{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

rumours on new signings

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: rumours on new signings

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:00 am

stagmanrob wrote:And no matter how much Clough factors in Hawkins as a centre half, he scares the life out of the majority of us playing there, far more than Rawson ever did. If Rawson was susceptible to a mistake, then how do you judge Hawkins? He's a great option at centre half against the hoof ball teams, but beyond that, please god no.

Oli Hawkins would have chopped Josh Neufville down and prevented the 1st goal at Sutton :lol:
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:04 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
stagmanrob wrote:And no matter how much Clough factors in Hawkins as a centre half, he scares the life out of the majority of us playing there, far more than Rawson ever did. If Rawson was susceptible to a mistake, then how do you judge Hawkins? He's a great option at centre half against the hoof ball teams, but beyond that, please god no.

Oli Hawkins would have chopped Josh Neufville down and prevented the 1st goal at Sutton :lol:

Nah, he wouldn’t have got close enough :D

I think you are probably correct though unless he expected the others to have him covered.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:09 am

Dan wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:
broomo wrote:
BigGuy wrote:
broomo wrote:
I'm happy to take a bet from anyone that we'll finish at worst top 5. I'll match whatever the stake and whoever loses donates the money to a charity of the winners choice?.

Quite a safe bet considering if we arent top half, Mr Clough won’t be here and you will sail into the sunset.

It's not like I'm anonymous. There are at least 20 posters on here who know who I am "in real life".

If Nigel gets the sack before the season ends and we are outside of the top 5, I'll honour the bet even from the sunset.

If we're top 5 and he's still sacked I think we'd all agree that would be ridiculous.

Top 5 and still sacked would be ridiculous? I wouldn't bet on that chief. We finished 4th a few years ago and sacked the manager after 15 months in charge including breaking club records and hamstrung by previous managers players out injured or dragging their heels.

It's not that ridiculous a notion.

These bets are ridiculous. They become null and void once we sign/sell a player because, like last season, Clough might realise we need a defender and sign one reversing our fortunes and propelling us up the table. Even if we don't sign anybody before January I can't see Clough not making changes in January. If I'm being honest.

What records were they?

OK I shouldn't have used plural, in my defence it was the last night of the holiday and we had a few drinks :D.

On the stagsnet record page He's holds the record for 15 games unbeaten away. He went 17 unbeaten overall, the record for that is 20 which was set in the 70s.

Another mention on there is 5 consecutive away draws early in the 18/19 season, which is the same record as Paul Cox got in 11/12 season. Also we drew 5 away in 1949.

So yeah holds one record. Still having 1 record from Feb 2018 to May 2019 is an achievement
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:13 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:How many players have had very few EFL league appearances and come straight into a League 2 side and played regularly and won promotion?

I'll research this later. The only ones I can immediately think of are:

Bristol Rovers 2021-2022
Elliott Anderson (Midfield) 20(1) league apps and 7 goals
Connor Taylor (Centre Half) 41 (1) league apps and 3 goals

Cheltenham 2020-2021
Josh Griffiths (Goalkeeper) 44 league starts
Finn Azaz (Midfield) 27(10) league starts

Chris Greenacre ? :roll:
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:18 am

Dave Wayne wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:How many players have had very few EFL league appearances and come straight into a League 2 side and played regularly and won promotion?

I'll research this later. The only ones I can immediately think of are:

Bristol Rovers 2021-2022
Elliott Anderson (Midfield) 20(1) league apps and 7 goals
Connor Taylor (Centre Half) 41 (1) league apps and 3 goals

Cheltenham 2020-2021
Josh Griffiths (Goalkeeper) 44 league starts
Finn Azaz (Midfield) 27(10) league starts

Chris Greenacre ? :roll:

Adam Murray
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:19 am

Chris Greenacre had 30 league apps before joining the Stags and we did not win promotion in his first season
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:36 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:Since when did league appearances and experience become a replacement thing?

You let a striker go, you bring one in... that's a replacement.

You let Rawson go, we bring in Harbottle... that's a replacement.

I'm a right back, they could bring me in to replace Hewitt if he gets injured. I'm in my early 50's, one bad knee, but reckon I could do a job. You're point is, of course, nonsense Bobby :lol:
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby diablo » Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:05 am

Statistics statistics statistics...can be arranged , distorted , enhanced...the only statistic I can rely on is the League Table after 46 games..what we achieved last Season is for the record books..We are still in League 2 and that is an unquestionable statistic...Mr Clough is a Human being and therefore makes mistakes...but nobody makes mistakes on purpose especially in Football and I am absolutely certain the current Manager wants success...100% certain..whether he actually has the ability to succeed is a different argument and like many posters here I do question that ability at times especially with his team selections however he stands or Falls on his ability and experience to pick a winning side...Today at Doncaster will be a stern test and he has said he will change the tactics to try and halt the losing away run...here's hoping COYS
diablo
First Team
First Team

Postby stagmanrob » Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:41 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:

I think you are probably correct though unless he expected the others to have him covered.

That is the issue with Hawkins actually. He has to be close enough as he is by far and away the slowest player on our books, so much so that all the banter from the other players is about his lack of pace.

I actually thought (as I believe so many others did as well -especially on here) that the switch to 3 centre halves was to accomodate Hawkins there to nullify his weaknesses.

With injuries, and enforced changes, Hawkins has rightfully found himself back where we all thought he should be.
There should be no doubt that he is better off as a striker now. Strikers are judged on goals to minute ratios.
Hawkins' ratio is already skewed because he spent most of the Derby game at centre half. He was thrown up front and pretty quickly showed what he could do. His goal against Sutton was also a goal that I don't feel any other players we have in attacking roles would have stuck away.
So thus far, his minutes played actually up front to goal ratio would be quite good.

So now Hawkins is cementing a place up front (where he should be) then why do we need to persevere with 3 at the back? If we all thought it was for his benefit, it appears that can't be the case if he isn't playing there....it looks as though it is strangely a tactical decision by Clough - baffling if so given the success we had not playing such last season?!?

I say all this, and you just know he'll be in the middle of a back three at Donny now :lol:
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:55 am

I agree that Hawkins is a better striker than a defender but I don’t think the team play better with him as a striker. Too much temptation to just lob it up to him. That opinion is based on a small sample size though so maybe the team would adjust accordingly.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:35 am

stagmanrob wrote:

That is the issue with Hawkins actually. He has to be close enough as he is by far and away the slowest player on our books, so much so that all the banter from the other players is about his lack of pace.

I actually thought (as I believe so many others did as well -especially on here) that the switch to 3 centre halves was to accomodate Hawkins there to nullify his weaknesses.

With injuries, and enforced changes, Hawkins has rightfully found himself back where we all thought he should be.
There should be no doubt that he is better off as a striker now. Strikers are judged on goals to minute ratios.
Hawkins' ratio is already skewed because he spent most of the Derby game at centre half. He was thrown up front and pretty quickly showed what he could do. His goal against Sutton was also a goal that I don't feel any other players we have in attacking roles would have stuck away.
So thus far, his minutes played actually up front to goal ratio would be quite good.

So now Hawkins is cementing a place up front (where he should be) then why do we need to persevere with 3 at the back? If we all thought it was for his benefit, it appears that can't be the case if he isn't playing there....it looks as though it is strangely a tactical decision by Clough - baffling if so given the success we had not playing such last season?!?

I say all this, and you just know he'll be in the middle of a back three at Donny now :lol:

I think you're right - Hawkins feels like the entire quandary here, he's both the problem and the solution: if he plays in a back 3 then we have 5 CB's (JJ, Perch, Hawkins, Hewitt, Harbottle) and it looks like we're short of a striker, if we play 4 at the back and Hawkins up front then there's an argument that we have enough defenders and strikers. And this is probably NC's thinking in relation to squad size, as Hawkins is effectively 2 players.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:54 am

Marky Mark wrote:
stagmanrob wrote:

I think you're right - Hawkins feels like the entire quandary here, he's both the problem and the solution: if he plays in a back 3 then we have 5 CB's (JJ, Perch, Hawkins, Hewitt, Harbottle) and it looks like we're short of a striker, if we play 4 at the back and Hawkins up front then there's an argument that we have enough defenders and strikers. And this is probably NC's thinking in relation to squad size, as Hawkins is effectively 2 players.

I'd say that's probably a fair assessment.

For whatever reason it doesn't seem that Clough wants to revert to a back four thus far though unless he has no other choice though.

However, given he was in for Jaiyesimi, does that mean he was possibly preparing to do so and go for wingers again?

Time will tell, but I don't think we'd go far wrong reverting to the diamond that gave us loads of success last season.

Having Quinn as more of a central midfielder in this new set-up rather than the left of the diamond, has sort of negated the excellent link-up that he and Macca shared in my opinion.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Ad » Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:16 am

Agreed.

Personally I think that Hawkins needs to be used as cover/impact player. If we are short at the back due to injuries then he comes in to cover or if we are playing a team that play long ball. If we need to change tactics with 15 minutes to go and go long ball he comes on and bullies defences and acts as a target man. I get what's being said about his minutes to goals ratio too but in my opinion I don't think he should be first choice in either position.
Amber Ad
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby 1970Stag » Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:06 pm

broomo wrote:
1970Stag wrote:We won’t finish Top 5 this season.
I’ll take the bet.

My chosen charity is SNYP (Southwick Neighbourhood Youth Project) It supports under privileged children in one of the UK's most deprived areas.

Should we say £50 and please let me know which charity you'd like me to donate to if you're right.

I dont have £50 spare, but I'm happy to put a tenner down for Macmillan Cancer.
1970Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:02 pm

broomo wrote:Lucas has looked very good pre season, strong running and linking up the play very nicely.

I expect good things from him this time around and am looking forward to one or two posters having to eat their words.

Tin hat on but.... bump.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:30 pm

Fair play to Broomo
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby scotsstag » Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:44 pm

broomo wrote:
broomo wrote:Lucas has looked very good pre season, strong running and linking up the play very nicely.

I expect good things from him this time around and am looking forward to one or two posters having to eat their words.

Tin hat on but.... bump.

Jesus, he's had 2 decent games in 2 dozen and we suddenly have the new Ronaldo :roll:
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:46 pm

scotsstag wrote:
broomo wrote:

Tin hat on but.... bump.

Jesus, he's had 2 decent games in 2 dozen and we suddenly have the new Ronaldo :roll:

It's encouraging that it looks like we're finally getting something out of him. Akins will know he hasn't hit the ground running, but he was great today and on Tuesday you have to admit.

P.S Ronaldos crap now ;)
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby scotsstag » Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:48 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
scotsstag wrote:
broomo wrote:

Tin hat on but.... bump.

It's encouraging that it looks like we're finally getting something out of him. Akins will know he hasn't hit the ground running, but he was great today and on Tuesday you have to admit.

P.S Ronaldos crap now ;)

Yes Bobby it's great to see him finally performing in a Stags shirt...
Long may it continue, and more than happy to keep eating the humble pie :lol:
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:52 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
scotsstag wrote:
broomo wrote:

Tin hat on but.... bump.

P.S Ronaldos crap now ;)

Perhaps it shows the benefit of playing personnel to their strengths and best positions.

Typically, I missed the game today but sounds like a great performance, congratulations to all.

Only worry for me is that we picked up injuries to at least 2 defenders but hopefully they will not be troublesome and short lived.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:55 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
scotsstag wrote:
broomo wrote:

Tin hat on but.... bump.

P.S Ronaldos crap now ;)

Perhaps it shows the benefit of playing personnel to their strengths and best positions.

Typically, I missed the game today but sounds like a great performance, congratulations to all.

Only worry for me is that we picked up injuries to at least 2 defenders but hopefully they will not be troublesome and short lived.

Perch looked very uncomfortable, he did stay on for while after the injury but he was struggling. Hewitt I think will hopefully be fine. As you say, when playing 3 CB's the last thing we need when we have so few is to lose two of them.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:50 pm

scotsstag wrote:
broomo wrote:

Tin hat on but.... bump.

Lets forget about the last eight years all in leagues higher
Lets call it selective memory
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby scotsstag » Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:03 pm

bear 73 wrote:
scotsstag wrote:
broomo wrote:

Tin hat on but.... bump.

Absolutely nothing to do with Mansfield Town Football Club..................
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:34 pm

Only matters to us what he does at Mansfield, not Burton.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:36 pm

bear 73 wrote:
scotsstag wrote:
broomo wrote:

Tin hat on but.... bump.

Edgar Davids was a fantastic player in his pomp, safe to say he was a bit crap by the time he ended up at Barnet.

You're only as good as your last game.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum