{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Cobblers scorefred sponsored by 'Three steps to Heaven'.

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Cobblers scorefred sponsored by 'Three steps to Heaven'.

Postby Johnny H » Sun May 15, 2022 2:25 pm

That's where NC made his biggest error for me yesterday.
Maris was winning nearly all the second balls and building up our play sitting in front of the back 4
He then puts Wallace into that position and he was really poor, due to this we then didnt have enough of the ball nor did we keep it anywhere near long enough.....thta's where |I think Clarke could have helped.

The issue with NC for me is that we can guarantee now which 14-15 players will get game time on Wednesday....no matter what the situation is.
If we play a Diamond then Lapslie should be at the head of it, if we play 451 (or 433) then the 3 Cm's have to be able to win and keep the ball....and in the last 4 months Wallace hasn't done that anywhere near consistently enough for me and is nowhere near Clarkes ability.
I thought Hawkins had a good game but the way Northampton play suits him.....up against McKirdy or Proctor in the Final will be completely different and he would be a liability for me.....both turned him far too easily and exposed him in the league games.
Johnny H
Manager
Manager

Postby Ethers1979 » Sun May 15, 2022 2:47 pm

Stags win 2/1 in the play off first leg and have a proven manager, probably the best they’ve had in years, yet he’s being constantly criticised. Baffling
Ethers1979
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Sedgwick » Sun May 15, 2022 2:50 pm

Ethers1979 wrote:Stags win 2/1 in the play off first leg and have a proven manager, probably the best they’ve had in years, yet he’s being constantly criticised. Baffling

Fans always know best... as simple as taking Perch off and we would have walked it apparently :lol:
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Johnny H » Sun May 15, 2022 3:22 pm

Pep and Klopp are superb managers but it doesnt stop them from being rightly criticised on their stubborness or mistakes

And anyone that says NC is not stubborn is biased !!!
Johnny H
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun May 15, 2022 3:47 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
Ethers1979 wrote:Stags win 2/1 in the play off first leg and have a proven manager, probably the best they’ve had in years, yet he’s being constantly criticised. Baffling

Fans always know best... as simple as taking Perch off and we would have walked it apparently :lol:

It's called a discussion forum for a reason! I think Clough made some strange decisions yesterday too, Perch ahead of Hewitt, Lapslie not brought on when we needed his legs and he throws Stirk on when, for whatever reason, he's barely had a kick lately. If you want a forum where no-one is allowed to question the manager, whoever it is, then create one, but it's not here and nor should it be.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby bigalstag1 » Sun May 15, 2022 4:15 pm

According to most on their site, there already through. Clearly the better side, and the return legs a formality.
bigalstag1
First Team
First Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun May 15, 2022 4:19 pm

I don’t think that brining Wallace on led to any further issues, we were already giving the ball away constantly well before that. Wallace was brought on to play in front of the back four because Maris has been booked and they were threatening more and more, meaning Wallace could make a few fouls if needs be. I love Maris but I don’t think any of the midfielders played well, and their lack of composure both yesterday and last weekend was a surprise to me.

As a team, we need to have the ball with our current line up, they not equipped to be chasing the ball for a whole half.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun May 15, 2022 4:37 pm

Wallace must have touched the ball and made more passes in about two minutes than Longstaff did all 45, the difference was there to see
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun May 15, 2022 4:41 pm

Wallace always seems pretty steady to me, I think a lot of the criticism aimed at him seems harsh.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sun May 15, 2022 4:42 pm

Sneag wrote:Wallace always seems pretty steady to me, I think a lot of the criticism aimed at him seems harsh.

I agree
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby 1970Stag » Sun May 15, 2022 4:45 pm

All the criticism of Murphy and Longstaff and they created the 2nd goal. We never look like creating anything once the subs start being made, which always worries me!
I was in the upper west last night and the atmosphere was absolutely amazing, just incredible!
1970Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby scotsstag » Sun May 15, 2022 4:50 pm

bear 73 wrote:Relieved we got the win but still only half time with a long rest, I though in the second half we saw Northampton at their best.
While we had skill in midfield the sheer physical presence they had we found hard to compete with.
Longstaff, Murphy, Stirk, Quinn injured, Maris committed a few fouls got booked so had to be careful.
Their root one style and humping balls into the penalty area, by passed midfield on many a occasion.
I feel for the second leg we need to match them in height and physical presence and this is where our bench comes in.
Bishop, Hewitt, Rawson, Hawkins, Maclaughlin , defensive Midfield O"Toole then Akins, Maris, Clark e Bowery Oates.
Bishop 4-1-4-1 thats 7 over six ft, with Akins Bowery Oates our attacking force.
With 7 over six ft we would be a threat from set pieces.
I am hoping Akins and Bowery on our flanks will cut down crosses from them.
Oh to be a Manager, Well done lads on winning the home leg.

Only one trying to shoehorn Akins into the side again..
On performances since arrival HE'S NOT GOOD ENOUGH!!?
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby NEStag » Sun May 15, 2022 4:53 pm

Longstaff is a talented footballer and can pick a pass and score goals.

Unfortunately he appears to be slower than my mum and not a midfield battler that will win the ball and mix it up in the middle of the park.

So it depends who else is in the midfield and what we are looking to get from that stage of the game. I think Clough made the right decision to bring him off when he did. But as said elsewhere he played Murphy in for the second with a brilliant ball. He’s also scored some goals that he made look easy (eg that side footed goal recently) but he picked his spot.

I’d have him in the team for Northampton to try and help us get an early goal but be ready to take him off if it turns into a scrap.
NEStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby m1cksut » Sun May 15, 2022 5:19 pm

scotsstag wrote:
bear 73 wrote:Relieved we got the win but still only half time with a long rest, I though in the second half we saw Northampton at their best.
While we had skill in midfield the sheer physical presence they had we found hard to compete with.
Longstaff, Murphy, Stirk, Quinn injured, Maris committed a few fouls got booked so had to be careful.
Their root one style and humping balls into the penalty area, by passed midfield on many a occasion.
I feel for the second leg we need to match them in height and physical presence and this is where our bench comes in.
Bishop, Hewitt, Rawson, Hawkins, Maclaughlin , defensive Midfield O"Toole then Akins, Maris, Clark e Bowery Oates.
Bishop 4-1-4-1 thats 7 over six ft, with Akins Bowery Oates our attacking force.
With 7 over six ft we would be a threat from set pieces.
I am hoping Akins and Bowery on our flanks will cut down crosses from them.
Oh to be a Manager, Well done lads on winning the home leg.

Only one trying to shoehorn Akins into the side again..
On performances since arrival HE'S NOT GOOD ENOUGH!!?

dont forget, he is a NC fan, not a :mtfc: fan!
my one regret is...i have no regrets!
m1cksut
Manager
Manager

Postby Johnny H » Sun May 15, 2022 5:30 pm

NEStag wrote:Longstaff is a talented footballer and can pick a pass and score goals.

Unfortunately he appears to be slower than my mum and not a midfield battler that will win the ball and mix it up in the middle of the park.

So it depends who else is in the midfield and what we are looking to get from that stage of the game. I think Clough made the right decision to bring him off when he did. But as said elsewhere he played Murphy in for the second with a brilliant ball. He’s also scored some goals that he made look easy (eg that side footed goal recently) but he picked his spot.

I’d have him in the team for Northampton to try and help us get an early goal but be ready to take him off if it turns into a scrap.

Another worry for me is if we need to make a change to help us score a goal ??
Where is the potential goalscorer coming off the bench ??
No idea if DJ is injured, if not, he needs to be on the bench on Wednesday ahead of one of the 4 midfielders
Johnny H
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun May 15, 2022 5:41 pm

Johnny H wrote:
NEStag wrote:Longstaff is a talented footballer and can pick a pass and score goals.

Another worry for me is if we need to make a change to help us score a goal ??
Where is the potential goalscorer coming off the bench ??
No idea if DJ is injured, if not, he needs to be on the bench on Wednesday ahead of one of the 4 midfielders

Lapslie or Clarke maybe? Both have scored as many league goals as Johnson has, and more from open play.

He’s not injured.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun May 15, 2022 5:48 pm

Longstaff has averaged 37 passes per game since he arrived in January. He managed just 12 last night. A good indication as to why he was taken off.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun May 15, 2022 5:53 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Longstaff has averaged 37 passes per game since he arrived in January. He managed just 12 last night. A good indication as to why he was taken off.

Clough said after the game that Longstaff "was subdued and felt tired for some reason."
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby lifestags » Sun May 15, 2022 6:42 pm

Are we capable of keeping a clean sheet at their place? Doubtful if I’m honest, if we are to get that it will require a battling performance and for us to show massive character. An early goal would be amazing.

I still think he needs to play our more taller, athletic players, 451 or a 532 formation. It’s not going to be an enjoyable game for us, it will be tense. Here’s hoping for Wembley hey.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby lancer » Sun May 15, 2022 7:12 pm

I feel, injuries aside, Clough will start the same 11. We played well 1st half but ran out of steam very quickly second.
It’s been a very long season and some players are looking tired. You can’t expect Quinn and Perch to play twice a week and perform, as much as i like them and know what they bring. However, my biggest disappointment has been Longstaff and Murphy. Both on paper should be getting MOM every game between them but don’t think either of them have been given that since joining, which tells a story. They are not bad players but are finding it difficult to adjust to the pace of league 2.
I would definitely start with Hewitt, Clarke and Lapslie. If we sit back and try and see out a draw, we will lose.
Nigel needs to make some tough decisions.
lancer
First Team
First Team

Postby tiptop » Sun May 15, 2022 7:17 pm

lancer wrote:I feel, injuries aside, Clough will start the same 11. We played well 1st half but ran out of steam very quickly second.
It’s been a very long season and some players are looking tired. You can’t expect Quinn and Perch to play twice a week and perform, as much as i like them and know what they bring. However, my biggest disappointment has been Longstaff and Murphy. Both on paper should be getting MOM every game between them but don’t think either of them have been given that since joining, which tells a story. They are not bad players but are finding it difficult to adjust to the pace of league 2.
I would definitely start with Hewitt, Clarke and Lapslie. If we sit back and try and see out a draw, we will lose.

Good shout and I fully agree,start with those 3 and bring on Quinn and perch if required last 30mins
tiptop
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby diablo » Mon May 16, 2022 4:36 am

tiptop wrote:
lancer wrote:I feel, injuries aside, Clough will start the same 11. We played well 1st half but ran out of steam very quickly second.

Good shout and I fully agree,start with those 3 and bring on Quinn and perch if required last 30mins

Steady on there...someone on Stagsnet actually trying to be sensible.. :o
diablo
First Team
First Team

Postby gazza1988 » Mon May 16, 2022 7:39 am

Sneag wrote:Wallace always seems pretty steady to me, I think a lot of the criticism aimed at him seems harsh.

What people don't realise is he did his ACL in Feb 2021. It ended his season. I would also assume his pre season as well. He went to York City at the end of November for game time (don't forget there's no transfer window at that level so it was either that or the odd u23 game.). Once it got to January he returned to Burton and left to come on loan to us.

He was brought in as backup to Macca and the midfield. He's a very solid backup option.

I honestly think that if we sign him next season and a good pre season and he'd be a very effective player for us. Certainly if we are unsuccessful in promotion.

I think the stick he gets is because of the Burton connection. He's been solid and dependable. His problem is he has that major flaw. He's human. They make mistakes and have off days. Depending on the player some are allowed to make mistakes and others are allowed none.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Mon May 16, 2022 7:50 am

tiptop wrote:

Tend to agree. We need a bit more steel. Clarke for me is a definate (probably for Quinn if he is not 100%). Puts his foot in, wins the ball, plays a simple pass. Will probably get booked in the first 10 though so needs to be carefull. Maris got booked for 4 or 5 fouls because he was running about trying to cover the gaps on his own.
Would also like to see Hewitt back in at right back. Would assist Bowery more on the right going forward too.
Lapslie I would probably leave on the bench for now to avoid changing the side too much and losing both Longstaff and Murphy.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon May 16, 2022 8:35 am

gazza1988 wrote:

What people don't realise is he did his ACL in Feb 2021. It ended his season. I would also assume his pre season as well. He went to York City at the end of November for game time (don't forget there's no transfer window at that level so it was either that or the odd u23 game.). Once it got to January he returned to Burton and left to come on loan to us.

He was brought in as backup to Macca and the midfield. He's a very solid backup option.

I honestly think that if we sign him next season and a good pre season and he'd be a very effective player for us. Certainly if we are unsuccessful in promotion.

I think the stick he gets is because of the Burton connection. He's been solid and dependable. His problem is he has that major flaw. He's human. They make mistakes and have off days. Depending on the player some are allowed to make mistakes and others are allowed none.

Well said. Don't get why this hate for Burton signings has become a thing. Managers like to sign players they've worked with in the past and had success. Wallace has been steady since he signed for us, but when he's subbed on people are so disrespectful despite him getting stuck in
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum