{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

EFL considering scrapping Sat 3pm broadcast blackout

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: EFL considering scrapping Sat 3pm broadcast blackout

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:30 pm

Sneag wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:But you can stream on a Saturday if you do it on an illegal stream.

That tells me that attending the ground is still more popular and groups don’t watch in sheds etc. If they just wanted to save money, they could do that now.

I think the ones who are less likely to attend will be the ones who go purely to watch the match not the ones who go for a drink with their mates.

If they are going to broadcast live, they will need more than one camera and a more professional set up and editing or it won’t attract enough to make a big difference to crowd numbers.

People viewing through illegal streams do not give a raspberries about the clubs they purport to support.

Possibly so but that’s not the point. Those attending now have no need to if money is their only concern and that won’t change if all games are streamed.

I concede it may make a difference in terrible weather but apart from then, people will still go for the social aspect if that’s what attracts them. Those who can’t attend for a myriad of reasons may put money in the coffers by paying either for a single or a seasonal stream.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:00 pm

The authorities will never allow a direct choice between going to the ground or watching on TV for an equivalent cost - if they do it'll be the death of the game. For every additional watcher you get in Kuala Lumpar, 4 from Langwith wont be arsed going - and that nets out at a loss. All of the infrastructure is in ground, the overheads are all ground based - the whole football business model is based around fans attending a stadium. Watching football has never been about the convenience of the supporter, there isn't an entertainment industry that hates its customers more and makes watching product more painful and less fun, so they aren't going to give you the ability to watch it in the convenience of your home for less than you'd pay going into the ground - why on earth would they actively try and reduce the price that someone might pay?

Literally the only way that TV works in that respect is if it's treated as an 'added to' benefit, rather than an 'instead of'. It'll be something you can only get once the maximum money has been wrung out of you - e.g, you'll be able to get it as a season ticket holder, but only for an additional cost, and it'll be something that you can buy only on the day, again at a vastly inflated cost to what it would be to pay on the day. Whatever way it is structured you will pay more, guaranteed.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:10 pm

Yes, as I said, those that want the system to stay as it is are just selfish and don't care about those who support but cannot attend.

I have paid and watched 35 games this season and it has been a lifeline to me and the club has benefitted financially when the games were at home.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby eggy » Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:29 pm

OWS, I understand and respect your reasons for not going to games, and your desire to keep supporting the club is admirable. But I don't think constantly calling people selfish because they might disagree on what is best for MTFC is gonna sway them to your way of thinking.
eggy
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:44 pm

eggy wrote:OWS, I understand and respect your reasons for not going to games, and your desire to keep supporting the club is admirable. But I don't think constantly calling people selfish because they might disagree on what is best for MTFC is gonna sway them to your way of thinking.

Not interested in swaying them Eggy, just putting my point of view.

I am not asking them to watch via Ifollow but object to them saying it would spoil it for them etc so don't help others.

At the end of the day it is the EFL who will change it or not.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:05 pm

oldweststander wrote:
eggy wrote:OWS, I understand and respect your reasons for not going to games, and your desire to keep supporting the club is admirable. But I don't think constantly calling people selfish because they might disagree on what is best for MTFC is gonna sway them to your way of thinking.

I am not asking them to watch via Ifollow but object to them saying it would spoil it for them etc so don't help others.

It's not about spoiling it for those that want to attend or who want to watch live, it's the risk that if it's done wrong it will destroy the clubs for everyone.

The ultimate aim of the greedy so & sos who are wrecking football is a EPL & EPL 2 closed shop of around 40 big city clubs. They care not one jot for the smaller provincial clubs.

As McCoy would say, "It's a trap Jim!"
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:35 pm

Sneag wrote:
oldweststander wrote:

It's not about spoiling it for those that want to attend or who want to watch live, it's the risk that if it's done wrong it will destroy the clubs for everyone.

The ultimate aim of the greedy so & sos who are wrecking football is a EPL & EPL 2 closed shop of around 40 big city clubs. They care not one jot for the smaller provincial clubs.

I suspect OWS knows this but his main concern surrounds whether he will be able to watch games at home. Understandable I guess but it's quite laughable he is the one accusing others of being selfish!

Of course the bigger picture, as you say Sneag, is the clear desire of the money men to bring an end to our wonderful football pyramid. They don't want Sunderland, Derby and Sheff Wed playing in Div 3. This "EFL" decision, assuming it will go through, has nothing to do with the fans, the benefits to those like OWS and my Dad are purely accidental.

I'd ask those in favour why they think this "ban" was brought in all those decades ago?
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:20 pm

I think you may be missing the point here. Opening up the EFL to live games is not what has killed attendances, Sky and the Premier League have done that already. They have already stripped away the casual supporter who now watches the mega clubs and buys their merchandise from the internet. Those supporters are long gone and will probably never return.

The chances of smaller clubs attracting those fans is about nil as they just can’t compete. In short their exposure via the media is minuscule and thus their fan bases will continue to decline.

At the moment the only way to watch your local small club is to either attend or watch via illegal streaming. You cannot buy the product any other way on a Saturday.

It’s a fact that in the 60’s, if you didn’t get to the ground by 2.15, you weren’t in by kick off. The availability of watching on tv has totally changed that and crowds at grounds will never return to the numbers they once were. No matter how much you complain and act like a bunch of Luddites that trend will not be reversed.

If lower league football is to attract its own fans, they have to reach out and find a way to include those who can’t attend for whatever reason or lose them to the bigger clubs forever.

I firmly believe that their will always be fans who want the full match day experience and will continue to attend grounds in numbers. They will only decline if their club fails to attract a new generation by not using every available means to publicise their product including the streaming of live games.

If you can’t buy it, you don’t become a fan.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby HU7stag » Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:45 pm

Rob wrote:We saw in lockdown how soul-less football was without fans, now we have people on here who "can't see a downside" to allowing every game to be live streamed, which for anyone with basic IT knowledge, means available for free. I can only guess those who think it is a good idea have no idea how to stream these games for free and hence think everyone who watches it are paying for it .......

Watching games live is a thousand times better than watching it on a computer screen. If it comes in we'll be back to the hardcore and the 3k "fair-weather" folk who are now attending games will choose the simple option of watching at home or indeed wherever they might be.

It's shocking to me that so many of you think it is a good idea, I'll soon be sat on my own in the Mill, Face Timing my lads telling them how things used to be, the songs we used to sing, the abuse we used to give oppo players and managers, the song about coming on a skateboard we sung to Crawley/Sutton/Harrogate etc, how crap the pies were etc, etc. I want my kids and future grand kids to watch football live, not on a screen, which they use for almost everything else in their lives.

I'm flipping out, its a big fat shitting no from me, but it will happen anyway.

Very well put. These are my thoughts on this proposal as well. This would be very damaging for low league clubs. It's a no from me.
HU7stag
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:07 pm

Rob wrote:
Sneag wrote:
oldweststander wrote:

I suspect OWS knows this but his main concern surrounds whether he will be able to watch games at home. Understandable I guess but it's quite laughable he is the one accusing others of being selfish!

Of course the bigger picture, as you say Sneag, is the clear desire of the money men to bring an end to our wonderful football pyramid. They don't want Sunderland, Derby and Sheff Wed playing in Div 3. This "EFL" decision, assuming it will go through, has nothing to do with the fans, the benefits to those like OWS and my Dad are purely accidental.

I'd ask those in favour why they think this "ban" was brought in all those decades ago?

I think your comments are absurd and groundless re a threat to the lower leagues.
Go watch live football at the One Call like I will very soon but to deny those who CANNOT attend and would willingly pay to watch from home is not fair.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:33 pm

At the end of the day all that matters is money. Which would make the most money?

They charge £20 per game and one fan decides to stay at home instead for £20 instead of £26 the club loses £6. However a fan that pays £5 a month for audio might upgrade and watch the match instead. Quite a few can't get because of time rather than funds so would buy a match pass rather than keep refreshing the match thread for my barely legible match updates revolving around players defecating at goal :D.

I'll support this with a price increase. Keep it at £10 and attendances would drop.

Maybe a lower tier where you watch in standard definition, it would be like minecraft but kinda watchable.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:41 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby zod » Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:14 am

Looking at it another way say someone cannot get to the game as they are working away etc, at the minute they have no legal way of watching games.
In my book that's another loss of revenue.

Personally, if I could stream all the games for the same price as a season ticket I'd still go and watch at the ground.
I don't get folk would all stay at home, nearly all premier league games are on TV but they still sell out most of them.
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Stag95 » Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:28 am

If Forest are at home for a sold-out 3pm kick off, we might have gotten a few extra on the gate.

If it was fair the premier league should cover reductions in attendances if that did happen but of course they’d never do that.
Stag95
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:33 am

I hope that the 3pm Saturday ban is lifted.

It's frustrating, now that we're generally much poorer than a few years ago and away matches are beyond the means of a lot who would like to go. It's one thing that the admission prices are high, but the extravagant transport costs are beyond justification for many. And there's a live stream of the match which you can't legally access, even if you're prepared to pay the admission price. Without a live stream, the clubs get zero income from them

Then there are fans who've been attending for decades but now find even home matches too much of a challenge. It's hardly easy to get to a match at the Wonk if you're elderly and infirm, and unless you can afford sky high prices it's very uncomfortable in the stadium. Many can still afford to pay for the stream though, and are contributing something to the club.

Yes, there will be a few who might have made the effort but decide that the live stream is the better choice on the day. But apart from the groups who can't afford to travel or aren't fit enough, there are those who can't make it on a particular date, or have moved out of the area, or would rarely have a whole afternoon to dedicate (but can spare a couple of hours). I feel that financially, clubs will be better off with legal Saturday streaming.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:39 pm

Bradders wrote:I hope that the 3pm Saturday ban is lifted.

It's frustrating, now that we're generally much poorer than a few years ago and away matches are beyond the means of a lot who would like to go. It's one thing that the admission prices are high, but the extravagant transport costs are beyond justification for many. And there's a live stream of the match which you can't legally access, even if you're prepared to pay the admission price. Without a live stream, the clubs get zero income from them

Then there are fans who've been attending for decades but now find even home matches too much of a challenge. It's hardly easy to get to a match at the Wonk if you're elderly and infirm, and unless you can afford sky high prices it's very uncomfortable in the stadium. Many can still afford to pay for the stream though, and are contributing something to the club.

Yes, there will be a few who might have made the effort but decide that the live stream is the better choice on the day. But apart from the groups who can't afford to travel or aren't fit enough, there are those who can't make it on a particular date, or have moved out of the area, or would rarely have a whole afternoon to dedicate (but can spare a couple of hours). I feel that financially, clubs will be better off with legal Saturday streaming.

How about just making the facility available for away games, if that is possible.

Would help the net zero agenda a bit.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:24 pm

oldweststander wrote:How about just making the facility available for away games, if that is possible.

it isn't practical. Home fans who want to buy a match pass could just get it from the away club.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby oldweststander » Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:01 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
oldweststander wrote:How about just making the facility available for away games, if that is possible.

it isn't practical. Home fans who want to buy a match pass could just get it from the away club.

I understand that but if someone who cannot attend home games but still wants to support the club then making home and away games available would help them.

Yes, I get the argument that some regular attenders may not bother going from time to time and therefore the club would lose entrance money but on the other hand, those who would love to watch the Stags home and away but cannot attend for many reasons would be able to put money into the clubs coffers and watch the games.

The big issue is how do you stop folks watching illegally for free?
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:05 pm

One good thing, if it does get approval it won't be until season 23/24, giving folk time to save up for a new armchair.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:49 pm

OWS you keep saying the word 'cannot' but you are actually choosing not to go to games it's not because you can't.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:05 pm

Dan wrote:OWS you keep saying the word 'cannot' but you are actually choosing not to go to games it's not because you can't.

Hi Dan, those days have now past, eagerly awaiting my invitation to renew my season ticket.

I am not asking to benefit me but there are many who CANNOT attend even though they would like too. Illness, old age, being carers, cost or lack of transport are just a few reasons why going to the One Call is impossible for some.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:08 pm

oldweststander wrote:
Dan wrote:OWS you keep saying the word 'cannot' but you are actually choosing not to go to games it's not because you can't.

Hi Dan, those days have now past, eagerly awaiting my invitation to renew my season ticket.

I am not asking to benefit me but there are many who CANNOT attend even though they would like too. Illness, old age, being carers, cost or lack of transport are just a few reasons why going to the One Call is impossible for some.

Good stuff glad to hear that. Yes I agree with you on the rest.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:43 pm

I'd like to see a season ticket that you can use as a streaming subscription, so that you can either attend the match in person or get a "free" pass to watch it on TV. Obviously there would be some details to sort out, but it would be great for people who can get to some (or no) home matches but sometimes (or always) struggle to attend.

When I lived 5 hours from Mansfield I used to pay about 50 quid a season to the club for the couple of matches I could get to, and the rest of the time lost touch as it was pretty much text updates and email groups. I'd have been happy to get a season ticket and watch from home for the matches impossible to get to.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Elkesley Stag » Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:06 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:

Register and name the club you support, get a membership number with the club code ,for example NG18 5DA , enter your code and pay your money for away games. If they are playing at home then you would be blocked. Easy enough to see if someone registers for more than one club .
Elkesley Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:13 pm

Elkesley Stag wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

Register and name the club you support, get a membership number with the club code ,for example NG18 5DA , enter your code and pay your money for away games. If they are playing at home then you would be blocked. Easy enough to see if someone registers for more than one club .

Unfortunately that’s no good for the casual viewer. If you are going to allow single views (and they would be mad not to because that’s how you get the revenue) then you would just register at every club with a single use email address and watch home games that way.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum