{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Big Games... Big Decisions...

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Big Games... Big Decisions...

Postby Beyond The Pale » Mon May 09, 2022 1:38 pm

Hopefully over the two upcoming games in the play-offs we can see some strong & fair-minded officiating, something we don't normally see in our favour in big games in general.

Games against Liverpool, York City, Newport, Huddersfield, & them lot from over the M1 are just some of the ties that immediately come to mind, & i'm sure that there are plenty more.

As we've seen this season the officiating has been well below par from our point of view - Hopefully we'll see some fairness, or maybe even a dodgy decision swing things in our favour!
I backed my car into a cop car the other day, he just drove off, sometimes life's okay...
Beyond The Pale
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: Big Games... Big Decisions...

Postby ParisStag » Mon May 09, 2022 1:48 pm

Northampton feel that Tom Curtis should have been sent off before equalising in 2004.

One thing you can be sure of is that there will be a bad decision over the next 3 games. Just have to hope it goes on our favour.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby S7AGS » Mon May 09, 2022 2:01 pm

I’d love for someone to do a full breakdown of big decisions against us over the last 20 years as it does feel like we’ve had an unnatural amount go against us… if anything to be able to raise with the authorities to say ‘we’re watching you’ as some decisions we’ve seen have had enormous impacts on us as a club… simple ones like the Huddersfield playoff final, we get literallly robbed and the team we lose to go on to have major success through the leagues…. Not saying we would have done the same but where would Huddersfield have gone if they’d rightfully have lost to us? There are more, Newport loss in playoffs more recently, lots of decisions against us there that I feel cost us a go in the final where we feasibly could have been promoted, with Radfords backing who knows where we’d be now… as it was we ended up sacking the manager and spending the last few years rebuilding the club!
S7AGS
First Team
First Team

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon May 09, 2022 4:29 pm

Greeny getting sent off at York for not handling the ball in the playoff first leg didn’t help either.

I’m sure there have been a few that have gone our way but it does seem more go against us.

Edit

Sorry just re-read and see you included that one.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Mon May 09, 2022 5:26 pm

ParisStag wrote:Northampton feel that Tom Curtis should have been sent off before equalising in 2004.

The reason he wasn't is because the foul he comitted was after the one by the Northampton player that he blew for.
They bleat about this, even Chris Hargreaves mentions it in his autobiography, but none of them ever comment on Westwood taking one for the team when he hacked down Larkin in the first leg when he was heading for a 1on1 which would have given us a 3-0 lead coming back to the Mill. Without that foul the tie would have been dead and buried.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Mon May 09, 2022 7:22 pm

Got the same ref for 1st leg as who reffed the league match in April, and him from Saturday for the 2nd leg
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby london amber stag » Mon May 09, 2022 7:45 pm

Not happy if it is the same ref as Saturday, he was dire.
Mansfield Town, my club even though been exiled in London since 1983.
london amber stag
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Fri May 13, 2022 3:59 pm

Richard Cranium wrote:Got the same ref for 1st leg as who reffed the league match in April, and him from Saturday for the 2nd leg

The 1st leg ref got the 2 big decisions right against Northanptoj in April - their red card and not giving them a penalty.

The ref for the FGR game, I thought was OK.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Fri May 13, 2022 4:11 pm

london amber stag wrote:Not happy if it is the same ref as Saturday, he was dire.

90% of refs are. Theres a massive issue the FA are just ignoring.. Ref gets a bad score? Doesn't matter, next to nothing happens.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Fri May 13, 2022 4:27 pm

Like decisions over a season tend to level out, maybe all the bad decisions we've had in the play offs over the years will level out.

We've got O'brien not being sent off for deliberately bringing down walker when through (obvious red) and giving Newport a penalty incorrectly after logan came out and got a hand to the ball and Amond went over him. Logan saved the penalty was unable to save the rebound. This gave Newport a 1-1 draw. Then in the 2nd leg Butler clearly elbowed Danny Rose full in the face but it was bottles and only a yellow. That ended 0-0 and we lost 5-3 on penalties.

Then, matt Green getting sent of for moving his hand away from the ball after it was going to hit it, recievingbhis 2nd yellow. Same game Fyfield, on a yellow, cynically tripped luke O'Neil and was not booked. Nothing too controversial in the 2nd leg, we was without out top scorer though.

Then, play off final in 03/04 Colin Larkin in the 90th minute has his goal unjust ruled out. Ball was deemed out of play but replays showed it was in. In this season the ref in the 1st leg was just terrible all round and 3nd leg was OK. We won 2-0 away to Northampton and lost 3-1 at home. We won 5-4 on penalties to get to the final.

So by my reckoning we are due, not only decent officials in the semis but decent officials in the final.

Crucially, VAR would have seen us up in 03/04.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby NEStag » Fri May 13, 2022 4:36 pm

I’m in favour of VAR for the final. Not because it always produces the best decisions but because it gets rid of match changing ones that are clearly wrong. You can accept a marginal decision goong Against you but a really obvious error like a ball over the line is what VAR always tends to pick up.
NEStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bobbystagsfan » Fri May 13, 2022 4:47 pm

gazza1988 wrote:Like decisions over a season tend to level out, maybe all the bad decisions we've had in the play offs over the years will level out.

We've got O'brien not being sent off for deliberately bringing down walker when through (obvious red) and giving Newport a penalty incorrectly after logan came out and got a hand to the ball and Amond went over him. Logan saved the penalty was unable to save the rebound. This gave Newport a 1-1 draw. Then in the 2nd leg Butler clearly elbowed Danny Rose full in the face but it was bottles and only a yellow. That ended 0-0 and we lost 5-3 on penalties.

Then, matt Green getting sent of for moving his hand away from the ball after it was going to hit it, recievingbhis 2nd yellow. Same game Fyfield, on a yellow, cynically tripped luke O'Neil and was not booked. Nothing too controversial in the 2nd leg, we was without out top scorer though.

Then, play off final in 03/04 Colin Larkin in the 90th minute has his goal unjust ruled out. Ball was deemed out of play but replays showed it was in. In this season the ref in the 1st leg was just terrible all round and 2nd leg was OK. We won 2-0 away to Northampton and lost 3-1 at home. We won 5-4 on penalties to get to the final.

So by my reckoning we are due, not only decent officials in the semis but decent officials in the final.

Crucially, VAR would have seen us up in 03/04.

You brought back so many memories with this post gazza! We are surely due some luck in the play offs after all we've had.

Buzzing to be in the play offs but also so nervous. I think we can do it too.

Akins/Murphy to become heroes anyone? :D
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby WorthingStag » Mon May 16, 2022 11:56 am

S7AGS wrote:I’d love for someone to do a full breakdown of big decisions against us over the last 20 years as it does feel like we’ve had an unnatural amount go against us… if anything to be able to raise with the authorities to say ‘we’re watching you’ as some decisions we’ve seen have had enormous impacts on us as a club… simple ones like the Huddersfield playoff final, we get literallly robbed and the team we lose to go on to have major success through the leagues…. Not saying we would have done the same but where would Huddersfield have gone if they’d rightfully have lost to us? There are more, Newport loss in playoffs more recently, lots of decisions against us there that I feel cost us a go in the final where we feasibly could have been promoted, with Radfords backing who knows where we’d be now… as it was we ended up sacking the manager and spending the last few years rebuilding the club!

Somewhat of a comfort that VAR is in use at Wembley for the play off final ….
WorthingStag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Beyond The Pale » Thu May 19, 2022 8:36 am

Beyond The Pale wrote:Hopefully over the two upcoming games in the play-offs we can see some strong & fair-minded officiating, something we don't normally see in our favour in big games in general.

Games against Liverpool, York City, Newport, Huddersfield, & them lot from over the M1 are just some of the ties that immediately come to mind, & i'm sure that there are plenty more.

As we've seen this season the officiating has been well below par from our point of view - Hopefully we'll see some fairness, or maybe even a dodgy decision swing things in our favour!

Well , well, well...
I backed my car into a cop car the other day, he just drove off, sometimes life's okay...
Beyond The Pale
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu May 19, 2022 8:54 am

We have to be very careful with VAR in the final.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Thu May 19, 2022 8:54 am

O’Toole needs a Intensive VAR course.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum