{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Cobblers scorefred sponsored by 'Three steps to Heaven'.

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Cobblers scorefred sponsored by 'Three steps to Heaven'.

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun May 15, 2022 9:31 am

if you don't have Sky, you can watch the full match back on iFollow Stags
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Sun May 15, 2022 10:26 am

Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sun May 15, 2022 10:52 am

Touched on it before but I really think Clough insisting on playing Longstaff and Murphy is our biggest issue, while it’s understandable due to their attacking threat we are woefully weak in the middle of the park barely picking up any balls or winning any challenges. Not enough battle or legs in the middle hence why Northampton easily kept that pressure on in the second half.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun May 15, 2022 11:01 am

Conker wrote:Touched on it before but I really think Clough insisting on playing Longstaff and Murphy is our biggest issue, while it’s understandable due to their attacking threat we are woefully weak in the middle of the park barely picking up any balls or winning any challenges. Not enough battle or legs in the middle hence why Northampton easily kept that pressure on in the second half.

We could see Clarke in for Longstaff for the second leg. We need better pressing and Clarke loves to get stuck in.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun May 15, 2022 11:22 am

Clarke hasn't kicked a ball in anger for months, if you want to increase the energy levels in midfield I'd sooner see Lapslie come in.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun May 15, 2022 11:25 am

Marky Mark wrote:I’m always surprised that Calderwood never gets more hammer, the dour ***. I’m always asking him where his brown envelope from Swindon is.

What was going on with him at full time. He pointed to someone behind the dugout then went to a steward to tell him the same thing too. You can also see it at the end of the game on the Sky footage.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sun May 15, 2022 11:26 am

Conker wrote:Touched on it before but I really think Clough insisting on playing Longstaff and Murphy is our biggest issue, while it’s understandable due to their attacking threat we are woefully weak in the middle of the park barely picking up any balls or winning any challenges. Not enough battle or legs in the middle hence why Northampton easily kept that pressure on in the second half.

I agree. Earlier in the season one of our strengths was pressing and nicking the ball in dangerous areas when the midfielders squeezed the opposition, and it lead to a lot chances but we don’t seem to have that same bite anymore.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun May 15, 2022 11:26 am

Sneag wrote:Clarke hasn't kicked a ball in anger for months, if you want to increase the energy levels in midfield I'd sooner see Lapslie come in.

Energy is ok if directed into the right areas so Lapslie could add something, my only concern is that he can't tackle only foul and we give away far too many fouls around the penalty box as it is.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun May 15, 2022 11:28 am

Sneag wrote:Clarke hasn't kicked a ball in anger for months, if you want to increase the energy levels in midfield I'd sooner see Lapslie come in.

Yep or laps. Quinn will be a doubt too. But Clarke is still better at tackling and winning the ball back than Lapslie imo
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Sun May 15, 2022 11:34 am

We won't win these playoffs playing that same midfield. Longstaff, Quinn and Murphy are all slow players who don't get around the pitch well and none of them offer any bite or ball winning ability. Can't play them all together, especially when like yesterday, none of them were getting on the ball, being calm and getting us playing which is their one redeemable quality. Lapslie and/or Clarke need to come in for me. Hewitt too at right back because Perch offers nothing going forwards.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sun May 15, 2022 11:39 am

If Quinn is out next game, I’d go

Bish

Hewitt JJ Hawkins Macca

Maris

Longstaff Wallace

Lapslie

Bowery Oates

I agree that we miss Clarke, but have concerns that he won’t be match sharp
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sun May 15, 2022 11:39 am

Relieved we got the win but still only half time with a long rest, I though in the second half we saw Northampton at their best.
While we had skill in midfield the sheer physical presence they had we found hard to compete with.
Longstaff, Murphy, Stirk, Quinn injured, Maris committed a few fouls got booked so had to be careful.
Their root one style and humping balls into the penalty area, by passed midfield on many a occasion.
I feel for the second leg we need to match them in height and physical presence and this is where our bench comes in.
Bishop, Hewitt, Rawson, Hawkins, Maclaughlin , defensive Midfield O"Toole then Akins, Maris, Clark e Bowery Oates.
Bishop 4-1-4-1 thats 7 over six ft, with Akins Bowery Oates our attacking force.
With 7 over six ft we would be a threat from set pieces.
I am hoping Akins and Bowery on our flanks will cut down crosses from them.
Oh to be a Manager, Well done lads on winning the home leg.
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Sun May 15, 2022 11:50 am

Dan wrote:
Marky Mark wrote:I’m always surprised that Calderwood never gets more hammer, the dour ***. I’m always asking him where his brown envelope from Swindon is.

What was going on with him at full time. He pointed to someone behind the dugout then went to a steward to tell him the same thing too. You can also see it at the end of the game on the Sky footage.

He just got some stick from a few of the crowd.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Sun May 15, 2022 11:50 am

My team for Wednesday would be 4-3-1-2:

Bishop
Hewitt
O’Toole
Hawkins
McLaughlin

Clarke
Maris
Lapslie

Murphy

Bowery
Oates

OR 4-3-3:

Bishop

Hewitt
O’Toole
Hawkins
McLaughlin

Clarke
Maris
Lapslie

Bowery
Oates
Akins

Either of those 11’s have a lot more running ability, size, bite and ball winning ability that would better deal with Northamptons physically and directness. Sub Wallace on for Clarke after an hour due to Clarke’s lack of game time and put Wallace on the left of the 3 in midfield.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Sun May 15, 2022 11:58 am

He won’t drop perch though.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sun May 15, 2022 12:01 pm

Now I've allowed some time for the dust to settle I'm a bit more optimistic.

We HAMMERED them 1st half, and if we'd have got a third we would have basically been in the final.

Such a shame we couldn't continue to play the way we did on the first half in the second half.

I, and a lot of people I've spoken to felt that we let them back in to it.

We just need more first half action. Get the first goal at Northampton and I think we'll do it.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Sun May 15, 2022 12:06 pm

lifestags wrote:He won’t drop perch though.

I don’t think he will either but he should. Hewitt’s clearly a better right back isn’t he. Everyone can see that but Clough.

I hope him dragging peg leg Longstaff off early yesterday meant that he’s finally acknowledged that he’s not doing enough in midfield and that he won’t start him on Wednesday. Who cares if it annoys Newcastle, him starting the 2nd leg and losing every midfield battle and being second to absolutely everything jeopardises our promotion hopes.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun May 15, 2022 12:31 pm

Rob wrote:Just watched the game again having Sky plussed it. We had a bit of a mare 2nd half and just couldn't keep the ball, Quinn and Maris, two of our best players, were major culprits. As I thought live, Bowery was again excellent, as we're both CB's. Ref was hopeless 2nd half, that free kick he didn't give to Oates in injury time was one of the worst decisions of the season! Northampton aren't good to watch but are very effective at what they do, which is basically 80s Div 4 :lol:

Longstaff is shocking... Don't care about his goal contributions when the rest of the time is like playing with 10 men. Ball for Murphy shows hes a good player, when he has some time and space to pick a pass. Just not suited to this league and how we play is he, too often shying away from play when ever Maris or one of the back 4 has the ball.

Quinn was poor in the second half, gave it away too often and his mistake led to their goal. I don't think Northampton were much better second half, they just had less of a challenge in the midfield in front of them.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun May 15, 2022 12:50 pm

Cleveland_Stag wrote:We won't win these playoffs playing that same midfield. Longstaff, Quinn and Murphy are all slow players who don't get around the pitch well and none of them offer any bite or ball winning ability. Can't play them all together, especially when like yesterday, none of them were getting on the ball, being calm and getting us playing which is their one redeemable quality. Lapslie and/or Clarke need to come in for me. Hewitt too at right back because Perch offers nothing going forwards.

Love Quinn but he needs replacing. And I get what Murphy is about and what player he was but isn't anymore, quality is good in flashed but imagine both over a full season again. Need better than both of them to kick on.

Clubs every week seem to have strong, athletic powerful or pacey, tricky players and we have no answer to it.

Eppiah last night even Appere was a handful
Omari Patrick at Carlisle
Ajiboye at sutton
Matt at FGR
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Sun May 15, 2022 1:07 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
Cleveland_Stag wrote:We won't win these playoffs playing that same midfield. Longstaff, Quinn and Murphy are all slow players who don't get around the pitch well and none of them offer any bite or ball winning ability. Can't play them all together, especially when like yesterday, none of them were getting on the ball, being calm and getting us playing which is their one redeemable quality. Lapslie and/or Clarke need to come in for me. Hewitt too at right back because Perch offers nothing going forwards.

Love Quinn but he needs replacing. And I get what Murphy is about and what player he was but isn't anymore, quality is good in flashed but imagine both over a full season again. Need better than both of them to kick on.

Clubs every week seem to have strong, athletic powerful or pacey, tricky players and we have no answer to it.

Eppiah last night even Appere was a handful
Omari Patrick at Carlisle
Ajiboye at sutton
Matt at FGR

Completely agree. Whichever division we’re in next season, we need to get younger, quicker and more athletic.

I love Quinn too but you’re right, having him, Perch, Murphy etc in wide areas… they’re just too slow to cause other teams problems. The lack of athleticism, pace and legs also means we constantly fade more and more the deeper into a match we go. Can see the same happening on Wednesday night.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby DURHAM STAG » Sun May 15, 2022 1:14 pm

Agree with what people said about the reaction last night - it looked as though we hadn't won. Just watched the Swindon game. Almost a mirror image - Swindon dominated the first half and went 2 up early in the second. Port Vale came into the game in the second half and pulled one back. 2-1 final score but Swindon and their crowd certainly celebrated. No-one is out of this. Would like to see Lapslie start on Wednesday - think we need Clarke at some stage but as people have said, he hasn't played for a long time.
DURHAM STAG
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby stag324 » Sun May 15, 2022 1:29 pm

Our midfield hasn’t been the same since the changes were made in January.

We have lost the ability to press and really boss that area.

I do understand Clough sticking with his new boys and Perch it after last night he needs to change it.

We also need DJ back on the bench just in chase we need a goal or two
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Sun May 15, 2022 1:57 pm

It’s clearly just me but I thought Longstaff was good and it felt like it was no coincidence that we barely had a kick once he went off. He keeps defenders occupied because he’s quick and quick of thought, and had good interplay down the right in the first half. But obviously we all see it differently.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sun May 15, 2022 2:09 pm

Marky Mark wrote:It’s clearly just me but I thought Longstaff was good and it felt like it was no coincidence that we barely had a kick once he went off. He keeps defenders occupied because he’s quick and quick of thought, and had good interplay down the right in the first half. But obviously we all see it differently.

Assume you must mean quick when he gets the ball, I.e plays a quick pass? Because Longstaff is one of the slowest midfielders I’ve ever seen in terms of pace.

He had a key involvement for the second goal with a great pass, but he did nothing else. We have to carry him really in the hope that he pops up with a moment, whether it’s a goal or an assist. Again, it’s not that we’re carrying him because he’s not working as he clearly does, but it’s because the opposition can bypass him easily and he’s not mobile enough to drop on any second balls. If it’s not directly to his feet then the ball has gone and I think Clough got frustrated with it last night.

Clough has got to decide whether we can afford this on Wednesday. Some players suit certain fixtures, personally I don’t think this is one for him when it’s likely that we will have our backs to the wall for large spells.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Sun May 15, 2022 2:20 pm

From jan transfer window ,he’s close to being our top scorer
daddycool
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum