{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Bonus Revenue

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Bonus Revenue

Postby Rob » Sat May 07, 2022 10:11 pm

With two televised games plus a sell out home game to come I expect the play-offs will net the club circa 300k of unbudgeted, unexpected income, even if we don't get to Wembley. Its not my money before some smartarse says it, but I'd love it if the club would spend this windfall on the Bish, even if just to knock it down and flatten the area. Imagine how much better today's atmosphere would be in a proper 4 sided ground .....
Rob
Manager
Manager

Re: Bonus Revenue

Postby Sneag » Sat May 07, 2022 10:15 pm

And hire a decent graphic artist to design a new badge.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sat May 07, 2022 10:44 pm

And ples were awlful
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat May 07, 2022 11:34 pm

It would be nice to have a four sided ground Rob but I'm not sure about the atmosphere point because we would not fill four sides at the moment. You also risk losing fans in the West/IG Stand and Quarry Lane and spreading them more thinly around the ground. A very full West/IG Stand is an intimidating stand as many opposition managers have admitted.

The main use for the Bishop Street would be to stick more away fans in there when we play the big clubs or home fans if we have sold out West/IG and Quarry Lane. It then becomes a money earner and starts to pay for any rebuild.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Stafford » Sun May 08, 2022 8:33 am

Sneag wrote:And hire a decent graphic artist to design a new badge.

We've got a fantastic graphic designer working for the club already. Her name's Emma, you can see her stuff on Instagram and other social media - @snelephantdesignco is her handle.
First Stags game:

Stags 0 - 0 Exeter City
April 24, 1993
Stafford
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun May 08, 2022 9:02 am

I would imagine any unbudgeted windfall income will be required to pay enhanced L1 wages should we be promoted or to bring in better players should we remain in L2.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun May 08, 2022 9:33 am

oldweststander wrote:I would imagine any unbudgeted windfall income will be required to pay enhanced L1 wages should we be promoted or to bring in better players should we remain in L2.

If we go up we'll have another windfall, this time much bigger, from Wembley and TV rights. The argument that money should be used on wages will always be there, are you saying we should never do it? Equally, are you saying we shouldn't improve the facilities at the Mill and spend it on wages instead?

Darren, there is no doubt the atmosphere suffers in a three sided ground. Furthermore, the facilities inside are clearly insufficient for the sort of gate we had yesterday. The club would definitely have lost money on in stadium kiosk sales yesterday. Not sure how it was up in the prawn sandwiches, but in the lower tier unless you started queueing 10 mins before half time, that half time cuppa wasn't happening.

The arguments against developing that side will always be there, if we don't do it now under a great owner then it may never be done. The club will regret not doing it earlier anyway. If we do go up just look at the fixtures we will have and then work out lost income in just one season. This isn't just gate receipts, but food and beer too. A 2k stand is likely to generate at least 250k a season extra, probably much more, if we were in League 1.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Sun May 08, 2022 9:59 am

I imagine that players get bonuses for reaching the playoffs, more for the final, and a big chunk for promotion. So it's not all profit.
Winning the playoff final would doubtless trigger a serious attempt to get the Bishop Street side sorted, but if I was in charge I'd keep quiet on the subject for now. Promotion is still a long way off.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sun May 08, 2022 10:21 am

I’d prefer them to build in the corner between the QLE and the WSL, while doing up the club shop at the same
time. that would be more practical personally.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sun May 08, 2022 10:22 am

You can’t fill a corner in while we have that eyesore.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun May 08, 2022 10:27 am

Rob wrote:
oldweststander wrote:I would imagine any unbudgeted windfall income will be required to pay enhanced L1 wages should we be promoted or to bring in better players should we remain in L2.

If we go up we'll have another windfall, this time much bigger, from Wembley and TV rights. The argument that money should be used on wages will always be there, are you saying we should never do it? Equally, are you saying we shouldn't improve the facilities at the Mill and spend it on wages instead?

Darren, there is no doubt the atmosphere suffers in a three sided ground. Furthermore, the facilities inside are clearly insufficient for the sort of gate we had yesterday. The club would definitely have lost money on in stadium kiosk sales yesterday. Not sure how it was up in the prawn sandwiches, but in the lower tier unless you started queueing 10 mins before half time, that half time cuppa wasn't happening.

The arguments against developing that side will always be there, if we don't do it now under a great owner then it may never be done. The club will regret not doing it earlier anyway. If we do go up just look at the fixtures we will have and then work out lost income in just one season. This isn't just gate receipts, but food and beer too. A 2k stand is likely to generate at least 250k a season extra, probably much more, if we were in League 1.

Did I say, "never do it", no I didn't, even in L1 we wont get anymore than 7000 locals even if we are top of the league.
So the question is, what do you want, a team holding its own in L1 or a new Bishop St stand thay will remain largely vacant should we be struggling in L1.

If you want to remain in L2, all options are open.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sun May 08, 2022 10:32 am

Conker wrote:You can’t fill a corner in while we have that eyesore.

I honestly don’t mind it, clearly it’s not ideal but when you look at the revenue the advertising brings in, i think it would be more practical and cheaper to fill in the corner.

Either way, we’ve got to start looking at increasing capacity.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun May 08, 2022 10:34 am

oldweststander wrote:
Rob wrote:

Did I say, "never do it", no I didn't, even in L1 we wont get anymore than 7000 locals even if we are top of the league.
So the question is, what do you want, a team holding its own in L1 or a new Bishop St stand thay will remain largely vacant should we be struggling in L1.

If you want to remain in L2, all options are open.

So do you want to do it or not? Your argument about spending the money on wages instead will always be the case.

You are wrong about 7k locals, yesterday I am certain we would have had more than 7k home fans if we had the space, imagine how many more we'd have if we played Derby? This isn't just about home fan capacity either.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Sun May 08, 2022 11:29 am

If we go up you'd imagine that with the additional revenue from increased away supporters (Derby, Sunderland/Sheff Weds, Barnsley, Portsmouth, Ipswich, etc, etc) and our own season tickets in the North Stand that doing the Bish would pay for itself quite quickly. The away end at Salford was about 8 steps high with 2 crush barriers on it, and the height was lower than the Bishop Street stand is now - there were about 1,000 in there for an end, so that'd be at least double for a whole side - that'd have to be the plan, surely. I know it's not a 'priority' as such, whilst we're in League 2 - but you'd hope that if we go up there'd already be plans in place ready to go.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Sun May 08, 2022 11:51 am

The club have pretty much already said something would only happen on bishop street if we were to go up. Personally if we go up I’d like to see some safe standing there. The way to make it pay is to use that side for away fans, if the likes of derby etc. were in town we’d want to get as much cash as possible from them. Hopefully it would mean getting a large number of home fans as well.

All that said we’re still 3 games away and no guarantees of any of it
Jimstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun May 08, 2022 12:13 pm

Rob wrote:
oldweststander wrote:Not sure how it was up in the prawn sandwiches, but in the lower tier unless you started queueing 10 mins before half time, that half time cuppa wasn't happening.

It's the same in the West Stand Upper (North Stand Side) Rob. I have not tried the new pies or sausage rolls yet because the queues are usually too big even before the game. I don't even bother looking at half time. Part Time Pete kindly gives me some of his coffee. My son queued for a pie yesterday and didn't rate it. We occasionally have a dodgy burger from the van outside. They put them in a box for you and you can take them inside the ground.

Do they still let fans outside at half time at the back of the West Stand or have they stopped doing that?
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun May 08, 2022 12:19 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
Rob wrote:
oldweststander wrote:Not sure how it was up in the prawn sandwiches, but in the lower tier unless you started queueing 10 mins before half time, that half time cuppa wasn't happening.

It's the same in the West Stand Upper (North Stand Side) Rob. I have not tried the new pies or sausage rolls yet because the queues are usually too big even before the game. I don't even bother looking at half time. Part Time Pete kindly gives me some of his coffee. My son queued for a pie yesterday and didn't rate it. We occasionally have a dodgy burger from the van outside. They put them in a box for you and you can take them inside the ground.

Do they still let fans outside at half time at the back of the West Stand or have they stopped doing that?

Yes the queues are awful at the kiosks, and only having one kiosk open for a sell out game is a shambles. We were in the ground for 20 past yesterday and still didn’t get served for ten minutes. A few minutes later the queue was all the way down past the stairs.

The new pies are not for me, or my Dad. We went for a sausage roll yesterday instead which was better, not sure if it was one of the new ones or not.

They had three people behind the kiosk but only one person being served at a time, and you always have to repeat your order three times before they get it right.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sun May 08, 2022 1:09 pm

Bishop street how many clubs have a 3 sided ground, Seats, Safe standing, not needed.
Just build a stand standing only for away supporters, make the North Stand a home end.
Their is ail ready 3 fully seated stands, standing only for the away fans this takes us into 4 seasons of Championship football.
As stated their are many improvements to be made Catering, Club Shop, Fan zone, Parking, Tickets, .
A fine line between players, and infrastructure, But the latter is for life, players a brief spell.
Both can be achieved .
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun May 08, 2022 1:14 pm

Rob wrote:

Yes they let the vapers/smokers out. I don't go to the kiosks/loos at half time when there is a big crowd, its carnage, the area is not anywhere near big enough, one kiosk, one set of toilets for a thousand people!

The other benefit of doing the Bish isn't just for full houses and away fans, but it will also help congestion in the West Stand when gates are anything above 5,000.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun May 08, 2022 1:30 pm

Conker wrote:You can’t fill a corner in while we have that eyesore.

This. It’s just not a good ground like it is. It lets the club down imo and needs something half decent going there. Even if it’s 1-2,000 seats. Is it something like £500 per seat on average or is it more?
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun May 08, 2022 1:33 pm

bear 73 wrote:Bishop street how many clubs have a 3 sided ground, Seats, Safe standing, not needed.
Just build a stand standing only for away supporters, make the North Stand a home end.
Their is ail ready 3 fully seated stands, standing only for the away fans this takes us into 4 seasons of Championship football.
As stated their are many improvements to be made Catering, Club Shop, Fan zone, Parking, Tickets, .
A fine line between players, and infrastructure, But the latter is for life, players a brief spell.
Both can be achieved .

Love the idea of throwing the away fans in the east stand. On a sunny day they struggle to see anything. Agreed. No roof so it pee’s it down on them too :lol:
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun May 08, 2022 1:38 pm

Rob wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Yes they let the vapers/smokers out.

Can you get out to the burger van and beer hut at half time? That would be one way of reducing queues. Just have a few stewards and a bit of red tape at both ends.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun May 08, 2022 1:42 pm

Rob wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Yes they let the vapers/smokers out.

Can you get out to the burger van and beer hut at half time? That would be one way of reducing queues. Just have a few stewards and a bit of red tape at both ends.

No, its just a small cordoned off area. I think the outside kiosks close at 3 don't they? My mate had a good idea, he said why not have a soft drinks stall in the corner between the West and North as there used to be back in the day.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Stag95 » Sun May 08, 2022 3:24 pm

We really should be renting out a big screen for the away game, it’s 23 degrees that day as well. The Swan do it for England games and it rakes it in, imagine the atmosphere of 1000+ staggies who can’t make it/ get tickets for Northampton. Is there anyone I can email at the club to suggest this??
Stag95
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Sun May 08, 2022 3:28 pm

Stag95 wrote:We really should be renting out a big screen for the away game, it’s 23 degrees that day as well. The Swan do it for England games and it rakes it in, imagine the atmosphere of 1000+ staggies who can’t make it/ get tickets for Northampton. Is there anyone I can email at the club to suggest this??

I don’t think it can be done due to it already being on Sky
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum