{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

rumours on new signings

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: rumours on new signings

Postby Billy the fish » Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:49 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
S7AGS wrote:
arsene wengers coat wrote:We came 7th.

So we need to improve. Status quo gets us to 7th again. We need 3 quality players IMO.

Not sure status quo gets you 7th again… Clough seems to think it, loads of fans same but it won’t work like that, the ‘existing’ team is now minus some key names and they’re all a little bit older especially Quinn who was best player and made Macca much better.
We’ve signed Boetang good signing but in reality doesn’t strengthen the 11 as we don’t need midfielders… critical we sign a proper CB a winger and a striker… anyone really think we’ll not go on a bad run at some point coupled with going on another record breaking running streak? Won’t happen without strengthening

A few things I would say to that.

You’re not considering the prospect of the younger/prime players in the squad improving, just the ageing players getting worse.

You say we need a winger and a striker. One of those wouldn’t play every week in the current systems we used so one is unlikely to be of star quality.

And finally, we wouldn’t need to go on a record breaking run, the wins could be spread out evenly throughout the season. It’s also equally, if not more unlikely that we’ll go 12 games without a win.

Good point but all ifs and buts the reality though is we need better additions to the squad , this season will be tougher and with the current squad I expect mid table .. my opinion that’s all
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby S7AGS » Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:58 pm

The reality is, most would have considered us better the Vale most of the season, yet we were shown up in the final for not having a promotion worthy side, total lack of pace/legs/energy whatever you want to call it…. Lacking a confident experienced keeper (bishop was good but not trendy to say did let some in that really should have been kept out, maybe that evened up over season) , not good enough defensively by a long shot (pace, height, mobility, positioning), way to wasteful in front of goal and an easy one to fix, a poor mid field due to not playing key players in the squad over garbage brought in jan (Maris/lapslie the main ones, O Clarke another… play them fgs)
S7AGS
First Team
First Team

Postby HitchcocksShins » Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:03 pm

S7AGS wrote:The reality is, most would have considered us better the Vale most of the season, yet we were shown up in the final for not having a promotion worthy side, total lack of pace/legs/energy whatever you want to call it…. Lacking a confident experienced keeper (bishop was good but not trendy to say did let some in that really should have been kept out, maybe that evened up over season) , not good enough defensively by a long shot (pace, height, mobility, positioning), way to wasteful in front of goal and an easy one to fix, a poor mid field due to not playing key players in the squad over garbage brought in jan (Maris/lapslie the main ones, O Clarke another… play them fgs)

Responses to this should be good fun.
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:17 pm

S7AGS wrote:The reality is, most would have considered us better the Vale most of the season, yet we were shown up in the final for not having a promotion worthy side, total lack of pace/legs/energy whatever you want to call it…. Lacking a confident experienced keeper (bishop was good but not trendy to say did let some in that really should have been kept out, maybe that evened up over season) , not good enough defensively by a long shot (pace, height, mobility, positioning), way to wasteful in front of goal and an easy one to fix, a poor mid field due to not playing key players in the squad over garbage brought in jan (Maris/lapslie the main ones, O Clarke another… play them fgs)

Although tempting given the magnitude of the game, you can’t judge a whole season on the failings of 90 minutes.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Johnny H » Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:19 pm

HitchcocksShins wrote:

Responses to this should be good fun.

The only response needed is that he's absolutely spot on !!!
Which makes the decision from NC not to play them even more bizarre is that he has kept a few of them at the club when we all expected him to release them (Maris and Clarke).
We should be building this side around Maris...he is the best footballer at the club, he wants the ball and makes us tick.
My biggest fear is we will still play the diamond at home and 451 away which means Oates is isolated too much up top.....that is one of the main reasons our away form was near relegation form for most of the season.

Far too many rose tinted glasses with NC...he did brilliant to get us to the play offs, but we lost them mostly because of his stubborness in his team selections and lets not forget he was the manager too when we were next to bottom too.

We are crying out for cover at left back......If Wallace can play there, why the hell didnt he last season, we need at least two centre half, we havent signed any yet and NC states we are only signing one.

I hear the Stirk deal is not yet dead in the water either (no matter what NC says, discussions have been had on another loan deal with a view to a permanent signing), why though god only knows cos we don't need him, we need players in different positions.
Johnny H
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:23 pm

why on earth would he release Maris or Clarke?

People do realise we needed signings in January because the likes of Maris, Clarke and laps weren't fit, match fit or in form... when those you bring in play a number of games you cant just slot those other three back in and expect everything to pick up where it was before they stopped featuring.

People really are overreacting and forgetting most of the season over a handful of games post Jan, Mainly the play off final which is now the 21/22 season narrative from 90 minutes.

We got 7th and to Wembley with a very unsettled side and had a bizarre number of injuries/ suspensions. The base of the squad is more than good enough.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:23 am

I agree with that
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:31 am

Anyone think we’ll announce a signing this week whilst they’re in Scotland or are we somehow going to have to wait another week until they’re back? :lol:
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby zod » Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:42 am

Cleveland_Stag wrote:Anyone think we’ll announce a signing this week whilst they’re in Scotland or are we somehow going to have to wait another week until they’re back? :lol:

New signings may already be in Scotland with the team ;)
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby 1970Stag » Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:43 am

I'm another in the camp that is not totally convinced we are going to do brilliantly this season.
This squad wasn't good enough to get us promoted last season, and are all a year older and the possibility of injuries?
We cry out for some pace and mobility and I've yet to see it come in.
I'm hoping the gk signed is a back up, but Boateng ticks a lot of boxes. Defence is old and slow at times, Hawkins isn't a cbk against pace, and we lack options upfront.
I'm hoping we get in 3 good signings that aren't young lads from Forest to keep the bench warm.
At the moment I'm thinking mid table at best, and hopefully we dont go on another disastrous run again.
1970Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:45 am

Fully agree with last poster
It’s basically same as last season at the moment and it was not enough but leaving to Clough who we trust ….. don’t we ?
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:33 am

Christ you'd have thought we finished 23rd with some of these replies.

Stop flipping worrying, season hasn't even begun yet.

We'll sign another good league one player and then everyone will start talking about walking the league, is my guess.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:45 am

There is still ample time in the transfer window to sign key players.

Best to wait and see. Then assess the squad once the season starts.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:01 am

In 24 seasons of management he has improved the teams finishing position from one season to the next 20 times.

My money is on it being 21 out of 25 come this time next year.

Whenever the signings are announced.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:04 am

Plenty of time left to see who comes in.
If hypothetically the season was starting (and window closing) tomorrow, I don't think we have enough quality as it stands in central defence or up front to get top 7 given what other teams have invested in, and looking at the calibre of the additions from the conference and those that came down. Tougher this season. Wembley was a big opportunity missed.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:19 am

broomo wrote:In 24 seasons of management he has improved the teams finishing position from one season to the next 20 times.

I think so too
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby robbingdog » Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:31 am

I always wondered if it was in Longstaff and Murphy’s deals that they
had to play if fit. Maybe that was the reason why they played every
game even when not in form

Maybe, I don’t know, maybe I’m barking up the wrong tree

Anyway, I’m looking forward to the forthcoming season and saying we
will just be a mid table side because they’re all a year older is daft, we missed
out on auto promotion on the last day, have faith COYS
robbingdog
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bear 73 » Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:52 am

In May 2021 Closugh and Sharpe said our aim is to challenge for promotion, and they delivered with a trip to a Wembley final.
The final is history now we move on.
They also said we are putting building blocks in place for a sustainable future of the club,
It seems with season ticket sales fans have a bond with the club and relate to it wont happen overnight,
New signings go with departures and we have Akins - Hawkins-Bowery-Oates-Johnson-Gale-Knowles thats 7 forwards on our books.
Perhaps someone has to go first
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:55 am

bear 73 wrote:In May 2021 Closugh and Sharpe said our aim is to challenge for promotion, and they delivered with a trip to a Wembley final.
The final is history now we move on.
They also said we are putting building blocks in place for a sustainable future of the club,
It seems with season ticket sales fans have a bond with the club and relate to it wont happen overnight,
New signings go with departures and we have Akins - Hawkins-Bowery-Oates-Johnson-Gale-Knowles thats 7 forwards on our books.
Perhaps someone has to go first

Well knowles and Gale will go on loan,
Johnson will leave one way or another (loan or perm)
Hawkins clearly preferred as a defensive option.

so that leaves Akins, Bowery and oates...
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:56 am

Never understood folk who make judgements about what our team will be like next season when we’ve another month left until the start of the season.

It’s a little like saying a painting is crap when it’s only half completed, wait until you see the full picture and you can make an assessment.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:59 am

adamstag wrote:Never understood folk who make judgements about what our team will be like next season when we’ve another month left until the start of the season.

It’s a little like saying a painting is crap when it’s only half completed, wait until you see the full picture and you can make an assessment.

Yep, that's my take, it's a bit pointless really!
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:20 pm

I think the long wait for the two prem loan signings to be announced and the fact that Harbottle and Swan have travelled with the Forest squad to Spain further suggests that those two players will indeed be the loan signings we make, rather than them being from another prem club. I’d assume they’ll both be announced next week when we’re back from Scotland and they’re back from Spain.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MOTG » Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:17 pm

I’d agree on that one
MOTG
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Big yella » Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:36 pm

broomo wrote:In 24 seasons of management he has improved the teams finishing position from one season to the next 20 times.

That is an amazing stat.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:55 pm

Cleveland_Stag wrote:I think the long wait for the two prem loan signings to be announced and the fact that Harbottle and Swan have travelled with the Forest squad to Spain further suggests that those two players will indeed be the loan signings we make, rather than them being from another prem club. I’d assume they’ll both be announced next week when we’re back from Scotland and they’re back from Spain.

Just seen on Twitter - Harbottle has travelled with Forest to Spain but not Will Swan.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum