{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

League 2 Players Of The Season

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: League 2 Players Of The Season

Postby robbingdog » Thu May 12, 2022 7:47 pm

id have that finn azaz in our team every day of the week, looks a fantastic player
robbingdog
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Thu May 12, 2022 8:15 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:
diablo wrote:I honestly do not think you can compare the modern full/wing /back players to players like Barry Foster and Sandy Pate it's a totally different game nowadays with different tactics ,formations and fitness levels. Macca is basically a converted winger who if fantastically fit however you wouldn't try to compare him him to , say, Jimmy McCaffrey who was an out and out Winger and who would be completely lost at full back then . Modern players are expected and are able to perform in several different positions probable exception being the keeper

You can't compare the 2 for the reasons you say. If we could travel in time back to then and play a game vs the stags side back then, we would lose heavily (pitch conditions back then and what players could "get away with", heavier ball etc) however bring them to our time then they will lose heavily or the match wouldn't make it to the end (heavier fouls see too many reds, much higher fitness levels, lighter ball).

Even vs 01/02 season there's a difference. Not as far away but still there.

In my opinion standards get higher and it filters down the leagues.

It depends on what you like to see in a football match whether or not you consider them higher standards. Today’s footballer only thinks they are superior because of the over protective mollycoddling they get from referees.

The modern footballer throws himself to the floor at the slightest touch and thinks he/she is entitled to a foul even when the contact has had absolutely no effect on their game or ability to control the ball and carry on. Gamesmanship has reached epidemic proportions to the extent that bookings and sendings off have gone through the roof which can only detract from the observer’s enjoyment of the game.

I tend to only watch lower league football for these exact reasons but it appears that every season brings the lower leagues closer to that style of play. I watched Leeds v Chelsea last night and was thoroughly bored by the negative passing and lack of entertainment generated by good fast attacks and dribbling.

In the 70’s we all derided the Italian National Team for their boring static interpassing but it appears our game has now been forever blighted by that very tactic.

I appreciate this is the future of football but I know for certain that it certainly isn’t as exiting or entertaining and we now pay throughout the nose for it. Excuse me while I nip down to the local park to watch some low skill kids play a proper game.

I do agree, I too struggle to watch PL football. I like possession based football but useful possession. Keeping it at the back and never going forwards is useless possession. By higher standards, I mean more complexity of the tactics and fitness. They are still humans but back then it was a few pints, a burger and half a pack of 20s before kick off.

I think you are probably correct Gazza but I’m not so sure the more complicated drills and tactics have actually improved things. Yes moves are more complex but they are also very repetitive with defences also being better organised to counteract and block shots etc.

I genuinely believe that it was the unpredictability of what a player was going to do that made that football more exciting. It bred players who were more individual in their style and who could rip a defence to bits as they didn’t have to stick rigidly to their manager’s master plan.

Whatever our views are, that style will never come back as the game is all about money and the big clubs getting even richer. They have an iron grip on the game and how it’s run and the little clubs no longer have a chance to shine near the top even for a brief spell. I’m just pleased I’m old enough to have witnessed the game when genuine excitement was king.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:58 pm

PFA League 2 Team Of The Season

Liam Roberts (Northampton Town)
Peter Clarke (Tranmere Rovers), Jon Guthrie (Northampton Town), Fraser Horsfall (Northampton Town),
Kane Wilson (Forest Green Rovers), Matt Jay (Exeter City), Ebou Adams (Forest Green Rovers), Nicky Cadden (Forest Green Rovers)
Dominic Telford (Newport County), Jamille Matt (Forest Green Rovers), Matt Stevens (Forest Green Rovers)
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum