{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Vote for the FA Cup goal of the season

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri May 13, 2022 8:58 pm

only one to choose of course

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61352720
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Re: Vote for the FA Cup goal of the season

Postby gazza1988 » Sat May 14, 2022 5:42 am

the bottom question. For favourite moment of the FA Cup. Celebrations of Chesterfurlough's goal against Chelsea? That is currently in 2nd place. Was the Fa Cup really that dreary this year.

5 options and first female referee to referee is 2nd bottom only to a bit of weather at half time in the Buxton/Morecambe game.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby julianshatnasty » Sat May 14, 2022 6:02 am

It would help if you could see all the goals in full rather than have the graphics splashed all over them
julianshatnasty
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Johnny Rotten » Sat May 14, 2022 9:41 am

For me free kicks etc should never be in contention - They are free unimpeded strikes on goal.

For me, without question, any goal in contention should fundamentally be based upon great technique or being a team goal.

Therefore, and unbiased based upon my own personal criteria as to what I'd look for, it leaves it as ours as the best of those to choose from.
@orpington_stag
London & SE Stags Lead
APFSCIL Vice Chair
Ex-Away day fancy dress/theme planner
Johnny Rotten
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat May 14, 2022 10:28 am

Johnny Rotten wrote:For me free kicks etc should never be in contention - They are free unimpeded strikes on goal.

For me, without question, any goal in contention should fundamentally be based upon great technique or being a team goal.

Therefore, and unbiased based upon my own personal criteria as to what I'd look for, it leaves it as ours as the best of those to choose from.

So a free kick into the top corner from miles out isn't great technique as you say... Right
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat May 14, 2022 10:38 am

Sedgwick wrote:
Johnny Rotten wrote:For me free kicks etc should never be in contention - They are free unimpeded strikes on goal.

So a free kick into the top corner from miles out isn't great technique as you say... Right

Nope. You run up, kick it as hard as you can. Sometimes they go in 9 times out of 10 they don't. It's like the 30 yards screamer in open play, sure they look great when they fly in, but it's usually because the player on the ball has run out of options & just decides to raspberry it. If it was about pure technique highly paid pro footballers wouldn't waste so many set peice chances.

A team goal, might require 20 precision passes & chess like reading of the play 2 or 3 moves ahead to come off. They are far better goals IMO.
Last edited by Sneag on Sat May 14, 2022 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Johnny Rotten » Sat May 14, 2022 11:13 am

No, as so eloquently put by Sneag. A team goal requires reading of the game, player movement, insight, forward thinking....many more variables out of the control of those on the ball at a given time than someone who plonks a ball on the floor and is invited to kick it unimpeded at goal.

I bagged a goal once for FTYBR away at Torquay once from a good 30yd. Its wasn't technique, I know that.
@orpington_stag
London & SE Stags Lead
APFSCIL Vice Chair
Ex-Away day fancy dress/theme planner
Johnny Rotten
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum