{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Sinclair..released;Cooper.. extended;Knowles 6month contract

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Sinclair,Ward,Charles,Burke,Caine released;Cooper,Gale e

Postby Boza Stag » Wed May 11, 2022 7:43 am

Sinclair was never going to be good enough to hold a regular place in the side & only just a bench warmer at best ... non league football im afraid is his level .
... but good luck to the lad !!
Boza Stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby cassellswasmagic » Wed May 11, 2022 8:05 am

Smith is still not good enough to get into our midfield imho. It was the correct decision to release him. Unless we think he’s better than Clarke who can’t get in the starting 11 atm. If Smith were still here he’d be 6 or 7th choice for a midfield starting place I think.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Wed May 11, 2022 8:45 am

The lads are not good enough. It was said (reading between the lines) at the clough and sharp forum they are not expecting any gems for a few years. We are probably looking at our 14s for our next big thing.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Wed May 11, 2022 11:02 am

PEAR CIDER wrote:The lads are not good enough. It was said (reading between the lines) at the clough and sharp forum they are not expecting any gems for a few years. We are probably looking at our 14s for our next big thing.

The way I read their comments in the forums was that there will be individuals coming through each but you only get one cohort every few years where there are a group of scholars who make it as a group into the team. They have identified that group as the next special group.
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed May 11, 2022 11:11 am

I'd love to find out more about how academies work. I've loads of questions about it.

Anyone know who I could email at the club? For off season content.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Sammythestag » Wed May 11, 2022 11:23 am

Is Jason Law still under contract? or is he not deemed a youngster anymore at 23?
Sammythestag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed May 11, 2022 11:23 am

The quality of the lads we are producing is getting better and they are playing at higher levels. Most of the lads we released in the past dropped down to Step 4/5/6 of non-league football e.g. Liam Marsden, Joe Fitzpatrick, Corbin Shires, Tyler Blake, Zayn Hakeem, Kieran Harrison, Cameron Heeley, Tom Marriott, Jordan Graham, Anthony Dwyer, Harry Bircumshaw, Nyle Blake, Tom Fielding etc. Jack Thomas has mainly played at Step 3. Lewis Gibbens was at Boston but seems to have disappeared.

We now have Jason Law in the 1st team squad and Alistair Smith at Sutton United. Tyrese Sinclair will probably get fixed up by his Dad at Donny Rovers but if not then he might get signed up by Scunthorpe United or another National League club. Keaton Ward and George Cooper have shown that they can play in National League North. Jimmy Knowles has played in the National League. Jaden Charles could probably play National League North level. Henri Wilder was Player of the Season at Tamworth (Step 3) and will probably receive offers from higher up.

Don't forget as well that we were relegated to the National League with a couple of decent youngsters in defence - Alex Baptiste and Jake Buxton :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Wed May 11, 2022 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed May 11, 2022 11:28 am

Sammythestag wrote:Is Jason Law still under contract? or is he not deemed a youngster anymore at 23?

He's in the squad and been on the bench. Classed as a first teamer now.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed May 11, 2022 11:32 am

gazza1988 wrote:I'd love to find out more about how academies work. I've loads of questions about it.

No Hunger In Paradise by Michael Calvin is an excellent book on the academy system in football. All his football books are very good - The Nowhere Men (Scouts), Living On A Volcano (Managers), State Of Play, Family: Life, Death and Football (Millwall)
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed May 11, 2022 11:47 am

Thanks for the recommendation.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed May 11, 2022 12:10 pm

It would be good if the media department could cover the youth team a bit more, with highlights of games on iFollow and that sort of thing.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby garlic » Wed May 11, 2022 4:49 pm

Boza Stag wrote:Sinclair was never going to be good enough to hold a regular place in the side & only just a bench warmer at best ... non league football im afraid is his level .

I`ll remember you said that when Sinclair is looking down on us from a higher league wagging two fingers in our direction.
garlic
First Team
First Team

Postby scotsstag » Wed May 11, 2022 5:54 pm

garlic wrote:
Boza Stag wrote:Sinclair was never going to be good enough to hold a regular place in the side & only just a bench warmer at best ... non league football im afraid is his level .

I`ll remember you said that when Sinclair is looking down on us from a higher league wagging two fingers in our direction.

Never happen, not good enough...
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed May 11, 2022 6:21 pm

garlic wrote:

Garlic, I’ve no problem with the fundamentals of your approach, and I share you interest in developing players or signing players who could generate a future fee. That can only be done if these players are good enough, which the manager thinks they aren’t.

The problem I do have with your posts is that pretty much everyone is either slagging off the first team or slagging off the lack of development of the youth players. I can’t find a post in recent history where you have celebrated the clubs fantastic form in the latter part of the season, or even seem to have enjoyed this season at all.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed May 11, 2022 6:28 pm

He's not the only one Musings, but I won't start another list of the bad boys :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Wed May 11, 2022 6:31 pm

Tyrese will play higher then our level eventually I think. His problem wasn’t his ability, more over confident.

He will get a good move though for sure.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby halifaxstag » Wed May 11, 2022 6:33 pm

scotsstag wrote:
garlic wrote:

Never happen, not good enough...[
You seem so confident of that. Tyrese has only just turned 21 in a profession that players reach their best in their mid 20s. He was a fans’ favourite albeit in a poor Scunthorpe side. He has the physical and technical ability to play in a League 2 side but would be a fringe player in our squad where we can afford to sign or loan players from a higher level. Alistair Smith has made 40 appearances and scored 9 goals from midfield this season for a team that has only just missed out on the playoffs.
Being released doesn’t end your career. In fact it could trigger some of them to try even harder. Clough has given these younger players a chance to go and build a career elsewhere. Some of them may well make it at a higher or lower level but only time will tell
halifaxstag
First Team
First Team

Postby bear 73 » Wed May 11, 2022 7:12 pm

garlic wrote:Nothing to do with hindsight, it`s to do with having a concerted plan to give these young players a real opportunity, not just a toe dipping exercise. This king of thinking runs counter to the english disease of short-term thinking which dominates every aspect of our society especially in the world of football. Not one of those youngsters had the same opportunity as Akins and Murphy. MTFC really doesn`t deserve promising youngsters, and the likes of Dis, Leroy and Lawrence would be as quickly dismissed now as those just released. Brain dead way to run a football club, but it seems to suit quite a lot of people.

Academy players under Clough given first team chance, Hendrick, Hughes, O"Brien, Bennett,,Ball, ,,Long, Reed, Girolamo, Burke, Charles,, Ward, Law, Sinclair,, Knowles, Gale,

Caine,Hutchinson,,Clarke, Sbarra,,,Fox, Harness
Over 18 million gained on transfer fees, Hendrick went onto become a international , Hughes premier league player.
3 more had a good career at league 1 level and the rest just been released at Mansfield.
David Sharpe spoke about the Academy and expectations and patience waiting for the new. crop of players coming through.
Calling our Qualified Staff brain dead and not happy how the football club is run says it all
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed May 11, 2022 8:33 pm

Ryan Burke (signed from Birmingham City), Jaden Charles (released by Derby County) and James Gale (released by Derby County and signed from Long Eaton) are not academy players as they never played for our youth team.

Jason Law started off at Carlton Town but we signed him when he was 16 so he did play for the youth team. Tyrese Sinclair (Blackburn Rovers) and Jimmy Knowles (Forest) were released by other academies but also did play for the youth team.

I'm looking forward to the first young lad coming through who has been with the Stags from U12/13/U14s.

I think Jack Thomas started with the Stags from a young age. He may have left to join County and then come back to the Stags.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Wed May 11, 2022 8:48 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Ryan Burke (signed from Birmingham City), Jaden Charles (released by Derby County) and James Gale (released by Derby County and signed from Long Eaton) are not academy players as they never played for our youth team.

Jason Law started off at Carlton Town but we signed him when he was 16 so he did play for the youth team. Tyrese Sinclair (Blackburn Rovers) and Jimmy Knowles (Forest) were released by other academies but also did play for the youth team.

I'm looking forward to the first young lad coming through who has been with the Stags from U12/13/U14s.

I think Jack Thomas started with the Stags from a young age. He may have left to join County and then come back to the Stags.

sorry tippy thought our under 23s were part of the youth set up , but stand corrected 2026 looking forward to it
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed May 11, 2022 8:55 pm

Did we get rid of the youth team completely at one point?

I know we just did u18, taking players who didn't get a youth scholarship at other clubs at one point.

As mentioned we started category 3 academy 2 years ago. Those that joined the club at age 8 (I think u9 is our lowest age category). We are 2 years into it. They can't sign a pro deal until 17 years old. So there's around 7 years until we see the first players come through who will have gone through our youth system fully. Assuming they aren't poached from a bigger club (like keaton Ward was).

I'm not saying don't expect any before then. As TTF said, u12/13/14s would have some good players who may make it too.

Look at what we have already. Owen Mason, Republic of Ireland u18 player and has interest from Nottingham Forest.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed May 11, 2022 9:01 pm

Did we pick Owen Mason from Notts County when they scrapped their academy?
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed May 11, 2022 10:07 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Ryan Burke (signed from Birmingham City), Jaden Charles (released by Derby County) and James Gale (released by Derby County and signed from Long Eaton) are not academy players as they never played for our youth team.

Charlie Carter won the Academy player of the year, a defensive midfielder. He is from Mansfield.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed May 11, 2022 10:10 pm

Is Charlie Carter related to former Stags youth team player and local non-league player Mark Carter? I think Marky Mark said his Dad was a decent player.

Spiro claims he is related to him but I find that hard to believe as Charlie looks a decent player. :lol:
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu May 12, 2022 8:09 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum