{ the forum }
 
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

EFL considering scrapping Sat 3pm broadcast blackout

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

EFL considering scrapping Sat 3pm broadcast blackout

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:50 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin
 
Posts: 25613
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:20 pm
Location: Guildford

Re: EFL considering scrapping Sat 3pm broadcast blackout

Postby Bradders » Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:27 am

It's a ridiculous blackout, if the EFL have control of it.

Not least because there are lots of avid fans who simply cannot go to matches, and many more who can't afford the considerable cost of travelling to away matches. We all know that there are ways around the ban, although these aren't open to the less tech-minded. But there seems to be little effect on gate numbers. The experience of actually attending will remain a huge draw to those able and willing.

It's harsh that someone who has followed a club for perhaps sixty years but is now too elderly to attend games, should be denied access to a match that's being streamed live. Even though their subscription will benefit the EFL and the club.

You may be much younger, and too disabled to go. Or you may be ill. There are a lot of people who would benefit from an end to the ban.
User avatar
Bradders
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3937
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:58 pm

Re: EFL considering scrapping Sat 3pm broadcast blackout

Postby oldweststander » Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:11 am

Bradders wrote:It's a ridiculous blackout, if the EFL have control of it.

Not least because there are lots of avid fans who simply cannot go to matches, and many more who can't afford the considerable cost of travelling to away matches. We all know that there are ways around the ban, although these aren't open to the less tech-minded. But there seems to be little effect on gate numbers. The experience of actually attending will remain a huge draw to those able and willing.

It's harsh that someone who has followed a club for perhaps sixty years but is now too elderly to attend games, should be denied access to a match that's being streamed live. Even though their subscription will benefit the EFL and the club.

You may be much younger, and too disabled to go. Or you may be ill. There are a lot of people who would benefit from an end to the ban.



I agree 100%,

As someone who is a current season ticket holder, but has not yet attended due to Covid, I have utilised Ifollow at every opportunity and would welcome any improvement in accessing the service for those supporters who for whatever reason cannot attend.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4666
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:17 pm

Re: EFL considering scrapping Sat 3pm broadcast blackout

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:15 am

It seems to me that the only ones benefiting from a blackout are the premier league teams and the tv conglomerates.

I know a lot of money filters down but doubt that individual clubs get more than they would if streaming were allowed. Let’s not forget that overheads for clubs are much reduced if fans watch online and I’m sure there are more than enough wanting the full match day experience to keep attendances up. It’s those full day fans who create most of the atmosphere at games so I don’t think the ambiance would be drastically reduced. It may also be possible to prevent some bad weather postponements as crowd safety would not be an issue with only the pitch area needing to be cleared.

It will take some working out of rules but I can only see benefits.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 5672
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:37 pm

Re: EFL considering scrapping Sat 3pm broadcast blackout

Postby five to three » Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:24 am

It's only ever a ban when there are Premier League games. Clear who it is for the benefit of as usual.
five to three
Reserve Team
Reserve Team
 
Posts: 306
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:30 pm

Re: EFL considering scrapping Sat 3pm broadcast blackout

Postby one f in mansfield » Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:40 am

been saying for a long time , If you had to register which club you support with I-follow , you should be able to watch any AWAY game , I know of supporters who pay for games whenever I follow make them available even though they can watch them free with a dodgy stick . But if you have not got the time or money to travel to Carlisle and the game is not available for£10 then they have the option to watch without paying and do so .
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
User avatar
one f in mansfield
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2080
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:51 pm

Re: EFL considering scrapping Sat 3pm broadcast blackout

Postby young vanish » Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:28 am

Should it also incorporate a season ticket holder benefit?
Everyone paying the same flat fee, currently £10, would mean oldwestander & others in similar positions paying a hefty additional £230 for home league games alone.
⚽ What ☆ me ☆ worry? ⚽
User avatar
young vanish
Reserve Team
Reserve Team
 
Posts: 242
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:44 am
Location: Glappy

Re: EFL considering scrapping Sat 3pm broadcast blackout

Postby bear 73 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:58 am

I enjoy the match day experience but cannot attend mid week or away games.
Ifollow has been brilliant and i am more than willing to pay to watch matches Mid week matches are good for me , and all away games would be great
A lot of thought has to go into Saturday Home games for the club it could affect the home support, but more away fans would have access to the games
bear 73
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1440
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:01 pm

Re: EFL considering scrapping Sat 3pm broadcast blackout

Postby bear 73 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:00 pm

young vanish wrote:Should it also incorporate a season ticket holder benefit?
Everyone paying the same flat fee, currently £10, would mean oldwestander & others in similar positions paying a hefty additional £230 for home league games alone.

Yes a lfollow season ticket for home games could work
bear 73
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1440
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:01 pm

Re: EFL considering scrapping Sat 3pm broadcast blackout

Postby one f in mansfield » Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:09 pm

young vanish wrote:Should it also incorporate a season ticket holder benefit?
Everyone paying the same flat fee, currently £10, would mean oldwestander & others in similar positions paying a hefty additional £230 for home league games alone.


I live 20 miles away and getting there for night games makes it a bit of a rush , if I had the option of watching from home tomorrow I would consider it , If others felt the same way then crowds / atmosphere and support for the players would suffer , With a little bit of planning I will be there and that is how it should be for home games . feel sorry for anyone who cannot make home games for what ever reason but I don't think home games should be available .
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
User avatar
one f in mansfield
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2080
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:51 pm

Re: EFL considering scrapping Sat 3pm broadcast blackout

Postby Bros » Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:14 pm

I am iny 65th year of following the Stags. I can make the away games with the help of the other two grumpy old men. However a time may come when i might have to rely on ifollow to see them
I can recall in my youth that it was more difficult to get to away games and many times at FM the sway attendance was minimal
I shall attend home and away for as long as I can but I don't see a problem with streaming. The club can always give incentives for attending and priority on getting tickets for big games
Nunc est bibendum
Bros
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1065
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:33 am

Re: EFL considering scrapping Sat 3pm broadcast blackout

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:24 pm

Home games would be available though. You can't allow one without the other.

If our home game is unavailable it will be available for the away team. So available to home fans.


It's all or nothing..

If they end the broadcast then it will see a price increase. £10 is too cheap compared to a matchday ticket. Unfortunately.

What they need to do is set it up the way tickets are now, up and down the country. A few quid cheaper because it's arguably a "worse" seat (as in the cameraman chooses where you look).

Have regular season tickets get access to a code for all ifollow home game if they can't get in person (which deactivates the ticket for attending in person for that game to avoid abuse).

Have a cheaper ifollow season ticket. But allow them to swap for a match ticket for a small fee (like £5 for example) which, if we do well, gets bums out of armchairs and into the stadium. Maybe a deal where a ifollow season ticket holder rcan upgrade for free for certain games.

Try and negotiate a deal to allow video stream of cup games. Perhaps follow same rules for gate receipts split.

If done right it could be revolutionary. If done by EFL it will be a horrific nightmare. That's my concern.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
User avatar
gazza1988
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 12029
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:23 pm
Location: Beeston, Nottingham

Re: EFL considering scrapping Sat 3pm broadcast blackout

Postby Richard Cranium » Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:27 pm

Next Ifollow season ticket holders will be demanding they get first dibs on big away marches
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3623
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:37 pm

Re: EFL considering scrapping Sat 3pm broadcast blackout

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:47 pm

I do seriously think that it will make little difference to the match day experience fans. The pre match pint and get together with mates is often as important as the match to some and also the main reason they attend. The same sometimes applies to the young singing lads.

I’m not saying they don’t enjoy watching the game but it isn’t the be all and end all if they miss a bit.

The biggest danger to attendances would be if groups decided to watch together in sheds, front rooms etc paying one fee and spending the rest on liquid refreshments. That way they would retain the overall comradeship whilst spending less. Obviously that would also impact on beer, pie sales etc for clubs which should also be reckoned in.

The threat of doing it could possibly be used as a bargaining chip when it comes to tv money filtering down the pyramid as it certainly isn’t equitable at the moment.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 5672
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:37 pm

Re: EFL considering scrapping Sat 3pm broadcast blackout

Postby one f in mansfield » Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:48 pm

gazza1988 wrote:Home games would be available though. You can't allow one without the other.

If our home game is unavailable it will be available for the away team. So available to home fans.


It's all or nothing..


Disagree , if you registered as a support of any club you get a membership number , enter your membership number to watch a game . if your number is not for an away game of your club then you cannot subscribe , sorted .
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
User avatar
one f in mansfield
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2080
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:51 pm

Re: EFL considering scrapping Sat 3pm broadcast blackout

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:50 pm

one f in mansfield wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:Home games would be available though. You can't allow one without the other.

If our home game is unavailable it will be available for the away team. So available to home fans.


It's all or nothing..

Disagree , if you registered as a support of any club you get a membership number , enter your membership number to watch a game . if your number is not for an away game of your club then you cannot subscribe , sorted .


What’s to stop you registering for every club in your league using a different email address every time?
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 5672
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:37 pm

Re: EFL considering scrapping Sat 3pm broadcast blackout

Postby Bradders » Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:51 pm

one f in mansfield wrote:
young vanish wrote:Should it also incorporate a season ticket holder benefit?
Everyone paying the same flat fee, currently £10, would mean oldwestander & others in similar positions paying a hefty additional £230 for home league games alone.


I live 20 miles away and getting there for night games makes it a bit of a rush , if I had the option of watching from home tomorrow I would consider it , If others felt the same way then crowds / atmosphere and support for the players would suffer , With a little bit of planning I will be there and that is how it should be for home games . feel sorry for anyone who cannot make home games for what ever reason but I don't think home games should be available .

Home games are available already, if it's a night match. With very healthy attendance figures at the Wonk.
User avatar
Bradders
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3937
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:58 pm

Re: EFL considering scrapping Sat 3pm broadcast blackout

Postby broomo » Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:58 pm

I'd happily pay £460 for a full season of ifollow games.

I'd probably still go to a few games even if they were all available live.

Tomorrow for example, due to timing issues travel wise I leave at 10.30 am then won't get home until 8am Wednesday but it's such a crucial game I want to be there in person.

I think ifollow is a brilliant way for fans who can't get to games to watch and I bet there would be a decent take up for either an exclusively home or away game scheme at £230 quid.

Offer the cup games for free to anyone who buys a home and away package.
broomo
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 842
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:55 pm

Re: EFL considering scrapping Sat 3pm broadcast blackout

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:26 pm

one f in mansfield wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:Home games would be available though. You can't allow one without the other.

If our home game is unavailable it will be available for the away team. So available to home fans.


It's all or nothing..


Disagree , if you registered as a support of any club you get a membership number , enter your membership number to watch a game . if your number is not for an away game of your club then you cannot subscribe , sorted .

I'm sure it would be very easy to register as a fan of each club. Sign up to a Google email and you have lots of "unique" email addresses using the "." trick. Back when Netflix offered a free month to new subscribers just put a random full stop in your name part of the email and it's like a new email address but all email goes to the original account.

The only way around it would be to charge for membership to a club. £5 a pop. That'd stop me (well it wouldn't I'd still get access to it semi-legit, the club would still get my money but that's using the technical route bradders alluded to) and that would be because you'd have to shell out £115 a season to other clubs on top to watch it.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
User avatar
gazza1988
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 12029
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:23 pm
Location: Beeston, Nottingham

Re: EFL considering scrapping Sat 3pm broadcast blackout

Postby Sedgwick » Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:42 pm

Ive just used a vpn when I cant travel and its not on a weekday. Club still gets the money

Just open it up to all
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 6699
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:01 pm
Location: Bristol

Re: EFL considering scrapping Sat 3pm broadcast blackout

Postby Bradders » Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:36 pm

Sedgwick wrote:Ive just used a vpn when I cant travel and its not on a weekday. Club still gets the money

Just open it up to all

Absolutely. And the club will also benefit from quite a few payments from Stags outside the area who will otherwise just be following the match for free or using an audio subscription. It just seems crazy that iFollow goes to some trouble to prevent people from paying to watch their stream!
User avatar
Bradders
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3937
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:58 pm

Re: EFL considering scrapping Sat 3pm broadcast blackout

Postby Marky Mark » Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:04 pm

I suspect that there'd end up being some price tiering involved, and wouldnt be surpised if it ended up being bundled in with a season ticket. Ultimately the club aren't going to want to end up losing out on money because of this, and why would they - so there'd be no benefit to them in making ifollow cheaper than a season ticket, or cheaper than a pay on the day - so I'd also expect that a single home game would end up being more than a pay on the day. It's the only way the pricing structure would work - there's no incentive for them in making it cheaper to stay at home and watch it.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
User avatar
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4575
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:48 pm
Location: New Brighton

Re: EFL considering scrapping Sat 3pm broadcast blackout

Postby Bradders » Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:10 pm

Marky Mark wrote:I suspect that there'd end up being some price tiering involved, and wouldnt be surpised if it ended up being bundled in with a season ticket. Ultimately the club aren't going to want to end up losing out on money because of this, and why would they - so there'd be no benefit to them in making ifollow cheaper than a season ticket, or cheaper than a pay on the day - so I'd also expect that a single home game would end up being more than a pay on the day. It's the only way the pricing structure would work - there's no incentive for them in making it cheaper to stay at home and watch it.

I don't think that it's as simple as people choosing whether to watch the match from home or at the ground. They're two very different products. A lot of people only go to one or two matches per season, and if iFollow was available for all matches they'd probably watch a lot more games, and still turn up only for one or two. The iFollow price should remain somewhat cheaper than a match ticket, as it's likely to attract the less committed.

Some sort of season ticket scheme might be possible, but there's not much point in us trying to devise one.
User avatar
Bradders
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3937
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:58 pm

Re: EFL considering scrapping Sat 3pm broadcast blackout

Postby Marky Mark » Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:23 pm

Bradders wrote:
Marky Mark wrote:I suspect that there'd end up being some price tiering involved, and wouldnt be surpised if it ended up being bundled in with a season ticket. Ultimately the club aren't going to want to end up losing out on money because of this, and why would they - so there'd be no benefit to them in making ifollow cheaper than a season ticket, or cheaper than a pay on the day - so I'd also expect that a single home game would end up being more than a pay on the day. It's the only way the pricing structure would work - there's no incentive for them in making it cheaper to stay at home and watch it.

I don't think that it's as simple as people choosing whether to watch the match from home or at the ground. They're two very different products. A lot of people only go to one or two matches per season, and if iFollow was available for all matches they'd probably watch a lot more games, and still turn up only for one or two. The iFollow price should remain somewhat cheaper than a match ticket, as it's likely to attract the less committed.

Some sort of season ticket scheme might be possible, but there's not much point in us trying to devise one.


They're the same product, but different ways of obtaining it. For that reason you cant make the possibility of watching 23 home games on your tv per season cheaper than buying a season ticket to sit in the ground, regardless of how many times the purchaser would or wouldn't have gone to the game - and for the same reason you cant make purchasing the game to watch on the day cheaper than it would be to walk up and buy. No club would (or should) allow watching every game on tv to be cheaper than going into the ground.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
User avatar
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4575
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:48 pm
Location: New Brighton

Re: EFL considering scrapping Sat 3pm broadcast blackout

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:03 pm

Marky Mark wrote:
Bradders wrote:
Marky Mark wrote:I suspect that there'd end up being some price tiering involved, and wouldnt be surpised if it ended up being bundled in with a season ticket. Ultimately the club aren't going to want to end up losing out on money because of this, and why would they - so there'd be no benefit to them in making ifollow cheaper than a season ticket, or cheaper than a pay on the day - so I'd also expect that a single home game would end up being more than a pay on the day. It's the only way the pricing structure would work - there's no incentive for them in making it cheaper to stay at home and watch it.

I don't think that it's as simple as people choosing whether to watch the match from home or at the ground. They're two very different products. A lot of people only go to one or two matches per season, and if iFollow was available for all matches they'd probably watch a lot more games, and still turn up only for one or two. The iFollow price should remain somewhat cheaper than a match ticket, as it's likely to attract the less committed.

Some sort of season ticket scheme might be possible, but there's not much point in us trying to devise one.


They're the same product, but different ways of obtaining it. For that reason you cant make the possibility of watching 23 home games on your tv per season cheaper than buying a season ticket to sit in the ground, regardless of how many times the purchaser would or wouldn't have gone to the game - and for the same reason you cant make purchasing the game to watch on the day cheaper than it would be to walk up and buy. No club would (or should) allow watching every game on tv to be cheaper than going into the ground.


You could argue that there are less overheads for the club if you watch online. The fan base could also grow to a bigger number than the crowd capacity without the expense of improving the ground.

There are obviously pros and cons for a scheme which is why a great deal of thought should go into it. Whatever the outcome the tv companies will do their best to block it.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 5672
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:37 pm

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AshoverStag, BELSE, broomo, halifaxstag, stagmanrob, stags1963, Tippy Tappy Football and 32 guests