{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Are we really ready for league 1

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Are we really ready for league 1

Postby trenty » Tue May 10, 2022 9:10 pm

As much as I am looking forward to the play off matches I think we may have peaked to soon as just lately we seem leggy and suffering
Six week ago I would have bet my life on us winning the playoffs but not so sure now
Yes the squad we have have smashed records this season but is it really strong enough to survive league 1
I am not going to pick on individual players but our lack of pace throughout and ball winners in midfield
does not fill me with confidence in a higher league
We need to strengthen the spine of the squad with a new keeper, new Center half, strong fast ball winners in midfield and a proven forward to help Rhys Oats out
Would it be better to consolidate the team and make it more complete before we actually go up or win the playoffs and hope we can bring in quality good enough to survive
trenty
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Re: Are we really ready for league 1

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue May 10, 2022 9:20 pm

No.

Take your chance to get out when you can and worry about League One when we get there.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Tue May 10, 2022 9:20 pm

I think you raise some good points but if we get the chance we go. COYS
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue May 10, 2022 9:39 pm

trenty wrote:Would it be better to consolidate the team and make it more complete before we actually go up or win the playoffs and hope we can bring in quality good enough to survive

don't be daft. Give it the best shot at winning the play-offs. Strengthen in the summer.

The aim of the owners is to get to the Championship. A tough ask. But League One is certainly realistic. And they will surely back the manager.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Bradders » Tue May 10, 2022 10:14 pm

trenty wrote:As much as I am looking forward to the play off matches I think we may have peaked to soon as just lately we seem leggy and suffering
Six week ago I would have bet my life on us winning the playoffs but not so sure now
Yes the squad we have have smashed records this season but is it really strong enough to survive league 1
I am not going to pick on individual players but our lack of pace throughout and ball winners in midfield
does not fill me with confidence in a higher league
We need to strengthen the spine of the squad with a new keeper, new Center half, strong fast ball winners in midfield and a proven forward to help Rhys Oats out
Would it be better to consolidate the team and make it more complete before we actually go up or win the playoffs and hope we can bring in quality good enough to survive

Obviously the squad will be reshaped if we get promotion, so your point is pretty irrelevant. It's normal practice for a manager to offload quite a few players who aren't likely to cut it at the higher level, and no doubt their contracts reflect the possibility. Plus we have loan players who won't be returning after the playoffs, and one or two who will be expecting to either retire or drop down to non-league.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Brough » Tue May 10, 2022 10:17 pm

Wow
Brough
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby scotsstag » Wed May 11, 2022 12:52 am

First and foremost get out of this league, then have all summer to strengthen and work on it...
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby steiner » Wed May 11, 2022 7:23 am

If we go up through the play offs then the huge chunk of cash from gates tv merch etc give us the edge over teams that finished top 3 bizarrely.
I just hope it's our time for a play off final win.
steiner
First Team
First Team

Postby Boza Stag » Wed May 11, 2022 7:29 am

steiner wrote:If we go up through the play offs then the huge chunk of cash from gates tv merch etc give us the edge over teams that finished top 3 bizarrely.
I just hope it's our time for a play off final win.

Good post :coys:
Boza Stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Ridge » Wed May 11, 2022 7:40 am

IF we make it up to League 1 through the playoffs, I am confident that Clough will make sure we better than bottom 4 with the backing of the Radfords.

I would take mid table consolidation for a few seasons with a steady build and progression.
Ridge
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby stag861 » Wed May 11, 2022 8:24 am

Nigel has experience at L1 level so knows what is needed. Must admit L1 playoffs are a good advert for the league. Hope ours is.
Per crassum et tenues
stag861
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby ST4GS » Wed May 11, 2022 8:39 am

Ridge wrote:IF we make it up to League 1 through the playoffs, I am confident that Clough will make sure we better than bottom 4 with the backing of the Radfords.

I would take mid table consolidation for a few seasons with a steady build and progression.
The last time we finished in safety in league 1 or its equivalent was 1990 !!!
The day Trevor Christie had a tunnel scrap with Crewe's Dale Jasper. Liverpool won the Division 1 title for the 18th time before the Premier League was introduced. Bobby Robson was being slagged off by the press before Italia 90. A long long time ago.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Wed May 11, 2022 8:59 am

We've been ready for years (bar the Dempster and Coughlan era - or should that be error?)

We need to get up ASAFP and stay put. Clough knows what's what and if he gets us up will get us making progress.

Any longer in League 2 will reverse progress in my opinion. we need promotion.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed May 11, 2022 9:06 am

arsene wengers coat wrote:We've been ready for years (bar the Dempster and Coughlan era - or should that be error?)

We need to get up ASAFP and stay put. Clough knows what's what and if he gets us up will get us making progress.

Any longer in League 2 will reverse progress in my opinion. we need promotion.

I agree with the sentiments of that. League 2 is destined to be the league most difficult to get out of for at least the next 3 or 4 years. When you see who is in contention this year but haven’t even made the playoffs and then add in the 4 coming down and 2 coming up (whoever they are) and you will see it will be an achievement for any club to get in the top 10 next year. Hard times ahead if we don’t make it.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed May 11, 2022 9:26 am

Having just looked at the table again, I think it will be easier to predict who will go down next season than it will be to predict the top seven.

I’m going for Barrow and Carlisle with Gillingham as a wild card.

In reality I just hope that I have zero interest in league 2 next year and am concentrating on league one.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby m1cksut » Wed May 11, 2022 9:59 am

last time a manager "consolidated" we lasted one season in the old division 2!
my one regret is...i have no regrets!
m1cksut
Manager
Manager

Postby MOTG » Wed May 11, 2022 12:00 pm

Of course we can. If the likes of Morecombe can do it surely we can and aim for the Championship. It wasn’t too long ago Scunthorpe we’re playing Forest !
MOTG
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby 1970Stag » Wed May 11, 2022 12:03 pm

What we lack in pace, we make up in passion (hopefully)
Take our chances and we might just do it, but this squad needs an overhaul if we do actually win our play off games.
1970Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Wed May 11, 2022 12:09 pm

Yes - let's do this.
All about getting up there, consolidate and build for the future.

Not to mention the potential for a local derby in more ways than one.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed May 11, 2022 12:13 pm

Nah were not ready. Let's blow our best chance at promotion in a few years and come back when we're ready.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Wed May 11, 2022 12:21 pm

Whether we go up or not, the squad will be massively overhauled anyway.

It is the case every season pretty much.

If we go up, then Clough will probably have a bigger budget to play with based on forecasted bigger attendances. It will be a harder sell to persuade players of a good calibre that we're the team to join in that division, but having Clough gives us a better advantage I would have thought over other managers.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed May 11, 2022 12:36 pm

stagmanrob wrote:Whether we go up or not, the squad will be massively overhauled anyway.

It is the case every season pretty much.

If we go up, then Clough will probably have a bigger budget to play with based on forecasted bigger attendances. It will be a harder sell to persuade players of a good calibre that we're the team to join in that division, but having Clough gives us a better advantage I would have thought over other managers.

Clough said recently that it wouldn’t be a massive overhaul, I think he was referring to if we were still in L2. Think he mentioned 4 or 5 signings.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed May 11, 2022 12:38 pm

You take promotion when you can because as we know it may be a long time before the next one comes around.

Cambridge, Cheltenham and Morecambe all managed to stay up in League 1 after promotion last season with smaller playing budgets than the Stags. Burton and Accrington will also very likely have a smaller playing budget.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby HitchcocksShins » Wed May 11, 2022 12:43 pm

With the promotion of Exeter, we are now joint longest servants in L2 (along with Newport.)
We are more than ready.
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby garlic » Wed May 11, 2022 4:58 pm

If we dont go up then next season could be really bleak, and I mean bleak. The economic effects of the cost of living will hold down crowds, especially away followings so we will have to rely on home support, which can fluctuate as we all know. Then you have the overhaul of the squad, and Oates will be snapped up. And of course the perennial issue of whether JR will get sick and tired of funding failure. If he does, then we really are down the swanny as Clough has just got rid of some good young lads who could have helped us out on the cheap.
garlic
First Team
First Team

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum