{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

rumours on new signings

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: rumours on new signings

Postby broomo » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:28 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:I see boateng as an improvement.
We're still massively short on goals and will concede a lot of we dont improve the defence.

We're mid table at the moment.

You know I like you, right?

Christ on a bike mate, you don't half know how to kill the mood.

All last season it was the same.

Do you honestly think we've gone backwards and what is it based on?
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby NEStag » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:46 pm

I think there’s a lot to be said for having a settled squad, particularly at the start of the season when other teams might be getting to know each other.

Chopping and changing and bringing in lots of new players creates excitement and headlines but I think Clough has been slowly building the squad he wants and I don’t think we need to bring too many in. I’d agree we need a keeper, a CB, and maybe another forward.

I’m confident with two or three more decent additions.
NEStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby AnonAlias » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:50 pm

broomo wrote:
We're still massively short on goals and will concede a lot of we dont improve the defence.

We have gone backwards. We need a clinical striker, a promising but proven defender at this level, and cover for a left back, maybe another goalkeeper as well. But how is Will Swan, and Harbottle going to fill in the gaps?
AnonAlias
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:55 pm

AnonAlias wrote:
broomo wrote:

We have gone backwards. We need a clinical striker, a promising but proven defender at this level, and cover for a left back, maybe another goalkeeper as well. But how is Will Swan, and Harbottle going to fill in the gaps?

Why do you think we’ve gone backwards? What’s the reasoning rather than just churning out the phrase?
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:55 pm

It might not even be those two.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:56 pm

I honestly think that with a fully fit Akins and Wallace playing and the the return of Kel Gordon, we will be better than last year.

Just need a couple of finishing touches in my opinion
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:57 pm

Ideally it would have been nice to sign a defender on a permanent that could have been an asset to the club and be here for a good few years and hopefully step in to L1 with us, particularly with JJ and Perch being at the latter stages of their careers.

As a hypothetical, if we were to be successful next season (or not) we’d probably need to be signing 3 or 4 CB’s for the season after. Granted, the priority is getting there and we don’t really need to be thinking any further ahead currently.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby AnonAlias » Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:29 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
AnonAlias wrote:
broomo wrote:

Why do you think we’ve gone backwards? What’s the reasoning rather than just churning out the phrase?

Because teams are getting stronger, our squad morale has deplenished and we aren't getting suitable recruitments, Flinders as a replacement for Bishop, erm okay maybe, Boateng is probably the best we'll get fair enough, but we still need attackers etc, we are not strengthening and our squad size is small and has barely any pace and is ageing.
AnonAlias
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Dan » Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:59 am

How do you know what the squad morale is like?
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:32 am

AnonAlias wrote:
broomo wrote:

I did this on DM with Sedge and it didn't work out too well so I'll say it publicly this time.

Don't contact me on DM's again.

I don't like people who are critical of the club pretending to be all nice when they ask for info.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:41 am

So as we stand the team would probably be this...

Flinders

Hewitt Perch/hawkins JJ Macca

Maris

Clarke/Laps Quinn

Boateng

Oates Bowery

For me I would like to see...

Flinders

Hewitt New CB JJ Macca

Maris

Clarke Quinn

Boateng

Oates New Striker

I feel first team wise we are only a CB and CF short.

Happy with the midfield options.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Stagsfan11 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:01 am

broomo wrote:
AnonAlias wrote:
broomo wrote:

I did this on DM with Sedge and it didn't work out too well so I'll say it publicly this time.

Don't contact me on DM's again.

I don't like people who are critical of the club pretending to be all nice when they ask for info.

Broomo - do the two young players on loan tie in with who you heard last week?
Stagsfan11
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby oldweststander » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:14 am

To the usual culprits.

Why do the interesting topic threads always turn into challenging and slagging other peoples opinions?

They are only opinions, Broomo has his, I have mine, you have yours, it's not important if you don't agree, that is your right but there is no need to challenge in an aggressive manner.
Last edited by oldweststander on Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:50 am

broomo wrote:

I like you too hun. Just think we need more quality in defence and attack mate. The middle of the park, I think we're fine.
Last edited by arsene wengers coat on Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:52 am

NEStag wrote:I think there’s a lot to be said for having a settled squad, particularly at the start of the season when other teams might be getting to know each other.

Chopping and changing and bringing in lots of new players creates excitement and headlines but I think Clough has been slowly building the squad he wants and I don’t think we need to bring too many in. I’d agree we need a keeper, a CB, and maybe another forward.

I’m confident with two or three more decent additions.

Agree. But what are you without those decent additions? Until they're delivered we haven't got them, hence why I said I think we're currently mid table. Those 3 additions could make us playoffs or autos IMO.

I'm not being doom and gloom ,just think we've got room for improvement.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:12 am

AnonAlias wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
AnonAlias wrote:
broomo wrote:

Because teams are getting stronger, our squad morale has deplenished and we aren't getting suitable recruitments, Flinders as a replacement for Bishop, erm okay maybe, Boateng is probably the best we'll get fair enough, but we still need attackers etc, we are not strengthening and our squad size is small and has barely any pace and is ageing.

Akins, Bowery, Oates, Hawkins, Johnson, Gale + 1 incoming thats 7 if we play 2 up front leaving 5 waiting to come on
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:54 am

Johnson likely to go, Gale on loan and I don’t really wanna see Akins upfront to be fair.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:58 am

I am not sure why everyone is panicking. We all know that Clough plays his cards close to his chest, so sometimes what he is saying in press conferences is not the full picture.
It seems to me that year on year, no matter who is the manager, the forum is full of people worrying about lack of signings in late June.
We all know that EFL contracts run till the end of June. If we have signed a player that will be out of contract, but was offered a new contract by their existing club, it is quite often the case that the clubs agree that it won't be announced until the 1st of July.
If we get to the end of next week and nothing has happened, that is the time to start worrying !!
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:05 am

Conker wrote:Johnson likely to go, Gale on loan and I don’t really wanna see Akins upfront to be fair.

I think Clough will be expecting Akins to really kick on next season, I can see him playing up top with Oates a fair bit. Hope he can find the net a few times in pre season and settle down - I think it was getting to him a bit last year as he will have been desperate to impress but it didn’t quite work out.

Swan will be in and out, as will Bowery I imagine.
The other forward Clough said may be a bit different and play behind the strikers. I think Hawkins will be seen primarily as a defender.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:41 am

Its not gone backwards but agree with some that the squad needs a very clinical striker and one very decent strong centre back
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:45 am

be nice if Coventry had a spare striker they could sell us to reignite his career wouldn’t it ?
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:00 pm

Think walkers been told he's surplus to requirements by Cov.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:03 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:Think walkers been told he's surplus to requirements by Cov.

Let’s see if JR rewards the season ticket sales with a Stella striker signing shall we, could see this working out well for all parties you never know !!
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby zod » Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:09 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:
arsene wengers coat wrote:Think walkers been told he's surplus to requirements by Cov.

Let’s see if JR rewards the season ticket sales with a Stella striker signing shall we, could see this working out well for all parties you never know !!

I'd prefer stellar, but if we have to settle for Stella I can cope.
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:12 pm

zod wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:

I'd prefer stellar, but if we have to settle for Stella I can cope.

what’s an r between Stag's fans :D
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum