact that we have only conceded one goal from open play is down to atrocious finishing particularly by Carlisle along with some good play by our recognised centre half. It is not down to our defence being super efficient. In respect of gaining 88 points that is not in the same season and has got us precisely nowhere so far. Additionally we have a different team from last year’s. 6th position is not our stated aim and if we finish there we will have fallen short of our ultimate goal.

We will not be able to judge this point until the season has run it’s course and if you are correct, you may laugh all you want to then. I will not be laughing if I am correct.

Second least shots against in the whole league would suggest otherwise.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:02 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
Marky Mark wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Apparently Gareth Southgate has just announced that following his latest mistake against Germany, he is dropping Harry McGuire from his squad. No-one has to worry though as he has a ready made replacement in Harry Kane.

Apparently there's 5 centre backs at a football club that has got 88 points out of the last 44, conceded one goal from open play in the last 4 league games, reached their highest finish in 20 years and are 6th in the league - but some people wont accept that they're centre backs, even though most of them have played more games at centre back for the club than any other position, because they say they aren't.

If we get through the season and achieve automatic promotion without signing a centre back then I will declare Nigel a God.

The fact that we have only conceded one goal from open play is down to atrocious finishing particularly by Carlisle along with some good play by our recognised centre half. It is not down to our defence being super efficient. In respect of gaining 88 points that is not in the same season and has got us precisely nowhere so far. Additionally we have a different team from last year’s. 6th position is not our stated aim and if we finish there we will have fallen short of our ultimate goal.

We will not be able to judge this point until the season has run it’s course and if you are correct, you may laugh all you want to then. I will not be laughing if I am correct.

Many of which have been prevented by defending from the front and our superb midfield. I am not saying Clough is not the man nor am I failing to give credit where it is due.

I watch the older members of our defence and the number of times they are miles off their man is frankly frightening. Yes they are very good when the ball is in the air but play it quickly along the ground and they just can’t cope. As the season progresses opponents will exploit this weakness and will run at us.

As I say, judgement will come in May and until then none of us know what develops.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:18 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
Marky Mark wrote:

Many of which have been prevented by defending from the front and our superb midfield. I am not saying Clough is not the man nor am I failing to give credit where it is due.

I watch the older members of our defence and the number of times they are miles off their man is frankly frightening. Yes they are very good when the ball is in the air but play it quickly along the ground and they just can’t cope. As the season progresses opponents will exploit this weakness and will run at us.

As I say, judgement will come in May and until then none of us know what develops.

You're so so so close to getting it Sandy
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:41 am

Mark

I’ve understood all along what the plan is. I just don’t agree that it will ultimately be successful as other teams will adapt their style when they play us.

Our stated aim is to be a top three side and that means we will need to win a large chunk of our games. I accept that we don’t need additional strikers and I believe this strategy will succeed against the weaker teams who don’t have pace players on their books. I just believe that there will be enough sides who will exploit this part of our squad to prevent us from getting up automatically. My argument is that by signing an all round centre half, our chances of success will increase substantially.

We are not entitled to promotion and will have to work extremely hard to achieve it. I honestly can’t see why we wouldn’t spend a small part of the overall budget on a recognised player. Failure on this outlay would be a total waste of the whole season’s expenditure as we may as well just build a cheaper squad which is good enough to survive. Promotion and sustained growth is our aim so let’s get it by investing in a suitable tool.

Of course the thing that others don’t get is the fact that if we are fortunate enough to get promotion with these defenders, they will have to be replaced for next season anyway. Signing players as a league 1 club will cost more anyway, so where is the actual saving?
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:08 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Mark

I’ve understood all along what the plan is. I just don’t agree that it will ultimately be successful as other teams will adapt their style when they play us.

Our stated aim is to be a top three side and that means we will need to win a large chunk of our games. I accept that we don’t need additional strikers and I believe this strategy will succeed against the weaker teams who don’t have pace players on their books. I just believe that there will be enough sides who will exploit this part of our squad to prevent us from getting up automatically. My argument is that by signing an all round centre half, our chances of success will increase substantially.

We are not entitled to promotion and will have to work extremely hard to achieve it. I honestly can’t see why we wouldn’t spend a small part of the overall budget on a recognised player. Failure on this outlay would be a total waste of the whole season’s expenditure as we may as well just build a cheaper squad which is good enough to survive. Promotion and sustained growth is our aim so let’s get it by investing in a suitable tool.

Of course the thing that others don’t get is the fact that if we are fortunate enough to get promotion with these defenders, they will have to be replaced for next season anyway. Signing players as a league 1 club will cost more anyway, so where is the actual saving?

As you and I have no idea of the overall budget and specific payments to individuals then we just have to trust young Nigel’s judgement and constraints he is working with.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby broomo » Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:12 pm

Sorry to be rude but what are you waffling on about. You're seriously and regularly putting your knowledge of how to assemble promotion winning/challenging squads ahead of a man who has won 4 promotions and got to the play offs with 3 different sides?

This time last season, we'd conceded 3 goals 5 times, so far this season? Zero.

We're averaging 1.9 points a game, we've won 9 points coming from behind and are already 10 points ahead of where we were after 10 games.

At some point you're going to have to admit we have a better team (and squad) than last year and last year we were mighty close.

Who are these stronger sides who are going to exploit our weak central defence and stop us from going up? Who are these pacey attackers who are going to tear us apart? You're so sure it's going to happen, name the teams and players. At least name the teams who play better, quicker football than us.

So far there are 18 teams weaker than us, based on the league table.

Where is this "credit where it's due" you speak of?

You keep saying (now) it will only be May when we can judge properly yet you're going to judge every defeat and every draw in between now and then as a sign you're right and the manager is wrong in not signing a central defender?

You're already writing promotion off and if by some chance we do sign a centre half in January and then go up, you're going to claim "I told you so"?

It's too daft to laugh at.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:28 pm

Don't always agree with you broomo as you well know but that post is pretty much bang on...

Unfortunately Sandy, Yorkshire and the rest of the we need a centre half gang will always be lurking with the "I told you so " posts saved as a draft..

Let's hope they never get to press "submit".
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:39 pm

I think Clough is on record as saying that if someone comes along that will strengthen the group then he will look at it. I think Hartigan was an example of that, where he wasn't looking for a midfielder but one came available that was in his future plans and he took him now when he was available rather than lose him to another club to a 2 or 3 year contract. Pym and Boateng are also players that I think Sharpe said were players they'd identified for when we were in League One but became available so we took them now instead of losing them to other clubs. Which ultimately means that signing a player in any position isn't out of the question if one comes available, but also means that he's not openly looking.
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:48 pm

Do you cheer when we score Sandy, or do you wait until the end of the season to make sure the cheering is worth it?
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:39 pm

Ok Broomo

Orient, Northampton, Salford and Bradford will finish above us. Stevenage will at least match us.

Grimsby, Carlisle and possibly Doncaster will be there abouts. We may or may not make the playoffs but that is not our stated aim. I don’t think we will make top three.

Crewe, Sutton, Swindon and possibly Tranmere are also in with a shout but I think will ultimately fall short.

1.9 points per game is a very sound return but currently only has us in 6th position which again is not the stated aim. Obviously that would not be the case if we carried that return until the end of the season and it should be enough for promotion. Other teams will be thinking exactly the same as they have better returns thus far.

You state this squad is better than last year’s but I disagree when it comes to defence. Perch, O’Toole and Macca are well down on their performances with the first two being miles away from last year’s efforts. The saving grace has been Hewitt playing in the middle (although I think him even better at full/wing back) coupled with the acquisition of Harbottle. If both those two play every match, we will probably be ok but not if either or both are missing. Gordon adds pace but unfortunately is not the best when he has to defend.

You obviously don’t think Nigel has a mistake in him and will defend him to the end but he has and does make them here. He chose the wrong team against Port Vale who did their homework and exploited us exactly in the way I suggest will happen again. He has frozen players out of the club with no apparent logic who have gone on to succeed at new clubs including those in higher divisions. We do not and never will know why but he should at least have had replacements prior to departure. I agree he has brought outstanding players into the club but has also had a few duffs which, being fair, happens to the best. What disappoints most is failing to fill areas of the squad which he himself stated needed strengthening.

You are wrong in as much as I don’t think I know more than Nigel but I just can’t understand why he feels he can shoehorn favourites into his team and still achieve equally high standards.

Mark

Of course I celebrate goals and success but that doesn’t mean I don’t see potential pitfalls and weaknesses. We have no divine right to win merely by turning up.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:48 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Ok Broomo

Orient, Northampton, Salford and Bradford will finish above us. Stevenage will at least match us.

Grimsby, Carlisle and possibly Doncaster will be there abouts. We may or may not make the playoffs but that is not our stated aim. I don’t think we will make top three.

Crewe, Sutton, Swindon and possibly Tranmere are also in with a shout but I think will ultimately fall short.

1.9 points per game is a very sound return but currently only has us in 6th position which again is not the stated aim. Obviously that would not be the case if we carried that return until the end of the season and it should be enough for promotion. Other teams will be thinking exactly the same as they have better returns thus far.

You state this squad is better than last year’s but I disagree when it comes to defence. Perch, O’Toole and Macca are well down on their performances with the first two being miles away from last year’s efforts. The saving grace has been Hewitt playing in the middle (although I think him even better at full/wing back) coupled with the acquisition of Harbottle. If both those two play every match, we will probably be ok but not if either or both are missing. Gordon adds pace but unfortunately is not the best when he has to defend.

You obviously don’t think Nigel has a mistake in him and will defend him to the end but he has and does make them here. He chose the wrong team against Port Vale who did their homework and exploited us exactly in the way I suggest will happen again. He has frozen players out of the club with no apparent logic who have gone on to succeed at new clubs including those in higher divisions. We do not and never will know why but he should at least have had replacements prior to departure. I agree he has brought outstanding players into the club but has also had a few duffs which, being fair, happens to the best. What disappoints most is failing to fill areas of the squad which he himself stated needed strengthening.

You are wrong in as much as I don’t think I know more than Nigel but I just can’t understand why he feels he can shoehorn favourites into his team and still achieve equally high standards.

Mark

Of course I celebrate goals and success but that doesn’t mean I don’t see potential pitfalls and weaknesses. We have no divine right to win merely by turning up.

Do you know the winning numbers for euro millions this Friday mate?
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby AshoverStag » Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:55 pm

I really cannot see the relevance of context of posts. Surely a lot of these posts should be in

Can we finish top 3

This is a rumours of new signings thread and as there isn’t any why not start a thread named

“Nigel/ team selection/ depth of squad/top 3/Poster squabbling” :lol:

Or just call it Posters Squabbling :lol: :lol:

On a serious note - why not admin temporarily close the thread until January
When you think you know the answers, I change the questions
AshoverStag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:04 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:

Mark

I’ll pm them to you on Saturday :D.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby AshoverStag » Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:10 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:

Mark

I’ll pm them to you on Saturday :D.

Or post on a rumour of a new signing, as Lottery has nothing to do with the thread either :lol: :lol: :lol:

Please please let the next post be new signing related…….hopefully posted in late December

I can only hope
When you think you know the answers, I change the questions
AshoverStag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Rob » Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:01 pm

We won't be signing anyone in January because the current squad is definitely large enough and has plenty of depth ........ apparently :lol:
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:05 pm

Rob wrote:We won't be signing anyone in January because the current squad is definitely large enough and has plenty of depth ........ apparently :lol:

I can see us getting a couple in. Could depend on injuries but Clough always says if the right player becomes available he'd go for them. We might go back in for Jaiyesemi (spelling) :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:10 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Rob wrote:We won't be signing anyone in January because the current squad is definitely large enough and has plenty of depth ........ apparently :lol:

I can see us getting a couple in. Could depend on injuries but Clough always says if the right player becomes available he'd go for them. We might go back in for Jaiyesemi (spelling) :lol:

But why would we, the squad, according to you, Mark and others is complete, full, no room at the Inn, no need for a CB as we have 62, don't need a striker, got 46 of them. All our work is done, it was a perfect summer transfer window, wasn't it?
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:12 pm

Rob wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

But why would we, the squad, according to you, Mark and others is complete, full, no room at the Inn, no need for a CB as we have 62, don't need a striker, got 46 of them. All our work is done, it was a perfect summer transfer window, wasn't it?

I said I'm happy with the squad as it is, always open to improvements on the squad but me stamping my feet on here isn't going to change anything.. don't get why you have to be so pissy with my opinions.

I'm trying to be civil with you and have a conversation about stags, but you constantly want to either pull me up agreeing with broomo with childish remarks or how you just replied now.
Last edited by bobbystagsfan on Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:12 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:

If Longstaff Murphy type, no thanks
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Stag95 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:50 pm

The free transfer market is dead, can’t honestly think of a single player that’ll improve us. Baring in mind they’ll be asking for a premium since clubs have no other options.
Stag95
Manager
Manager

Postby Tre Cool » Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:42 pm

Is Rhys Bennett still available? I'd take him on a free and push Hawkins up top.
Tre Cool
First Team
First Team

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:18 pm

Tre Cool wrote:Is Rhys Bennett still available? I'd take him on a free and push Hawkins up top.

get ya tin hat ready, how dare you suggest we could do with an actual CB, oh hang on can he play striker i know he’s a blast at Fifa so you never know !
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:37 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:
Tre Cool wrote:Is Rhys Bennett still available? I'd take him on a free and push Hawkins up top.

get ya tin hat ready, how dare you suggest we could do with an actual CB, oh hang on can he play striker i know he’s a blast at Fifa so you never know !

Anyone wanna pull the stats up again?
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:14 am

I’m hoping we don’t sign anyone in January because that month has cursed us on a few occasions with this manager & a previous one I’m not allowed to mention.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:25 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:

Anyone wanna pull the stats up again?

They don't let the stats get in the way of their crusade Bobby , that's clear for us to see..

I wonder if we are sitting pretty in the top 3 in January , (which current form suggests we will ) they will let it lie....
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum