{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

rumours on new signings

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: rumours on new signings

Postby PaulG » Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:32 pm

Surely, the point is that picking players is not an exact science. It's a team game, which means that an apparent hit becomes a miss not through any fault of his own, but because the team doesn't jell. Likewise, an apparent miss can become a hit over time as he and the others learn how best to maximise their skills. We've examples of both in the current squad. No-one on this board, and no-one at the club, can be sure that a new player will be a hit. It's always a question of wait and see, and have a little patience.
PaulG
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby pemill » Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:29 pm

Luke Beckett anyone :lol:
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby nigegray » Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:41 pm

Pace we need pace adding to this squad its a problem i dont see sorted yet at all??
nigegray
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby yorkstag » Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:56 pm

nigegray wrote:Pace we need pace adding to this squad its a problem i dont see sorted yet at all??

FGS - we have recruitment to do and NC knows what we need. Bit of a pointless post on reflection eh?
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:39 pm

yorkstag wrote:
nigegray wrote:Pace we need pace adding to this squad its a problem i dont see sorted yet at all??

FGS - we have recruitment to do and NC knows what we need. Bit of a pointless post on reflection eh?

FGS this is a discussion forum, bit of a pointless reply on reflection eh?

I agree with nige, we definitely need more pace in the side and that area has not, to date, been addressed - the first pre-season game is on Saturday and clearly the earlier you get your squad together the better. This was why we missed Oates so much when he was either injured or not fully fit - maybe Kellan can step up but I would really like us to sign another player with pace either in midfield or up front.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:15 am

BH_Stag wrote:
Stag95 wrote:I agree that upgrading the squad by a few players a year is definitely the way to go. But I thought we’d have more progress by now. There’s usually some half believable rumours flying about but there’s not much at the minute.

Harbottle and Swan from Forest are the strongest rumours which to me seems pretty likely, and if we’re to go with what Clough is saying there will only be one more outfielder signed after that so we pretty much know everything already!

They sound like a singing duo off "the good old days". :D
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:33 am

Rob wrote:
yorkstag wrote:

FGS this is a discussion forum, bit of a pointless reply on reflection eh?

I agree with nige, we definitely need more pace in the side and that area has not, to date, been addressed - the first pre-season game is on Saturday and clearly the earlier you get your squad together the better. This was why we missed Oates so much when he was either injured or not fully fit - maybe Kellan can step up but I would really like us to sign another player with pace either in midfield or up front.

Let’s see tomorrow mate, hoping for a few mystery players to scroll through Google at half time with mi chips :D
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby S7AGS » Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:09 am

Pace pace pace
It was clear last preseason we didn’t have enough of it, went through jan hoping we’d bring some in… still none … nige knows his stuff though he surely can see this?
S7AGS
First Team
First Team

Postby Sedgwick » Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:40 am

Name a side that did have bags of pace and when did they rip us apart with it?

become the new stagsnet bingo word like "doesn't command his box"
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:48 am

Sedgwick wrote:Name a side that did have bags of pace and when did they rip us apart with it?

Port Vale
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:50 am

Sedgwick wrote:Name a side that did have bags of pace and when did they rip us apart with it?

Sutton ran all over us at Easter (although we did play a midfield of Longstaff, Stirk and Quinn so hardly surprising), and we didn’t have the legs for Port Vale away or in the final. There was talk ahead of that game that the pitch size didn’t matter, but it absolutely did.

That said, we do already have players in the squad that we could have played that do have enough legs and can compete absolutely fine in that respect, it’s just whether they are on the pitch or not.

Pace isn’t the be all and end all, and we could actually field an 11 that would have enough pace, but having a bit more in key areas would definitely strengthen us! We just need to fine tune the good squad we already have so the few issues that we did have last season don’t reoccur. Wanting to improve and move forwards doesn’t mean that we wasn’t any good last season - the point of the window is to improve on your weaknesses, no matter how good you are
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby S7AGS » Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:07 am

If you can’t see that we don’t have enough pace/energy/legs then you might as well stop going as you’re clueless
S7AGS
First Team
First Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:20 am

It wasn’t a lack of pace that undid us at times, it was a midfield of players who couldn’t cover the ground and get around the pitch. Clarke, Maris and Lapslie aren’t particularly quick but they have the energy to be able to cover the necessary ground, whereas the likes of Stirk, Quinn, Longstaff and Murphy didn’t.

It would be nice to have a bit of pace in wide areas though.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Stag95 » Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:20 am

Omari Patrick and Thomas-Asante absolutely destroyed us at the end of the season - costed us 4 points in games we could have easily won.
Stag95
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:23 am

I can only assume this is a wind up.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:34 am

MTFCMusings wrote:It wasn’t a lack of pace that undid us at times, it was a midfield of players who couldn’t cover the ground and get around the pitch. Clarke, Maris and Lapslie aren’t particularly quick but they have the energy to be able to cover the necessary ground, whereas the likes of Stirk, Quinn, Longstaff and Murphy didn’t.

It would be nice to have a bit of pace in wide areas though.

Agreed.

Say you play an outfield of; Hewitt, JJ, Perch, Macca / Maris, Clarke, Boateng, Lapslie /Oates and Bowery in a diamond formation, nobody aside from Oates is lightning quick but that team would compete physically with anybody. There’s energy and they can cover ground like you say.

We just need to pick a team that compliments each other. The midfield 3 of Longstaff, Stirk & Quinn cost us crucial points against Carlisle and Sutton in back to back games. We didn’t really learn and it was the same story against Vale with a midfield of Quinn, O’toole, and Longstaff. Hope we have learned our lesson next season.

I’d like to see a Centre half come in that has a bit more mobility about him, and at least one other forward that can stretch teams when Oates is inevitably out at some stage as we tended to struggle a bit without him
Last edited by BH_Stag on Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby tiptop » Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:35 am

My concerns are all our rivals have strengthened with excellent signings,Stockport, Northampton, Crawley, Salford and Stevenage.
We cannot seem to be left behind,we know our side only needs a few tweaks, it's not like we haven't got money to spend,play offs, Wembley extra 1400 season tickets..

Mtfc have a cracking chance to push on and excite the new fans,yet nothing I'm sorry but I feel we don't look like a top 3 side at this present time...
tiptop
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby yorkshire stag » Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:38 am

BH_Stag wrote:

Sutton ran all over us at Easter (although we did play a midfield of Longstaff, Stirk and Quinn so hardly surprising), and we didn’t have the legs for Port Vale away or in the final. There was talk ahead of that game that the pitch size didn’t matter, but it absolutely did.

That said, we do already have players in the squad that we could have played that do have enough legs and can compete absolutely fine in that respect, it’s just whether they are on the pitch or not.

Pace isn’t the be all and end all, and we could actually field an 11 that would have enough pace, but having a bit more in key areas would definitely strengthen us! We just need to fine tune the good squad we already have so the few issues that we did have last season don’t reoccur. Wanting to improve and move forwards doesn’t mean that we wasn’t any good last season - the point of the window is to improve on your weaknesses, no matter how good you are

if ever there was a game last season that exposed our snail pace it was Sutton, oh & Harrogate
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:44 am

I have to agree, Tiptop

We've been talking of promotion for years. 'club on the rise' etc. We're the longest serving L2 club, and it's theoretically the easiest league to get promoted from as 4 go up.

For all our talk, It's about time we walked the walk and delivered. By this, I mean It's about time we actually did something in the league. we have a record number of ST holder excited to see us go one better than last season. This side (with some additions) fell short last season, and we know it could be a stronger league next season, so I fully expect a few quality additions.

Signings don't guarantee anything, but hopefully Nigel gets his targets and we finally do the business.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:17 am

tiptop wrote:My concerns are all our rivals have strengthened with excellent signings,Stockport, Northampton, Crawley, Salford and Stevenage.
We cannot seem to be left behind,we know our side only needs a few tweaks, it's not like we haven't got money to spend,play offs, Wembley extra 1400 season tickets..

Mtfc have a cracking chance to push on and excite the new fans,yet nothing I'm sorry but I feel we don't look like a top 3 side at this present time...

Plenty of time to get the signings we need. We don't need an overhaul, just a few quality additions. Flinders and Boateng are already good signings.

Also I don't think all those teams will be at the top of the table come next May. Wimbledon will be strong I feel, maybe Gillingham too.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:41 am

Surely a signing or two will be announced on Monday?
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby zod » Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:04 am

Can we change the thread title to "guesses on new signings"?
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby SharpeStag » Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:10 am

Just seen Christy Pym walk in the One Call with Sharpey!
SharpeStag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Captain Cunno » Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:10 am

I'm hopeful of an announcement today so they are in the squad for Retford tomorrow.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:12 am

SharpeStag wrote:Just seen Christy Pym walk in the One Call with Sharpey!
What a signing that would be.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum