{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Are we really ready for league 1

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Are we really ready for league 1

Postby cassellswasmagic » Wed May 11, 2022 5:01 pm

trenty wrote:As much as I am looking forward to the play off matches I think we may have peaked to soon as just lately we seem leggy and suffering
Six week ago I would have bet my life on us winning the playoffs but not so sure now
Yes the squad we have have smashed records this season but is it really strong enough to survive league 1
I am not going to pick on individual players but our lack of pace throughout and ball winners in midfield
does not fill me with confidence in a higher league
We need to strengthen the spine of the squad with a new keeper, new Center half, strong fast ball winners in midfield and a proven forward to help Rhys Oats out
Would it be better to consolidate the team and make it more complete before we actually go up or win the playoffs and hope we can bring in quality good enough to survive

I actually think we’re more than ready and play the kind of football that we should adapt well to a better footballing division. We’re not many signings away from being able to really compete in league 1.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed May 11, 2022 5:10 pm

garlic wrote:If we dont go up then next season could be really bleak, and I mean bleak. The economic effects of the cost of living will hold down crowds, especially away followings so we will have to rely on home support, which can fluctuate as we all know. Then you have the overhaul of the squad, and Oates will be snapped up. And of course the perennial issue of whether JR will get sick and tired of funding failure. If he does, then we really are down the swanny as Clough has just got rid of some good young lads who could have helped us out on the cheap.

They would be cheap but nowhere near good enough for a promotion push. Relegation would be almost guaranteed if they were the mainstay of the team
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed May 11, 2022 5:56 pm

garlic wrote:If we dont go up then next season could be really bleak, and I mean bleak. The economic effects of the cost of living will hold down crowds, especially away followings so we will have to rely on home support, which can fluctuate as we all know. Then you have the overhaul of the squad, and Oates will be snapped up. And of course the perennial issue of whether JR will get sick and tired of funding failure. If he does, then we really are down the swanny as Clough has just got rid of some good young lads who could have helped us out on the cheap.

Which one of the youth players is your kid?

Glad you can see into the future though. Can you teach me?
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Wed May 11, 2022 6:00 pm

You only know if you're good enough or ready for league one when you get there.

Stupid question really. Get promoted, strengthen and stay up
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Wil0211 » Wed May 11, 2022 6:37 pm

I do not think a complete overhaul would be required as some mention. 5-6 quality additions and we would in my opinion be mid table league 1. We beat Donny (comfortably) and Sunderland away, so no reason not to think we would hold our own in the league above.
Wil0211
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby NEStag » Wed May 11, 2022 6:38 pm

Too late for this question: some guys last weekend said we were definitely on our way to League 1. They said they didn’t know how we would get there and they didn’t seem to care how we did either.
NEStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Amberheart » Wed May 11, 2022 7:25 pm

NEStag wrote:Too late for this question: some guys last weekend said we were definitely on our way to League 1. They said they didn’t know how we would get there and they didn’t seem to care how we did either.

I heard that too :D
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Wed May 11, 2022 7:43 pm

Are you still at it positive as ever
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed May 11, 2022 7:52 pm

Sedgwick wrote:You only know if you're good enough or ready for league one when you get there.

Stupid question really. Get promoted, strengthen and stay up

My thoughts exactly.

If we go up we've got to assess the players out of contract and decide if we need them still. We build a team. Get mid table then so what?

In the last 30 years the highest we've finished in league one (or equivalent) is 22nd (relegation) so we go up my expectations wouldn't be high.

89/90 season we finished 15th which is the last team we got league 1 and stayed there the following season.
In 86/87 (well before my time) was the last time we finished top half of league 1 in 10th.

I honestly believe we have enough to at least stay up. Clough has enough experience, recent experience at that, to know what it takes to at the very least mot get relegated.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby garlic » Wed May 11, 2022 8:05 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:

Which one of the youth players is your kid?

Glad you can see into the future though. Can you teach me?

Dont quite think your up to standard for that lesson
garlic
First Team
First Team

Postby bear 73 » Wed May 11, 2022 8:37 pm

Having this post expecting to go up is very premature stick with it one game at a time.
This journey has just begun and reaching league 1, the first step being in the play offs a nice end to the season,
Step two Strengthen the team and go again, in league 2 or i.
League 1 has 4 relegation places, so the biggest trap door in league football.
Mansfield will not be taken lightly but 50% are no better than top half of league 2,,
In 12 months time our squad will be stronger, but with 4 or 5 players league 1 would be a stepping stone Consolidate and then challenge at the top end of League 1
The Championship a very different ball game Mansfield would have to grow on the field and as a club.
This club has potential that is what has been said could be a good 5 years
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed May 11, 2022 9:11 pm

We are lucky to have Nigel Clough who will attract good players as we have seen. If we are promoted to League 1 then better players will want to come to Field Mill and play for him. We become a much more attractive proposition. I'm sure he would keep us up.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Wed May 11, 2022 11:25 pm

I think whatever happens this season, we will recruit 4-5 players that will improve the team. The calibre of those players will depend on which league we are in.

So either way - we are ready for league 1. I think Clough could assemble a squad that could hold it's own in league 1.

The question is ... are we ready to win the play-offs right now?

P.S. The only thing that isn't ready for league 1 is the Bishop St. stand. :lol:
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum